We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Lack of groups

Quote Originally Posted by Whart View Post
    So given that you don't want a small number of people from a server with few players to join you via a merger, do you also not want them to join you by transferring or by rerolling? Do you also not want Nimrodel ever to be the recommended server, since that would draw new people there?

Just trying to understand. I get that there are advantages and disadvantages to any server size, and I also understand the house and name problems that mergers would cause. But players have no control over server population. Any given server at any time could have a large influx or large decrease in population (yes, increases are less likely these days, but all servers have increased and decreased over the years). I've seen lots of posts where you say you like everything on Nimrodel exactly the way it is and you don't want anything to change, but it has changed a lot over the years, and will continue to do so. Are you really saying you hope nobody new comes to your server? Will you still love this game so much if you log on and never see another player? And that it doesn't matter to you that there are people there (forming part of that great Nimrodel community) who are leaving the game because they can't find enough people to play with? Surely you understand how people are feeling who came for a group experience, used to have a satisfying one, and now are faced with reroll or leave. When they choose to leave, that affects the experience of everyone else who enjoys interacting with other players, whether via groups or RP or AH or PvMP, doesn't it?

That's a lot of questions, but I'm the curious sort.
    I'm against mergers, but have no problem with transfers or large numbers of new players. The main problem I see with mergers is one I have never seen mentioned in this forum. (not that it hasn't been, I just haven't seen it) What happens if someone has full accounts on 2 servers that merge? He/she has twice the number of characters allowed for that account. What if they love all their characters? They've been playing all of them for years? How do they choose who to keep and who to throw away?
    It's not right, it's not fair, and it should not happen. I was in this situation with the first MMO I played. It drove me away from the game entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaxie View Post
    I'm against mergers, but have no problem with transfers or large numbers of new players. The main problem I see with mergers is one I have never seen mentioned in this forum. (not that it hasn't been, I just haven't seen it) What happens if someone has full accounts on 2 servers that merge? He/she has twice the number of characters allowed for that account. What if they love all their characters? They've been playing all of them for years? How do they choose who to keep and who to throw away?
    It's not right, it's not fair, and it should not happen. I was in this situation with the first MMO I played. It drove me away from the game entirely.
    If Gladden was merged this would happen for me on 2 accounts. I have 14 characters on my main account on Gladden, but I also have 6 on Elendilmir (if that was the combination). I have some on Crickhollow and Riddermark. Another account is full with 8 on Gladden and several on other servers.

I don't have problems with people transferring in and out, or large numbers starting characters on my servers. The ones who start characters either don't last til end-game because they're transients or they integrate themselves into the community by the time they get there and are familiar faces. The ones that transfer in even at level cap don't overwhelm the already establish community by outnumbering them and changing the dynamics already in place. Because there's only a few at any one time they also become integrated in their own way.

I think giving away server transfers for free would not only be a bad business plan but it would be bad for the game. Now you'll have people hopping around every week or two on a whim. Servers would become like tourist towns with people transferring for a week or two, then transferring somewhere else to sight see.

If I had to choose a way to make grouping easier for people without the rest of the issues I'd suggest a cross-world instance finder and/or putting yourself in a "looking for team" "/lft insertdungeonhere" status where you're flagged for cross-world grouping for a specific or random instance/raid. Is it possible or practical? Dunno. But it would allow groups without forcing mergers.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    If Gladden was merged this would happen for me on 2 accounts. I have 14 characters on my main account on Gladden, but I also have 6 on Elendilmir (if that was the combination). I have some on Crickhollow and Riddermark. Another account is full with 8 on Gladden and several on other servers.

I don't have problems with people transferring in and out, or large numbers starting characters on my servers. The ones who start characters either don't last til end-game because they're transients or they integrate themselves into the community by the time they get there and are familiar faces. The ones that transfer in even at level cap don't overwhelm the already establish community by outnumbering them and changing the dynamics already in place. Because there's only a few at any one time they also become integrated in their own way.

I think giving away server transfers for free would not only be a bad business plan but it would be bad for the game. Now you'll have people hopping around every week or two on a whim. Servers would become like tourist towns with people transferring for a week or two, then transferring somewhere else to sight see.

If I had to choose a way to make grouping easier for people without the rest of the issues I'd suggest a cross-world instance finder and/or putting yourself in a "looking for team" "/lft insertdungeonhere" status where you're flagged for cross-world grouping for a specific or random instance/raid. Is it possible or practical? Dunno. But it would allow groups without forcing mergers.
    But the same old problem still applies to whatever solution is mentioned:

The numbers of people wanting to group has nose-dived due to the lack of NEW challenging group content (i dont count big battles) and wont change as i think this is what turbine wanted all along....they can now produce easier/cheaper content aimed at facerollers who store-buy everything.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoomonkeyuk View Post
    But the same old problem still applies to whatever solution is mentioned:

The numbers of people wanting to group has nose-dived due to the lack of NEW challenging group content (i dont count big battles) .....
    I completely agree with this statement. Couldn't agree more, in fact.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    What do you think is the likelihood that these things that could be done, will be done? Or what do you think is the potential investment requirement to get these other things done compared to server mergers or free xfers?

Not asking this in the sense of 'insider PC knowledge', but your face value opinion. Do you see a track record established that turbine is prepared to make the necessary moves to encourage grouping?
    Just based on face value... the things coming with Update 14 would be a good place to start. There are a host of things in that update which (I think) demonstrates a shift in a positive direction.

Big Battle improvements, a new Limlight Gorge type area, new "essence" armor which looks like something raiders will enjoy collecting, several "quality of life" improvements to areas of the game that (while minor) will be very helpful... just to name a few.

Not to mention that Update 14 includes 3 new regions... not just 1... and the price is (IMHO) pretty cheap for what they are including.

Beyond that (at the risk of perking up some ears) I'll have to plead the NDA and let Rowan/Sapience let the public in on any plans when they decide the time is right.
    Dagranhad - Burglar | Aldgarea - Loremaster | Barathrothir - Hunter | Golladhar - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrossbow View Post
    ... new "essence" armor which looks like something raiders will enjoy collecting...
    Not unless there is also a raid to enjoy using them in.
    Council Of The West On Snowbourn

Runesi lvl 100 Rune Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Linnier View Post
    Time to address the elephant in the room, Turbine. Something needs done to fix the serious lack of group on servers now, seriously you can sit LFG for an hour plus before you ever get a group formed; sometimes you never get a group...

Any chance of this being addressed and resolved or is it just time to move to a game with a more thriving community. I mean seriously I can not imagine it would be too difficult to implement a cross server grouping platform.

Well my friend welcome to LOTRO this has been the downturn trend the lack of new player and very low server population it been causing this. It started about 2.5 years ago and just get worse every year since. U may not want to ask them for help last time they were helping they thought is best to make the game so easy that a 2 year old could sole everything. now they seen this did not work so good and so now they are attempting to rebalance again and make the game harder. I am guessing they think if the content gets harder folk will start grouping again.

My answer has been to make a kin and look for folks that like to group and do the content our way we are hoping a group of like minded players will be the answer but to tell truth the game is going to get much harder before grouping will get better.

The other thing that don't help is letting 95 and 2 other run thru a raid dragging i or 2 lowbies thru many times even multiboxing alt or 2. The have removed a good bit of group content as well in line with their old plan so the game is a mess also right now the treasure hunt is on keeping some folk's attention on that for a bit amd its summer the slow season as many want to get outside not sit inside so server pop is at its worst
    Last edited by Fearless.one; Jun 22 2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    So basically, like the game has been ever since I started playing back in July of 2008? (On Landroval no less)

I remember waiting hours trying to get a group for the great barrow instances. And I remember waiting hours getting groups to run the book quests. The last time I grouped was at the very first part of the lonelands, back when you needed other people to kill the spiders in the trenches.

Part of the problem is a lack of players. But the other part of the problem is snobbery. Far too many people, especially those who claim they love grouping so much, simply won't deign to group with anyone but their clique, either their guild or their friends. And so by being so insular, newer players (really, anyone post launch) over the years haven't had anyone to group with, thus they don't group now that you need them.

So the problem is largely self made by LOTRO players and their elitism.
    Na you are wrong here there is a small bit of that but mostly when there are people on you can get groups and if your a half way decent player and listen to instruction it no problem to get group. It not elitism to not accept trouble makers PLAYERS THAT DO NOT LISTEN !! guys that have not updated their gear in 20 plus levels. Players that don.t know how to play there toon and so forth. No one like to have to repeat the same instance because of a bunch of numbnuts.

A few month ago I made push in Moria and before long we had guys in different kin and that all worked together and many are still friend of mine. U find some folks you like to work with and get them in your friend list going from a friends list of nice folks is not elitism.

SO I guess you would just let everyone in your group even if they don't listen, 20 level of gear out of date and show up on their mini to do a raid in war speech and guards showing up with 2 handed swords in hand. I think if a person want to start doing group content they should have some talent good gear and listen to directions if you want to call that elitism. I sure hope I don't end up in one of your groups
    Last edited by Fearless.one; Jun 22 2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Completeness is the only way to play! No fast track ever! Xp Disable Toggle Supporter

it all comes down too this these days. The game experience has changed so much over the years.

PS>>>this guy looks a little like sapience.......
    "Taking a new step is what people fear the most. Any revolutionary change must be preceded by a passive, affirmative, non-challenging attitude toward change among the mass of our people. They must feel so frustrated, so defeated, so lost, so futureless in the prevailing system that they are willing to let go of the past and chance the future."

Quote Originally Posted by jet1971 View Post
    They would need to rebuild the netcode and probably half the client's code both server side and local to get cross server. The game was never designed for cross server and that's obvious when you have to completely exit the game to change servers. I cannot imagine they would do something like that especially after the layoffs when they have fewer developers who can spend months rebuilding the game engine.
    Ok that stuff is a bit off the hook and never going to happen the problem lies in the fact that the the group content don't start soon enough so folks get use to be i groups all the better player sit at cap waiting for folks to get there. and they just expect this little guys too play themselves all the way to cap solo then think they will have clue when they get there. They made the first 50 levels dam near all solo and then they have no one to play with when they start and quite.

You all recruit them lowbies in your kins and meanwhile the whole kin is 95 percent cappies you're never going to have end game players if they don't do something to fill up the first 50 levels. Trust me i know i have over 200 tons ranging from 10 to 72 in 12 worlds and everywhere u go there is nothing going on for 50 level till moria.

I am guilty too I recruit lowbies to fill the roster and just don't have the time to run with them.

WB/Turbine has to do something to promote the first 50 levels hard maybe half price VIP till they hit 50. Now they want to make the new class start at 50 great this should be interesting when u get a bunch of newbie playing a advanced class to skip the first 50 and because its new. Major dumb idea.

there is no way they can merger the server how that going to work when I 15 toon on arkenstone and 15 more on Brandywine and Meneldor and 1550 shored bank full on both 2 kin houses on both and a personal house. Arkenstone dieing so I started a full set of toons on Brandywine and Meneldor instead of moving them but somehow I don't have the heart to leave my mains behind and don't want to move them.

The best answer is promote the hell out of this game and make new level content to make new player come in in waves again like then did when the game went Free to play. They keep expanding from the wrong end they need a ground breaking start to the game.

Like making the hobbit stuff as a prequel storyline there is a ton a folks out there into the now moves the hobbit came before lord of the rings. If the would develop that as a prequel they could bring tons of new players to this game and fill our servers instead of moving them around or stuffing them together.

The need to think outside the box again and find a way to promote the start of the game not the end and get back to starting group content at level 10 stuff you cant sole and it got to be some really great content

thats my buck fifties worth

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    Part of the problem is a lack of players. But the other part of the problem is snobbery. Far too many people, especially those who claim they love grouping so much, simply won't deign to group with anyone but their clique, either their guild or their friends. And so by being so insular, newer players (really, anyone post launch) over the years haven't had anyone to group with, thus they don't group now that you need them.

So the problem is largely self made by LOTRO players and their elitism.
    I started playing a year and a half after lotro launched (Mines of Moria had just come out). I had 2 friends that played, that's it. I solo'd my way to level cap which was 60 at the time, because I was too shy and didn't understand enough of the game to group. My friends would come help me when I got stuck. It wasn't an ezmode class, it was a minstrel who at the time didn't have much dps and I didn't understand much about how to gear her up. Oh, and until level 47 I only used the first skillbar with 12 skills because I didn't understand how to use or display the others. I did the quests I could, skipped the ones I didn't, and when I got to 60 I learned how to play my class better by joining the kin my friends were in - after I got a couple pieces of gear and they took me through a couple of the new 3-mans a few times. So your description of people who should never learn to group or enjoy it would definitely fit me to a T. Except it doesn't.

I joined a kin that did raiding and grouping, and I listened to advice, worked hard on my character, and had an absolute blast with it. I love grouping more than anything. But I'm still uncomfortable around strangers, I don't like people who whine and complain in pugs, and I don't join groups where I'm not familiar with folks. It has nothing to do with being elite or snobby - it has everything to do with my comfort level. I've even rolled characters on other servers and worked up, and managed to pug raids there when Gladden went through a slow period (I'm west coast US, so by 8pm my time the doors were closed in GLFF for about a year at one point). I watched GLFF and learned who the successful players were, who the helpful and nice people were, who the knowledgeable folks were, and I joined their groups and kept my mouth shut and my ears open. I was accepted even though nobody knew me except from GLFF. I had nothing for a kin there but an alt kin where nobody played but me.

It's all about how each person approaches group play. If I go in saying I'm inexperienced but willing to listen, and if I pay attention to my class and how it fits with others, groups will accept me without "snobbery". If I go in whining because they demand I change my traits over what I'm doing right this moment in order to play a specific role, and if I don't listen and just do whatever I want while disrespecting people in the group.... I'll get a very bad reputation and nobody will want to group with me in the future. Self-fulling prophesy would be "everybody is rude to me" because I brought it on myself.
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    I started playing a year and a half after lotro launched (Mines of Moria had just come out). I had 2 friends that played, that's it. I solo'd my way to level cap which was 60 at the time, because I was too shy and didn't understand enough of the game to group. My friends would come help me when I got stuck. It wasn't an ezmode class, it was a minstrel who at the time didn't have much dps and I didn't understand much about how to gear her up. Oh, and until level 47 I only used the first skillbar with 12 skills because I didn't understand how to use or display the others. I did the quests I could, skipped the ones I didn't, and when I got to 60 I learned how to play my class better by joining the kin my friends were in - after I got a couple pieces of gear and they took me through a couple of the new 3-mans a few times. So your description of people who should never learn to group or enjoy it would definitely fit me to a T. Except it doesn't.

I joined a kin that did raiding and grouping, and I listened to advice, worked hard on my character, and had an absolute blast with it. I love grouping more than anything. But I'm still uncomfortable around strangers, I don't like people who whine and complain in pugs, and I don't join groups where I'm not familiar with folks. It has nothing to do with being elite or snobby - it has everything to do with my comfort level. I've even rolled characters on other servers and worked up, and managed to pug raids there when Gladden went through a slow period (I'm west coast US, so by 8pm my time the doors were closed in GLFF for about a year at one point). I watched GLFF and learned who the successful players were, who the helpful and nice people were, who the knowledgeable folks were, and I joined their groups and kept my mouth shut and my ears open. I was accepted even though nobody knew me except from GLFF. I had nothing for a kin there but an alt kin where nobody played but me.

It's all about how each person approaches group play. If I go in saying I'm inexperienced but willing to listen, and if I pay attention to my class and how it fits with others, groups will accept me without "snobbery". If I go in whining because they demand I change my traits over what I'm doing right this moment in order to play a specific role, and if I don't listen and just do whatever I want while disrespecting people in the group.... I'll get a very bad reputation and nobody will want to group with me in the future. Self-fulling prophesy would be "everybody is rude to me" because I brought it on myself.
    I only started 3 years ago but the way I got stated was a lot like this plus I was lucky and had my wife to duet with and a few good friends that came over from DDO Now you want to snobbery and elitism DDO with show you the meaning of that. This game is very much not like that at all if you're getting tanked might be u have it coming to u. Here funny thing about butt weasels most times they don't even realize they are one! Lol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5