We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,188

    Thank-you, late night response team!

    When seemingly all of the servers went on strike shortly before midnight EST, a lot of players were stuck out of the game. About 30m later connection was restored for at least a fair number of those who'd been booted off (from what I saw on my kin website and facebook). So I'd like to thank the late night response team for doing whatever they were doing to get things back up!
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  2. #2

    Downages.....Bad Situation from Today's Maintenance

    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    When seemingly all of the servers went on strike shortly before midnight EST, a lot of players were stuck out of the game. About 30m later connection was restored for at least a fair number of those who'd been booted off (from what I saw on my kin website and facebook). So I'd like to thank the late night response team for doing whatever they were doing to get things back up!
    I also do appreciate the late night response Team, but I don't think what they did was good enough. I have had multiple of my Kin members, including myself get kicked, first from Chat Server, then out of game.

    Now, you can immediately sign back in, but not on the character you got kicked from. Load times are terrible, and instances are not completable any longer.

    WHat ever they fixed this morning in the maintenance period, they need to back them out.

    This is bad....

    I am also not seeing any chat channels at all...including GLFF, which is a nice respite for a while.

    Lifer in Lotro-traz....

    Klaarond

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,188
    I'm not entirely sure its the servers at all. Two of my kinmates were in the same room. One was able to reconnect and the other wasn't for several minutes. Other kinmates didn't lose connection at all. And once I got past the Installing Pre-Reqs on the launcher, my log-in and character load (to the character I'd been on when I disconnected) were just as fast as ever and I'm experiencing no more lag than is normal for my machine. My chat channels all work fine.

    Very bizarre. I'm not entirely sure it's Turbine's fault at all. It can't be a regional thing, because I saw people from all over the States as well as Australia having problems. It can't be all the servers or even just specific servers, because again some people had no connection problem at all.

    Something wonky is definitely going on, though. I'm curious to know what.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mfriedkin View Post
    I also do appreciate the late night response Team, but I don't think what they did was good enough. I have had multiple of my Kin members, including myself get kicked, first from Chat Server, then out of game.

    Now, you can immediately sign back in, but not on the character you got kicked from. Load times are terrible, and instances are not completable any longer.

    WHat ever they fixed this morning in the maintenance period, they need to back them out.

    This is bad....

    I am also not seeing any chat channels at all...including GLFF, which is a nice respite for a while.

    Lifer in Lotro-traz....

    Klaarond
    One does not necessarily follow the other. Generally, when there is a period of hours between the two events, they are not likely related.
    I like ice cream.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Very bizarre. I'm not entirely sure it's Turbine's fault at all. It can't be a regional thing, because I saw people from all over the States as well as Australia having problems. It can't be all the servers or even just specific servers, because again some people had no connection problem at all.
    We had several from a freep raid and many from the creep raid go link dead at about the same time, within just a few minutes of each other. Many couldn't log back in for awhile. They're from all over the globe, not even just US but Europe as well. Hard to imagine it's their clients all protesting simultaneously.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    I'm not entirely sure its the servers at all. Two of my kinmates were in the same room. One was able to reconnect and the other wasn't for several minutes. Other kinmates didn't lose connection at all. And once I got past the Installing Pre-Reqs on the launcher, my log-in and character load (to the character I'd been on when I disconnected) were just as fast as ever and I'm experiencing no more lag than is normal for my machine. My chat channels all work fine.

    Very bizarre. I'm not entirely sure it's Turbine's fault at all. It can't be a regional thing, because I saw people from all over the States as well as Australia having problems. It can't be all the servers or even just specific servers, because again some people had no connection problem at all.

    Something wonky is definitely going on, though. I'm curious to know what.
    Mar-Evayave:

    I do believe it is the servers. It wasn't doing this last night or the week-end. Nothing has changed except the maintenance this morning, on the servers. When I logged in, even though I didn't see any GLFF chat, only 4 people were in GLFF Chat Channel, which usually has over 200. A lot of people are not able to login.

    You not having any lag, is probably because very few on on yoru server, or able to get on your server. Our Kin usually has 30-45 on each night. Only 4 has been able to get on tonight.


    Also, when there is a server problem, we always lose connectivity to the Chat Servers. This is happening. I have been here since Alpha and Closed Beta....It is servers, not network connections or any player responsibility.

    Klaarond
    Devils Tamer
    FireFoot

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    We had several from a freep raid and many from the creep raid go link dead at about the same time, within just a few minutes of each other. Many couldn't log back in for awhile. They're from all over the globe, not even just US but Europe as well. Hard to imagine it's their clients all protesting simultaneously.
    I didn't say it was their clients. I'm just saying the servers did not crash, as some believed. If the servers crashed everyone would have been kicked out.

    Quote Originally Posted by mfriedkin View Post
    I do believe it is the servers. It wasn't doing this last night or the week-end. Nothing has changed except the maintenance this morning, on the servers. When I logged in, even though I didn't see any GLFF chat, only 4 people were in GLFF Chat Channel, which usually has over 200. A lot of people are not able to login.

    You not having any lag, is probably because very few on on yoru server, or able to get on your server. Our Kin usually has 30-45 on each night. Only 4 has been able to get on tonight.

    Also, when there is a server problem, we always lose connectivity to the Chat Servers. This is happening. I have been here since Alpha and Closed Beta....It is servers, not network connections or any player responsibility.
    There are many reasons to lose connection to the chat servers, and I doubt the problem had anything to do with the maintenance. It could have, but just because it happened the same day as a maintenance does not mean it is set-in-stone the maintenance's fault.

    I had no more lag than normal and Landroval was full of people. There were over a dozen people online in my kin alone and I bumped into several people as I finished up my Fangorn dailies (what I was doing when I disconnected). Landroval is one of the biggest servers. To say that I had no lag because my server was almost empty is ridiculous. My no-lag-ness had nothing to do with how many people were logged in. *shrug*
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  8. #8
    It wasn't either...

    None of you saw the rather large alien craft above turbine headquarters last night?

    I suspect that they were probing some of those employees.

    We should ask turbine if they have any absent employees today. if they know we know.. they might return those employees in record time!

    I also suspect that the energy from the space craft acted like an EMP to the network forcing some of the player base offline.

  9. #9
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    When seemingly all of the servers went on strike shortly before midnight EST, a lot of players were stuck out of the game. About 30m later connection was restored for at least a fair number of those who'd been booted off (from what I saw on my kin website and facebook). So I'd like to thank the late night response team for doing whatever they were doing to get things back up!
    While I'm sure they appreciate the shout out, if we're being honest they didn't do anything. Nothing on our end required their attention. There was no incident for them to respond to.
    While it's unlikely it was client side, that doesn't mean it wasn't somewhere between here and there and route related.

    When people in one area of the game world are dropped or lag out, and not every person involved experiences it, it's not server side. If you aren't impacted by something that impacts another person on the same layer, on the same server, in the same space that you are on then it's not the server. if it were it would impact everyone. Even if it were only that specific instance of the world, it would impact every last person you can see. No exceptions.

    I do know that on Sunday and a couple of times Monday there were some general internet health issues that are far more likely to have been the cause of this.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,728
    Please, when you're having issues like this, do two things. 1. Do a ping trace (tracert or pingplotter) to supplement what the in-game connection monitor is showing and 2. Hit internetpulse.net and look at the backbone. I keep these in the background at all times. From monitoring my connection, I have seen routing trouble propagate and you'd be surprised how often rerouting has to be done if you've not paid attention to it. You can have two people using the same LAN and ISP and one will have trouble when the other does not simply because of dynamic routing and rerouting affecting one connection and not the other.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  11. #11
    I had logged out a bit earlier, and couldn't log back in. Until I did an ipconfig /flushdns from a DOS prompt, I wasn't able to get in. Once I did that, all was good. I suspect a router issue somewhere was catching all our packets in the Ethernet... I have 11 routers between me and the Turbine server (today). Eleven of those don't belong to me or to Turbine. Lots of things can happen twixt here and there.

    What has she gots in her packetes.
    Casual R Us - Garatha

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Garatha View Post
    I had logged out a bit earlier, and couldn't log back in. Until I did an ipconfig /flushdns from a DOS prompt, I wasn't able to get in. Once I did that, all was good. I suspect a router issue somewhere was catching all our packets in the Ethernet... I have 11 routers between me and the Turbine server (today). Eleven of those don't belong to me or to Turbine. Lots of things can happen twixt here and there.

    What has she gots in her packetes.
    + rep, if we still had it, for felicity of language.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmurjuri View Post
    It wasn't either...

    None of you saw the rather large alien craft above turbine headquarters last night?

    I suspect that they were probing some of those employees.

    We should ask turbine if they have any absent employees today. if they know we know.. they might return those employees in record time!

    I also suspect that the energy from the space craft acted like an EMP to the network forcing some of the player base offline.
    I KNEW IT!!! I didn't want to say it, because of how it must sound, but you read my mind! Okay, Sapience, fess up -- you are in league with the little green men, aren't you? (Is there really one named Thor? Just curious...)

    And BTW, we've had a lot of nasty weather in the Great Lakes area. Do EMP pulses influence weather patterns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    While I'm sure they appreciate the shout out, if we're being honest they didn't do anything. Nothing on our end required their attention. There was no incident for them to respond to.
    While it's unlikely it was client side, that doesn't mean it wasn't somewhere between here and there and route related.

    When people in one area of the game world are dropped or lag out, and not every person involved experiences it, it's not server side. If you aren't impacted by something that impacts another person on the same layer, on the same server, in the same space that you are on then it's not the server. if it were it would impact everyone. Even if it were only that specific instance of the world, it would impact every last person you can see. No exceptions.

    I do know that on Sunday and a couple of times Monday there were some general internet health issues that are far more likely to have been the cause of this.
    Meh, they stay up (or are at least on call) in the ungodly hours of the night. For that, they deserve a shout-out regardless of what happens. ^_^

    Anyway, I was rather wondering about that. I've noticed internet troubles for other stuff as well the last few days. Really bizarre. Do they have numbers that they watch that would tell how many people (%) were affected by the problem? Like, does something warn them that there's a problem when a massive amount of people suddenly drop out of the gameworld?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Please, when you're having issues like this, do two things. 1. Do a ping trace (tracert or pingplotter) to supplement what the in-game connection monitor is showing and 2. Hit internetpulse.net and look at the backbone. I keep these in the background at all times. From monitoring my connection, I have seen routing trouble propagate and you'd be surprised how often rerouting has to be done if you've not paid attention to it. You can have two people using the same LAN and ISP and one will have trouble when the other does not simply because of dynamic routing and rerouting affecting one connection and not the other.
    SOP for me is to ping my dad's work servers. I tried that during the situation and while a few pings were higher than normal, most were not. Attempting to ping www.lotro.com however returned a single message that the servers couldn't be reached at all (or something to that effect -- I didn't write it down).
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    And BTW, we've had a lot of nasty weather in the Great Lakes area. Do EMP pulses influence weather patterns?
    More likely, the other way around.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    I KNEW IT!!! I didn't want to say it, because of how it must sound, but you read my mind! Okay, Sapience, fess up -- you are in league with the little green men, aren't you? (Is there really one named Thor? Just curious...)

    And BTW, we've had a lot of nasty weather in the Great Lakes area. Do EMP pulses influence weather patterns?



    Meh, they stay up (or are at least on call) in the ungodly hours of the night. For that, they deserve a shout-out regardless of what happens. ^_^

    Anyway, I was rather wondering about that. I've noticed internet troubles for other stuff as well the last few days. Really bizarre. Do they have numbers that they watch that would tell how many people (%) were affected by the problem? Like, does something warn them that there's a problem when a massive amount of people suddenly drop out of the gameworld?



    SOP for me is to ping my dad's work servers. I tried that during the situation and while a few pings were higher than normal, most were not. Attempting to ping www.lotro.com however returned a single message that the servers couldn't be reached at all (or something to that effect -- I didn't write it down).
    That meant that for you part of the net was offline because no working route was available. One nice thing about pingplotter (free) is that you get a graphical representation of which hop(s) are having issues and with internetpulse.net you can figure out where the issues are. For example, my ISP uses Cogent as its primary backbone access. When that's gone unreachable, they've had to go to a backup access point. That can take time. Once I saw that happen and it took 20 minutes for the new routing to propagate through and then I could get web pages and streams to work.

    I ping gls.lotro.com, not the main web access point, so I can tell if the game's servers are having issues. Pinging www.lotro.com might not give you that information.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,188
    Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    That meant that for you part of the net was offline because no working route was available. One nice thing about pingplotter (free) is that you get a graphical representation of which hop(s) are having issues and with internetpulse.net you can figure out where the issues are. For example, my ISP uses Cogent as its primary backbone access. When that's gone unreachable, they've had to go to a backup access point. That can take time. Once I saw that happen and it took 20 minutes for the new routing to propagate through and then I could get web pages and streams to work.

    I ping gls.lotro.com, not the main web access point, so I can tell if the game's servers are having issues. Pinging www.lotro.com might not give you that information.
    Yeah, it seems like just one of those fluke things. I do find it hard to believe that so many things went down at the same time. For people in the EU, AU and US to all get booted at the same time -- I mean, there's no way that some freak storm in City A caused a temporary power-outage that messed up the connection between all of us and Turbine. Or in the very least, it seems very far-fetched. I'd be curious to know what the actual cause was -- how it could affect so many people in so many places at once. And I don't know about anyone else, but Turbine was the only place I could not access on the internet. Seems mighty odd. *shrug* Most be a box very close to Turbine that routes a lot of incoming traffic around.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Yeah, it seems like just one of those fluke things. I do find it hard to believe that so many things went down at the same time. For people in the EU, AU and US to all get booted at the same time -- I mean, there's no way that some freak storm in City A caused a temporary power-outage that messed up the connection between all of us and Turbine. Or in the very least, it seems very far-fetched. I'd be curious to know what the actual cause was -- how it could affect so many people in so many places at once. And I don't know about anyone else, but Turbine was the only place I could not access on the internet. Seems mighty odd. *shrug* Most be a box very close to Turbine that routes a lot of incoming traffic around.
    Sure it can. All that has to happen is for a key routing point go down for whatever reason. All of the other parts of the system have to propagate the routing changes. I've seen that with my own eyes and it took 20 minutes for my part of the internet to have access to the rest of it. If I were to guess at what happened this time, I'd say a key point in the *backbone* went down. In the US the backbone is a half dozen or so main points peer-to-peer connected with very high speed links. If I am wrong about my last sentence, I'm sure someone will come along and correct me.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,188
    Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Sure it can. All that has to happen is for a key routing point go down for whatever reason. All of the other parts of the system have to propagate the routing changes. I've seen that with my own eyes and it took 20 minutes for my part of the internet to have access to the rest of it. If I were to guess at what happened this time, I'd say a key point in the *backbone* went down. In the US the backbone is a half dozen or so main points peer-to-peer connected with very high speed links. If I am wrong about my last sentence, I'm sure someone will come along and correct me.
    Well, I mean it would have to be pretty close to Turbine, though, correct? It's unlikely that my internet is traveling along the same route as the EU and the AU, until my connection gets pretty close to Turbine. For a more physical example, it's more likely that any backbone went down, it would be positioned close to Turbine's backyard rather than mine (or yours, or anyone else's). Otherwise we'd have had troubles accessing other things (like the rest of the internet at large). If my internet line in my yard goes out, I'm out of luck. But as I'm at the end of that line, I'm the only one out of luck. It wouldn't effect anyone else. But for the problem to be so global and seem restricted to Turbine, that means the problem would be closer to their end.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

  19. #19
    Last night my server in Seattle was out to some areas due to one of the main peers having problems. West coast and south central usa was good. Northern USA and parts of Canada were out. UK some of Europe and AU were not able to connect.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload