We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Champion Disappointed in Mounted Combat

I finally got my warhorse at level 75. I've been using a light warhorse for maneuverability. So far, I'm disappointed. I was under the impression that you did a lot more damage while mounted, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Also, as a Champion, I'm used to mowing down groups of mobs. On horseback, I'm getting dismounted taking on two mobs at once. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any advice!

At the beginning, MC is very overwhelming. As soon as you get more horse levels and skill poins you'll notice the difference.

You are stronger on foot than you are on a war horse. The advantage of a war horse is the movement capability that allows you to follow an opponent around and pummel them. I recommend you use a heavy war horse not a light war horse for your Champion.

Another issue is that you lose all your foot skills. You lose all your foot traits and bonuses. Those replaced with your mounted skills, mounted bonuses and mounted traits. Since you just got your war horse - you have a level 1 war horse - which is very weak.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I've been putting points into Agility and Endurance so far. Is that the way to go?

Also, as a Champ, don't you have to be right on top of a mob to attack? How is it an advantage to be mounted??
    Last edited by Castamere2013; Jun 18 2014 at 01:59 AM.

You aren't the only one. I think more than anything, the awfulness of MC is what killed this game. (Not that it's dead, but it's clearly not what it was when Isengard came out)

Mounted combat initially looks...not friendly. I remember myself cursing it, trying to fight on foot, then trying to fight mounted...
    And finally I liked it.
    Mounted combat gives you speed which is faster than you would be walking. Speed may be important:should situatio turn grim, you would evacuate faster and survive on mount than on foot; should you hunt for hides or task items, you will be doing it much faster. Mounted combat allows auto-attacks (if you chase enemy, your toon will auto-range fire or auto-melee) if enemy is in direct sight. Some skills allows dismounting enemy, so you have the upper hand. We also have some AoE attacks - of course, not shing-shing, but still something. Mount has some skills that allows healing over time, if I remember it correctly.
    Not so bad as it may sound...

Yeah; I didn't like it when I got mine, I am a Minstrel using Light and Medium horses. After I started adding points it got better.
    Also the area where I first got my horse, Harwick is not as suited for Mounted Combat as other areas I went to later. I still have trouble if I get into a crowded confined terrain.

Basilrod
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/032020000002ed513/signature.png]Basilrod[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Basilrod View Post
    Yeah; I didn't like it when I got mine, I am a Minstrel using Light and Medium horses. After I started adding points it got better.
    Also the area where I first got my horse, Harwick is not as suited for Mounted Combat as other areas I went to later. I still have trouble if I get into a crowded confined terrain.

Basilrod
    I enjoy it with my mounted champion. Just add the /follow command, use it on a mounted mobs and you can enjoy hacking him from the side to your heart content. Unless you use forced skills, the mob will try to circle around while you are next to it, creating a feeling of blow exchanging between you and the mob.

It is also convenient to stand still and fight against the non-mounted mobs, as champion is stronger and tougher on his war-steed. I tend to fight like that unless I'm in a non MC area or the area is hard to move around on war-steed (like inside an orc's camp)

Champion is lucky than some classes as its ranged-auto attack is not too shabby, and has a ranged AoE attack that can be used depending on situation. Hunter has many ranged skills, but the class does not have any AoE attacks, while Minstrel's more powerful skills are AoE, which may cause a lot trouble when luring unwanted mobs.

Champion's recovery skills can be used actively instead of luck-based like Guardian.

In addition, Champion's attack have a better chance to dismount mounted mobs than other class, even not in Light-steed's Riddermark Discipline.

The only things that makes me displeased about Champion's MC is that two-handed weapon is a lot stronger than dual wield on war-steed. If you are a dual-weilding champion, you should have a maxed DPS 3rd 2-hand LI with the legacy +50% critical multiplier in order to hit stronger on war-steed.
    Last edited by TKH; Jun 18 2014 at 06:11 AM.
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Castamere2013 View Post
    I've been putting points into Agility and Endurance so far. Is that the way to go?
    I usually get Agi, Turn rate, and endurance maxed first, then start going into the trees. Steering improves pretty quick. Also, about your other question, you do have a shorter range on your attacks than other classes, but no. You don't have to be "right on top of them" to hit them.

In general, I've noticed that some classes seem to fit MC better than others. I wasn't terribly thrilled with my burg and champ in MC, but my warden is pretty much a beast. My wife's LM seems to be pretty beastly, too. In general, I quite enjoy it, though. Thing definitely improve after you've leveled your steed a bit.

I love MC with a Light Steed with my Champion! Yes the Heavy one is good for survivability but I found I can do more damage quicker with the light one. As the previous poster stated 'Turn Rate' is a key ability, but the most important to me is reduction of attack duration. More hits faster = more damage! I use the Emblem of the Rider and there is another relic that can reduce your attack duration. Agility helps the turn rate and is valued attribute, Endurance is nice but you can get boosts without spending precious trait points.

To the OP, be advised at lvl 75-80 it can be tough going depending on what you're fighting, equipment etc. - however by the time you're 85 you'll be bored how easy it is with the exception of some of the warbands.

TKH and Palentian made a lot of good suggestions. Here's a few more hints.

For the first 10 or so War Steed levels, collect Rohan task items and turn them in to gain steed XP at the beginning of each play session. Gets you up to level 10+ faster.

Attack from behind. The positional bonus can turn a lot of the dev crits into one hit kills and crits into 2 hit kills. The large open areas in Rohan are great for this. When I'm playing a character in these areas I will gallop across the plains rather than use stable travel between nearby towns. Attack and kill whatever's in my path. ( ...and practice manuevering, collect task items in the loot, etc.)

Orc bowling! At higher level you will be able to get the Trample skill in Heavy War Steed red line. It sends unmounted/dismounted foes flying into the air with damage for a period of time. Try to ride through an area and pull aggro on a half dozen orcs, get them all lined up running behind you, then turn and Trample through them. See if you can make all of them fly. If you hit one dead center with a regular skill while in trample, he will fly straight in your path and you can hit him again with another skill.

Have fun!
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Just add the /follow command,
    I didn't know you could /follow mobs?!?!?! That would make things MUCH easier on my Cappy.

But to answer the OP's post. I've got a Hunter and a Captain on MC right now and most of the posters are correct. The closer to 77 you get in points things get MUCH easier. I would spend 50/50 on skills/attributes until the skill tree is full then all in on attributes.

My hunter is a blast to play on MC but I dread it on my Captain. I don't think some classes were meant to be in MC.

You can even keybind a hotkey combo to follow your targeted mob.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll stick with it. Is there ever a time when you're primarily on foot again?

Quote Originally Posted by Castamere2013 View Post
    Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll stick with it. Is there ever a time when you're primarily on foot again?
    Whenever you are in very congested terrain, being mounted does not do much for you. There are a number of places where your mounted skills are disabled. You have to dismount. The obvious issue of inside or underground areas.

The biggest problem in a congested terrain like a camp when you are mounted is keeping from charging around and alerting the entire camp to your presence.

I've found the auto slow feature very useful.

There is a trait for heavy war horses that includes a big damage bonus when fighting foot mobs. The damage bonus and survivability is the reason I like a heavy for my Champion. I do not need the speed because mounted mobs can't get away from a Champion. You use the follow command. There is a mounted skill that forces your opponent to ride beside while you beat the snot out of them.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

When mounted combat first came out warhorses were very difficult to control with any sort of accuracy. This has been improved a LOT since those days. It takes practice (as it should) to ride well. However the damage done on mounted combat for all classes has been quite significantly nerfed since those days and it's no longer the entertaining system it once was. Personally, unless I'm fighting mounted enemies, I can kill mobs much quicker by getting off the horse. In East Rohan and Wildermore, grouping for warbands was quite common; in West Rohan, groups are non-existant.

I hate riding the war horse! Feels like riding on slippery ice. And I have tried to put everything I can into agility and being able to maneuver. End result for me was to have my characters with it just gather resources and fight mobs on foot.

Oh, and to not bother with content past the first areas of Rohan, instead playing my lower levels where the game is more fun.
    Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

I don't like Mounted Combat as well... my warsteed by now has levelled up and a lot of skills, but still I don't like it. It's too fast for me, I prefer a more stationary approach in playing.
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    I love MC with a Light Steed with my Champion! Yes the Heavy one is good for survivability but I found I can do more damage quicker with the light one. As the previous poster stated 'Turn Rate' is a key ability, but the most important to me is reduction of attack duration. More hits faster = more damage! I use the Emblem of the Rider and there is another relic that can reduce your attack duration. Agility helps the turn rate and is valued attribute, Endurance is nice but you can get boosts without spending precious trait points.

To the OP, be advised at lvl 75-80 it can be tough going depending on what you're fighting, equipment etc. - however by the time you're 85 you'll be bored how easy it is with the exception of some of the warbands.
    I noticed that about the level range, too, though in my case it was more:
    Take a 3 yr break after Isen. Return and get med warhorse at lvl 75 (for minstrel--sorry for off-topic).
    Absolutely hate it.
    Go explore Great River quests to level more gently and build up rep.
    Come back to Harwick area at level 85.
    Be semi-bored and make the poor green warbands' short lives a waking nightmare.
    Discover my warhorse actually can maneuver and fight better at 15 than it did at 1.

I was so deeply disappointed in MC though... I hope not too many 85-100 skirms/BBs/epics/etc. require mounted combat.
    [color=SeaGreen]Lindiriel Ilmaren (100 Elf Minstrel R7)[/color] ~ [color=SlateBlue]Mysthryl Nightshade (74 Woman Burglar)[/color][color=RosyBrown]Nomiel Eldila (66 Elf Lore-Master)[/color][b]~{Nimrodel}~[/b]