We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Actually, I have decided to stay put on Landroval

After determining that the cost of a character transfer is 25 dollars, I have expeditiously come to the conclusion that i will not bail. I will be staying on the landroval server. I will either keep it afloat or ultimately 'go down with the ship' after all. On my quest to find server populations and statistics for lotro I stumbled upon an excellent 'tome of information' in the 'binary ether'. As far as i know, it has gathered data/information on server populations for many ages: http://lux-hdro.de/hdro-live-us.php

...lol... minus the RP silliness, I wanted to make a point about my fondness for this game;
    I came back to LOTRO because this is my final MMO. After playing a few different MMO's over the years, I realized that LOTRO is the best mmo ever made.
    Sure upcoming MMO's might be interesting, but ultimately LOTRO is the only MMO that bridges the gap between an epic book line and an equally epic film series. IMHO No other mmo does that. I do not want to sound biased and yes I have read other book series such as the dungeons and dragons series. Nothing i have ever read except for maybe Robert Jordan's wheel of time books are as good as JJR Tolkien's books. Anyhow to conclude- i really love the beautiful landscapes and architecture in this game that stays true to Tolkien's book series. But there is also so much more immersion with LOTRO than any other MMO starting with; player/kin housing, wardrobes, farming, crafting, epic weapon customization and culminating with mounted combat. I have not yet tried mounted combat but omg i can't wait for the server to be up so that i can get back to the MINES of MORIA!!!

best regards,
    Herantonija
    champion lvl 55 -(atm)
    [center] [color=yellow]Herantonija [/color] [color=green] (Class: Champion | Server: Brandywine) [/color] [/center]
    [color=purple] Professions (includes alts): [/color] [color=orange] Blacksmith, Tailor, Weaponsmith, jeweller and scholar [/color]

Since I'm the one who started the thread, maybe you will join me with buying houses at 2 Chestnut Street, Iscomb, Bree Land Homesteads, Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by SvetPandaren View Post
    Since I'm the one who started the thread, maybe you will join me with buying houses at 2 Chestnut Street, Iscomb, Bree Land Homesteads, Landroval
    Why would he do that when everyone knows ... all the cool kids hang out in Swerbrey.

bree land homestead

Quote Originally Posted by SvetPandaren View Post
    Great! Thank you SvetPandaren. But maybe others will join you, because I have already decided that i will not buy a home in the breelands. I have put some thought into doing a few things differently, about housing, this time around. Firstly I want a deluxe house this time around not a shack. This will take me some time to save up. Finally i want a place that does not look like a stone and straw hut . I dont remember the other homesteads so that I will have to tour the other homesteads to figure out which one i like. But i definitely am looking for something other than the bree homesteads. I think i will most likely buy a deluxe home in the shire. I think that last time i played this game the shire was so popular that all the homes there were sold out and i could not buy a home there.

best regards,
    Henartonija
    lvl 55 champion
    Last edited by mjollnar; Jun 26 2014 at 01:15 PM.
    [center] [color=yellow]Herantonija [/color] [color=green] (Class: Champion | Server: Brandywine) [/color] [/center]
    [color=purple] Professions (includes alts): [/color] [color=orange] Blacksmith, Tailor, Weaponsmith, jeweller and scholar [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by iarlnir View Post
    I'd played on Landroval for 5 years, and then after taking a year off this past year and coming back about a month ago I was shocked to find just how much the Landroval server had declined in terms of population, and in terms of the community as a whole. Sure the whole Weatherstock thing still goes on, but that will always happen no matter what. But all the infamous regulars in glff and in the moors are now pretty much gone. The big raiding kins from yesterday that ran decent group content are pretty much all gone. In the meantime, I've packed up and transferred to Brandywine and am having a great time. Sure, there is no RP, but there is a ton of grouping opportunities all of the time, glff is always hopping (that sometimes is a bad thing hehe), and there are a ton of kins running content. Its like night and day compared to Landroval.
    Some major players on my server have packed up and moved to Brandywine, too. It has taken a toll on many others on my server, as this is yet another sign that our server is going downhill. The only place you can find more than ten players at once is Bree .. all other areas are sparse numbers, at best. I remember when Twenty First Hall was *the* place to be .. people gathered all around to show off their outfits, their skills, sparring and waiting on group formation. There has been no place for community gathering like Twenty First Hall was back when 65 was level cap. It would seem 95's flock to Bree now and I don't quite know what to think of this.

My greatest fear is that most transfers are going to places like Brandywine and the reality is that the several hundred on that server is THE most populated .. and I don't know how this game can sustain itself if most servers are dying and our only hope still reflects a sad number of players on just a few servers.

I can tell in the tone of the devs and Turbine employees who speak on this forum that even they are becoming agitated by the doom and gloom .. but they know this game is dropping in players.

As Sapience recently said, this game is their livelihood. As much as the dwindling player base is affecting us, imagine how it is affecting them.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001e93fa/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by mjollnar View Post
    After playing a few different MMO's over the years, I realized that LOTRO is the best mmo ever made.
    This is why so many are expressing such negativity. It is a game we all love so much and it possesses more potential than is currently being reflected. I have no doubt that the devs are doing absolutely everything they can with what they have to work with. The question continues to be "will it be enough to bring this game back to life"?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001e93fa/01004/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by oldrat View Post
    This is why so many are expressing such negativity. It is a game we all love so much and it possesses more potential than is currently being reflected. I have no doubt that the devs are doing absolutely everything they can with what they have to work with. The question continues to be "will it be enough to bring this game back to life"?
    My thoughts exactly. I think that the potential to make a comeback in player base is here. The dev's marketing team can do it by acting on the current momentum of the next hobbit film which is due out by the end of this year. What they could do is pay for movie theater commercials when that film airs. Other marketing strategies include lotro advertisements on google search and youtube whenever searches for 'the hobbit' or 'lord of the rings' movie trailers or books information is requested. Another marketing strategy would be to include a large brochure in every LOTR or Hobbit dvd sold. Those are all the ideas that currently came to my mind

best regards,
    Herantonija
    lvl 55 champion

Quote Originally Posted by iarlnir View Post
    I'd played on Landroval for 5 years, and then after taking a year off this past year and coming back about a month ago I was shocked to find just how much the Landroval server had declined in terms of population, and in terms of the community as a whole. Sure the whole Weatherstock thing still goes on, but that will always happen no matter what. But all the infamous regulars in glff and in the moors are now pretty much gone. The big raiding kins from yesterday that ran decent group content are pretty much all gone. In the meantime, I've packed up and transferred to Brandywine and am having a great time. Sure, there is no RP, but there is a ton of grouping opportunities all of the time, glff is always hopping (that sometimes is a bad thing hehe), and there are a ton of kins running content. Its like night and day compared to Landroval.
    People say Landroval has declined, but I started playing there 6 years ago. After the Lonelands, I almost literally never saw anyone. People on their free trial (as it was sub back then) had it run out (it was 2 weeks, I think) and all the sub players were in Angmar, I guess.

Anyway, while it's certainly true that marketing could be better, what happens when new players actually do start playing? They pretty much get ignored by all the existing players. I've seen it in a lot of games, constant complaints about the lack of new players, but what are you doing to welcome new players to the game? Are you hanging around low level areas befriending and helping them? No. No one ever seems to want to do that. At least not in this game, which has to be the most insular community I've ever seen.

New players have to be cultivated. You can't expect them to just spring up, max level, fully geared ready to group.

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    People say Landroval has declined, but I started playing there 6 years ago. After the Lonelands, I almost literally never saw anyone. People on their free trial (as it was sub back then) had it run out (it was 2 weeks, I think) and all the sub players were in Angmar, I guess.

Anyway, while it's certainly true that marketing could be better, what happens when new players actually do start playing? They pretty much get ignored by all the existing players. I've seen it in a lot of games, constant complaints about the lack of new players, but what are you doing to welcome new players to the game? Are you hanging around low level areas befriending and helping them? No. No one ever seems to want to do that. At least not in this game, which has to be the most insular community I've ever seen.

New players have to be cultivated. You can't expect them to just spring up, max level, fully geared ready to group.
    Maybe there are games where people hang out in low level areas just to be friendly and help people and befriend them, but I never ran into such game. I don't expect anyone to do that when I join a game. People log in to play a game, and sometimes you befriend some of them. But players aren't customer service whose main purpose is to show new players a good time and make sure they stay around.

My kinship does visit low level areas a lot, chats with new people and offers them to join. And if someone asks for help, there are lots of helpful people. But people are still here to play a game. They have limited time to play. I think it's not realistic to say that the community is to blame because they don't hang around in low level areas and befriend new players.

In general, my impression of Lotro community is that's it's very welcoming.

It's just kind of hard to find that community sometimes. I started on Gladden. The server was half dead, I didn't see any other people. No global chat. 5 or 6 chat channels, all of them dead. At first, I thought the game was dead. But then I decided to check google and found glff that way, then I found a kinship on glff, and then I finally felt like I was playing an MMO instead of a single player game. Eventually I found and moved to a bigger server too, which improved my Lotro experience even more.

The game is old, it doesn't stand out today, and there are some issues. Tolkien IP still attracts some new players, and there will be a world chat soon. Maybe that will help a little. But in general, it is what it is. With no significant investment into the game, population will keep declining.

By the way, this thread has nothing to do with "Forums, Lottery, & Community Site Discussion." So if it had to be moved, there must be more suitable subforum than this.

I'm not sure that housing was all that great at the start - it had potential though.

My first house was in TH so I could be near the crafting forges there. I don't think I saw any one in TH housing area after the first or second week housing started up although all the houses were "taken".

As others noted once the foreclosures happened all those houses became vacant. My house layer in Bree has nothing but for sale signs and the same in TH. Once in a while I see a new owner move in and then move out.... I acquired one of my kinship houses from the last standing member of a kinship that was dead and I bought it for the cost of the kinship house.

For a while I was in a music band and we did some practicing at the Shire stage in the housing area but that was the last time I saw anyone near any of the housing stages.

I bought a house in Bree and selected the one with the gazebo and at night, the night-watch patrol throws a party there. At least I don't feel completely home alone.

Again even at the beginning housing wasn't so good. We eventually got vendors with discounts (those health pots where expensive in the early days) and vault a Skirm Capt and Skirm Trainer but the venue just flopped.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

huge rant removed cause I like the new content.
    Last edited by TouTheou; Jul 17 2014 at 05:46 AM.
    Angarain Erain Kinship, Vilya
    Mikros 100 Guard, Chumli 100 hunter, Oggo 75? burg, Wasape 100 beorning (and a bunch of other alts and creep-side toons)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2