We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there a decrease of the LOTRO Community?

Greetings,

I've been playing LOTRO for some time, after a long break... and I noticed a lot of things.

1. My neighbours... They disappeared. Suddenly it turned out I'm only one out of two people in my neighbourhood, and the only other person currently living in my area (Bree-lands homestead) is in the opposite end of the map... I've never felt so lonely in-game around my house. My neighbor next to me was so cool, he had a chicken coop and all the cool stuff you can find in a house... now he's gone. Gone, gone, gone.

2. My kin - we have at best 6-7 players during the evenings, and most of them are above level80s (mainly 95s). I don't see new players walking around, asking for help. I don't see an influx of newbies.

3. The total population - mostly in Bree, but I rarely see many people in other zones.

Currently playing on Landroval. So... is the community on the decline, or it's just my personal perception.

Your neighbours probably got killed by orcs. Or boars.
    [center]***My Real Life Warg Pack***
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0KRLgMrUIk[/url][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by SvetPandaren View Post
    Greetings,

I've been playing LOTRO for some time, after a long break... and I noticed a lot of things.

1. My neighbours... They disappeared. Suddenly it turned out I'm only one out of two people in my neighbourhood, and the only other person currently living in my area (Bree-lands homestead) is in the opposite end of the map... .
    I'm envious that you have someone else in your neighborhood.

Greetings,

1. My neighbours... They disappeared. Suddenly it turned out I'm only one out of two people in my neighbourhood, and the only other person currently living in my area (Bree-lands homestead) is in the opposite end of the map... I've never felt so lonely in-game around my house. My neighbor next to me was so cool, he had a chicken coop and all the cool stuff you can find in a house... now he's gone. Gone, gone, gone.

2. My kin - we have at best 6-7 players during the evenings, and most of them are above level80s (mainly 95s). I don't see new players walking around, asking for help. I don't see an influx of newbies.

3. The total population - mostly in Bree, but I rarely see many people in other zones.

Currently playing on Landroval. So... is the community on the decline, or it's just my personal perception.

I'd played on Landroval for 5 years, and then after taking a year off this past year and coming back about a month ago I was shocked to find just how much the Landroval server had declined in terms of population, and in terms of the community as a whole. Sure the whole Weatherstock thing still goes on, but that will always happen no matter what. But all the infamous regulars in glff and in the moors are now pretty much gone. The big raiding kins from yesterday that ran decent group content are pretty much all gone. In the meantime, I've packed up and transferred to Brandywine and am having a great time. Sure, there is no RP, but there is a ton of grouping opportunities all of the time, glff is always hopping (that sometimes is a bad thing hehe), and there are a ton of kins running content. Its like night and day compared to Landroval.

I think this MMO more than a lot has a lot of players that come and go and MMOs in general have fewer players over the warmer months in the northern hemisphere. Probably been influenced by some new MMOs that have come out recently. Some will more than likely return, however, I think there needs to be more emphasis on engaging activities you can do once you reach the end of the leveling cycle. Strong communities make strong MMOs and I think a lot of kins have experienced significant downturns and the population is spread over too many servers.

Withywindle is pretty empty. My kin's been thinned out.

If there weren't people I wanted to 'see' I'd probably have switched to another game. Considering all the 'scheduled' (thirty minutes before) updates and the apparent lack of interest from Turbine it's a wonder there are so many people left. So congratulations, everyone who ever told those complaining (however politely) about something in the game to go and find another one, you're getting your wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Maugris_de_Payan View Post
    Withywindle is pretty empty. My kin's been thinned out.

If there weren't people I wanted to 'see' I'd probably have switched to another game. Considering all the 'scheduled' (thirty minutes before) updates and the apparent lack of interest from Turbine it's a wonder there are so many people left. So congratulations, everyone who ever told those complaining (however politely) about something in the game to go and find another one, you're getting your wish.
    Is the game down AGAIN? that's pretty silly

Quote Originally Posted by Feoh View Post
    I'm envious that you have someone else in your neighborhood.
    Nobody in my neighborhood either anymore. I rode thru the entire area and I am now the only one there. My 2 accounts personal houses and my kinhouse. I sold/purchased new ones next to each other and have all 3 together now.

Quote Originally Posted by KM3161 View Post
    Nobody in my neighborhood either anymore. I rode thru the entire area and I am now the only one there. My 2 accounts personal houses and my kinhouse. I sold/purchased new ones next to each other and have all 3 together now.
    I moved into a new neighborhood oh about a year ago. It was empty for a while but now I think it's completely full. People can't play forever. Kins and guilds leave. New ones form.

Greetings,

Yes, overall population is down. Exactly how much it has been reduced is unknown, but that it is on the decline is without question.

Regarding your neighbourhood there is another factor: It used to be that you kept your house just about forever even if you were no longer playing the game. That was changed some time back so that now, if you have not paid the rent for your house for a certain time then you will lose the house. That freed up a lot of houses, and made the neighbourhoods seem a lot more empty than they used to be.

Landroval server population

hello former landroval neighbor,

I think i will be joining you in bailing on the sinking ship landroval and transferring to the nearest populated port in LOTRO.

After 7 years i finally purchased the expansion packs of moria and everything else. I then log in. Walking out of a bare and empty home in Bree it dawns on me that i am the only player in town, with a for sale sign posted in front of every single home and guild hall including mine. Realizing that I am a solitary inhabitant of an entire town, I quickly make for the mines of Moria!. I initially thought it was just the neighborhood. But then after getting to level 55 and obtaining a group quest it finally dawned on me, i was the only real human in Moria! noooooooooooo I can't find a group to do group quests.

best regards
    Herantonija
    Champion lvl 55 - (atm)
    [center] [color=yellow]Herantonija [/color] [color=green] (Class: Champion | Server: Brandywine) [/color] [/center]
    [color=purple] Professions (includes alts): [/color] [color=orange] Blacksmith, Tailor, Weaponsmith, jeweller and scholar [/color]

I am wondering, when you speak about your homestead, did you actually know all your neighbours personally?

Because I have moved around to different areas and one I stayed in for quite a while, my 'neighbours' although stated as homeowners had abandoned their homes ages ago, even before I got there.

Since lotro changed the time period of homeowners that hadn't paid the bills to be actually booted out and hence making room for new houses, now we have a lot more empty homes. This also not meaning per se that the player has left the game.

I was the owner of a street a while back, got bored of it, moved out, changed area and now have one home. Futurewise, who knows, I might just drift around homeless, ..all by all it doesn't really tell you a thing.

There are lots of new, yes brand new players on my server...people will come and go. As for the place being dead, never.

To me it seems like it has over the years. I wonder if people are getting tired of MMOs in general. For example I know I have. LOTRO is it for me after 15 years in the MMO scene. I may not be the only one.

While I agree the game has lost a significant chunk of bodies, the neighborhoods are a bad way to size the population. At the game's peak, GLFF would have 600+ people in it (on Brandywine). Last few nights its been 100-ish. Even back then, I remember the first time I saw someone in my neighborhood (a sight I had never seen at all). We startled each other. Was it a mob? was it an NPC? why was something moving around my home???? housing was storage and little else. That they evicted everyone might make it look differently, but I've still ever only seen the one person in my neighborhood... and that was during the game's prime enrollment.

Even GLFF is a bad indicator as to the population since many people will (and have) tire of the constant trolling/violations/smack talk/etc. They have found that kin chat and custom channels are a much more atmospheric and friendly place to hang out.

With no new group content promised for the entirety of the year, I suspect that we won't see a huge boost in population until endgame is given some life that more than one playstyle will enjoy. Historically, expansions/updates bring everyone out of the woodwork to try it out, but with focus having changed in the past couple of years, the woodwork is less giving.

All that said, even with the decline, the population isn't alarming IMHO (at least on the more populated servers). I've taken a few breaks, (some intentional, some incidental) and each time I return I still find the spider burrow in Bree to be a place of contention, groups are still farming the path of least resistance, and Freeps/Creeps still have plenty to argue over... all in all, its the same game

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    To me it seems like it has over the years. I wonder if people are getting tired of MMOs in general. For example I know I have. LOTRO is it for me after 15 years in the MMO scene. I may not be the only one.
    I won't go as far as to say I'll never play another MMO again but LOTRO will be the last one I invest time and money into. I hope that day is far off...still plenty of places I'd like to visit; ie Tharbad, South Farthing, Tower Hills, Grey Havens, Sea of Rhun, Far Harad and many others.

I don't think people are getting tired of MMOs in general. It is more a case of almost all player interested in playing any MMO are already doing so in combination with the fact that there are many more MMOs on the market today than there were 5 or 10 years ago.
    The result is that, apart from the initial rush when a MMO is first released, just about all MMOs suffer from decreasing populations. It is just a question of how slowly or quickly they decrease.

I think some of it may be timing. Now that a lot of players have hit cap I've noticed a tidal effect to active player base (I'm also on Landy). I seem to notice a large bump in active players during update periods, then when the players have worked through the content they take a little time off until the next update.

Bree still has activity but I'm noticing that Western Rohan seems to be the new hub. Aldburg seems to have gained more activity than Helm's Deep.

As for housing, I'm not sure I can provide much input there. I have one and I make sure I pay the upkeep, but I cannot remember the last time I've been there. There simply is no compelling reason to do so.
    [IMG]http://www.jerrywagoner.com/galrin_pal2.png[/IMG]
    [B] Level 100 Lore-Master[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by iarlnir View Post
    I'd played on Landroval for 5 years, and then after taking a year off this past year and coming back about a month ago I was shocked to find just how much the Landroval server had declined in terms of population, and in terms of the community as a whole. Sure the whole Weatherstock thing still goes on, but that will always happen no matter what. But all the infamous regulars in glff and in the moors are now pretty much gone. The big raiding kins from yesterday that ran decent group content are pretty much all gone. In the meantime, I've packed up and transferred to Brandywine and am having a great time. Sure, there is no RP, but there is a ton of grouping opportunities all of the time, glff is always hopping (that sometimes is a bad thing hehe), and there are a ton of kins running content. Its like night and day compared to Landroval.
    That's sad to hear. Landy is the 2nd biggest US server, I thought it's still doing ok and was the one solid alternative to Brandywine.

I'll never say never, however, I have stopped playing all MMOs other than LOTRO. A lot of MMOs have claimed to be nextgen, however, they really haven't introduced anything of substance. Perhaps one will come along that will get me interested, the problem is MMO development cost is horrific, especially if you want to make a good one and the chance of being an utter flop is pretty high. Big name developers are not going to take any substantial risk with that kind of money involved. Eventually I think a small independent team will take a risk and create an interesting sandbox MMO which really pushes it in terms of next generation concepts.

I am of Elendilmir, been there pretty much since launch. My Bree neighborhood was just a bunch of locked homes and kinships. Then there was an influx of new buying after the housing update that required the owners to keep their maintenance fees up to date. Now all but a few of those homes are locked for "failure to pay".

It is sad to see but overall population of my server has without a doubt been on the decline. I use Bree as my measuring stick. At server highs there use to be close to a hundred souls present at any given time when I would pass thru Bree. That number has steadily dropped over the last couple of years. For awhile it stablized in the twenties but after the release of HD Bree has become a virtual ghost town at certain times of the day with my witnessing of fewer than ten souls going about their business in the town.

I suppose this is the nature of MMOs in general to see populations rise and fall but I suspect that overall if one could graph it Lotro's population would be on the decrease.

I have hope though, that the powers that be will not remain idle as the numbers of our friends and kinmates in the game disappear. Perhaps this is a time to regroup and recoup. The changes that came with HD (especially the new trait system) may have negatively impacted this game (hopefully temporarily and short term) but as these new changes are adapted to and become familiar I hope to see a gradual increase in new players and a return of some of the old ones. If Turbine can just focus (their seemingly declining Lotro developement budgets) on polishing the rough spots that the constant dishing out of expansions only made rougher then this game will see new life. This is my hope and my prediction. However, regardless what the future brings to Lotro I will continue to support Turbine with both my wallet and time for as long as breath is still in this game because I choose to keep my trust in Turbine's team with my seven year and going investment in their vision of JRR Tolkien's wonderous world!
    Last edited by welden; Jun 26 2014 at 10:07 AM.
    Welden of Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcrown View Post
    still plenty of places I'd like to visit; ie Tharbad, South Farthing, Tower Hills, Grey Havens, Sea of Rhun, Far Harad and many others.
    Someone after my own heart. Even if RL and other interests do pull me away from LotRO, I expect I'll maintain my account for the game as long as Turbine continues to develop it. I just don't think I could feel like I had actually completed the journey until I had followed the nasty hobbitses all the way "there and back again" over the Greyflood at Tharbad, past the amber waves of weed in the South Farthing, and on to Grey Havens. (Don't know that I'm all that interested, though, in seeing the Haradhrin lands.)

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    Someone after my own heart. Even if RL and other interests do pull me away from LotRO, I expect I'll maintain my account for the game as long as Turbine continues to develop it. I just don't think I could feel like I had actually completed the journey until I had followed the nasty hobbitses all the way "there and back again" over the Greyflood at Tharbad, past the amber waves of weed in the South Farthing, and on to Grey Havens. (Don't know that I'm all that interested, though, in seeing the Haradhrin lands.)
    I didn't even realize that parts of the Shire are still not in the game. Now I want them... Get them done, Turbine. Forget Gondor.

Yes

My Entire Kinship packed our bags and left as soon as Turbine Confirmed no new group/raid content for a VERY long time. (2015)

As Subscriber and Kin Leader that has played since near the beginning of Lotro, I have made many many Contacts and friends in similar Kinships and the general consensus is the utter disappointment in direction Turbine has moved to and it forced our hand into trying something else elsewhere.
    [[charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000001148fc/01005/signature.png]Gnoya[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Geldeger View Post
    I didn't even realize that parts of the Shire are still not in the game. Now I want them... Get them done, Turbine. Forget Gondor.
    I think the only missing part of the Shire proper is the South Farthing. Would be nice to visit, though. I'd kinda like to see the Longbottom dale where Old Toby first started planting pipeweed cultivars. On the other hand, it's likely completely infested with those charming-but-creepy hobbitses. (Orcs, I despise but understand; hobbits, though. . .just ewww. Maybe I'll be lucky and Saruman will have burned them all out before I arrive.)

I am also rather keen to see some realistic images of Gondor. The New Line films failed to deliver on that. (Really, PJ? The greatest, largest, longest-standing kingdom in all of Mankind is just one city and an unoccupied plain?)

I've been playing on Landroval since Beta. I remember back in the "old" days, yearning for someone to abandon their house in our neighborhood so I could snag it for one of my alt accounts. For the longest time, the only house of any type available in my neighborhood was a measly little shack. A single, solitary, measly little shack ... on the far side of the neighborhood ... nowhere close to the vault.

When Turbine changed its maintenance requirements to keep a house, I remember my delight when I logged in the first day after the grace period had expired to discover my neighborhood awash in a sea of "For Sale" signs. I now had several options for my third personal house ... and even sprung for a third Kinship house on the same street of all my houses.

You see, the empty houses had been "vacant" for a very long time. I can count on one hand the number of other players I've seen randomly in my neighborhood (randomly = not counting RP or Kinship events I have organized) in my seven years. Granted, Turbine never gave us a reason to loiter in the neighborhood. But, seriously, on one hand.

I don't know if server population has decreased, but I assume it has. I have no idea by how much. Most of the people I know who have left have been gone for well over a year. I can count on one hand the number of regular players (i.e., log in at least once per week) on my very long Friends List. Heck, even I don't log in every week.

TL;DR: Housing is a poor stick by which to measure server population, but, yes, people have left. I don't play enough to know if they've been replaced with new players.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast