We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brandywine or Laurelin?

I'm not a "new player" but I'm looking to return and re roll on one of those servers. How is the population for Laurelin comapred to brandywine?

iirc, Brandywine has the higher population, but Laurelin is good if you want to play on a RP server.

Everyone is server transferring to Brandywine. It is just about the only server left worth playing on.

Brandywine is much more populated, although they become comparable when most Americans are sleeping.

So if you like role playing and you play exclusively during Euro afternoon / early evening, then Laurelin is a good alternative. But overall Brandywine is by far the biggest English speaking server.

As far as I know, Laurelin is more Europe-based so during EU times it has the same pop as Brandywine. But US times Brandy has way more.

Quote Originally Posted by Geldeger View Post
    Brandywine is much more populated, although they become comparable when most Americans are sleeping.

So if you like role playing and you play exclusively during Euro afternoon / early evening, then Laurelin is a good alternative. But overall Brandywine is by far the biggest English speaking server.
    I should've said "not counting recommended servers," which is Gladden at the moment. Gladden has more people than Brandywine right now, not to mention that it's well populated around the clock while Brandywine and other servers have very distinct night times. But it's a transient low level population. Low level areas look lively, but most of those players won't stay for long.

I played Laurelin all day yesterday and the place was deserted--well, there were only two or three (at most) other players in the list at any given time I looked. I tried Landroval today and same story. What exactly is this community's definition of a "busy server?"

I'm brand spanking new, so maybe I just didn't know how to bring up the right player list or something. (Is there something other than the list under the Social menu?) Regardless, it kept me from purchasing the VIP membership. (I mean, why spend $100 for special access to empty servers?)

Based on the above, I guess my last shot is Brandywine, but I don't think I can tolerate running through that tutorial quest a third time. But assuming I can make myself do it again, is it just a hack-and-slash raid server? (I'm really more interested in RP'ing which is why I am sad that Laurelin and Landroval seem to have no active player base.)

Quote Originally Posted by TalianKross View Post
    I'm brand spanking new, so maybe I just didn't know how to bring up the right player list or something. (Is there something other than the list under the Social menu?) Regardless, it kept me from purchasing the VIP membership.
    I'd ask where you're regions you're playing in, but since you're "brand spanking new", that pretty much answers that question. But, I'd have to ask what exactly were you expecting to find?

LotRO is built around one-and-done quests. As in, you go to a quest hub, accept the quests, complete them and move on to the next quest hub and level up as you go. There's little to no reason for someone to be hanging around a newbie region after they've completed the quests there and/or out leveled the content. So, to not run into many (if any) other players while in the wilds is not uncommon. If you want to see people, you're far more likely to find some coming and going in larger town hubs, like Bree-town.

Now, I'm not sure if they break down the recent server populations in terms of level range, but if they did, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority didn't consist of players at the level cap. Which is further reason you wouldn't see people running around the newbie areas.

Though unstated in my original reply, I did draw the conclusion that the list only consisted of players in my particular area, and both of whom were the same low level as me. That's why I asked the question regarding the player list. How can I see how many players are on the whole server and where they are? And for what I am expecting, I don't know, but certainly more than two people, that's for sure.

Open your social panel, and where it says the subsection of your region, in the upper right, delete it and hit enter. That should show you all the players currently on the server.

There's also the option to join the global chat channel. Usually either GLFF or GlobalLFF, depending on the server.
    ie. "/joinchannel GLFF" or "joinchannel GlobalLFF", then "/1 " to talk.

Though, with U14 coming "soon", it will introduce a World chat channel.

I am from asia but i manage to get up on my bed at the middle of the night and play on EU time where laurelin is most active of players,

for RP i suggest laurelin server where all player does roleplay all of the time, it is a Quality rp server over Quantity since it has only an average population and active players playing on EU base timezone.
    But if you want Quantity over Quality of people RPing, brandywine, gladden and landroval servers are the ones you seek, with a huge population still with roleplaying and mostly with american players playing on US base timezone.

I played Laurelin all day yesterday and the place was deserted--well, there were only two or three (at most) other players in the list at any given time I looked. I tried Landroval today and same story. What exactly is this community's definition of a "busy server?"

I'm brand spanking new, so maybe I just didn't know how to bring up the right player list or something. (Is there something other than the list under the Social menu?) Regardless, it kept me from purchasing the VIP membership. (I mean, why spend $100 for special access to empty servers?)

Based on the above, I guess my last shot is Brandywine, but I don't think I can tolerate running through that tutorial quest a third time. But assuming I can make myself do it again, is it just a hack-and-slash raid server? (I'm really more interested in RP'ing which is why I am sad that Laurelin and Landroval seem to have no active player base.)
    Whenever I see posts like this, I always find myself with more questions than answers. I'll try to group my answers based on two things:
    1) Perception of the in game world:

The fellow tab list in Social, {O} is garbage as a metric. Even a direct location search is rarely right, forget the auto filter. From your latest post, I'm thinking you might never have left pre.

Next, is how far along the story line you played. In this game, there is a tutorial and an intro (both are part of "pre"), and the rest of the game ("post"). (Which you can answer below are partly race choice dependent.)

-Did you watch a Ranger get stabbed or a Dwarf get crushed by a building? (tutorials)
    -Did an entire town burn or did you wonder what the two elf brothers were up to all that time you were helping to save the day? (intro)
    -Most importantly: Did you get your milestone skill and a letter in the mail? (post, no pun intended)

If the answer to the last question was "yes", skip down two paragraphs.
    Pre is something you can do in less than a half an hour if you know what's going on and don't need to stop and read every tutorial/tip or sit through cut scenes. Pre also forces new "layers" (you may have seen the icon pop up on your UI) after X people are there. And that threshold is low. Otherwise, even if only 6 players happen to start a new character at the same time, someone would have to camp the barghests in Ered Luin because there's just not that many to kill in pre. You can also skip pre if you spend money (or have earned enough lemons {Turbine Points} in game) by purchashing the "Veteran" something or other, which a lot of folks do because they just don't want to do pre for the 10th or 57th time.

As such, when you say you only saw two or three players, I don't think you left pre. If you did, what race you are matters greatly, as well as what actual time of day you were playing in relation to the average playing time for the server you were on at the time.

As has been mentioned, Laurelin is Euro time. Landy is North America, and the US happened to have a holiday weekend that involved possible travel and a small hurricane making a bit of a mess for some folks in a few East Coast states.

If you made it out of pre, what your time zone is and what means "all day" matters as to how to answer why you felt it was a ghost town.

Four straight hours starting at six am servertime on a Sunday is very different than four hours off and on in between laundry, taking the dog for a walk, and maybe eating at the computer starting at noon servertime. Eight hours with only bathroom and meal breaks if it's daytime for the average player on that server is also very different than you signed up for your account at 6am and finally logged off at dinnertime but you're in Australia and you were playing on Landy.

2) Concerning the focus of RP:

If it is really your focus, read up on the Brandy subforum before rolling an alt there since they're more known for running out of housing than for RP.

There are many threads on the Landy and Laurelin server subforums asking folks about RP on each, ans well as threads asking folks to compare the differences between the two.

You'll also see postings for events. Events can be a good time to try to get the lay of the crowd, in a very specified time and place, especially with events that have been around a while. You'll also find (as with any RP community) there are niches and cliques and lone wolves and crossovers, each with their own vibe beyond the overall community.

If you read most RP posts where someone asks, "Where can I find RP?", some person or another probably said "Go to the Pony" (in Bree-Town). Yes, it is the most guaranteed place to find RP no matter what hour of the day or what day of the week. However, it isn't the only place RP is going on at any given time. Depending on the server, sometimes there are entire parts of the RP community as a whole that go out of their way to RP anywhere BUT the Pony. This is partly because it's where everyone tells everyone who asks where to go to find RP, and that also means it can run the gamut. Light saber weilding RP; RP that seems right along the lines of lore and you can step into easily; RP that would be better off in GTA: Bree Town Edition; RP where you feel like an eavesdropper; RP that you're not even certain is RP; et al.

I'm sure in time you'll find the place you hang your hat (or your mug, axes, etc.) But for now, based on how little I know about your end of the experience, this is what I can offer.
    Last edited by Gaming_Gal; Jul 07 2014 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Open your social panel, and where it says the subsection of your region, in the upper right, delete it and hit enter. That should show you all the players currently on the server.

There's also the option to join the global chat channel. Usually either GLFF or GlobalLFF, depending on the server.
    ie. "/joinchannel GLFF" or "joinchannel GlobalLFF", then "/1 " to talk.

Though, with U14 coming "soon", it will introduce a World chat channel.
    To add to this post for TalianKross:

1. If I remember corrently, you have to remove levels as well, the panel is set to search for people of around your level in your region. So, get rid of both the region and levels.

2. You are almost certainly going to see 100 names on the list once you remove region and levels. The panel can't show more than 100 names. So if you want to find out the total number, you will have to get a bit creative. Like, ask them to show all lvl 1-20 people in all regions, then all lvl 21-40, 41-60, etc, and then add those numbers up yourself.

3. The list won't show people who are anonymous. Everyone can become anonymous by simply typing /anon on. It's especially popular among PVPers. There may be 5% of anonymous people or there may be 20%, your guess is as good as mine.

There are a few servers with 500-1000 people online at peak time. There are lots of tiny servers as well. In general, yep, Lotro isn't a big game population wise. It's also an old game, which means that there are tons of high levels and not so many low levels. It will be even more so in a few days once Gondor gets released. Servers will get more populated but they'll be populated with high levels exploring Gondor, and low level areas will get even emptier for a few weeks.

Now, if you want to meet a lot of new players in low level zones, you could try Gladden. I'm leveling a new character there myself right now for that exact reason. Just more fun to play in a game world where you run into people. I even took the less popular leveling route (Trollshaws, Misty Mountains), and still I run into other people a lot. Kinships are full of low levels, there are fellowships to be found for group quests.

But a warning re Gladden -- all recommended servers (like Gladden) get much smaller eventually. It's because most of their population are new players, many of whom don't stick around for more than a few months. So maybe in a few months, maybe half a year, maybe in a year, who knows, but Turbine will select a new recommended server, and Gladden will start to get smaller.

Still, it's worth trying Gladden IMO. If you want people around you, why not enjoy the game as much as you can? It might not last forever, but it's better than playing on a server you don't like.

Another option of course is Brandywine. It's Lotro's oldest server, the biggest server, the server with the most instance and PVP action (at high level). It's the server where most people eventually end up when they get tired of their small servers. In terms of overall size, it's comparable to Gladden. In terms of stability, it's definitely a much better bet to still be big a year from now. But in terms of low level population, Gladden is far ahead right now.

Thank you all for your in depth guides for a new player such as myself. With that in mind, I must apologize to Alferath for seemingly hijacking his thread. That wasn't my intent.

I thought I clicked on everything "clickable" in the Social menu's player list dialog, but apparently not since I saw no applied filter nor a way to change it. (I'll now use HaleElven's instructions to scrutinize the interface better next time.) Rest assured that I do realize that everyone at this stage of the game has already level capped their characters and would be out doing more challenging quests and whatnot in other areas, but what I was trying to evaluate this weekend was what, if anything, I have to look forward to.

Unfortunately, though, when one logs into a server and there is absolutely no one around to converse with (IC or OOC), it is a bit off-putting. I used to be somewhat active years ago on a D&D RP server (World of Caenyr), and there were always people around of all levels. One of my favorite pastimes was RP'ing my high level Paladin to serve as a mentor and guide for the new arrivals. Based on other threads that I've read now, that play style does not seem favored or encouraged in the Tolkien universe. ("Sorry, buddy, you're own your own until you make it to level 60. You're just too much of a hindrance." )

Oh, and to answer Gaming_Gal's question, for my first character (on Laurelin, what I now know to be the European server), I did get my deed and letter in the mail, but my main quest still has "Intro" prefixed to it, so I guess I'm still in the "Pre" stage. Also, when I stated "all day," I literally meant from around 12 p.m (CDT) to 12 a.m. (CDT) which would be 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. GMT--certainly some European players would be playing within that time window, I would think, but thanks to my filter settings (I now presume), I saw no one.

Anyway, thank you all so much for all the valuable and encouraging feedback. I'll keep feeling my around the server(s) and won't give up just yet now.

Rest assured that I do realize that everyone at this stage of the game has already level capped their characters and would be out doing more challenging quests and whatnot in other areas
    That is not my experience at all on Laurelin. Of course there's a lot of old players around, but there are plenty of new players coming in all the time - and many old players are altaholics, so they make new ones all the time too. Personally I've played for a year and haven't even made it to Moria yet. In fact there's a group of us (old and new players) making a point out of taking our time in the low-level areas and having fun in stead of rushing through. It's called Club Slowtro, and you're very welcome: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ub-on-Laurelin

Apart from that the best trick I've learned so far to get groups is to use the Social panel finder and ask for a specific level bracket (15-20 for example) and then sending tells to people: "Hey do you want to go to the Barrows?" - people are very kind, and often flattered to be asked, and it's entirely possible to get a good PUG if you're a bit patient and play nice

Unfortunately, though, when one logs into a server and there is absolutely no one around to converse with (IC or OOC), it is a bit off-putting. I used to be somewhat active years ago on a D&D RP server (World of Caenyr), and there were always people around of all levels. One of my favorite pastimes was RP'ing my high level Paladin to serve as a mentor and guide for the new arrivals. Based on other threads that I've read now, that play style does not seem favored or encouraged in the Tolkien universe. ("Sorry, buddy, you're own your own until you make it to level 60. You're just too much of a hindrance." )
    New arrivals in LOTRO are in 4 different areas, one per race: Race of Man in Archet/Combe, Elves in Celondim, Hobbits in Little Delving/Michel Delving and Dwarves in Thorins Hall. Then you need monitoring 4 different places for new arrivals (characters fresh from the Intro). In my own experience LOTRO is not "Sorry, buddy, you're own your own until you make it to level 60. You're just too much of a hindrance." I had several people helping me when played my first character in a totally new MMORPG for me.

With U14 a new server-wide channel is coming, the channel "World" and any character join this channel automatically at login. Then, in 1 week, this channel will be a good tool for to talk with all the people on the server (right now you need to join to GLFF channel, then no all the people online is on in this channel (the only one "global").

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

So I found the area filter and cleared it. (So none will think me daft, I saw it before, but I didn't realize it was an edit box.) It took a few minutes for some reason (server lag or latency?), but eventually the player list filled to the 100 max entry limit. That's encouraging.

Interestingly, on Landroval where I have been playing today, when I entered the /joinchannel globallff command, it said there was only one member in the channel (I guess now me.. ha!). And then for the next 2-3 hours, I didn't see a single chat from anyone. (Being alone in the channel, that's not too surprising. )

Anyway, kept killing wolves and spiders (a mind-numbingly boring endeavor) until I made it to Level 10 which seemed to open up the Instance stuff you all were talking about above. I guess I'll go ahead and buy a least a month's worth of VIP access to help me explore this even further.

Again, my apologies to Alferath for unintentionally hijacking his thread. If I have anymore questions, I'll properly start a thread of my own.

Thank you all for your in depth guides for a new player such as myself. With that in mind, I must apologize to Alferath for seemingly hijacking his thread. That wasn't my intent.

I thought I clicked on everything "clickable" in the Social menu's player list dialog, but apparently not since I saw no applied filter nor a way to change it. (I'll now use HaleElven's instructions to scrutinize the interface better next time.) Rest assured that I do realize that everyone at this stage of the game has already level capped their characters and would be out doing more challenging quests and whatnot in other areas, but what I was trying to evaluate this weekend was what, if anything, I have to look forward to.

Oh, and to answer Gaming_Gal's question, for my first character (on Laurelin, what I now know to be the European server), I did get my deed and letter in the mail, but my main quest still has "Intro" prefixed to it, so I guess I'm still in the "Pre" stage. Also, when I stated "all day," I literally meant from around 12 p.m (CDT) to 12 a.m. (CDT) which would be 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. GMT--certainly some European players would be playing within that time window, I would think, but thanks to my filter settings (I now presume), I saw no one.

Anyway, thank you all so much for all the valuable and encouraging feedback. I'll keep feeling my around the server(s) and won't give up just yet now.
    Type {/joinchannel globallff} without {}. It's the main world channel (for now, in a week there will be a new one that everyone auto-joins).
    Also, an active kinship would make you feel less lonely.

I don't know much about RP, as I don't do it.

So I found the area filter and cleared it. (So none will think me daft, I saw it before, but I didn't realize it was an edit box.) It took a few minutes for some reason (server lag or latency?), but eventually the player list filled to the 100 max entry limit. That's encouraging.

Interestingly, on Landroval where I have been playing today, when I entered the /joinchannel globallff command, it said there was only one member in the channel (I guess now me.. ha!). And then for the next 2-3 hours, I didn't see a single chat from anyone. (Being alone in the channel, that's not too surprising. )

Anyway, kept killing wolves and spiders (a mind-numbingly boring endeavor) until I made it to Level 10 which seemed to open up the Instance stuff you all were talking about above. I guess I'll go ahead and buy a least a month's worth of VIP access to help me explore this even further.

Again, my apologies to Alferath for unintentionally hijacking his thread. If I have anymore questions, I'll properly start a thread of my own.

For RP, go to Bree and check out the Pony if you just want to see RP. Quality varies from night to night (yes, from night to night, fellow RPers who think the Pony is nothing but a hive of scum and villainy-- some nights are not bad at all for social RP and more fitting in the setting. And some nights are just terrible. It really just depends). Of course there is a good amount of RP that happens elsewhere, but if you just want to see it happening for certain, Pony is active pretty darn often, usually in N.A. evenings on Landroval. Sunday night had a good 20 heavy RPers in there.

For Landroval (and indeed the majority of servers), the global channel is /joinchannel glff. /1 to talk into it if it's your first channel.

Feel free to IM me on Landroval should you come again this evening. *points to chars in signature below*
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/dgoqrr.jpg[/IMG]
    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle[B]
    Landroval[/B]: [SIZE=1]LAERLIN ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/laerlin"]Bio + Drawings[/URL]) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/aethelind"]Bio + Drawing[/URL]) • NETHAEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://tinyurl.com/mnwbbbq"]Make LOTRO Housing Fun & Profitable![/URL] • [URL="http://tinyurl.com/m33b8be"]New Dye Color Suggestions![/URL][/CENTER]

In my experience, the commonly used channel is GLFF. You should try both.

Though, even then, not everyone know of the channels, or how to join them.
    Anyway, kept killing wolves and spiders (a mind-numbingly boring endeavor) until I made it to Level 10
    You only killed mobs? As in you didn't do any quests? o.O Do you know how MMO's work?
    which seemed to open up the Instance stuff you all were talking about above. I guess I'll go ahead and buy a least a month's worth of VIP access to help me explore this even further.
    The only instances that open up at lvl 10 are the Big Battles of Hornburg, and only if you own the Helm's Deep expansion.

The free instances only open up at lvl 20. There are 2 skirmishes (Tuckborough and Gondamon) and the Great Barrows instances.
    After that, there are lvl 32 there is the non-scaling Garth Agarwen instances.

And, as far as the free regions, Ered Luin and the Shire range from lvl 7-15, Bree-land ranges from lvl 7-20 and Lone-lands ranges from lvl 20-30.

So, if you're only level 10, you have a long way to go before you need to purchase anything, or become VIP.

Landroval and other North American servers -- /joinchannel glff
    Laurelin and other Euro servers -- /joinchannel globallff

I thought he was playing on Laurelin. But I now see he tried both Laurelin and Landroval. So yep, try glff on Landy. Globallff on Laurelin.

No worries. I got it all sorted, and then I had a bout of the Be Careful What You Wish For blues. On one hand, I didn't feel so lonely and isolated anymore; but on the other, there was a bit too much game-related, but OOC chatter going on--and lots of WTS and WTB spam.

I did venture over to the Pony in Bree and was happy to see at least 10-15 players in there, all in "/rp on" mode (i.e., white names), but alas, it was dead silence (both in terms of text and emotes) with everyone just standing around doing nothing. I guess they all must have been in private chat channels or something. After ten minutes, I just decided to leave figuring it was a private party or something. (Oh, and I tried to look you up, Laire, in the player list, but oddly it came up completely empty. [Yes, I cleared both the level and area filters.] Server glitch?)

And, HaleElven, no, I'm slowly doing the quests, but since they are one-shot only things, my idea was to level up some and then duo or trio the quests with others--not for the difficulty, but just the comradery.

but since they are one-shot only things, my idea was to level up some and then duo or trio the quests with others--not for the difficulty, but just the comradery.
    I'm not sure what your history with MMO's is, but if you've played any of the old school ones, like the original Everquest, then you might have a different opinion.

In Everquest, there were (ironically) only very few quests. And, the vast majority of experience was gained from grinding endlessly on mobs at camp points. But, they couldn't be solo'ed, so you had to group. Now, if you were playing during peak hours, all the camp groups were full with a wait list. If you were playing during off-peak hours, there wasn't enough players to form a group. So, it wasn't fun when your only hope of playing with any actual progression was tied to the mandatory presence of others.

Now, we come to LotRO in its current form, in a post-WoW world, and the vast majority of experience is is gained from quests that are rated as solo. I welcome this because if all the game was full of quests that required full fellowships, and you had similar experience of not running in (m)any other players, then you wouldn't be able to progress.

Now, if you want a questing buddy, then I suggest either you find someone IRL and try to get them to play the game. Or, join a kinship and play with someone in there. However, the main problem with that is that it's way too easy to have a gap in questing form if you don't completely synchronize your play schedules.

RP silence

If you were in the Pony & all seems quiet check your filters for your dialogue box. A lot of roleplaying is done using the rp channel, not the say. I was in there the other day, nothing seemed to be happening, then I realised I had my general tab selected this only gives me regional, advise, standard & global messages. Clicking to another tab that gives me emotes, rp, user channels, I couldn't keep up with the chatter as it scrolled on the screen!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast