We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Instance: The Shadow in Morthond

Any other lightweight class having trouble soloing the Vol IV. Book 1, Chapter 12 instance, The Shadow in Morthond? I've tried it close to 10 times now and I can't get past the first mob. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by StarScaper View Post
    Any other lightweight class having trouble soloing the Vol IV. Book 1, Chapter 12 instance, The Shadow in Morthond? I've tried it close to 10 times now and I can't get past the first mob. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    When you enter the instance, right click on Rovalang and make the glowing ring go away. Then right click him again and choose to Succeed by yourself. Be prepared for a few mobs to spawn (bears and birds), kill them off and then sneak past the fell-beast (you don't have to fight it) and then at the end you fight the Nazgul.

If you have trouble, just mount up on your war-steed. It makes it easier.

The fellowship version is soloable this way by me as well. (On war-steed)
    Chromite (Hunter) - Grumbletocks (Guardian) on Landroval, Appendage (Hunter) on Brandywine

I'm choosing the solo option for this instance. I don't get past the first mob — the birds and bears are either killing me or Rovalang too quickly. I'm a Rune-Keeper, I have no CC skills. I'm good at both healing and dps, but if I focus on healing, either myself or Rovalang still goes down. If I focus on DPS, same results. If I mount up on warsteed, then Rovalang gets killed. If I get the aggro off of Rovalang, I die; if I let him keep it, he dies because there's always a pesky bird or two who turns on me and interrupts my heals and beats me down. Any suggestions.

That's wierd cos Rovalang pretty much did the whole instance for me alone, I just stayed back and threw a few punches when it was needed. :O

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBeard View Post
    That's wierd cos Rovalang pretty much did the whole instance for me alone, I just stayed back and threw a few punches when it was needed. :O
    Not for me, but that might be a matter of level. At 96 (orange mobs), he's toast in short order if left by himself. I can keep him alive, but only at the cost of my own life after which he's dead anyway. Mobs are too bunched to effectively CC — Rovalang just runs up to the group and breaks CC on them indiscriminately. Bad team etiquette, that.

Maybe in a level or two it will be a lot easier.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=deepskyblue]Lle merna aut farien?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a000000005532/01008/signature.png]Northwoods[/charsig][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][B][SIZE=2][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=magenta][COLOR=yellow]
    Playing music in LotRO is as easy as [URL="http://abcnotation.org.uk/"]ABC![/URL][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

Do it like mounted combat, mount your warsteed, pull enough MOBs off the NPC that he won't die, ride in endless circles DPSing. Since you can't take much damage while mounted, it's just a matter of time. If your warsteed gets knocked out from under you, just mount another, there's a reason mine is named, "Glue".

If you feel like the warsteed method is cheating, which, admittedly, it is, albeit a provided game mechanic, then be sure to DPS the same MOB the NPC is DPSing, so the incoming damage is reduced twice as fast. IE, select the NPC and be sure target forwarding is on in game options so your attacks go through the NPC to the MOB it's targeting.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Quote Originally Posted by StarScaper View Post
    I'm choosing the solo option for this instance. I don't get past the first mob — the birds and bears are either killing me or Rovalang too quickly. I'm a Rune-Keeper, I have no CC skills. I'm good at both healing and dps, but if I focus on healing, either myself or Rovalang still goes down. If I focus on DPS, same results. If I mount up on warsteed, then Rovalang gets killed. If I get the aggro off of Rovalang, I die; if I let him keep it, he dies because there's always a pesky bird or two who turns on me and interrupts my heals and beats me down. Any suggestions.
    you are incorrect that RKs don't have CC skills, lightning RKs reflect mez on incoming damage and also AoE stun mobs for 8 seconds. that's more than enough to take down all those mobs on the first pull.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Stuck in combat help!!

I must have tapped the bane because the "quest cannot be completed in combat" I have tried to exit and re-enter, I have tried everything but as soon as I try to click the dude to complete quest, i automatically am "in combat" when I "leave instance" then re enter instance, I climb the hill and the Bane is sitting next to the quest dude, which puts me back in combat..... Help???
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0c214000000082ec2/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

I found the only way my level 100 hunter could complete this (after 4 fails) was to mount up, use the 'Rohirrim' (blue) stance. Target as many of the creatures as I could, and then switch back to targeting through Rovalang and ride around DPS-ing. You then end up with about 4 minutes left to face the Nazgul. I adopted the same approach with the Nazgul and took him down with a minute to spare. I've not idea if that is cheating, but doing it on foot was impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Webgrecian View Post
    I adopted the same approach with the Nazgul and took him down with a minute to spare. I've not idea if that is cheating, but doing it on foot was impossible.
    For me, doing it on foot wasn't impossible... just unpleasant.
    On Hunter, changed to Blue, let Rovalang take the lead (target forwarding on), and didn't use my heavy hitters. Kited like heck, and slowly chipped away the Morale of the Nazgûl. Worked ok, though I did have to burn through several available buffs; frankly, didn't even think of mounting up... for some reason, thought that was disabled. Oh well. Got through it on first Live-go, still.
    [center]Jestem tym, czym jestem.[/center]

I was able to finish this one on foot after dying a couple times on my RK, traited yellow, but with enough point in healing to get the healing runestone. The trouble spot I had was with that first pull. What worked for me was to let Rovalang to pull initially. Next I pulled one of the bears off to the side and stunned it, then went back in and did an aoe stun on the rest of the group, dropped a healing runestone, and started taking down the birds. When that stun wore off, I used the lighting runestone to stun them again and continued taking down birds. After that I had to start kiting and using stuns as they came available until the last bear died. I didn't worry about Rovalang too much cause after about half way through most of the mobs were on me anyway.
    I think at one point I also used steady hands and switched to healing to get my health back up, get a shield up and then back to dpsing. It was close by I made it.

I had a similar problem with the 3 signature mobs in the library training instance, but the only way I could survive that one was to kite them around the lower plaza.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3]The Haruchai and The Elohim[/SIZE]
    Barabolas - 100 Champ | Gilgaros - 100 LM | Findheleth - 100 Cappy | Thaswin - 100 Burg | Nimbreleth - 100 RK

[/CENTER]

It's weird.

It seems to me I had no trouble with this on my LM but had a much harder go of it on my hunter.

To finally get it on my hunter I ran the whole thing in yellow line. That let me run ahead and trap many beasts so we didn't need to kill them all at once. I then stayed in yellow and endurance for the Nazgul to avoid pulling aggro. It was still dicey, but made it.