We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 29 of 29

Thread: The stat system

  1. #26
    I know this thread is very outdated but hopefully some of the hivemind that started it are still around.
    Are these formulas still accurate? I see alot of this discussion was using items from Helms Deep and item levels in the mid hundreds but currently items levels are now 400-422 and still growing. Is the math still capable of these changes or have the systems changed so much and the drive of understanding not kept up?

    If the math still works out, can it be used to predict gear pieces? Could i set up a way to put in the stats of an item level 406 and theorize what it would be at 414? Or 450? Of that same quality? Could the same be said for essences and knowing that they are now versus what they could be later?

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinuw View Post
    I know this thread is very outdated but hopefully some of the hivemind that started it are still around.
    Are these formulas still accurate? I see alot of this discussion was using items from Helms Deep and item levels in the mid hundreds but currently items levels are now 400-422 and still growing. Is the math still capable of these changes or have the systems changed so much and the drive of understanding not kept up?
    Indeed, this guide is hopelessly outdated with it's formulas. If you really want to have an understanding about how stats are calculated then you can take a look at the stat definition file of CalcStat: https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...-CalcStat.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Brinuw View Post
    If the math still works out, can it be used to predict gear pieces? Could i set up a way to put in the stats of an item level 406 and theorize what it would be at 414? Or 450? Of that same quality? Could the same be said for essences and knowing that they are now versus what they could be later?
    We still have some tools around that can help:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...re-compendium)

    or the spreadsheet in my signature, but I didn't spend so much time on that lately.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Giseldah View Post
    Indeed, this guide is hopelessly outdated with it's formulas. If you really want to have an understanding about how stats are calculated then you can take a look at the stat definition file of CalcStat: https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...-CalcStat.html



    We still have some tools around that can help:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...re-compendium)

    or the spreadsheet in my signature, but I didn't spend so much time on that lately.
    Giseldah,
    I've been reading your stuff for years, but really I should say "reading," because I'm no programmer and understand so little of the technical stuff that I wouldn't dare try to install it lest I break my game access. Still, the allure of being able to know how various choices actually affect my character keeps me from just giving up. Even a purely game-external character stat simulator would be wonderful. (My main is level 96, as an RP'r who doesn't raid, but I still care about my stats.) Is there any hope for the throngs of programmer-illiterate? (Thank you for all you've done and do! I don't mean to detract from your highly-treasured work, which features thousands of happy downloads.)

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubhghall View Post
    Giseldah,
    I've been reading your stuff for years, but really I should say "reading," because I'm no programmer and understand so little of the technical stuff that I wouldn't dare try to install it lest I break my game access. Still, the allure of being able to know how various choices actually affect my character keeps me from just giving up. Even a purely game-external character stat simulator would be wonderful. (My main is level 96, as an RP'r who doesn't raid, but I still care about my stats.) Is there any hope for the throngs of programmer-illiterate? (Thank you for all you've done and do! I don't mean to detract from your highly-treasured work, which features thousands of happy downloads.)
    LotRO-Companion (see link in previous post) is an external 'simulator' with a plugin for the game client (for exporting your character's item information). Afaik, the application uses the same calculations as the game client(kind of half pre-fabricated), so it should give correct results (precision/roundings can always give some trouble so a 100% is never possible). Give it a try!

    I use a different approach in my projects, in the sense that I want to understand what the underlying calculations are. I always calculate all the way from the most basic level to the end result. I find this more interesting, but it can introduce more calculation errors, because the game client sometimes calculates less precise than I do.
    For example: 4/3 = 1.33333333.. and so on, but the client might work with a pre-calculated 1.333335 which is some result from multiple rounding/limited precision calculations. The problem is that with total calculation from base up (constants), imitating these same errors is hard to impossible. In this case I just use 4/3 in the precision available, usually double float. The end result might be some 1/1000th of a rating difference. This is tiny, but it might be just enough for 1233.499 to be 1233.501 which is rounded a large difference.
    Last edited by Giseldah; Mar 01 2020 at 04:04 AM.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload