We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Forum name changes: did you experience these bugs?

Hey guys,

I heard that Turbine does sometimes allow and perform name changes of the forum name, however they there are inherent risks involved that they may not be able to resolve once the change is done. For example:

- Your community name will probably continue to be displayed as it is now on the Forums and/or the "My Lotro" page
    So... does that mean essentially that if "tunalove" will change their name to "Tolkienfan", their name will continue to be displayed as "tunalove", essentially making the change unsuccessful?

- Your community name will continue to be displayed as it is now on your My.Lotro Blog.
    - A community name change will most likely cause issues entering your characters in the lottery.
    - Other unforseen and anomalous issues may occur.
    I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate on these, and if these problems did occur to you if you did get your name changed.
    Eglaniel's Roleplay Resource List
    your one-stop shop for all your roleplaying needs
    [Laurelin] Elven RP Community Feedback Thread
    is there nothing you would change?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnalee View Post
    Hey guys,

I heard that Turbine does sometimes allow and perform name changes of the forum name, however they there are inherent risks involved that they may not be able to resolve once the change is done.
    To the best of my knowledge nobody has been able to get their forum name changed for several years now. Chose wisely because it it permanent. I believe the only time they ever changed names was when the name contained profanity. I suspect in most cases they banned the forum name. You could not use the web site services.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnalee View Post
    So... does that mean essentially that if "tunalove" will change their name to "Tolkienfan", their name will continue to be displayed as "tunalove", essentially making the change unsuccessful?
    On forums it would be Tolkienfan. That what Turbine changed. On other web services it would still be tunalove. Or the service would not be usable. I believe the Turbine implemented their web site services is that selecting a forum name resulted in the name being copied into a write once can never be changed field for each web site service of which the forums is one such service.

This situation of multiple copies of your user id (forum name in this case) and other information like a password is very common. So when something changes. It takes a long time (or it never happens) for all the applications to know about it. I used to work for a company must of had hundreds of copies of user id and password files. Every company facility in the world had a local copy for each application. When the system worked properly, you logged in with your global id and password, you had access to all the services you needed to get your job down world wide. When it did not work properly, you had to call USA support in California, try to get them to sort it out which sometimes took a day.

In 2013, Turbine reduced the number of services to two (forums and Lottery) by shutting down features such as MyLotro, character blogs, leadership boards, kinship page, character sheets and character logs. The Lottery went down later on last year due to the failure of the Lottery server(s). There no ETA on the return of the lottery. I do not remember how long the Lottery has been gone 9 months maybe.

In summary, if you were able to get your forum name everything would be good at the moment because the only software application that knows about and uses your forum name is the forums.

Turbine never designed into their system the ability to make a global change to your forum name. It is a painful process that has to be done manually for each application. Kind of like the company I used to work for - They designed in a global create, add and remove access rights, lock account all of which were very fast - but never put in a quick efficient update for cases like account locked for too many invalid passwords. Some when some jerk entered my password incorrectly multiple times to lock me out of the system while I was at lunch - it took an entire day to get full access again.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.