We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Solo

Solo

Can LOTR be played solo?

Yes, although it is definitely a plus to at least be in a good kinship that you can chat in and ask for advice.
    There are also a few quests and instances that are meant for groups, but you will be able to complete the story solo.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Yes, although it is better to group with a friend or 2, helps make the time go by. But the game itself, story wise is able to be played by yourself on most quests, all epic/story quests can be done solo. There are quests for groups as well as raids and instances, and skirms which will require groups, but it's not mandatory. Only once or twice have i needed an extra person to help me with solo but that was the weakness in my class as a hunter at that one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlene View Post
    Can LOTR be played solo?
    Yes

/12345

Absolutely. It's much easier than most single player rpg games I've tried. There are some areas and instances with elite mobs where you need a group, but they are optional.

Yes. It is probably the most solo-friendly of all the large MMOs currently operating at the moment. There are still some areas that are group-only - and the groupies retain dibs on the best equipment.
    But that wont bother you until you reach the level cap anyway. Nor will you need the best gear to tackle the solo parts of the game.
    The groupies here have conspicuously and repeatedly failed to interact successfully with the majority of the player base.
    As a result, they are already irrelevant - and may well be effectively extinct by the time you reach cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlene View Post
    Can LOTR be played solo?
    For the most part, yes - but LoTRO does have robust social elements as well. Depending on the server you choose, there are multiple RP kinships and groups, kinships that specialize in crafting and exploration.... there are a lot of options for a social gamer in LoTRO.

Oh, and Angmar. Angmar the zone is very group-heavy. If you want to get through that zone on-level, expect to be looking for some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitestones View Post
    For the most part, yes - but LoTRO does have robust social elements as well. Depending on the server you choose, there are multiple RP kinships and groups, kinships that specialize in crafting and exploration.... there are a lot of options for a social gamer in LoTRO.

Oh, and Angmar. Angmar the zone is very group-heavy. If you want to get through that zone on-level, expect to be looking for some help.

Interesting signature. See, now I would argue that end game content according to Tolkien was, Battle of the Five Armies, Battle of the Hornburg, Battle of the Pelennor Fields, Osgiliath, Black Gate etc. Then of course you have the smaller instances, Moria, Amon Sul, Parth Galen, etc.

LotRO can indeed be played solo. However, I would suggest you play with friends, or find a DECENT and ACTIVE kinship. From personal experience, I can tell you that it is alot more fun playing in a group, not to mention alot easier too. Solo gets a bit boring...after a while.

/salute

Quote Originally Posted by wachkussen View Post
    Yes. It is probably the most solo-friendly of all the large MMOs currently operating at the moment. There are still some areas that are group-only - and the groupies retain dibs on the best equipment.
    But that wont bother you until you reach the level cap anyway. Nor will you need the best gear to tackle the solo parts of the game.
    The groupies here have conspicuously and repeatedly failed to interact successfully with the majority of the player base.
    As a result, they are already irrelevant - and may well be effectively extinct by the time you reach cap.
    So you are saying that end-game gear, the best gear cant be obtained by solo? Can be purchased from other players?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubtFulMind View Post
    So you are saying that end-game gear, the best gear cant be obtained by solo?
    It can be gotten solo.
    Can be purchased from other players?
    Yes, they're trade able. And encouraged, since you can only have one viable crafting profession per character.
    So, unless you have 6 alts for the other crafting professions, you'll be needing to be relying on other player's crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticNightmare View Post
    Interesting signature. See, now I would argue that end game content according to Tolkien was, Battle of the Five Armies, Battle of the Hornburg, Battle of the Pelennor Fields, Osgiliath, Black Gate etc. Then of course you have the smaller instances, Moria, Amon Sul, Parth Galen, etc.
    "End game" has several different meanings, varying
    by context. For your basic old computer-game-in-a-
    box, the end game was the conclusion, after which
    the game stopped unless you wanted to make a new
    character and start all over.

In a game such as this one (or many other MMOs),
    end game is what (some) players do when they've
    finished all the available content, have reached level
    cap, and want something to do until the next update.
    (Some) other players start leveling another alt.

The concept of an "end game" always seemed a little
    strange to me, since this game keeps updating and
    providing more things to do. But that's just me.

The real "end game" will come when Turbine finally
    stops updating it (as recently happened in AC1) and/or
    shuts it down.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Yes, it's an extremely solo friendly game.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    "End game" has several different meanings, varying
    by context. For your basic old computer-game-in-a-
    box, the end game was the conclusion, after which
    the game stopped unless you wanted to make a new
    character and start all over.

In a game such as this one (or many other MMOs),
    end game is what (some) players do when they've
    finished all the available content, have reached level
    cap, and want something to do until the next update.
    (Some) other players start leveling another alt.

The concept of an "end game" always seemed a little
    strange to me, since this game keeps updating and
    providing more things to do. But that's just me.

The real "end game" will come when Turbine finally
    stops updating it (as recently happened in AC1) and/or
    shuts it down.
    Yeah I was just messing with him/her. But, that just shows what you said. End game really is something different to everyone. My end game has always been pretty much everything. Mostly instances and raids, but also some exploring of old areas to revisit, alts, dailies, skirms, etc.

With regards to the question; I don't think I have ever played another MMO that was as solo oriented as LOTRO. You could play through to cap solo without a hindrance, and at this point, even acquire some of the gear that used to be exclusive to group content. If you do end up wanting to try some group stuff though, I would highly encourage it. It can be a lot of fun working together with people for a common goal and figuring out a strategy that works. Very satisfying when you finally conquer an especially difficult instance. I used to be a mostly solo player but when I met some of my current kinmates in a pug, I had a blast and ended up meeting so many cool people that I've known for years now. Plus, they were lifesavers in helping me to understand various aspects of the game and providing me with some awesome gear.

It's really up to you. I prefer a mix of both solo and group content. I just like having options. Nothing in this game will stop you from playing completely solo if you'd like. There's not much left that requires a group.

You can reach level cap by crafting, though it would take some considerable time. Soloing was given preferential treatment sometimes after after Mirkwood. Most group content before that time was mandatory (such as class quest, epic books). They introduced inspired greatness (a huge buff so that on level characters can finish what was a group quest) for the epic books. In Moria you no longer have to actually do your class quest to get the skill (even that I believe has change as we are now on the skill tree). So yes you can easily solo all the way through Helm's Deep. Personally I like the option to do both. Though I thoroughly enjoy group play there were times when leveling an alt a group just could not be found. Being able to choose to solo was a nice alternative.
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....