We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Liarie, I really like the idea of setting up houses as, well, public locales - I think the Hobbit RPers were quite successful with doing that, setting up an Inn and perhaps a Museum of Maps or something of the sort?

Either way, HoF can be really great but the attendance and RP dos vary from week to week. Mostly, people are very happy for you to approach them however, so don't give up on it yet.

Laurefinde, setting up shouldn't be too hard indeed and thanks for offering to help with it - I'm wary of starting it though without the wider support of the community. I think I ought to start advertising the thread again and see what people think specifically on this subject.

So, folks of Laurelin - do we want a player-run independent forum for OOC and offline RP communication? Or do we not need it?

It certainly is not too lofty a goal and ought to be easy to accomplish, if people did want such a thing.
    Eglaniel's Roleplay Resource List
    your one-stop shop for all your roleplaying needs
    [Laurelin] Elven RP Community Feedback Thread
    is there nothing you would change?

Such a forum would only be good if you got ALL elven kinships there. Such a forum would serve as an OOC place for the elven community so without everyone and every elven kinship agreeing to be there it does not serve the community as one focal point for all.

Secondly you would then have to get every player to sign up to it and use it. This was the reason a few years ago I spoke to the Cal of the Laurelin Archives about attaching a forum there as everyone would use the same login they use for their In Character posts there. So people would be there by virtue of coming to read the Archives as they do now. But it has been agreed by the Archives Web Team of which I am now a member that they will not host it.

So in summary yes I would want one, but only one which embraces the whole elven community. I fully believe you will not get all the elven kinships to go with it or even get their members to sign up even if the leaders of such kinships did agree.

This thread is an example of what I mean. It's a community thread but all the entries are by a small group.
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar

Quote Originally Posted by Khalis_Laurelin View Post
    Such a forum would only be good if you got ALL elven kinships there. Such a forum would serve as an OOC place for the elven community so without everyone and every elven kinship agreeing to be there it does not serve the community as one focal point for all.

Secondly you would then have to get every player to sign up to it and use it. This was the reason a few years ago I spoke to the Cal of the Laurelin Archives about attaching a forum there as everyone would use the same login they use for their In Character posts there. So people would be there by virtue of coming to read the Archives as they do now. But it has been agreed by the Archives Web Team of which I am now a member that they will not host it.

So in summary yes I would want one, but only one which embraces the whole elven community. I fully believe you will not get all the elven kinships to go with it or even get their members to sign up even if the leaders of such kinships did agree.

This thread is an example of what I mean. It's a community thread but all the entries are by a small group.
    Agreed with all of the above, but as for the last point, we gotta start somewhere, Khalis.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnalee View Post
    Agreed with all of the above, but as for the last point, we gotta start somewhere, Khalis.
    You do but you need a carrot to 'want' to make people/kins join forums/channels etc. That as I see things is the critical ingredient to the recipie.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalis_Laurelin View Post
    You do but you need a carrot to 'want' to make people/kins join forums/channels etc. That as I see things is the critical ingredient to the recipie.
    And what carrot would that be, in this particular case? And if it's what you mentioned earlier - wide participation from the community - how could this be done, in your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnalee View Post
    And what carrot would that be, in this particular case? And if it's what you mentioned earlier - wide participation from the community - how could this be done, in your opinion?
    I think I have done enough talking here already really. It would be nice to hear your ideas Eglaniel, and those of any others reading this thread.

If there are many others who wish to form some kind of community then let them step forward and speak up.

Smile

Feedback Form

Character(s): I have two elven characters, but the one I'm mostly RP-ing with nowadays is ARRANWEN
    Origin: Sindar (Mirkwood)
    Home: Ered Luin
    Kinship: Order of the Divine Brew

Are you satisfied with the Elven RP Community? Why/why not? I know, I'm chiming in rather late to this discussion! But as an elven roleplayer, I guess it wouldn't hurt to voice my observations. In comparison to the hobbit and dwarf - based communities, the elven community is lacking. For instance, there is Green Dragon Friday and the bi-weekly market faire in Michel Delving, both of which are co-hosted by various hobbit and dwarven kinships. I see nothing along those lines when it comes to elven RP. I've attended the HOF event four or five times and it always seemed to be the same players interacting with their own respective kinships or groups. It never seemed to be a welcoming atmosphere to a newcomer, and I don't think I am a horrible roleplayer. Whereas in the hobbit-run events, I -always- have a good time. Even if they think my elf is a bit strange (lol!), there is sure to be a wave and many smiles.

What changes do you think would improve the Elven RP community? After reading the post of the historical divided between kinships, I'm honestly not too sure. Perhaps introduce some more events weekly or bi-weekly aside from HoF. I think the key is to keep it more light-hearted rather than lore-heavy, and to set aside individual kinship stories during the event.

What would make Elven RP more immersive to you? It would be nice if Turbine were to re-do the starting elven areas (like they did with Bree!), with a tavern or something in Celondim or Duillond! Hehe. but I doubt it would happen. It's just my wishful thinking!

What kind of events would you like to see? As I mentioned, more light-hearted events. A musical concert for instance, or a Walk to Rivendell from Celondim. And I know this may make some elven rp-ers cringe ... but make it welcome to ALL races. I realise it would break some lore, but bear in mind, this is a game, and we needn't confine ourselves so strictly. Let's show the other races that elves CAN laugh, smile, and have a good time too.

Where would you like the Elven RP hub(s) to be? Why there? Due to player level, I think the most we can hope for is an Ered Luin area, or Rivendell. I do think an elven tavern in Falathlorn would be a good idea. It could be open on certain days and hours, and a volunteer could announce when it is open by advertising on the World or various Regional channels.

Anything else? I think many folks are wary of joining yet another forum. I feel it's best to utilise and advertise via the Laurelin Archives and here on the official forums instead of starting up another forum. Kudos for starting this thread survey! I really hope something comes out of it.

Sarrawen - Champion of Rivendell / Saralinn - Captain of Gondor
    [b]Order of the Divine Brew [/b]Kinship
    Laurelin

I am very late arriving at this thread, which shows how much time I spend on Taramthir these days. There's a lot of good debate here and some fine ideas. The thread started by discussing the past and whilst that it is indeed history we need to learn from it.

I was, I think, the fourth Tur of the Laiquendi Order after Seifor left and one of the biggest challenges I found - other than the challenge every kin leader has of keeping the kin active and energised - was the intractable position between those that simply wished to RP Elves in Tokien's world and those who wished to ensure strong adherence to his writings. It is incredibly difficult to develop a kin, let alone a single community, that caters for both Open and Purist players.

In the end I think this was the downfall of the Laiquendi - I tried to be all things to all people and the compromise failed.

I don't believe either camp is wrong, it's a little like skiing and snow-boarding... both a great but they shouldn't really be on the same slope at the same time. For that reason alone I would suggest that any efforts towards a closer unification of the Elven Role-Players on Laurelin should be very clear from the offset which end of the spectrum they are aiming for and respectfully suggest that it may not be right for those from the other end.

Once you have answered that critical point then the question is, as Khalis states, one of Carrot. What can you do now that will attract others? Make no mistake - you will put in great effort and need to show strong leadership and people will still say it is wrong or not enough. You will need to have great endurance also.

I wish you the very best in your endeavours!

As for myself, the Elven RP bug has left my soul for the time being - I am having great fun PvE'ing with my wife and a few friends mixed in with the occasional Hobbit RP... now that's a stress-free existence - unless Matzo is about
    Taramthir of the Laiquendi Order
    May the Light guide your steps till next we meet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2