We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Reference to Morgoth

I was playing a skirmish, for once, after a long while and noticed a lieutenant, Rage of Morgoth. Another example is Spawn of Angband. In the storyline, we see Antheron, who is obviously Annatar, but why this in particular? I thought the Silmarillion was off limits with lots of copyright goulash.
    In the movies: Gandalf mentions Balrog of Morgoth, but refrains from using the names Palladan and Alatar.

So, what exactly are the limits to these copyrights? (Thinking in terms of movies, here)

Quote Originally Posted by Fingalfin View Post
    I was playing a skirmish, for once, after a long while and noticed a lieutenant, Rage of Morgoth. Another example is Spawn of Angband. In the storyline, we see Antheron, who is obviously Annatar, but why this in particular? I thought the Silmarillion was off limits with lots of copyright goulash.
    In the movies: Gandalf mentions Balrog of Morgoth, but refrains from using the names Palladan and Alatar.

So, what exactly are the limits to these copyrights? (Thinking in terms of movies, here)
    First of all, copyrights for movies and the game are completely separate, they are provided to unrelated entities.

As for the details, copyright allows use of material mentioned in the covered works. "Balrog of Morgoth" was explicitly named as such in LotR by Legolas. Angband was named by Aragorn in passing. Alatar and Pallando were never mentioned by names in any direct LotR or Hobbit material. Same with Annatar who, if I remember correctly, was named as such only in "The Rings of Power" within Silmarillion.

I kind of thought so, but thanks for the confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by Egorvlad View Post
    Angband was named by Aragorn in passing.
    It's a bit more than that; Aragorn summarises the tale of Beren and Luthien for the hobbits (see FOTR, 'A Knife in the Dark'). It's by far the biggest chunk of Silmarillion references in LOTR.