We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Update 14 Turbine point cost

Does anyone know how much the update will cost (in turbine points) for those who are not VIP?

750 to

Need more chars
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Yep, it was listed on Bullroarer at 795TP. That's no promise that the pricing will be set there, since everything on BR is subject to change, but it seems likely to be the price.

That's separate from Helm's Deep then right? If so what does it include?

Yes it is separate from HD and the epics, I believe, are free to everyone. As for what it includes, aside from the obvious things like bug fixes, etc., the quest pack works pretty much the same as all the others. Everyone can enter the zone but in order to complete quests or deeds you have to own the quest pack.

I believe there is some form of a 3-man instance which is likely included in that price. If the price does not change, it seems like a pretty good deal. I've unfortunately been too busy to test on BR and see for myself, but I've heard the landscape is beautiful and as I never have too much complaint about quests (I really don't mind carrying around dirty dishes and whatnot -- a relaxing change of pace for me), I don't think it is likely to be a bad purchase.

I can't say anything on what the end-game grind will be like, though. Quality of quests is one thing, but grinds are a totally different kettle of fish. Remains to be seen. I didn't mind Hytbold (though I felt it was too long). Wildermore seemed about right. Fangorn was and remains dreadful (from a grind point of view as well as a group-questing point of view). There is supposed to be something a la Limlight Gorge, from what I understand. So that might help with the group-questing POV.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Yes it is separate from HD and the epics, I believe, are free to everyone.
    Are they "free" free or are they only able to be continued after you've finished Helm's Deep/Entwood epics?
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Are they "free" free or are they only able to be continued after you've finished Helm's Deep/Entwood epics?
    It is a new Volume. It has a its own starting point for the new Epic line. I do not know if the Big Battle unlock that you get from purchasing Helms Deep is required.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    It is a new Volume. It has a its own starting point for the new Epic line. I do not know if the Big Battle unlock that you get from purchasing Helms Deep is required.
    It is not. You can start it if you completely skip HD and BBs
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Seems a bit off to me. If you didn't purchase HD regardless of account status, you couldn't finish VOL III or do anything in Westemnet, but you can start VOL IV with U14 without paying for it. The Epic Story was free to everyone up through Wildermore, then HD had to be purchased to continue/finish, now we are back to Epic being free again. So, the question is, are there plans to make the Epic free in HD?

For me it's not an issue because I am VIP, but I can see where it might be for some.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    As with the start of all volumes to date, it is a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by Octaviane View Post
    Seems a bit off to me. If you didn't purchase HD regardless of account status, you couldn't finish VOL III or do anything in Westemnet, but you can start VOL IV with U14 without paying for it. The Epic Story was free to everyone up through Wildermore, then HD had to be purchased to continue/finish, now we are back to Epic being free again. So, the question is, are there plans to make the Epic free in HD?

For me it's not an issue because I am VIP, but I can see where it might be for some.
    Once upon a time the epics were "free" until they hit Lorien. Access had to be given eventually in round-about ways. To this day the Epilogue is not considered a part of the epics because it requires purchase content. Will these last few books of V3 someday be free to all without any strings attached? Perhaps. But leaving them as is (regardless of what label you put on them) has occurred in the past.

To be honest, the first two books (of HD) and the last book (U13) of Volume 3 didn't really have any connection to the EBs. In my eyes, Turbine could easily have made them free and merely locked up one single book into the HD xpac for the EBs. Why they didn't I don't know. It could easily have been a money thing. I do understand locking the EBs up -- it's a new system that is not on landscape so it doesn't really need to be free. War-steeds, their last system, is landscape so it's kinda necessary for everyone to have access to. But just like there are free and purchase-required instances, and free and purchase-required skirms, there are purchase-required EBs. Maybe someday down the road they'll throw out a bone and give people some free EBs. I dunno. I understand the reasoning behind locking a single book into the EBs, and by extension into the xpac. As to the rest, though... *shrug*
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

They've now posted this update information on the LOTRO site, and have posted to Facebook and Twitter that U14 will be free for VIPs and cost 795 TPs for F2P/Premiums.

I guess that's confirmation then. XD
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    It is not. You can start it if you completely skip HD and BBs
    I know that players cannot start the end of Volume-III at fangorn/Flooded isengard until they have finished the epics of HD. Not sure if the start of V-IV will have the same kind of lock though.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I know that players cannot start the end of Volume-III at fangorn/Flooded isengard until they have finished the epics of HD. Not sure if the start of V-IV will have the same kind of lock though.
    As far as I can tell and taking what I've seen written, Volume 4 will be a fresh start and be free to everyone. There is no system tie-in to gate it.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by Octaviane View Post
    So, the question is, are there plans to make the Epic free in HD?

No. We've explained the decision several times as relates to the Epic in HD, and some have repeated it here. There is no current plan to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    As far as I can tell and taking what I've seen written, Volume 4 will be a fresh start and be free to everyone. There is no system tie-in to gate it.
    The Epic story in Update 14 will be free for everyone. The content will be free for VIP and 795 TP for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    No. We've explained the decision several times as relates to the Epic in HD, and some have repeated it here. There is no current plan to change it.

The Epic story in Update 14 will be free for everyone. The content will be free for VIP and 795 TP for everyone else.
    I know this sounds wierd but I sorta wish it was not free for VIP too. I think it looks like a worthy update and personally I like to support the game.