We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

(Epic Battles) Thoughts on the changes

General Changes

• "Enemy Archer" zone now gives an eye with a continual high damge dot that takes a % of your max morale instead of an instant kill zone on the maps.
    • Epic Battles now scale to Level 100 instead of Level 95.

I have to say I really like the Enemy Archer zone. Its a lot more helpful to us as players to have a clearer understanding of the areas in which we can get hit and die quickly in on the map. It also helps us in setting up defences as we know where we can and can't place our defences.

Helm’s Dike

• Guarding the Watchtower: placed clubs & torches in the hands of the attackers
    • Fixed “Enemy Archer” zones that were missing or badly placed
    • Powder at the Gate: attempted fix for issue where last wave of sappers would just stand still
    • Stone Obstruction: archers fire longer each time you tell them to shoot

The Stone Obstruction change to have archers fire for a longer period of time is going to be really helpful for players who are running this Solo/Duo since it was never possible to keep more than 2 archers firing at a time.

The Guarding the Watchtower change to have clubs and torches is a nice cosmetic change. Since before the only way to definitely tell the difference between the main quest and the side quest npcs where the mob names if you had those on.

Glittering Caves

• Spider boss Scrimgrit hits a little harder than before; we gave her some extra skills
    • Bombs & Bats: fixed but where killing multiple sappers at once could prevent quest from completion
    • Touched up appearance and placement of several “Enemy Archer” zones

Bombs and Bats nolonger bugging due to killing to many sappers is great to see fixed. This was an issue on a number of kill x/y side quests across all Epic Battles and each one has had this specific change need to occur in order to not bug out on people consistantly.

If Scrimgrit is going to have extra skills and be harder then the quest needs to have a longer timer. I know I still have issues as it is on live getting this quest done on time and getting anything higher than gold and its entirely due to the quest timer.

The Hornburg

• Ladders: fewer trolls and they only show up later, reduced HP of hooks by roughly 20%, slowed spawn rate of sappers coming up the ladders

This change to the Ladders quest sounds good.

Ok now for the two big issues we haven't seen make it into any builds yet...

Enemy Aggro

In a recent Live Stream we learned that it is intended to have the aggro mechanic changed so that any foe who isn't already engaged or with a task if hit first by a player will target and aggro on that player. This change has the potential to drastically change Epic Battles and make them much more enjoyable for the players. I realy hope this makes it into Update 14.

Healing Soldiers

Somewhere in the past I could have sworn I heard it mentioned that it was intended to make it so that aoe heals will be altered to apply to Soldiers/Captain/Workers just like they do in Skirmishes. I've not seen this mentioned in any release notes yet but this is a change that would be very very handy for those of us who heal. Its a royal pain to have to single target heal every soldier in the instances and hope you get all the ones that need healing before one falls. Please put in a change for this.

Platinum Rewards

A few questions about Platinum Rewards.

• Is there going to be a new Level 100 Jewelry vendor at Dol Amroth to allow people to exchange seals for Teal Class Jewelry?
    • With Update 13 we had the old gold rewards removed from the loot table and new gold rewards added for the jewelry pieces that didn't already have gold rewards. Are all of the gold jewelry drops going to be reactivated or are only certain pieces going to have the option to be obtained?

Quote Originally Posted by PKCrichton View Post
    The Stone Obstruction change to have archers fire for a longer period of time is going to be really helpful for players who are running this Solo/Duo since it was never possible to keep more than 2 archers firing at a time.
    It was not needed : asa you're >=R3, you just put barricades and you get Platinum solo all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    It was not needed : asa you're >=R3, you just put barricades and you get Platinum solo all the time...
    For those players who haven't gotten to R1 or even R3 yet so they can place and upgrade barricades its a nice change. It also gives players running the 6 man more leeway in their tasks.

Rowan is offline Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™
    Enemy Aggro

In a recent Live Stream we learned that it is intended to have the aggro mechanic changed so that any foe who isn't already engaged or with a task if hit first by a player will target and aggro on that player. This change has the potential to drastically change Epic Battles and make them much more enjoyable for the players. I realy hope this makes it into Update 14.
    I've validated that this code is in, but it's at a threshold (deal 10%-20% of the enemy's total health). If this is not working, or is not working well, please bug it.
    Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I've validated that this code is in, but it's at a threshold (deal 10%-20% of the enemy's total health). If this is not working, or is not working well, please bug it.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check this out and see what I can generate in some battles.

If Scrimgrit is going to have extra skills and be harder then the quest needs to have a longer timer. I know I still have issues as it is on live getting this quest done on time and getting anything higher than gold and its entirely due to the quest timer.
    Spider Assault has always had timing issues. I usually set up a ballista and a baricade just in case I get Cave In but if I get Spider Assault instead I don't have time to retrieve them and get back to the centre for the last wave without running into the invisible wall that appears between me and my destination (!!).

Also Spider Assault needs to start sooner and have a longer duration so you have a better chance of completing it. There's no way you can search all the cocoons without ignoring the spiders, which usually means the crystal gets some webs and you can't get platinum. Alternatively killing one spider in each wave (minimum) means you can't search all the cocoons, so unless you are exceptionally lucky you wont get any rohirrim free.

I would suggest fewer spider waves spread out more over time.
    [SIZE=3]NO SLEEP 'TILL MORDOR!![/SIZE]