We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is the lottery not working anymore?

hello, I returned to this game a week ago, and every time I go to the lottery, it says " 404. You Shall
    Not Pass!
    (and also, the page you requested could not be found)" is this common to you all or is it just me? Are the lotteries down for some reason?

Thanks

Welcome back!

The lottery server was damaged beyond repair during the data center power outage just before the release of Helm's Deep. Turbine is considering (and possibly working on) a new system that's better and more like a true lottery format, but there's been no timeframe given for it going live.

I see, thanks!

A classy 404

On a related note, I just pushed the 'lotteries' tab for the heck of it - and got stopped cold by Gandalf. Curses. Perhaps if I come back with a few ring wraiths?

Wasn't expecting it, anyway. Nice one Turbine.

To all intents and purposes the Lottery is gone. However there are Hobbit Presents which you get each day you log in. If you are VIP you get an extra choice on the present (weekly?).

I don't use hobbit presents but loads do and they sort of replace the lottery in functionality and you don't have to wait to see if you win. You will always get something.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

that bright star in the constelation of Vela
    I must admit I would love to have the lottery back. I once won a 1st age symbol (during the great river expansion) and was jumping with joy especially as i sold it for 500 gold as i already had 2 FA's
    Having said that, I think it's the winning that makes it special and not the prize itself.
    Please bring back the lottery.
    MOORS: HUNTER R11, WARG R9
    BE NOT FEARFUL OF DEATH FOR IT WILL LEAD YOU TO AN EVEN GREATER ADVENTURE,
    AS LIFE IT SELF IS A JOURNEY TO DEATH AND ONE WHICH WE MUST ALL TAKE.... LIVE GOOD, FIGHT HARD, DIE WELL.

a little old topic, but i agree with having fun getting stuff from a lottery
    i love the equipment with bonusses i could use (higher armor than what i could get, and still useable at lower lvl, and bonusses always help), and buffs and potions, which helped me out alot

even if it'd be every 2 or 3 days of having a chance would do well

maybe sounds greedy, but i'd love to have some kind of lottery which always let 1 of your chars win (the ones you register only, of course), every month 1 char getting a few items
    a year has 52 weeks, so that'd be 52x a few items a year, not much, but at least you get stuff you could use

and 1 kind of each item, like 5x fireworks or something else for fun, 3x buffs (like walking faster or such), 3x some potions based on character's level and 1 piece of equipment, and the piece of equipment being either your char's level, or higher for when you level up

oh wait, i think instead of giving 1 of your selected chars those gifts, just let us choose only 1 char per lottery
    and as for the time, it could also be once every 2 weeks, so that we wont get that much, but at least something

you just have to register that character in order to get such stuff
    i dont know if it makes things easier, but if its hard to let a char who has been registered at lvl 12, becomes lvl 15 or even higher, for example, the char gets equipment from the lvl it was registered on, which is lvl 12 in this example, so that if you still got no better equipment, you get it, and if you did get better, you can merch it for some money

this is just an idea to make it more attractive than once a month you have a small chance of getting something, for example
    and you know how people think, if they get stuff for sure, they will feel good, and good feelings will open their wallet for ingame store stuff much easier (i mean, that happens in other MMO's i play)

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Despite several attempts to build a new lottery system, it is unlikely at this point that the feature will return.

There is a new lottery, called hobbit presents in the game
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

Quote Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
    There is a new lottery, called hobbit presents in the game
    Hobbit Gift is more like a slot machine than a lottery, which you insert coin (free try per day or per week) to get one prize per time.

Meanwhile, lottery system can:
    -Offer multi-prizes at once under a certain theme (heck, it can offer the whole Mathom-set if Turbine feels like too)
    -Offer stuffs that cannot be store-bought like web-bought standard and premium expansions and TP-giving items.
    -Entirely free. No coin attached.
    -Can be registered for multi-characters at multi-servers to increase the chance to win.
    -You can know which character of yours win the prizes.

It is too bad that Turbine cannot make the system online again in near future.
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Despite several attempts to build a new lottery system, it is unlikely at this point that the feature will return.
    That is very sad news.

Maybe they can work something with the hobbit presents to be for more characters.
    “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.” -???

Open source. I bet you some of us developers could fix it for you.
    [charsiq=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/05206000000048585/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsiq]

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.Preston View Post
    Open source. I bet you some of us developers could fix it for you.
    Unfortunately, this proposal would require Turbine to give non employees access to company confidential data. Turbine is not going to that. There is a cost to supporting the non employee developers when the have questions, paying for the server, copying the data, testing what is provided, making sure it scales and works properly in the live environment on the production complex without degrading performance while we are playing the game. Plus it can't add instability to the game worlds.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
    Maybe they can work something with the hobbit presents to be for more characters.
    wow, thats a nice idea, either that, or good old lottery back

hobbit presents for more chars would do alot good
    maybe for 4 chars, i mean, we have 9 classes, so kind of half of em could get one each day

awesome idea

11/10 for this suggestion, both thumbs up (or is that cheating? )

It was axed. Let it go.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    My question: Why build a new system when you could always just do a rollback on the old system using the original code for it?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

between the heavens and the underworld, bka Middle-Earth!

Option 1: Original Code, there is no option 1, Option 2: From Scratch, costly, Option 3:Can It, winner!

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    My question: Why build a new system when you could always just do a rollback on the old system using the original code for it?
    Unfortunately, Turbine didn't plan ahead for this kind of catastrophe, there is no 'original code' to go back to, the drive crashed hard, no backups/R.A.I.D., recovery would be too expensive to get the code back, only other option is to start from scratch, hard sell to draw the Dev's from working it off the clock for the players, paid is always better!

Quote Originally Posted by UnoMuyLoco77 View Post
    Unfortunately, Turbine didn't plan ahead for this kind of catastrophe, there is no 'original code' to go back to, the drive crashed hard, no backups/R.A.I.D., recovery would be too expensive to get the code back, only other option is to start from scratch, hard sell to draw the Dev's from working it off the clock for the players, paid is always better!
    Funny how it died right after that one guy won the HD expansion lottery on multiple accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnier View Post
    Funny how it died right after that one guy won the HD expansion lottery on multiple accounts.

That sounds rather logical, actually ;p....

Anyway, we have the hobbit presents at least, although I don't remember getting anything from you on your birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post
    That sounds rather logical, actually ;p....

Anyway, we have the hobbit presents at least, although I don't remember getting anything from you on your birthday!
    According to the live stream today, no more lotteries. Period.

5 Haven Way, Menellant, Falathorn, Elendimir
    Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    According to the live stream today, no more lotteries. Period.
    Surprising. We could have expected as much since they went down and the current state of affairs. Not a huge loss though.
    Hallatur [LM] | Galadtar [HNT] | Yaraval [RK] | Tarsilme [CPT] | Till [BRG]
    Proud Member of Aurora Australis of Elendilmir on Arkenstone
    ~Founder of Aphadrim uin Calad of Elendilmir on Arkenstone~ Established: February 2005~