We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

1v1'ers, Soloists, Small Groupers: A Mass Transfer Discussion

The servers are dying out. Everyone is fleeing to Brandywine and adding to the massive lag problems. Proposing a mass transfer to Brandywine seems both 1) stupid, for lag reasons, and 2) pointless, as people already have and will continue to transfer there. And personally, RvR doesn't appeal to me. Transferring to a lesser populated server by yourself or with one or two friends is risky - it could be as dead as my home server. Turbine has no plans to ever merge servers, afaik, so what good option is left? Well, it depends on you fine folks...

While it's difficult to categorize individual playstyles, it seems LOTRO PvP'ers generally fall into one of two categories: those who like small group, solo, and/or 1v1 action -vs- those who like big battles, the more the merrier. Unfortunately, each playstyle tends to hurt the other - small-groupers, soloists, and 1v1 circles can make it hard for people to get RvR going - and RvR oftentimes leads to small groups, soloists, and 1v1'ers getting zerged over and over and over. Unfortunately, no server exists that primarily caters to just one side or the other. If you have the numbers to support RvR, you will have RvR - while people still try to solo/small group without getting zerged. If you don't have any RvR, it's because you don't have the numbers and your off-peak hours are going to be dead and awful. Each server is slightly different in-regards to this, but the basic premise holds true.

What's my point here? The servers dying out gives us an opportunity to create something never seen in this game: a high-population, small-group-centric moors. I know there are many people out there such as myself, frustrated with the lack of action on their home server and looking for a new home. Let's pick the new Brandywine alternative together.

If we had... say... over 50 people committed to transferring a PvP character to an agreed upon new server, ./sign this if you would go.

Current Total Commits: 51
    Last edited by harman097; Aug 27 2014 at 06:45 PM.

It's a good idea, I wish you best of luck with it. I'm afraid that you won't get enough people, though. Personally, I love 1v1, 3v3, 6v6. I'd be very much interested to join a server dedicated to this style of PvP... But I'm from an EU server. But like I said, good luck ^^
    Feailuve - Akabath
    [EN]Evernight

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    It's a good idea, I wish you best of luck with it. I'm afraid that you won't get enough people, though. Personally, I love 1v1, 3v3, 6v6. I'd be very much interested to join a server dedicated to this style of PvP... But I'm from an EU server. But like I said, good luck ^^
    I think you're right, but I figure it's worth a try. If you had enough people commit to transferring initially - enough to form a solid, core start to things - word would spread and more people would trickle in. It's getting that initial group to make the move, though.

To those on NA servers that are interested - we'd need help spreading the word outside of just this forum post. Ask friends that don't check the forums or even ones that might have given up on this game in the short-term.

Where do I sign up?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d0000002c9618/signature.png]Farimur[/charsig]

thereby starting the whole transfer cycle again

If I'm honest, I can't say you'll ever avoid the zergs, us small groupers and soloers will never be able to have a decent fight. On Brandyzerg, there are 50 facerolling ezmoders per 1 decent creep or freep. If only 1 ezmoder transfers per 1 decent player, the balance is offset. It's a lovely idea but I'm doubtful you'll really get the sort of balance you're after whilst maintaining the free flowing feeling of pvp. Roaming around on a server as a soloer only works because bad players and good players roam around for whatever reason, when you divide the server population by say, 50, you're going to find more 1v1 only action, but less of it.

I.e. you have less chance to find a creep, but by the same token, when you do, there's also less chance another creep (6 healers, in the case of Brandyzerg) will show up. By this logic, a server filled with small groupers and soloers is likely to only work if there are mass numbers, and when there's mass numbers there's always the opportunity to get a bigger group going and since lotro actively rewards zerging over fair fights, it would take a seriously conscientious and respectful community to make it work, which is just too hard to achieve this late in the game, I think.

If you can get reasonable numbers on both sides, I will certainly transfer or make a character on the server and check it out, but I don't believe it will work unless you find never finding anyone to fight fun.
    Leader of Hysteria

Just name a dead server... And we'll see It might be wiser to just start leveling all over instead of transfering, though. In case the plan doesn't work out.
    Feailuve - Akabath
    [EN]Evernight

The important thing about life is the struggle, not the triumph... Said no winner ever.

elendilmir definitely feels dead, and used to have a good reputation. why not choose us?
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

I think a better question would be; What server has a foundation strong enough that this would actually get off its feet?

The player base as a whole seems to frown on PvMP, and an even smaller faction within the select few that PvP are pro 1v1/small group

Just name a dead server... And we'll see
    I won't spend the money to transfer, myself, if I can't get at least 50 people to commit to a PvP char there. I'm interested to hear peoples' opinions and server suggestions, first - then I'll probly hop around from server to server a bit and see if I can't stroke some egos into committing a xfer or two.

If I'm honest, I can't say you'll ever avoid the zergs, us small groupers and soloers will never be able to have a decent fight.
    I agree with the first part, 100%. Even if it was a handpicked server from the most like-minded 1v1/solo/smgroup'ers, you'd still have zergs, occasional raids, and the big fish would still continue to gobble the little fish, certainly. But I don't think that will stop people from having great fights. People have great small group fights in the current states of the moors - its just they tend to be harder and harder to get. Gotta get zerged X amount of times before your next good fight. I don't expect that this idea would totally re-write the nature of the moors - I just think it would be about as far to the small-group side of the spectrum as LOTRO PvP could get - and I think it'd be a blast if you had enough people (the big, unlikely if).

Quote Originally Posted by Murtanion View Post
    I think a better question would be; What server has a foundation strong enough that this would actually get off its feet?

The player base as a whole seems to frown on PvMP, and an even smaller faction within the select few that PvP are pro 1v1/small group
    Riddermark, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by harman097 View Post
    Riddermark, perhaps?
    Riddermark is quite dead. Best you'll see during prime time is maybe (if you're lucky) a group of 6~ Freeps and Creeps, hardly any 1v1s and no Grams/GV camps. Riddermark has become a wasteland with the occasional roamers.

This information may be incorrect as I transferred from Riddermark last week, but when I was there it was this.
    [center][IMG]http://www.auplod.com/u/pdoual520eb.png[/IMG]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Renbash-1 ~ Hadrochnyce ~ Lotharius-1 ~ Sabaktes-1[/FONT]
    [color=#FC0303] ~ Riddermark and Brandywine ~[/color]
    [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uSwToWqYOs/]This probably applies to you.[/url] [/center]

Quote Originally Posted by zr1iblez View Post
    Riddermark is quite dead. Best you'll see during prime time is maybe (if you're lucky) a group of 6~ Freeps and Creeps, hardly any 1v1s and no Grams/GV camps. Riddermark has become a wasteland with the occasional roamers.

This information may be incorrect as I transferred from Riddermark last week, but when I was there it was this.
    I wouldn't mind some more pvpers on Ridder... lol
    Eredor-Champion, Ereworn-Minstrel, Ereshorn-Runekeeper, Eresworn-Hunter, Pleasefarmme-Reaver Eremourn-Burglar Erehorn-Captain, Erelorn-Warden, Eretorn-Lore-Master... And Erecorn-Master Farmer

Well, y'all can skip Nimrodel as a base we can't even muster much of anything now a days. A lot of our PVMPers moved to other servers already, a few drift back from time to time and then leave again so there's no stability on this server for such an enterprise.

Not sure how Turbine feels about this sort of thing as they've always said No to a dedicated PVMP server and or having a copy-one-way transfer to a server for this purpose. I guess they could re-imposed a transfer black out again if they disapproved.

I'll be interested to see how it rolls out...
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

I think if they limited the raids to 12 man raids you would find the game dynamics change and people using strats/getting healers and being able to maintain that many people.

I would join to get my creep moved to another server, though I play on Aussie times so Vilya suits me well for 1v1's up to 12 man raids on my time. during weekends I get to see the raid vs raid's on American times.

I think that Turbine should make it that when you enter PvMP you enter another server so instead of having say 200 people on 20+ servers, that they make it so that they have 10-15 servers that can always be guaranteed that other players will be out. you could enter the server as a prefixed fellowship and the whole fellowship goes to that server, or pick the server you wish to enter/queue for if it is full and you really want to join other players.

There are so many ideas turbine could run with to get people excited about PvMP but they have no interest in it and after 7 years changes the moors 4-5 times, but bring now real challenge to the playing groups, besides making it easier to get rank renown.

Quote Originally Posted by harman097 View Post
    If we had... say... over 50 people
    Speaking only to the situation on Meneldor, during U13 (specifically, I can only speak to the last month and a half) we had a seemingly limitless supply of creeps - FoTM? most probably, and a lack of freeps - being, I can only assume so frightened of the prospect of creeps being on-par that they could not manage their way out of Bree.

Now the 'moors is a fragile* place, where even a handful of numbers (a group of five to seven) on either side can shut down the entire operation, sending the opposition to pout-it-out in GV/Gramz.

So, for smaller servers that still yet breath, an influx of dedicated PvP'ers - both creep and freep, evenly spread - in much smaller numbers could easily jump start them toward a semblance of success.

*This fragility also has a lot to do with terribad play (Ermahgerd! I died in a PvP zone! Need. More. Healers!), but I'm not looking to fix boring in a forum post.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040100001fa1ba/signature.png]Healzfordummies[/charsig]

Defilers and children first!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycrest View Post
    limitless supply of creeps - FoTM?
    creeps being on-par
    Uhm. I'm glad you actually realize yourself (a bit, anyway), that it wasn't on-par in U13.
    Feailuve - Akabath
    [EN]Evernight

Uhm. I'm glad you actually realize yourself (a bit, anyway), that it wasn't on-par in U13.
    No, no.

There was nothing so broken on freepside U13 to excuse the mass freep exodus. Group v. group - the only legitimate measuring stick to gauge "balance" (and this is subjective) - produced exciting fights. What freeps who continued to PvP had stacked - and that, in spades - against them was numbers.

And make no mistake as to which side I speak of, as I came back to LoTRO during the last month and a half of U13 and played my minstrel.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040100001fa1ba/signature.png]Healzfordummies[/charsig]

No, no.

There was nothing so broken on freepside U13 to excuse the mass freep exodus. Group v. group - the only legitimate measuring stick to gauge "balance" (and this is subjective) - produced exciting fights. What freeps who continued to PvP had stacked - and that, in spades - against them was numbers.

And make no mistake as to which side I speak of, as I came back to LoTRO during the last month and a half of U13 and played my minstrel.
    Of course freeps had numbers against them. It is always so. Not to mention the 1m cool down (at the time) rezzes and map-ins... recipe for disaster. This is not mentioning the amount of defilers and reavers and wargs and spiders. Stacked heals on every single target and your healers constantly CC'ed, silenced and taking huge Impales.
    I think anyone who played freep in U13 will agree with me that U13 was in the favour of creeps. Not on-par. The fact that creeps, who normally outnumber freeps, were strengthened by fotm weavers/defi's, only made things worse.
    I'm not saying it was impossible to kill a creep group with equal numbers, because it was not so hard... but only because the creeps didn't really know what they were doing. Yet it was sometimes pretty close with Impale devs and perma CC.
    Feailuve - Akabath
    [EN]Evernight

Conflicted, thy name is Giliodor!

All at once you cue up the woe-is-me muzak with:

Of course freeps had numbers against them. It is always so. Not to mention the 1m cool down (at the time) rezzes and map-ins... recipe for disaster. This is not mentioning the amount of defilers and reavers and wargs and spiders. Stacked heals on every single target and your healers constantly CC'ed, silenced and taking huge Impales.
    I think anyone who played freep in U13 will agree with me that U13 was in the favour of creeps. Not on-par. The fact that creeps, who normally outnumber freeps, were strengthened by fotm weavers/defi's, only made things worse.
    ...then proceed to suggest it was all lark:

I'm not saying it was impossible to kill a creep group with equal numbers, because it was not so hard... .
    Which is it? On-par, too easy or an impossible excruciating ordeal?

Wait! Don't answer, I really don't care and we're hijacking the topic of the thread with nonsense.

[...]
    Allow me to congratulate you. Selective quoting ftw.
    Feailuve - Akabath
    [EN]Evernight

Well the thread derailed fast but I love the idea. Something I've wanted for a long time. I personally would recommend Crick/Slode/Ridder. Slode isn't as dead but it has more creeps that could probably deal with the fact that more freeps will take to this idea than creeps. Also I have a couple midlevel toons on slode so I'm biased Word is Firefoot is also dead. So yeah. I'll be keeping tabs on this thread for sure.

(Retired) Arkenstone: Immanitas R12 Burg, Gorbat R12 Reaver, Sueahpro R11 Mini, Falsified R9 RK, -The Blood Hand
    Crickhollow: Orphluk R9 Warg, Orphelun-1 R8 RK. -The Blood Hand.

I'd recommend Riddermark as the target for this, even if it is currently a wasteland. Server has a history of being a haven for 1v1s, and I have some fond memories of my time there. My Reaver is one of the characters "stranded" on a server that I no longer have any interest in, so I'd be willing to put it and maybe one of my Champions up to transfer if this actually gets going.
    Arkenstone: Blulum (r12 Reaver), Tumblytwo-1 (r10 Champion), Gnaral (r7 Warg) - Nefarious

R.I.P. "The Blood Hand" 05/21/14

Aye, my reaver has nothing to do on E besides killing coldfells soldiers

/signed

I'm done with this game, but Crick could be an option. Most of the friends I've played with have been creep-oriented players and they're constantly complaining in RC on how there aren't any freeps on. This was three weeks ago when I cancelled my subscription. From what it sounds like it's gotten even worse.

In the past six months, there have been mostly 1v1s, two different select elite freep groups with numbers of 6-8 typically, plenty of solo'ers/goldtaggers, creep zergs, and GV camps. Most of the time is very small freep groups (2-3) and solo'ers.

Several creeps I know have power ranked from camping GV and forming heal zergs. In one instance the group we were fighting had more healers than our total group; seven freeps against a creep group with six defilers and two WLs. A Blackarrow I know who was r5 before U13 hit r10 in around a month after it came out. A brand new spider hit r9 in under 2 months. Defilers are even quicker to rank. Since there aren't that many freeps that log on and PvP anymore, there are a bunch of creeps PvEing and occasionally 1v1ing.

Creeps really have nothing to do. I logged onto my Warg yesterday for kicks and giggles and the creeps remarked that this was the biggest group they've been in as we took the DoF buffs. There were 8 of us.

Vilya is dead, and keeps worsening. There were maybe 4 raid leaders left in the past year, counting both sides. Right now, there might be a couple left. Talking about players, you might find 10 creeps/freeps during peak hours.
    *sadface*

/sign

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast