We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Red Trait Tree

Red Trait Tree

Hi guys, been a while since I posted in here! I've sort of set my champion to the side a little and had some fun making and working on a few other alts - did a little work on my LM and got him to level 32, i made a minstrel but have only done a little work and got him to level 13 and just recently I bought the warden class which i'm quite enjoying and have managed to get him to level 22.

Anyway, yesterday I decided to buy a 3rd trait tree slot so that I could have a yellow/blue and now red tree to play in.

I had about 33 trait points (maybe 1 or 2 more i can not remember) and I have made what I think to be a decent setup for now.

What I am wondering is, what is the main purpose of the tree and how does it work? I know that it focuses on single target damage but how much extra damage does it put out using the critical bonuses and things compared to the yellow tree?

I have looked at some of the moves such as devastating strike and a few others but the damage they do doesn't really seem all that great? So why is this class so great for damage?

I really like the tree though, with ability to fully restore fervour after a kill and restore morale after kills and things.

I have stayed in the red tree entirely, except for branching into the yellow tree for battle frenzy and the blue tree for the move that restores power. I think I am going to invest another 10 points in the yellow tree when I get them to get raging blade and upgrade blade skills damage also.

I will post back with my actual setup when I have logged on to my champion later!

Haven't been on much yesterday and today but just been on to do a few quests and hit over 3000 with devastating strikes?! (level 56) - it says the damage on it is only about 700 so not sure how I hit this high!

I am also noticing that sometimes my character flashes blue (just like when it flashes green when you get a morale heal). As far as I was aware, none of my moves generated power? Is anyone aware of what move or ability might cause this cause then I can spend the other 2 points from strong wind on something else

Redline is very much a Single Target line intended to be a burst DPS damage output.

Red - Single Target, Burst DPS, Faster attack speed (although it's broke still) with Critical hits more frequently
    Yellow - AoE DPS with the ability to Stun, apply bleed and rend armor on large groups of mobs
    Blue - Tankmode with survival skills, morale recovery and mob Debuff skills with slow DPS output.

Poke around in the champ threads here and you'll find plenty of information on specifics within each one.

I'm surprised at how many people will disagree with me on this subject, but I'll share which trees I think make the most sense to use at different times.

Yellow- AOE DPS. This tree works very well as a whole. If traited properly, you'll have 7 skills that do damage to 10+ targets, meaning you can pretty much AOE for every attack if you choose. I stay in yellow most times, but that's usually because I run a lot of 3 mans, 6 mans, and raids in my kin. In these instances, most of the time I'm being used to reduce the length of the run by doing damage to multiple targets. Currently, you can do similar/same single-target damage in yellow as you can in red, so there is less reason to switch to red in ST situations. But...

Red- It looks to me like Update 14 may finally get red closer to where it belongs. Currently, I only use red for boss fights where AOE can fail a challenge. I don't run Moors, but it would make sense to use red there as well. If red ends up as good after U14 as I hope, red will be more of a viable option for bosses, solo play, and some instances with smaller mobs. This tree was always supposed to do more ST damage than yellow, but Turbine hasn't really nailed this down yet.

Blue- Tanking or survivability. This also appears to be getting better with U14 as True Heroics (the only group force aggro champs have) will have it's CD reduced from 5 mins to 2 mins. I like to use a full set of Vitality jewelry and armour for blue line, but this method is less effective since they nerfed our mits. I think Turbine wants you to stay in your Might gear now (just a guess) and be a DPS tank, but this is tough as you don't have much morale in Might gear, and can't hit very hard in Vitality gear. But, you can always hybridize your gear to fit your needs. Anyway, use blue if you're having trouble staying alive or if you're tanking.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I may have worded my original post poorly by your responses.

What I was trying to get at is what specifically the red tree can do? I have played the yellow and blue tree significantly, with the yellow tree being my 'main' tree I play in and blue being where I need to solo/tank 3 mans etc.

I have now bought a 3rd trait slot and will be using it for red but I am not quite sure how this class puts out lots of damage? When I hover over the skills they don't really do high damage in comparison to skills you get in the yellow tree but those can be used to attack multiple enemies at once.

I have however seen some rather big hits which definitely exceed the number the skill says it will put out.

Which are the best skills to use in the rotation in the red line? Which put out the most damage?

Is there a skill or trait skill (the passive skill that unlocks every time you use 5 trait points in a tree) that restores power of your champion? When I kill an enemy my character flashes green as the morale is healed upon killing an enemy but sometimes it flashes blue to as if my power is being restored? I don't know how this is happening though.

I invested 2 points in the power restoring skill in the blue line but am yet to even need it as my power always seems to stay fairly high but I don't understand how this is happening?

Anyone?? I'd like to do some serious questing on my champ now so would be good to know!

Depending on how many points you've invested, you might have unlocked the 'Devastation' bonus. This bypasses 40% of a targets mitigation, which can cause a very nice increase in damage that isn't reflected on the tool tip. Additionally, I don't know if it still does, but I remember Devastating Strike used to have a bonus to increased devastating critical damage. All of which could push you up to the 3k range.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0220400000000ee86/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Okugi View Post
    Depending on how many points you've invested, you might have unlocked the 'Devastation' bonus. This bypasses 40% of a targets mitigation, which can cause a very nice increase in damage that isn't reflected on the tool tip. Additionally, I don't know if it still does, but I remember Devastating Strike used to have a bonus to increased devastating critical damage. All of which could push you up to the 3k range.
    Thanks! I've unlocked all the tier levels so I will have devastation bonus. I'll take a look more closely at the tier bonuses when I am next online.