We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Questions from a Returning Player

    My Girlfriend and I have started playing LoTRO. This is her first MMO and I played years ago when the level cap was 65. We moved to the Brandywine server for the population so we are fresh starting. I play a Captain with her and a Warden when I solo. I'm wondering what the best way to level is? Someone said Skirms are the best most efficient way to level, but I feel that you'd miss out on deeds for TP and Virtues. Also as a VIP player with up to the MoM expansion, if I hit 95 I assume I'd have to purchase the HD expansion to work on getting level 95 gear? Is it worth trying to get RoR or Isenguard? I know that U14 is coming soon which will raise the level cap to 100 so just wondering what the best plan of action is.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    I would suggest buying as many x pacs as you can. They all have entertaining quests and storys, as well as really fun instances that you can run (except for RoR). My opinion of course.

    I would suggest running skirms only for fun, take your time and simply enjoy the world. DO NOT rush to cap, you will miss the best part
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by blodgettna29 View Post
    My Girlfriend and I have started playing LoTRO. This is her first MMO and I played years ago when the level cap was 65. We moved to the Brandywine server for the population so we are fresh starting. I play a Captain with her and a Warden when I solo. I'm wondering what the best way to level is?

    Someone said Skirms are the best most efficient way to level, but I feel that you'd miss out on deeds for TP and Virtues. Also as a VIP player with up to the MoM expansion, if I hit 95 I assume I'd have to purchase the HD expansion to work on getting level 95 gear? Is it worth trying to get RoR or Isenguard? I know that U14 is coming soon which will raise the level cap to 100 so just wondering what the best plan of action is.
    Why do you want to level?

    LOTOR is unlike other MMOs - it has no end-game.
    LOTRO is all about the journey, the story line, both the Epic quest line (following the Fellowship's actions) and the peripheral characters activities -- what has been happening in the world of Middle Earth as the minions of Evil spread across it.

    As far as skipping Virtues -- You cannot compensate for missing Virtues with fancy gear; anyone with "their virtues intact" (sorry about that) will have higher stats than someone without them. And yes, you can buy your virtues in the store if you want to Pay to Play, but that is not the LOTRO way.

    Without the Helm's Deep expansion, you have no access to level 95 gear as that is the area where all of the vendors and drops exist.
    At the moment, exactly how, if at all, you would be able to access the level 100 area (Western Rohan, Update 14) I don't know, as the access point requires being able to "move through" the Helm's Deep expansion area. .... and to access the Helm's Deep Expansion area, one needs to be able to move through East Rohan (Riders of Rohan).

    Up to Helm's Deep, (I think) all that was easy enough to do for a VIP -- however, with HD, there was a change -- you had to have the Expansion to access the area because it all keyed on the Epic Quest line, which required HD.

    I'm a Lifetime (VIP) member who also bought the expansions, so I have always had access to all of the content in those areas. Where content refers to all of the vendors, reputation barterers and the like. I don't know specifically what is blocked because one does not have the expansion -- other than all of the quests.

    Remember, LOTRO has no PvP! It has PvMP (player vs Monster Player) in the Ettenmoors. But that is not PvP as in other games.

    The actual "end-game" is not likely until 2016, but it is hard to predict. We'll have to wait for the next Producer's Letter to see what happens with Update 15 in the fall of 2014.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)


    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  4. #4
    Just to clarify, there is an endgame but it is not as robust as other games.

    1. Classic scaled instances
    There is about a dozen scaled raids and over two dozen scaled 3 and 6 mans.

    2. PvMP
    This is LOTRO PvP. The freep faction is made up of peoples regular characters, the creep faction is of monsters that people create specifically for that area.

    3. Epic Battles
    This is defending an area against a much larger force, with side quests and special roles like engineer and commander.

    However, all of these systems are not as optimized as they can be. But they are still fun.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

  5. #5
    Lotro currently is a story driven questing game. If you push to max level, you will get there soon enough. But you'll probably soon start wondering what you should do now. There are some instances, PVP, there's gear to farm, but in general Lotro doesn't shine in that area. So take your time, do quests, try to find groups to Angmar and Moria instances at lvl 50 and 60 (if you enjoy instances).

    Re skirmishes. Skirmishing is faster than questing until around 30 or 35. If you enjoy it, do it. On my first character, I went into skirmishes at 20 and left at way past 30. It was fun. But eventually it gets boring.

    Re virtues. They are nice, but don't worry about them too much. Do quests, and if you get close to finishing some deed, do it. Turbine points and virtues won't hurt. But the game is easy, you will be fine with low virtues too. Don't grind too much, you'll get bored with the game.

    Re HD expansion. You can get max level gear without it. Some top jewelry is only available if you have HD. But that's not a bit deal at all. Most people don't even bother trying to get it, because it's a massive grind.

    But if you don't have HD, you won't have quests after 85 till 95 (even epic is not free). You will also miss some trait points. But then again, the game is so easy that you would be fine even without those trait points. ANd lots of people don't have HD and leveled 85-95 in instances within a day.
    So I don't know what to advise you there. In my view, both Mirkwood and Isengard are better expansions than HD, and you can buy them both combined for less than HD price. I'd say wait until you get there, and then decide. Maybe HD price will drop by the time you get there. Or maybe you'll be bored by then and want to quit the game. No point to rush.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Without the Helm's Deep expansion, you have no access to level 95 gear as that is the area where all of the vendors and drops exist.
    At the moment, exactly how, if at all, you would be able to access the level 100 area (Western Rohan, Update 14) I don't know, as the access point requires being able to "move through" the Helm's Deep expansion area. .... and to access the Helm's Deep Expansion area, one needs to be able to move through East Rohan (Riders of Rohan).

    Up to Helm's Deep, (I think) all that was easy enough to do for a VIP -- however, with HD, there was a change -- you had to have the Expansion to access the area because it all keyed on the Epic Quest line, which required HD.
    You can access these areas without buying them. You can travel around, you can talk to vendors, use stables, etc. You just can't do quests or instances (big battles).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Without the Helm's Deep expansion, you have no access to level 95 gear as that is the area where all of the vendors and drops exist.
    Ehm, HD is one of many options to obtain level 95 gear. Scaled instances, crafting, skirm camp vendors or moors vendors (I think, haven't checked them for a while) can provide you just as well.

    But as others have said, if you want to rush to 95 just for participating in endgame content you'll most likely be rather dissappointed as this game is no longer what it used to be in that aspect.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

  8. #8
    We aren't rushing, I just wanted to make sure quest leveling wasn't out dated. I enjoy efficiency, I wouldn't mind a character to 95 quickly for Moors though I do have a Rank 4 Spider on Brandywine and enjoy that I would like to be able to play both sides thought, but it will come with time.

    Thanks folks!

  9. #9

    Levelling up is not the problem

    As they now give away excessive XP for completing festival quests, crafting, reputation tasks, treasure hunting, welcome back weekends (+25% XP), levelling up quickly isn't the problem. What is is staying at a level long enough to carry out the tasks in an area without out levelling. In one treasure hunting weekend I went from lvl26 to 27 doing nothing but digging holes! Even with the stone of the tortoise (store bought XP disabler) & only accepting XP for fellowship or higher level quests, I could level up at the rate of about 1 level every 6 hours of play!

    I feel that with recent alterations to the game mechanics the game has become easier at lower levels, up until about level 36. So gaining XP from kills is a lot quicker than it used to be!

    Reputation is also easier to gain as you can no longer out level an area. I could, if I wanted to, drop back to Gondammon, kill hundreds of hendrevail & become Kindred to Thorin's hall. I reckon my LvL 40 could take out about 90 in an hour which would =27000 reputation points & God knows how many XP
    No King, No Law, Utopia!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxburgh View Post
    As they now give away excessive XP for completing festival quests, crafting, reputation tasks, treasure hunting, welcome back weekends (+25% XP), levelling up quickly isn't the problem. What is is staying at a level long enough to carry out the tasks in an area without out levelling. In one treasure hunting weekend I went from lvl26 to 27 doing nothing but digging holes! Even with the stone of the tortoise (store bought XP disabler) & only accepting XP for fellowship or higher level quests, I could level up at the rate of about 1 level every 6 hours of play!

    I feel that with recent alterations to the game mechanics the game has become easier at lower levels, up until about level 36. So gaining XP from kills is a lot quicker than it used to be!

    Reputation is also easier to gain as you can no longer out level an area. I could, if I wanted to, drop back to Gondammon, kill hundreds of hendrevail & become Kindred to Thorin's hall. I reckon my LvL 40 could take out about 90 in an hour which would =27000 reputation points & God knows how many XP
    You do not get xp from killing grey mobs
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    You do not get xp from killing grey mobs
    No but you do get wings, beaks, feathers, claws etc which can be turned in for reputation!
    No King, No Law, Utopia!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload