We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Account Wide Fast Travel For Former VIPs

With a new class coming this year, it occurs to me I may find myself burning through mithril coins on the new character which will result on my account. Which I would prefer not to do. And after careful preparation to get the most out of a month of VIP a while back (one character of each class logged to get the effect), this vexes me. I'm not saying it's unfair or anything, Turbine has actually been more than fair as I seem to recall that when I did that originally, it only permanently unlocked swift routes that each character had access to the last time they logged during VIP.

What I suggest is an accountwide upgrade that only appears in the store if accessed while logged as a character who already has the swift travel unlock (having previously logged while VIP). This way the incentive for new players to get VIP is still there (and mildly increased since planning when to get it wouldn't be as important), and veteran players get a bone (or an option of a bone, anyway).

Or, the devs could just say to just renew a subscription for a month, log onto the Beorning and not have to worry about the man hours it would take designing a new store item, and determining whether or not a premium player was ever VIP. Also, that will add some cash to their coffers, rather than letting people spend down their TP they have accumulated.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Or, the devs could just say to just renew a subscription for a month, log onto the Beorning and not have to worry about the man hours it would take designing a new store item, and determining whether or not a premium player was ever VIP. Also, that will add some cash to their coffers, rather than letting people spend down their TP they have accumulated.

$15 to unlock swift travel for one character? I don't see many players going for that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    $15 to unlock swift travel for one character? I don't see many players going for that option.
    And, unlocking Race/Virtue Slots and Class tiers. And, Bags 4/5. And, removing the Gold Cap.
    You know, everything that being VIP normally unlocks for a when you log onto the Character. Plus, all the content that's rented for the month.

And, the $15 for the Month of VIP is still cheaper than spending cash to buy the amount of TP it would cost to unlock the Race/Virtue slots and Class tiers, even though just about everything could be bought via account-wide purchase. Then again, you're also assuming that they're only making one character.

Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    Swift travel at 15 dollars for one character. How knows. People pay 25 dollars to transfer a single character. You get a lot of benefits for the 15 dollars - swift travel - gold cap removal - more inventory space - virtue slot unlocks ... for a character that starts at level 1.

The new class is scheduled to start as level 50. Some of these benefits maybe part of the class unlock price.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

HaleElven, keep in mind this suggestion is for folks who have already been VIP on the account (which should be easy to check on a given character since there isn't any other way I know of to unlock swift travel), so we already have the bags and currency unlock. You are correct on the trait slot unlocks which I wasn't thinking about. So maybe my suggested item should simply apply the 'former VIP' quality to all characters rather than specifying the swift travel effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    HaleElven, keep in mind this suggestion is for folks who have already been VIP on the account (which should be easy to check on a given character since there isn't any other way I know of to unlock swift travel), so we already have the bags and currency unlock.
    You may have had them unlocked on certain characters by virtue of having logged onto them while being VIP. However, your new characters, the ones you make after allowing your subscription to have lapsed will not have their Bags unlocked, or gold cap removed, etc. Unless of course, you made those account wide purchases, as I have before going VIP. Because, I doubt anyone who was VIP, would have made those account wide purchases.
    You are correct on the trait slot unlocks which I wasn't thinking about. So maybe my suggested item should simply apply the 'former VIP' quality to all characters rather than specifying the swift travel effect.
    I'm not sure I can agree with that one. While it would be nice for me not to have to renew my subscription for a month to get the full benefits of having being VIP, as a former VIP player, but that's just how Turbine makes some money off of me. Since I'm not a whale, I don't buy TP, and only spend it sparingly.

But, I don't see this as $15 to unlock Swift Travel on one character... I have a character of each class on all 21 English speaking servers, the characters on 2 of those servers have the benefits of being VIP, the other 19 do not. So, when I spend the $15 dollars to renew my subscription when the Beorning class is released, I'm looking to get ... (if my math is correct, 1,235TP for unlocking all Race/Virtue traits slots and Class trait tiers on each character x [9 characters x 19 servers + 21 new Beornings]) 237,210TP worth.

Everything else, like access to Swift Travel routes, is just gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Swift travel at 15 dollars for one character. How knows. People pay 25 dollars to transfer a single character. You get a lot of benefits for the 15 dollars - swift travel - gold cap removal - more inventory space - virtue slot unlocks ... for a character that starts at level 1.

The new class is scheduled to start as level 50. Some of these benefits maybe part of the class unlock price.
    True, true, I forgot that if you made a Beorning after your sub has run out, you wouldn't have gotten those other benefits either.

HaleElven, I see where you're coming from on having lots of characters, but I think that's skewing your view of my suggestion. For the most part, I think, the release of the Beorning will prompt those who get it to start one new character who will not currently get the unlocks for former VIPs and that's the situation I'm looking to mend. Preferably for less than $15. Preferably for TP which can be earned ingame if folks are so inclined. I was just suggesting that a side effect of my solution is that some people would go VIP sooner if they didn't have to get all the characters they wanted unlocks for first, and some of those might pay $-bought TP.

Also, you were misinformed on the bags and currency cap. Once you go VIP, all characters on your account get the benefits of both. I have made new characters since being VIP and they have had both (and I didn't buy them separately).