We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brand new to this game and also brand new to the MMORPG genre... difficulties... :)

I'm brand new in this game, but i'm also brand new to the MMORPG genre... so it's kinda difficult for me to understand everything... ???

I really love the game, the gameplay and the story but...

I'm just walking around, doing quests, fighting, following the storyline, but without really knowing how to strenghten my powers or what all the items i find mean...

Also, i have i think about 20 questions where i don't seem to find an answer for, just because i'm soo new to this genre and know nothing of what some words mean...
    If i fire my questions... i think people would think... whow man those questions are for a baby...

For example: "This item may be turned in for tasks".

What does this mean? It's on a lot of items and don't know what to do with it, so i'm planning to sell them for coins, or should i keep them for later?

I have a free-to-play account, but i love this game so if i get further and know what's the true essence of this MMORPG genre, then i would pay for it too.

Can someone maybe offer me a little help to this newbie?

Ow yes and i started as a human-guardian race in Bree (Archet)...

Quote Originally Posted by Berthen View Post
    For example: "This item may be turned in for tasks".

What does this mean? It's on a lot of items and don't know what to do with it, so i'm planning to sell them for coins, or should i keep them for later?
    In different regions you have "Tasks Bulletin Boards", tasks are free repeatable quests that players can use to augment their leveling within the game world (some task quests give you reputation with a faction too).

You can find all the info about task boards, including a list of boards and task ítems in: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tasks_Bulletin_Board

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Don't worry about asking questions - all of us were new at some point. While some words and concepts are common between different MMORPGs there are others that are specific to each game.

As for your specific question abouts task items: Tasks are a special type of repeatable quests where you can turn in a certain number of specific items in exchange for some XP and (usually) some reputation with some faction. For much more detail on tasks see http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Tasks_Bulletin_Board
    (www.lotro-wiki.com contains a lot of useful information about the game. Do check it out.)

This early in the game you should not worry about keeping those items that say they can be turned in for tasks. Sell them instead - at the moment you will likely need all the money you can get.
    Later on this will change, but no need to worry about that right now.

Just to chip in with a bit extra:

If you started a Man character in Archet, then you're probably questing in Bree-land right now. So the most accessible Task board is probably the one at the boar fountain in Bree. This is on the east side of town, near the north-east gate which leads to Combe.

I would personally advise handing in as many tasks as you can each day you play - the starting limit is 5 per day. Once you ma out for the day, you can then either sell those items, or keep them for use towards future days task completion requirements (though they will clog up your bag space in the meantime!)

Task boards appear on the map as a feather quill.

Feel free to ask your questions. We're here to answer them
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

Don't worry about making mistake in a game. What's great about a game is you can always start it again. I've played a few MMORPGs and usually the 1'st character is only a test one. Maybe it's just the way my brain work but when I started, I found most of the guides only lead to more confusion. They are all full of "term" that I dont understand, like you are with the "task" term. Work out myself untill I have a "platform" to understand what the guide said is the best way for me.

Get use to the map and the markers (how's the quest track look like, where and what's the NPC vendors, the vault/bank, the aution house... icons - there is a quest about level 13 to introduce you to these place in Bree), the interface, the key mapping, the crafting system... And the most importance: join the global chat channel, usually GLFF in US servers and GlobalLFF in EU servers, by typing: /joinchannel GLFF or /joinchannel GlobalLFF. With the new update they'll add a new global channel that all new players auto join in but for now, GLFF is the best place to ask for help. Of course since you are new to MMORPG, I should warn you that the trolls sometime take over this channel.

And if you are not on Brandywine, I recommend you start a character there. Other servers are quite... dead.

To all: thanks for your help allready... i'm a very little wiser now...

New questions:

-In the battles: i just click random attacks and skills and i see my character perform these skills and attacks, but is there any logic in what skill or what attack
    to use on which enemy at the moment? Or am i too early in the game?

-What is the 'Trait Tree Panel' all about?
    I chose 'The Keen Blade' and 'Thrill Of Battle'... but what is it? And is it a good choice? I chose randomly...

I'm playing in the Gladden world.

Maybe shame on me i don't know... but i'm really brand new to this all... so...

Yeah, don't worry about making mistakes, we were all new once and everything takes time to figure out. My first character was a Champion way back when, hated it and switched to Guardian. I had no idea what I was even doing until level 25 when I was taken in hand by a very helpful kin and had a lot of things explained to me, so I hope you can find people like that too. Good luck and enjoy this wonderful game.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

-In the battles: i just click random attacks and skills and i see my character perform these skills and attacks, but is there any logic in what skill or what attack
    Guardians have two lines of reactionary skills; Shield attacks that open up when you block an incoming attack and Weapon attacks that open up when you parry an incoming attack.

Depending on how you sou spend your class points, will determine whether you get more Shield attacks or Weapon attacks.
    I chose 'The Keen Blade' and 'Thrill Of Battle'... but what is it? And is it a good choice? I chose randomly...
    Each specialization lends itself to a class role. Blue Guardians are more tankish, Red Guardians are more DPS and Yellow Guardians are more AoE/debuff.

Class points spend in your chosen specialization cost 1 point each. The other two will cost you 2 class points.

And, if you're not liking your chosen specialization, you can hit the Respec button on the bottom of the window. Since you're still new and haven't likely invested many points, it might still be free. But, there will be a nominal fee as the amount of points you invest increases.

You should have a look at this MMORPG terms glossary:

http://mmoterms.com/full-mmorpg-terms-glossary

Not all of these terms are used in LotRO but if other players are using certain terms/abbreviations this list may help you.

A lot of classes have skills that lead into one another. Read the descriptions of your skills very carefully. As you level your character, you may notice that some of your skills have special affects. For instance, you might have a skill that does more damage of the target is under a bleed affect. You might also have a skill that causes a bleed affect. If so, be sure to use these to your full advantage. In this case, you would do a lot more damage if you put the bleed on your target and then hit it than you would if you had just hit it.

I'm probably not explaining this very well, just be sure to read the skill descriptions carefully so you can use them properly. Don't underestimate stuns and debuffs because those can save your life when you're in a sticky situation.

Welcome! It wasn't that long ago that I was completely new to the MMORPG genre too, so I completely empathize!

You've already gotten some useful responses -- don't hesitate to ask more questions. However! first I also recommend you take a peek at the link suggested here:
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuySmaug View Post
    You should have a look at this MMORPG terms glossary:

http://mmoterms.com/full-mmorpg-terms-glossary

Not all of these terms are used in LotRO but if other players are using certain terms/abbreviations this list may help you.
    Because this will assist you in understanding what some of these terms are that people are using when they respond to you

For example:
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Each specialization lends itself to a class role. Blue Guardians are more tankish, Red Guardians are more DPS and Yellow Guardians are more AoE/debuff.
    Especially in fellowship/grouping situations, some classes are stronger at certain things (e.g., healing) than others. BUT even within a class, you can allocate points into your trait trees (red/yellow/blue) that will help your own character specialize in certain types of gameplay:

So:
    "Tank" -- Basically, a character who is able to withstand a lot of enemy attacks, and even draw the attention of multiple enemies at once, which can help take some of the heat off of other members of the group. Guardians traditionally have been great at this.

"DPS" or 'damage per second' -- How quickly your character can do lots of damage to enemies.

"AOE" -- Area of Effect. If you look at your attack skills, it will tell you how many enemies/targets it will potentially damage. Many attacks are 'single-target', but others can hit multiple enemies, sometimes even as much as in a 360-degree circle around you, more often in the 180-degrees right in front of you. These are AOE skills.

"buff/debuff" -- Effects that either boost you or your enemies (e.g., give you additional morale, or increase a resistance) or effects that harm you (debuff) you or your enemies in some way (e.g., lower your armor value, making you more vulnerable). As you or enemies acquire buffs/debuffs, they will show up as little colored icons underneath your (their) health bar, and you can hover your mouse over them to see what is going on (sometimes you have to be quick if they have a short duration). This is a great way to learn more about game mechanics.

Enjoy learning the game!

I was going to answer your questions, but I would just reiterate exactly what Dantell said.

However, I still want to give my number one piece of advice to any new player. Join a fun and active kinship/guild. Kinships would show you the ropes, and teach you all of the fun mechanics in the game like instances and PvMP.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Ow yes and i started as a human-guardian race in Bree (Archet)...
    Here is a guide specific to guardian class that may help you: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...mmary-Guardian
    ... & this 1 is a guide that explain what are traits on how they work: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Traits
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? : http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38sxzbsq.png
    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Thanks all. I'm getting a very little wiser step-by-step...

How do i find a kinship/guild?

When i'm attacking a creature and use skills, sometimes a small red cross appears on top right of the skill i use, what does that mean?
    Is it a more powerfull skill attack or something else?

My god... i wonder in what year i will know what this all means in the game...? Maybe in 2 years if i play it every day?

Why is it all so extended and complicated these MMORPG genres??... or maybe it's just me that is new to this kind of stuff...

When i'm attacking a creature and use skills, sometimes a small red cross appears on top right of the skill i use, what does that mean?
    Is it a more powerfull skill attack or something else?
    A lot of skills have a range (usually measured in meters), if you select a target the red symbol appear in the skills out of range for this target.

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

My god... i wonder in what year i will know what this all means in the game...? Maybe in 2 years if i play it every day?

Why is it all so extended and complicated these MMORPG genres??... or maybe it's just me that is new to this kind of stuff...
    It is not really all that complicated - it is just a lot of new terminology.
    Don't worry about it. After a while you too will throw around terms like 'dps', 'aoe', 'buff', etc. without a second thought. :-)

There are a few guides here in the class forums for particular skill rotations, best traits to use etc.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...hp?8-Guardians

But basically, choose quest rewards with might on. Use a skill that buffs you eg +block or whatever or that does the most damage first. Have a play around and see what works best for you in various situations eg. against a single attacker or several or even an elite etc.

I've never played a guard so I haven't a clue! but when I was starting out with my hunter I digested everything I could read about the class and wider game (it was a little too much really) and it definitely helped.

Good luck & farewell.

ps. find a good kin, or get friends to play and make one.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

New questions:

Depending on your current level and the fact you are starting out. If you wanted to get some help running through content and also information on questions you may have please feel free to restart a new player (toon) on my server meneldor and I will happily help you through.

Im not sure what the population on gladden is like but I will happily help a new player out.

New questions:

Welcome to Middle-Earth!!

I, too, was a complete newbie to MMORPG gaming when I started last year. One year later I've got two characters at level 70 and 84 and starting to mull what my third is going to be. You'll get the hang of it, but it's a big learning curve with your first character.

I'd suggest bookmarking Lotro-Wiki.com. It's a great resource. Just keep in mind that the trait tree information is still being brought up-to-date for some classes since the change in the class trait system last November. Also, I learned the hard way, and by the grace of some kind folks on my own server who took me under their wing, that stats on gear drops and crafted gear are important. So bookmark this page as well for reference: Character Stats. Since guardians are tanks, Might is really important for you. Also, if you mouse over each stat in your Character panel in-game, you'll see a tool-tip that gives you information about each stat for your particular class.

Just don't neglect other stats like mitigations, morale, power, fate, will, etc. in favor of Might alone. Don't worry about appearance. That's what cosmetic slots are for. If a piece has the perfect stats but looks like something Jon Arbuckle from Garfield would wear, slot it anyway, then go to the AH and look for something to wear over it cosmetically. Or, save pieces that look good but have terrible stats and use them cosmetically. Once you've done the skirmish tutorials and start building up marks, you can also find some cosmetic clothing at skirmish camp vendors. Festivals are also sources of cosmetics in-game. If you want to spend money in the form of TP or Mithril coins, then check the Lotro Store (TP) and Lalia's Market or the cosmetics vendors in different hubs (Mithril coins).

Also--Tooltips are your friend, especially for skills. Read them as often as you need to (especially OUT of combat!), so that you start learning which skills work together in chains, or rotations. Some open grayed out skills, others give nice buffs to subsequent skills, others help build fervor (in classes that rely on fervor), and some SAVE YOUR LIFE. This is really important once you start encountering quests that drop you into session play and you end up with a set of skills you've never seen before.

About the stats you want on your Guardian gear, here are some tips:

• Block don't increase dammage but defences & that is only needed when tanking & only effective when equiping a shield.
    • There is no justified reason to use a shield when fighting landscape monster of your same level 1 by 1. Guardians are enough resilient as it is.
    • Instead wear a 2-hand weapon with Might, Agility, Fate & Critical Ratting to increase dammage, that is what a OP guard should wear.
    • Don't stack Physical Mastery, is overrated, is easy to get more than you need.
    • All classes need a slice of Moral & Vitality of course.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? : http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38sxzbsq.png
    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

You find a kinship either in game or outside of the game. I would like to help you find one but I am on Withywindle. You are welcome to roll a toon there if you want.

Basically, I would look around in game for a little at the kins other people are in. Kins where the people in them are nice or you see often. Send a tell to someone in it asking if you can join. They will probably get you in.
    You also might get someone sending you a tell with a recruitment message asking you to join.

Remember that you can always leave a kin if you dont think it fits you.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Welcome.

Something I didn't see mentioned ... you can start a new character on another server if you find the one you are on has a low population. If you feel you want more people around just make a new character over on Brandywine. Even free-to-play you are allowed two characters per SERVER, not overall.

Also, as a free-to-play, you might want to learn something about Turbine Points farming. By accomplishing Deeds and completing quests, you earn Turbine Points that will allow you to 'buy' anything in the store, including quest packs and expansions. In Bree, you earn 5 TP for killing 30 spiders, then 10 TP more for killing another 60. And there are more than a dozen 'kill' deeds just in Bree. There are also 'exploration deeds' that give you more points for just finding places.
    "Lead me, follow me, but get out of my way!"

Yep, they are a bit complicated until you get used to it. But to be fair, Lotro is quite complicated even for an MMO. Lotro throws so many things at people from the very start. A ton of skills, deeds, virtues, traits, legendary traits, Erebor and other instances, multiple professions, PvMP, big battles system, skirmish system, skirmish soldier traits, fishing, housing and decorations, cosmetic outfits, reputation, epic quests, normal quests, tasks, a ton of chat channels... All of that and more in the first 20 levels. And then just wait for lvl 50 and legendary items system, now that's a pain.

They've simplified early levels a little in the previous expansion, they reduced the number of skills, but still it's too much info for a new player. I remember feeling similarly when I started Lotro, and I'm experienced with MMORPGs. I remember thinking "why the heck is there so much of everything so early, I just want to explore the world, get into the story and chat with people."

So don't feel bad. You are not the only one!

Well I could invite you into the kinship where I play, I'm on Gladden too, but I won't log in tonight and I'm not sure if I'll log in tomorrow. There are two good ways:

1. type {/joinchannel glff} without {}. You will join world channel. Then you can type /1 and ask for an active kinship. Most likely someone will reply to you and offer a kinship.
    2. simply go to a popular lower level zone (like Bree-land or Shire), type /regional or /advice and ask for an active kinship.

When in kinship, you will be able to chat with everyone by typing /k. You will also be able to check kinship members list. If you see that your kinship isn't active (like, under 10 people online), you can try to leave and find another one. There are lots of active kinships on Gladden right now. So no need to stick around, if the kinship is very empty or not friendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast