We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Produktion Malphunktion is offline Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™

Open Discussion: Tell the new guy what you want, what you love and what you hate.

Since I'm new to the community, I need some guides to what you guys and gals think about the game.
    I've read a bunch of the forums, and been playing the game. I have my own ideas, and some idea of what people want, what they don't and what they seem to really like.

I won't promise anything except listening. Help me get the lay of the land here.
    Disclaimer! If I say good idea, or interesting, that is all it means, I think it's a good idea or interesting. It is not in the next release. I'm not writing up a spec on it. It's not promised for the future.
    Gamer to gamer. Let's just have a conversation about the state of the game from your point of view. Remember I'm new here, I don't know what was promised in the past, or what was flatly denied. (I do know the current EP's wishes tho).
    Here is your chance. What do you want from the World? What would help you tell your story? What would help you have more fun? What makes you batty and you wish would just disappear? (don't say rune-keepers...or hobbits.) Small things, big things, crazy things I want to hear it all.

For example there are already some things the fan base does that impresses me like the music festivals.That is so crazy unique to this game... I'd love to hear how we can help that a bit.

Maj.

I despise combat music. It totally ruins the immersion for me. That is quite possible my number one pet peeve. I hate it when I'm really enjoying the soundtrack for a zone and that damn combat music starts.

Boy did YOU just open a can of worms. :P But since you asked...

For me, I'd like to see more cosmetic items and housing items. I posted in the suggestion forums about housing wall and floor textures to make the interior of houses look like the buildings in West Rohan. I know some players want housing to open up in Rohan and other areas, but we were told it would pretty much never happen. So this would be a good middle ground. Also we have a summer welcome mat and an autumn welcome mat. I'd love to see a spring and winter one as well. And please, see if it's possible to get the Hytbold housing items fixed. Some are labeled as Large Floor when they should be Large Wall. Least last I heard they had not been fixed... Basically, just more housing stuff! I'm nuts about that. :P

I also would like to STOP seeing the tablecloth horses at festivals. Most of the time the patterns on them are nice, but I'd like to see different shapes and such for the caparison. If help is needed, hold some contests for player designed horses. Or even just for the trappings and such. I'm sure plenty of players have some good ideas.

Also, could you look into either lowering the mithril coin cost of housing storage past 75? Or at least add an option to use in-game gold?

Can something be done about Rune-Keepers and mounted combat? Mine just sucks BADLY at it. Far too squishy. Maybe just up their damage in mounted combat only? Or up the damage their skills do? Either way.

Could something be done about the range that emotes travel in chat? I have to usually move REALLY far from people to stop seeing them in chat. I know I can turn them off, but my kin has an "emote of the month" deal and when I have them turned off I miss it when kinmates emote me.

Last thing. Maybe consider adding war-steed colors (gear and coat colors) that are just single colors? The bundles are kinda pricey. I'd buy more if they came in single colors.

I think that's about it for me. I'm not big on end-game stuff like raids and dungeons. But I know other people want them so add them if enough people want it. I just don't do them. The upcoming "Hytbold 2.0" in Gondor will be enough for me. Thank you for listening. Have a good day.
    "As long as people believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Mini - 100 |Hunt - 100 |RK - 100 |LM - 100 |Cap - 92 |Champ - 100 |Burg - 100 |Beorn - 81

Focus more on end game. Improve BBs, improve mechanics, improve PvMP, and make a few new instances, and some other things.

I know that we are focusing on the story, which is a great thing, but we should not ignore or give limited attention to the other aspects. Polishing up systems like PvMP, Epic Battles, and mechanics will go a long long way. To Mordor and beyond.

Edit: Here is a suggestion that I feel would really help Epic Battles:
    add mini bosses with normal AI in group battles. If ignored by players, they would devastate the Rohirrim soldiers and maybe squishy players. A tank would need to draw its aggro and soak up damage, a dps class would have to bring it down, and a healing class would have to keep both the players and NPCs alive. This would add more coordination and give tank classes something to do. And then, you get the added thing called bosses that all the raiders love
    Last edited by Dernudan; Jun 20 2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Greetings-
    First off, welcome and thank you. You are going to get an avalanche of ideas and everything else in this thread. I will just keep it simple-
    1. Most players want more end game content. More raids please.
    2.Epic Battles are a disjointed confused mess. I don't like them but more folks might if the tutorial actually told us somthing.
    3.Better cosmetic selection especially for legendary weapons.
    4. War steed cosmetics that don't look like a table cloth.
    5. Housing updates. We have been waiting a while for that one.
    6.Improvement in PvMP. How about an all PvMP server?
    7. A housing development in Rohan. Or anywhere else.
    8. Lag. Ugh.
    9. Sell trait points in the ingame store like they sell promotion points in the ingame store.
    Lastly, make LIs upgradable. This way I dont have to junk a weapon thats past its prime.
    Thank you again for listening.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Therissa the Lore Master of All Shall Fade of Nimrodel.

Instance Cluster FTW!

Hello Produktion Malphunktion!

Firstly, welcome to the game, and thank you for this thread! Every style of gamer in an mmo (pvper, pver, roleplayer, crafter, etc.) tends to think whatever mechanic/content they enjoy most is oftentimes short changed, but I think in this case there is a very common thread amongst a broad swath of the player base: an absence of meaningful, repeatable, rewarding endgame content in the form of a traditional instance cluster. The frustrating part of this scenario is that instance clusters are seen as such a traditional aspect of mmos, that when 1) there's no cluster released with a major update/expansion (I'm looking at you Helm's Deep!), and 2) none are announced as forthcoming any time soon, there's a tendency of the player base to think that the development team is disconnected from their customers.

Now, before I go on with this train of thought, I always try to be as fair as possible in all things, and I don't intend for this post to be a bashing of the development team. Quite the contrary! As a player of LOTRO for over 5 years, this game has kept me coming back longer than any other in my gaming history: and I go all the way back to the Atari and Commodore days (I may have just aged myself). I've enjoyed countless hours in Turbine's version of Middle Earth, and I'm sure I'll be here until Mordor and beyond. But I am part of the camp that just shakes their head in confusion at the absence of what should be a staple in any mmo: challenging, repeatable, group instances.

In the past, it seems Turbine has been able to churn out both new mechanics, and add to their other content forms, without sacrificing one for the other. MoM saw legendaries AND a cluster. SoM saw skirmishes AND a cluster. And though RoI and RoR saw their clusters come late, we still got them (and with RoR another new mechanic, mounted combat). I think the commonly voiced dissatisfaction with the Helm's Deep Big Battles was that they were served as a centerpiece to the exclusion of the traditional instance cluster. I actually enjoy Big Battles, more so for their scaling mechanism: they allow me another method of leveling alts (along with skirmishes) if I feel like taking a break from the questing grind. BB's are a good side activity, but in my opinion, didn't serve well as a centerpiece, and certainly not as endgame content.

I've gladly pre-purchased every expansion prior to HD, and subbed for the multi-month plan on several occasions as well. But HD was the first expansion I passed on until I could get it for "free" at a discounted TP price. This irks me, because as a hard working person myself, I know the value in man hours that goes into producing something, and I would have loved to give "real" dollars to Turbine for HD. But, for the first time, while following HD in it's Beta phases, I couldn't justify my hard earned dollars for what I felt was a product lacking in certain areas.

So, though I applaud the LOTRO development team on trying new things (skirms, BB's, mounted combat, etc.) and giving its player base a wide range of activities, I don't think the tried and true content of mmos (namely, instance clusters) should be sacrificed in the process. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, this view is shared by a significant portion of the player base (or former player base, as we always hear of people unfortunately leaving/kinships disbanding, etc.). I think it would go far for someone on the Turbine team to openly acknowledge this dissatisfaction of a significant portion of its player base, and give us some degree of assurance that our voices are heard.

Thanks again for starting this thread. The topic alone is hopefully a sign that someone out there in Turbine land is hearing us, and listening.

Sincerely,

Sethius of Gladden

I do have a question for the two posts above. And I am asking this purely out of curiosity. I'm not trying to be rude or snooty or anything of the sort. But say they do release an instance cluster for endgame. And/Or a large raid. What are the people that don't like raiding or repeatedly running instances suppose to do? There's not much "old content" they can fall back on. Cause it's mostly instances and such. Again, I'm asking this cause I really am curious as to the answer. I'm not trying to be rude or start anything. It just seems like if you please one side, doesn't matter which, the other is going to be upset. Kinda like darned if you do, darned if you don't. :P
    "As long as people believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Mini - 100 |Hunt - 100 |RK - 100 |LM - 100 |Cap - 92 |Champ - 100 |Burg - 100 |Beorn - 81

Love: 1-60 content. It had non-linnear style questing (multiple zones for leveling, quests not gated by the epic quest like in Helm's Deep). It also had instances.
    And I prefered that style of graphics. It was a simple style, less detailed, but it looks better IMO.

Hate
    : Mounted combat. Lag issues.

Dev time being spent on gimmicks like chicken hockey while actual content updates could use more work.

New zones being much more taxing on PC. All game areas should have similar system requirements.

The fact that new players get funneled into smallest servers via recommended server system, only to find out how small the server is months later, and then they leave or post angry forum posts.

All the grindy mechanics everywhere. Sometimes I feel like I'm in one of the Korean grind based mmos rather than an American one.

Want to see: More 1-60 style content, less mounted combat quests, something to be done about dwindling server populations.

Return to the older graphical style... I can see that this new Rohan graphical style (all these details, detailed npc faces) probably require more work to create. But it still looks poor compared to newer games, and I much prefer the traditional Lotro style. That's one area where I suspect you guys could save some development time and money and end up with a better looking, better performing (on customer PCs) product.

Also, since it seems that instances are off the table, judging by official statements, I would at least like to see some reason for people to run a bigger variety of instances. Not just Sambrog, Thadur, School, Libary, a few skirmishes, BG, Thorog over and over. But there are lots of instances that are rarely run, like Sari Surma, Stoneheight, Lost Temple, Dungeons of DG, Glinghant, Halls of Night and so on.
    I'm sure devs could come up with some easy solution / reward that would encourage people to visit these places more often. Like some daily quest with a very significant reward.

Scaling more old instances would be welcome too. Although I imagine that might be off the table as well.
    Last edited by Geldeger; Jun 20 2014 at 09:53 PM.

Give the minstrels some love by working on balancing our stats and damage. We're fast becoming the wall-flowers at the balancing ball. I've heard rumors of a strike by the minstrels' union if something isn't done soon, which might make music nights at the Prancing Pony a little dull.

I'm with Amariel28 on the tablecloths. Get them off the horses and onto the feast tables (or give us picnic blankets and a picnic emote!). We know the artists are capable of so much more (i.e., the Steed of Rivendell's amazing armour). Let's see what they can do with a festival caparison. Also, ix-nay on the obes-ray and unics-tay as the sole options for festival cosmetics. They look great on the male characters, but the ladies are swallowed up in them. Same with hauberks. No one said battle and fashion were mutually exclusive.

Fix the reaction sounds to the kiss emote and Saffron's kiss. The second audio tracks (the reactions of the kisser) disappeared sometime around one of the post-HD patches. Kisses should knock someone's socks off, not inspire yawns.

Mounted combat: someone crossed the war-steeds with the teacup ride at Disney World. Uncross them--immediately if not sooner. When you're /following a mob and you kill them, the war-steed spins in place until I can react and move him forward. I don't want my war-steed spinning. This is battle, not a reining competition. He should never, ever do so on his own. A 180 to change directions and go after a new target--fine...a stationary 3600--Dramamine becomes a required potion in inventory. And let me tell you--that's in extremely short supply in Rohan.

I'm with Amariel28 on war-steed dyes as well. At the very least, make it possible to buy single use cosmetics pots in-game for gold from scholars. Maybe turn their dye recipes into multi-use ones for player cosmetics or war-steed cosmetics. After all, the war-steed gear is made of the same metals, fabrics, and leathers as our armour. Also, make single colors of war-steed coat color and mane/tail colors available in store.

And lastly...even I am ready to see Eastemnet resources and crafting items get icons of their very own--and goodness knows I've been very vocal in preaching patience on this front. Those poor items have suffered identity crises long enough. They'll be in therapy for years as it is.

*Yields the balance of her remaining time to the next poster*

In front of puter. Thanks, online games. :P
    Moar HOUSING!
    Moar COSMETICS! (Especially heavy armour pieces plz)
    Lower prices for war-steeds.
    As Nymphonic kinda sorta mentioned, a way to turn off *only* the combat music.

And I can't say "less hobbitses" so I will say MOAR DWARVES!
    Crickhollow---Citridyla, Ythrondis, and Hraf. Meneldor--Dockerson, Kariadriel and Thasgar. Gladden--Gamoskorin, Henessy, and Lanthreldras. Firefoot--Amberson and Liedvar. Brandywine--Audny, Egilwine, and Gardihauk. I'm an altoholic, pie-eating fool! :)

Hate:
    The LI system, and having to throw out all the work and effort each time the level cap changes. This item impacts the character as much as the trait points do, yet requires the most amount of effort on the part of the player, with none of that effort carrying forward in a meaningful way come the next level cap.

Things I'd like to see:
    A mechanic to increase required level for an LI (or outright scale it). Maybe have an essence stat that gives it potency with a "frame" that's either first age, second age, or third age?

An ability to remove a legacy from an LI, so we can salvage a potentially bad first age roll, or increase the number of major legacies on the LI without needing to start from scratch.

Monster Player storage, so I can quickly and easily get items from one creep to another, rather than needing to transfer it through a third creep.

All of the rep horses also grant a warsteed skin. The cosmetic system is one of the best amongst the MMOs, yet you aren't playing to the strength as well as you should be doing.

Raid content - raiders help keep the population big, and with many experienced raiders, combined with the scaling content, means that PUG groups can revist old content and work on deeds once the characters have gained more power.

Better PvMP contet - like raiding, PvMP is something to do when you're bored, and is an aspect of the game that has been neglected for far too long. PvMP is another way to help retain players, provided it's interesting (and balanced) well enough that players can enjoy it.

Welcome.

What I want:
    -New Endgame Group Content. I can't emphasize it enough. I've been watching the "raiding" population dwindle for too long because we would like to have something new to play with. I can't even get 6mans together in my kin anymore and we were doing T2 raids this time last year. So, something new for us to play in.

-Loot Revamp. On top of wanting new instances to play in, another reason instances don't get run as much as they used to is undesirable loot and a horrifically unfair RNG. Some sort of progression system would be so nice to have, where I know that if I put in this much effort or run this instance, the reward WILL be this. Not maybe. Like with the recent Elder King symbols thing. One of my kinnies got 10 of those in very short order, courtesy of the RNG. Others never got any, which shocked the people that got a bunch. It happens. The RNG is very unforgiving and really needs some sort of retooling.

-Something new for Kinships. Currently there's not much advantage to being in a kin. If I want to chat with my friends, we can just set up a player-created channel. I know it's been mentioned that this is being looked at. I'm hoping more than a cursory glance is taken, though.

-Less grindy LIs. I hate level cap raises because I know what that means for my current LIs, regardless of age. They don't exactly feel legendary because of this. With the cap only going up 5 levels with this next update, I may not touch my current LIs at all. But I would much rather see some sort of upgradability. I don't mind putting effort into upgrading my stuff. But starting over each time new ones come out, and being at the mercy of the RNG for a decent roll (passives) stinks.

-A reason to subscribe. I lost interest in the Moors for multiple reasons, so that isn't a draw for me anymore. I stopped subscribing when HD came out, when I'd been VIP since I first started playing. The new mail system is a neat little perk, but it was not enough to bring me back to subscriber status.

-A new horse design that doesn't incorporate a tablecloth would be neat. Yeah yeah, looks better on warsteed, I know. I want to see the horse. Not grandma's couch.

-An ultra-hairy foot cosmetic for hobbits. The dwarves get the bare-chested thing and that's fun, now I want hobbits with brillo pads on their feet.

-Resource-hogging detail in the newer areas. I can ride through most of the game , all settings turned up to max, everything's great. And btw, the older areas of the game are very nice in detail. They look pretty good as is. As soon as I hit Great River - that's when it starts.

What I DON'T want:
    -More grindy quest areas. Entwood was the single most boring thing I've seen in a video game in a very long time. The quests being spread out over an extended period of time, often with very little reward to show for our perseverance, was not fun. The rewards cost far too much for too little overall gain. Wildermore, which was a nightmarish grind in its own right, looks like Disneyworld in comparison.

Hate Balance Changes

* I am loathing the balance changes while before enenies were a challenge now almost every situation where this is more than one enemy NPC at a time makes them epically difficult. On my 83 hunter I cannot even complete the thornhope instance as the reeve and his compainon die before I can clear the mods this is with SA weps and 80 jewels and armour.

* What I would like to see is FAs made easier to get for players who do not have the time to invest in raiding like a mad man to get the symbols, maybe another path to earning the symbol that is more PvE based. Whatever that may be.

* Moddable weapons like in SWTOR if you get a weapon and like its look you should be able to mod it so that you can keep that same one if you like it.

* Goes along with the above but moddable armour as well.

* New weapons like the sword Noriel carries in the Thinglad area, some cooler looking weapons, maybe a "designer" so that players could design their own weapons to a point.

* A eagle mount

* Better cosmetics for the various classes

* A lonely mountain PvE area.

* The HD battles revamped for solo players so that it is not so difficult on solo mode.

* Make crafting relics for war steeds easier.

* Last but not least, server merges, the population on some servers is getting so low that it is hard to find a good kin/group. I think this would benefit the players of some servers greatly.

The difficulty is great where it is. Given server pops, I enjoy being able to succeed at T1 6-mans with only 3 or 4 (depending on mechanics of a particular dungeon such as Uru).

Please scale all the instances and provide a token-based (not RNG-based) reward system for those who run the dungeons. Tokens could be bartered for great new cosmetic sets unobtainable elsewhere, as well as themed armor sets with level-appropriate bonuses scaled to the level they're run at. Since loot is being revamped for Essences anyway, this is a great time to fix the terrible RNG based loot system.

Revamp instance finder and give people a compelling reason to group with others, but don't force grouping on those who don't want it. The instance finder should be a friendly, happy app within the game that unlocks the dungeons of lotro for the player and introduces them to fellow instance runners on the server. Like skirmishing, there should be a 20-to-cap instance path for leveling, repeating the same instances no more than 4-6 times before moving on to the next.

Open up the loot tables and let players have some fun and reward for their effort. I'm talking even T1 instance runners should eventually get First Age symbols if they save enough tokens. Obviously raiders and progression-based players should get better loot faster for their efforts, but just let everyone experience the joy of the best loot if they put in the time to earn it. This can be the psychological "carrot" to get players back into grouping... first age stuff can be bartered for instance tokens (seals, whatever) but raids, T2 and T3 bring faster rewards. Yet if someone really just wants to run Grand Stair all day, they can eventually have their 60FA too. Each instance cluster gets its own unique bartered set (dyeable please!) of cosmetic-only gear too.

Revamp Epic battles so AoE healing, CC, and aggro mechanics work as they do elsewhere in the world. Bring back the feel of playing our chosen classes in the epics. Make Vanguard meaningful as a solo option if possible. Personally I think epic battles have a great deal of promise, but they need to immerse the players in both CLASS and ROLE (engy, vanguard, officer) at the same time if possible.

Please no more grindy soulless stuff like the recent Fangorn update... I haven't even the heart to take my main through it, and I worked through both Hytbold and Wildermore on her completely. This sort of content is demoralizing. We want scaled instances (all of them), scaled raids, well thought out tools for kinships and fellowship content joining. Warbands are fun, but not really the equivalent of a good instance cluster. This game really sings in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to build community when the RNG is so cruel and capricious. Players want to be rewarded for playing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtower View Post
    The difficulty is great where it is. Given server pops, I enjoy being able to succeed at T1 6-mans with only 3 or 4 (depending on mechanics of a particular dungeon such as Uru).

Please scale all the instances and provide a token-based (not RNG-based) reward system for those who run the dungeons. Tokens could be bartered for great new cosmetic sets unobtainable elsewhere, as well as themed armor sets with level-appropriate bonuses scaled to the level they're run at. Since loot is being revamped for Essences anyway, this is a great time to fix the terrible RNG based loot system.

Revamp instance finder and give people a compelling reason to group with others, but don't force grouping on those who don't want it. The instance finder should be a friendly, happy app within the game that unlocks the dungeons of lotro for the player and introduces them to fellow instance runners on the server. Like skirmishing, there should be a 20-to-cap instance path for leveling, repeating the same instances no more than 4-6 times before moving on to the next.

Open up the loot tables and let players have some fun and reward for their effort. I'm talking even T1 instance runners should eventually get First Age symbols if they save enough tokens. Obviously raiders and progression-based players should get better loot faster for their efforts, but just let everyone experience the joy of the best loot if they put in the time to earn it. This can be the psychological "carrot" to get players back into grouping... first age stuff can be bartered for instance tokens (seals, whatever) but raids, T2 and T3 bring faster rewards. Yet if someone really just wants to run Grand Stair all day, they can eventually have their 60FA too. Each instance cluster gets its own unique bartered set (dyeable please!) of cosmetic-only gear too.

Revamp Epic battles so AoE healing, CC, and aggro mechanics work as they do elsewhere in the world. Bring back the feel of playing our chosen classes in the epics. Make Vanguard meaningful as a solo option if possible. Personally I think epic battles have a great deal of promise, but they need to immerse the players in both CLASS and ROLE (engy, vanguard, officer) at the same time if possible.

Please no more grindy soulless stuff like the recent Fangorn update... I haven't even the heart to take my main through it, and I worked through both Hytbold and Wildermore on her completely. This sort of content is demoralizing. We want scaled instances (all of them), scaled raids, well thought out tools for kinships and fellowship content joining. Warbands are fun, but not really the equivalent of a good instance cluster. This game really sings in a group of 6 or more, but it's hard to build community when the RNG is so cruel and capricious. Players want to be rewarded for playing together.
    2 things with this post.
    1. Loot is getting a revamp but not the way you want it. They are keeping something similar to RNG, but that keeps track of what you have gotten as to not get the same thing over and over.
    2. Vanguard is getting a rather large buff soon. Aggro mechanics are changing so that if you deal damage to enemies before they reach their target, they will attack you.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Thank you Produktion Malphunktion for this thread!

What I love:
    - Graphical design. Very realistic, not exaggerated, not sexualized. Keep it that way!
    - Many small details and references to the world of Tolkien. Not only from LotR but als from the Silmarillion and other Tolkien-Books.
    - Roleplay friendly features like festivals, the music system and the cosmetic system.

What I hate:
    - First and foremost: the fact that "sense of accomplishment" is completely gone. (Further explained in the "What I want" part)
    - Classes are not unique any more: Everyone can do everything. Healers doing massive DPS or Supporters being unkillable tanks. I just don't feel important or special any more.
    - There is no challenging content. No new endgame raids, scaled raids can be easily undermanned even at the most challenging tier. The last classic group content (Limlight questing area and Orthanc multiboss raid) were released ~2,5 years ago.
    - The reward system (Loot) is just wrong in so many ways. It encourages brainless grind, muliboxing and bugusing. Real effort and real knowledge about the game is not rewarded. Everything is completely random -> as mentioned above: No sense of accomplishment.
    - Lag in PvMP

What I want:
    - I want a reasonable reward system. I want to get rewarded if I'm doing something outstanding that involves a lot of effort. Bring back the old loot system for instanced group content would be a first step. Different loot for T1, T2 and T2C. Unique loot for every instance.
    - I want new challenging instanced content. At the moment, some 12-man instances (skraids mostly) can be soloed on-level. Most of the "hardest" content can be easily beaten without a full group/raid. Classic roles of Tank, Support, Heal, DPS can be completely neglected. DPS-zerg down everything is the new way to win.
    - Scaled instances need to be much better balanced. E.g.: Erebor raids at level 20 are not possible to complete whereas at level 95 they are faceroll easy even at the hardest tier (shouldn't it be the other way round?).
    - I want Turbine to stop investing so many ressources in "new" and completely unbalanced stuff like MC, EBs, Trait-Trees, Scaling, Remote loot,...etc. but better stick with the old popular things like challenging multiboss raids.
    Last edited by Eruadarion; Jun 20 2014 at 11:32 PM.

I don't want to be a huge Richard here, but if you want to turn this game around, you need to take a few days for yourself and dig into these forums. This game has a LOT of issues. Some old, some new. But the fact remains there are a lot of unhappy folks here. Most just cancel their subs, leave the game and are never heard from again. There are those that voice their opinions on these forums and are silenced by the powers that be. Even though they are well written and ernest, they are critical of the way the game is being developed and because so, they are silenced. (Waves to Sapience). I'm sure I'll be one of them.

I have played since 2007. This is my 5th or so post on these forums. I have taken the odd break or so, but have been a VIP for the majority of my time here with LOTRO. I spend my time ingame, not on the forums. But after Helm's Deep, this past Christmas I cancelled my subscription. Just playing in Middle-earth is no longer enough for me. I miss the fun. I miss the group content. Remember "Fellowship of the Ring?" When did it become "Fellow of the Ring?"

I miss the days when working on rep didn't mean an exhausting several month grind. Even the festivals are a ridiculous grind now. Why does a fun festival that's only around for a few weeks need to be a grind? This baffles me. There is a serious lack of content and you guys think that by gating what paltry content you release with rep grinds players will play longer. No they won't. They'll look for other games to have actual fun in. Or maybe just quit playing MMOs in general.

And don't get me started on "Epic" Battles. There is nothing epic about them. Unless you mean the fact that I can start one, bugger off and make an epic sandwich while running one. Then you're right. I have enough time to make a killer sandwich (toasted by the way) AND grab a beer! I know you guys are stuck on these things. To me they are a cop-out for proper raids. But why not make them more raid-like by requiring a group with specialized skills? Allow the different classes to somehow affect how the battle goes. How about following through on your promises? Like revamping the housing system. I know you guys love your Turbine store. And I know a lot of people would pay for upgrades to the existing system. I'd blow TP on that for sure (but only ones I earned ingame, so you're still kinda screwed).

I was excited when I first got into beta and started my Captain. I was excited to roam Middle-earth and all that SoA had to offer. Then Moria came and I was blown away. I've enjoyed every expansion until Helm's Deep. I was dying to see Rohan, and the world builders did an amazing job. (They always do. They really are the unsung heroes of this game!). And don't get me started on Chance Thomas' work on the music. The single best thing you guys have ever done! But the new systems put into place, the lack of new raids, the continuously monotonous grinds, the class changes, etc. It was too much for me, and a lot of folks.

This game will always have it's ardent supporters. You'll know who they are because they'll be rabidly attacking my post. But the few won't pay the bills in the long run. Personally, I think it's too little too late. But I'd love to be proven wrong in this case. Good luck to you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    2 things with this post.
    1. Loot is getting a revamp but not the way you want it. They are keeping something similar to RNG, but that keeps track of what you have gotten as to not get the same thing over and over.
    2. Vanguard is getting a rather large buff soon. Aggro mechanics are changing so that if you deal damage to enemies before they reach their target, they will attack you.
    Thanks for the info, disappointing about loot but potentially hopeful on the Vanguard front. The RNG must die. We have this lovely 995TP wallet in the game, let's fill it with instance barter tokens for Gandalf's sake.

Now fix AoE healing of soldiers in Epic battles (captain, RK stone, etc)... let healers fulfill the role they picked to play for 95+ levels...

Above all I play Lotro for the lore and the people, and I appreciate everything that adds to the atmosphere.
    I like group content, but I don't care much about stats or dps, and I really couldn't tell if something is balanced or not.

This is all I was ever hoping for in this game:

- A fiddle for the music system
    - A few small housing improvements
    - That emote I suggested here

Quote Originally Posted by Produktion Malphunktion View Post
    For example there are already some things the fan base does that impresses me like the music festivals.That is so crazy unique to this game... I'd love to hear how we can help that a bit.
    I will speak to this because it's something near and dear to my heart.

a] Make some improvements to the music system.

• Offer basic instruments such as the ones we get from a bard, only with different cosmetic appearances (i.e. no need to change their functionality or animations, just their appearance). Sort of like Gleowine's harp. Offer these in the store, if need be, or in a Bree MC music shop like Lalia's. I would buy them all greedily on multiple characters.
    • Offer a greater octave range in instruments.
    • Give us a fiddle/violin, please.

b] Make it easier for lower level players, and players of all level ranges, to access some of the really amazing potential event spaces in-game. One example would be housing. Give us a summon horn outside the entrance to each housing instance, or let us buy maps directly to the door of each housing instance (i.e. right outside the Thorin's housing area, right outside the Bree housing area, etc.). Housing is a great place to host events, but it's often a pain for players to get there. And why not make it so that lower levels could visit higher level towns fairly easily via stables or maps? Sure they'd get one-shotted if they left Snowbourne, but they'd only be there for the party in the tavern, for example. I've never understood why lower levels can't go to higher level town hubs even as a visitor.

Organizing in-game events is a lot of fun. The headaches tend to happen around getting people to the event, and around layering issues. Give organizers an ability to purchase or craft invitations to their events, that come with maps to their location which are only usable during the time-frame of the event, or give them temporary summon horns they can place on the landscape near their event for a certain duration, etc. This would be really helpful. Making it easier and quicker to switch layers, without having to join a fellowship with someone on the other layer, would also be great.

With music, the system is amazing and so much fun, but as someone who makes a lot of ABCs, there are some things that could be done to make it 1,000 times better. The raid/fellowship music/say/emote bug was one such thing. Getting that fixed with U14 - that alone is going to make a MASSIVE difference to everyone who uses the music system, to RPers, etc. MASSIVE. Like, it will transform how we handle grouping up for music, etc. and literally make it possible for some people to enjoy those systems.

Examples of other things that would be similarly transformative - expanding octave range, adding another instrument, extending the range of all instruments, enabling us to play and walk at the same time, giving us (our same-old basic) instruments that have new visual appearances.

Let me ask a couple of questions.

I've seen repeatably 'end game content'. What does this mean to you? This could be a ton of different things. MMO's have dealt with this a gazillion different ways.

PvMP- do many people dabble? Yes, I can go dig up the numbers but keeping it informal, I assume there is a hardcore group that does this, but is there a casual scene? Should there be?

Going back and making scaled instances and content. Making an Epic tier for content, or scaling to level. Would the population go back and play through again?
    In that case what about Alts? I know people have invested a ton of time into their main, do most people run alts...besides mules or RP dolls? What if running an alt to cap somehow made your main better in some way?

OK no more tablecloths. I'll talk with the art guys. Personally I ride a Goat, and sometimes the Skeleton painted horse.
    Cosmetics--interesting this came up more than I expected. What do you guys and gals think of the cosmetic store (L..something) in Bree? I love that idea.I dropped 1000 shards on my first visit. "The cosmetic system is one of the best amongst the MMOs, yet you aren't playing to the strength as well as you should be doing." Noted.
    BB- got it.
    Combat music-noted.
    Better loot- Agree. I like loot too. I even like to know that I can get really good loot from this place and go for it 15 times until I get it.
    LI-I hear you. You don't want to build Sting II Electric Boogaloo, or Sting III the search for Sting.
    Dev time and gimmicks--some of those things don't take as much time as you might think. Dev's like to play around a bit too sometimes. I love things like Hobnonigans, chicken chasing and whatnot every once in a while. There is an activity in ME lore that NEEDS to be made. Diversions are fun, and absolutely part of the MMO experience.

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I will speak to this because it's something near and dear to my heart.

a] Make some improvements to the music system.

• Offer basic instruments such as the ones we get from a bard, only with different cosmetic appearances (i.e. no need to change their functionality or animations, just their appearance). Sort of like Gleowine's harp. Offer these in the store, if need be, or in a Bree MC music shop like Lalia's. I would buy them all greedily on multiple characters.
    • Offer a greater octave range in instruments.
    • Give us a fiddle/violin, please.

b] Make it easier for lower level players, and players of all level ranges, to access some of the really amazing potential event spaces in-game. One example would be housing. Give us a summon horn outside the entrance to each housing instance, or let us buy maps directly to the door of each housing instance (i.e. right outside the Thorin's housing area, right outside the Bree housing area, etc.). Housing is a great place to host events, but it's often a pain for players to get there. And why not make it so that lower levels could visit higher level towns fairly easily via stables or maps? Sure they'd get one-shotted if they left Snowbourne, but they'd only be there for the party in the tavern, for example. I've never understood why lower levels can't go to higher level town hubs even as a visitor.

Organizing in-game events is a lot of fun. The headaches tend to happen around getting people to the event, and around layering issues. Giving organizers an ability to purchase or craft invitations to their events, that come with maps that are usable during the time-frame of the event, or giving them temporary summon horns they can place on the landscape near their event for a certain duration, etc. would be really helpful too. Making it easier and quicker to switch layers, without having to join a fellowship with someone on the other layer, would also be great.

With music, the system is amazing and so much fun, but as someone who makes a lot of ABCs, there are some things that could be done to make it 1,000 times better. The raid/fellowship music/say/emote bug was one such thing. Getting that fixed with U14 - that alone is going to make a MASSIVE difference to everyone who uses the music system, to RPers, etc. MASSIVE. Like, it will transform how we handle grouping up for music, etc. and literally make it possible for some people to enjoy those systems.

Examples of other things that would be similarly transformative - expanding octave range, adding another instrument, extending the range of all instruments, enabling us to play and walk at the same time, giving us (our same-old basic) instruments that have new visual appearances.
    I'm disappointed you didn't ask for a stage with fireworks and lighting. Didn't you learn anything from Eddie Riggs in Brutal Legend? The stage man, the stage!
    Thanks for the list. I'm so amazingly impressed that this goes on...and has for years. I too play ABC's usually on that barrel outside the Prancing Pony. Mostly a couple of Zeppelin songs and the theme to Conan the Barbarian.

Thumbs up

I'm disappointed you didn't ask for a stage with fireworks and lighting. Didn't you learn anything from Eddie Riggs in Brutal Legend? The stage man, the stage!
    Thanks for the list. I'm so amazingly impressed that this goes on...and has for years. I too play ABC's usually on that barrel outside the Prancing Pony. Mostly a couple of Zeppelin songs and the theme to Conan the Barbarian.
    And I had such high hopes...... Nothing better than a half nekkid Dwarf playing Scotland the Brave on the bagpipes!

PvMP- do many people dabble? Yes, I can go dig up the numbers but keeping it informal, I assume there is a hardcore group that does this, but is there a casual scene? Should there be?
    I am a casual PvMPer, so there is at least one.

I love dabbling in monster play. It's a lot of fun and a nice change from being one of the good guys. Definitely I think there is and should be a casual PvMP scene, at least on creep-side. Freeping is harder for me to get into casually, because of the audacity barrier.

Going back and making scaled instances and content. Making an Epic tier for content, or scaling to level. Would the population go back and play through again?
    In that case what about Alts? I know people have invested a ton of time into their main, do most people run alts...besides mules or RP dolls? What if running an alt to cap somehow made your main better in some way?
    In the same way some festival quests are scaled, heck yeah, I would love to see that happen for other content - particularly landscape content. I WOULD play this a lot. A lot of my favourite content in-game is pre-50.

Alts, I am very addicted to, and I do play them. They aren't just mules. I have 14 characters on Landroval that I cycle through from time to time. I don't need them to enhance each other, personally. I like them for what they are. I don't really find that proposition all that exciting.

OK no more tablecloths. I'll talk with the art guys. Personally I ride a Goat, and sometimes the Skeleton painted horse.
    Cosmetics--interesting this came up more than I expected. What do you guys and gals think of the cosmetic store (L..something) in Bree? I love that idea.I dropped 1000 shards on my first visit. "The cosmetic system is one of the best amongst the MMOs, yet you aren't playing to the strength as well as you should be doing." Noted.
    Cosmetics - I am a huge cosmetics nut. I want more, more more. Here's what I want more of:

• More wardrobe space. Like, lots more. Even if I could buy, say, a second wardrobe and load it up. Or heck, 6 wardrobes. One for each item slot, with 150 spaces each. I would buy this. I'm not joking, although I'm probably more than a little insane.
    • More store exclusive cosmetics that are stunningly designed, not just cosmetic versions of raid gear and other pre-existing items.
    • Ability to unlock single war-steed colors, rather than having to get 3 I don't want along with the one I do want
    • MORE cosmetic outfit slots
    • Ability to rename cosmetic slots
    • Ability to share an outfit over to another alt on my account with one click

Seriously, guys - let me give you more money. Cosmetics and emotes and things like that, I am never sad to spend money on these things.

What makes you batty and you wish would just disappear?
    Not disappear completely, but the Legenday Items system needs a huge improvement. What can be improved?
    • The random factor when identifying
      There is no reason why we cannot build our Legendary Items with the legacies we previously extracted from other ones. Instead of giving us random legacies, why not just make it so that they have X number of major slots and Y number of minor slots, maintaining the random factor in the 'tier' of each legacy. We could then just fill the slots. This would be very welcome, at least by me. Also, it wouldn't hurt to allow extracted legacies to be traded / sold in the AH.

• The relic system should be revised
      We're up to tier 11 relics (correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't been on the game in some time) and this is way too much. The relic system could be consolidated into a smaller number of tiers to simplify the whole thing. Otherwise, the more we level and the more tiers we get, the more difficult it will be.

• Getting shards is a massive time sink
      Refine, refine, refine, refine. Too many requests, slow down. If you've ever needed to refine a ton of relics to build several LIs every time the level cap goes up, you understand this pain. Which leads me to....

• Combining and refining relics is very tedious
      Please, for the love of Tolkien give us a 'Refine all' and a 'Combine all' button. My wrists will thank you.

What would help you have more fun?
    Two words: less grind.

With the level cap going up, it gets grindier and grindier to have a character that's optimized and it will only get worse. The virtue system, for example, needs to be addressed. Why not copy the trait system and give us points that we can assign to whichever virtue we would like to slot? We'd still have to do deeds, but it would be a lot less painful, especially for people with many alts. *cough* Crawlers in the Trollshaws and Dragonets in Moria *cough*

Additionally, well... I'm not going to beat the dead horse of new group instanced content; that ship's already sailed to the West never to return... But! Why not toss a hint for scaling old content? ... A girl can dream.

I've seen repeatably 'end game content'. What does this mean to you? This could be a ton of different things. MMO's have dealt with this a gazillion different ways.
    Won't presume to speak for everyone, but to me and what I understand from most people making this request: End game content means some instance in which we can make use of the items / improvements we've earnt with effort.

Think of this: we get to level cap, we grind the virtues, we max out our LIs, get the teal gear, craft ourselves nice upgrades and BOOM, we have a great, optimized, maxed out character.... what for? Right now, there is no content to gear for or work for; all that effort to make your character as good as possible has no real use. Except for...

PVP is the only 'place' in the game in which people are required to put some serious effort.

As for your question, and this is from personal experience only: people take PVP very seriously. It's no wonder that those regulars in the 'moors' make an effort to have the best sets of everything available. The moors is the only true challenging content right now. And yes, I'd say there is a casual 'scene'. It wasn't strange to see groups of new people going out there -and being eaten but that's another thing entirely-. Some people never even bothered with the audacity gear and just wanted to do something different.

PvMP-Going back and making scaled instances and content. Making an Epic tier for content, or scaling to level. Would the population go back and play through again?
    I would come back, and I know most of my kin would too. We are currently waiting for the release of another game and we are all taking a hiatus from Lotro, mostly because of the lack of things to do with a group.

From what I read in the forums, most people that play this game enjoy leveling alts. I personally have some because I liked occasionally taking a break and going back to my favorite zones. However, my alts will likely never get to cap because I don't want to have to grind for too many characters.

PS. Welcome to LOTRO. I admire your enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Elemiire; Jun 21 2014 at 12:22 AM.
    And then, forever remains that change from G to E minor.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast