We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 73 of 73
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlyo View Post

    I'm still enjoying the game even if this bothers me, because it seems all games out there have followed the same easy mode pattern. No matter how much feedback I send on that topic, seems like those who want a bit of danger are the minority so games still get dumbed down unfortunately.
    It seems most of the younger generation these days want quick and easy. I remember back when Wow started doing the nerf bat to its leveling content in WOTLK I fought tooth and nail on the forums to no avail. During Cata launch my brothers 9 year old daughter started playing a hunter and rolled through the content. Maybe we can blame wow everyone else does for the state of the MMO genre. :P

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymantle View Post
    It seems most of the younger generation these days want quick and easy. I remember back when Wow started doing the nerf bat to its leveling content in WOTLK I fought tooth and nail on the forums to no avail. During Cata launch my brothers 9 year old daughter started playing a hunter and rolled through the content. Maybe we can blame wow everyone else does for the state of the MMO genre. :P
    Companies produce what customers purchase.

    Turbine and other companies have a vast amount of data on what sells and what does not. If putting challenging content in the store brought in revenue, you can bet they would be doing it. If you are looking for somebody to blame, you should be looking at other customers not buying what you hope Turbine would sell.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 working on Book XIV (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    Companies produce what customers purchase.

    Turbine and other companies have a vast amount of data on what sells and what does not. If putting challenging content in the store brought in revenue, you can bet they would be doing it. If you are looking for somebody to blame, you should be looking at other customers not buying what you hope Turbine would sell.
    This is what I don't understand Wow was at it's peak during WOTLK and started it spiral down from around 13mil to 7mil today. You could blame the game getting old for some but one thing that I feel was a big part of it was the easy mode direction they went. I believe we all want challenge to some extent which reminds me of a twilight zone episode.

    A guy dies and wakes up in a room in a fancy hotel and gets everything he wants which makes him believe he went to heaven. He wins every game he plays, never fails at anything he tries which soon leads to boredom. What he thought was his guiding angel that would give him the things he wanted he goes up to and says....I can't stand heaven I'm bored to death please send me to hell. He replies what makes you think this is heaven with a evil laugh.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymantle View Post
    I don't understand this what is subjective when you can win a fight by standing in one place clicking on your attacks until dead without fear of defeat? How is this more difficult for one person than another?
    Maybe you can. What class/level is your character?

    Whatever it is, I'm probably at the opposite end of the spectrum
    from you; I tend to play wimpy Minstrels and LMs and I either
    solo or duo when I play. Even though I prefer to quest in
    areas where the mobs are blue or green, I still get killed
    quite often.

    That's why it's subjective.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Maybe you can. What class/level is your character?

    Whatever it is, I'm probably at the opposite end of the spectrum
    from you; I tend to play wimpy Minstrels and LMs and I either
    solo or duo when I play. Even though I prefer to quest in
    areas where the mobs are blue or green, I still get killed
    quite often.

    That's why it's subjective.
    Umm.. I play the LM and I am far from getting killed in blue areas. What are your virtues? Is your armor up to date? What line are you? How do you fight? If anything, LMs need a small nerf, and Minis are even worse from what I hear.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1971 View Post
    Seriously if you cannot contribute to a discussion do not try and troll someone who is. Otherwise you may as well just type obscenities in all caps and be more effective towards the discussion.
    Right. You were making assertions towards what the game supposedly is or isn't about and stating them as fact.
    In order for them to be assertable facts (see the other answers to the post in question as to how they're untrue), you need to back them up.

    Your repeated failure to support your incorrect assertions with proof and instead resorting to accuse me of trolling is duely noted.

    SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    Umm.. I play the LM and I am far from getting killed in blue areas. What are your virtues? Is your armor up to date? What line are you? How do you fight? If anything, LMs need a small nerf, and Minis are even worse from what I hear.
    This is my experience too. I have a LM parked in the 40s, who I mainly run in blue line. He has to try REALLY hard to die simply because his pet tears through every mob before it comes within shouting distance.

    I know it's a different experience at different level ranges (my Minnie is parked in West Rohan at the Forth the Toringas quest because he's tired of the squishy NPCs, that you don't seem to be able to heal!, dying all the time) but I believe the toughness of some of the Rohan questing is the exception rather than the rule. To my mind they need to iron out some of the more troublesome anomalies in Rohan questing that are making things difficult but still up the difficulty across the range to make the game more enjoyable. I have faith Turbine will sort out the former but I really doubt they'll make my wishes true on the latter because of many of the reasons that have already been stated in this thread... ho hum.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Maybe you can. What class/level is your character?

    Whatever it is, I'm probably at the opposite end of the spectrum
    from you; I tend to play wimpy Minstrels and LMs and I either
    solo or duo when I play. Even though I prefer to quest in
    areas where the mobs are blue or green, I still get killed
    quite often.

    That's why it's subjective.
    Hmm. I play a 95 mini that only solos/duos (occasionally we'll grab our last playing friend when he's online for a 3-man). I have 85 second-age weapons, so 10 levels lower than what I'm at, and mostly crafted level 90 armour and a few pieces of 95 jewelry I bought on the AH but others are quest drops. I don't die. Even that Forth Toringas quest that everybody is talking about we did with no problems at all. In fact, my sweetie on his guard did something silly (was missing some piece of equipment, shield maybe) and died at the final wave, and while he rode all the way back, I finished the whole final group by myself. I never healed the npcs either. I have no fancy raid gear, far-below-level weapons--I just point, wave glowy hands for massive AoE damage, everything dies. And I levelled by doing mostly yellow/orange zones solo.

    Now I did die a couple times soloing Halls of Crafting on the ranged goblins with the poisons, but that's because I didn't have a good sense of how to manage the timing of self heals and damage skills with a lot of stacking poisons. But on the landscape? Once because I went afk on the road and something ran me over while I wasn't there to fight.

    I'll be the first to admit that I am not by any stretch of the imagination a good mini. So if I'm surviving without any problems whatsoever with substandard gear, minis are anything but wimpy (and maybe it's just me, but I would never denigrate any classes in that way--they all have strengths and weaknesses, and it's up to the player to use them).

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    When solo levelling, if you are searching for a challenge, then try and do zones several levels higher than you.
    One thing that would really help this is if Turbine reduced or eliminated "Deflections". I can fairly easily handle a couple of mobs 5+ levels above me, except that there's this artificial "deflection" mechanic that kicks in for mobs 4+ levels higher than you where I simply can't hit it.

    I'd much rather be limited by the natural damage/armour/dps/morale difference.

    This seems like eliminating Deflections would be a pretty easy way to fix things so that those of us who like
    a harder challenge can still find it simply by equipping a Stone of the Tortoise (XP Disabler).
    The way it is right now, the Deflection mechanic kicks in and makes it impossible to hit mobs you otherwise could have killed fairly easily.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    19,301
    Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    I've only skimmed this topic, but I have to say that LotRO, like every other MMO I've played, has gotten easier over the product's lifetime. Generally the first wave of customers are the most hardcore gamers. They want to be the first in, the first to accomplish and the first to put up with the headaches - bug reports, non-functioning features, unbalanced enemies, skill synergy death-spikes, and what-have-you. Later waves of new players progressively get more sedate, requiring easier content. I also imagine that as low-level zones become less populated these less capable players find they're isn't enough outside assistance to help them surmount early hurdles - requiring the devs to nerf things a bit. Thereafter it's an ever devolving cycle.

    .

    This was true with Ultima Online when I started in the late 90s. It was brutal at first. Then PvE sections of the shards(their term for servers) called Trammel appeared, and after that you could pay insurance on items to make sure they stayed on your body after you got killed. Even then players were saying that the game had gotten too easy.

    I played World of Warcraft for 3 years and that game had gotten easier.


    But one thing I want to say though. Yes, I agree that the difficulty level is too low at times. But it's also not the mind numbing "rolling the race on the keyboard I can kill 5 elites by hitting a key" travesty that I see here on the forums a lot. I swear, some folks are really stretching the truth when they say how easy it is.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Maybe you can. What class/level is your character?

    Whatever it is, I'm probably at the opposite end of the spectrum
    from you; I tend to play wimpy Minstrels and LMs and I either
    solo or duo when I play. Even though I prefer to quest in
    areas where the mobs are blue or green, I still get killed
    quite often.

    That's why it's subjective.
    I wonder if you think you are a) the majority, b) the minority or c) an isolated case.
    Ricardofurriel 105 Champion Edved 105 Captain Roovery 105 Minstrel Galathriell 105 Lore-Master EddieVedder 105 Rune-Keeper

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,870
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoFurriel View Post
    I wonder if you think you are a) the majority, b) the minority or c) an isolated case.
    Probably (c).

    I'm an outlier on a very large number of bell curves.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Branwyr View Post
    I'm sure you won't agree with me in the slightest but these kind of comments worry me. To my mind you shouldn't have to try to solo fellowship content to find challenge: fellowship content should be for fellowships, otherwise what's the point in the label?
    I kinda totally agree with you.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Maybe you can. What class/level is your character?

    Whatever it is, I'm probably at the opposite end of the spectrum
    from you; I tend to play wimpy Minstrels and LMs and I either
    solo or duo when I play. Even though I prefer to quest in
    areas where the mobs are blue or green, I still get killed
    quite often.

    That's why it's subjective.
    When I started playing just after F2P, minstrels were very squishy and were still designed primarily to group. They were a moderate to advanced level difficulty class. And I was incompetent, new to MMOs and I am old so my game reflexes were poor. In those days, minstrels were squishy and hard to solo for new players. However, this is no longer the case-with our self heals while doing damage, our big area of effect damage skills, we minstrels are very tough these days. In fact, a bit overpowered in my opinion-we certainly don't need company to most things in the game, even Forth the Toringas, stilling the wade and other more difficult quests. (A bit of practice maybe, to cope with the npcs squishiness, but not raid gear, more stats, or a tank to help.)

    Friendly NPCs having no mitigations and not accepting heals, is a really annoying bug but it is not related to our characters being underpowered or mobs doing too much damage.

    My level 51 RK with underlevelled virtues, quest gear and her starter LI, has had no difficulty in Angmar, Eregion or Moria. Although she did pull 4 orange Moria goblins last night -got a bit overconfident while lightning specced at which I am bad- and suffered the consequence. Once again, it was good to actually feel the place was dangerous and not just from falling off cliffs!

    I agree with an earlier poster that the resists/deflects of over level mobs, are a pain when trying to do higher level stuff to get a challenge.

    There are some difficulty spikes but I'm not finding the 85 plus areas in Rohan as hard as others claim-recently my 86 minstrel wasn't paying attention and died to some on level starving orcs in kingstead-but that was operator error, I pulled 3 or 4, expecting to burn them down while taking no damage as I had been able to elsewhere in the region. They taught me a lesson. Boy, was it nice to actually have to fight the enemy and use more than anthem of wizards, PC and call of the second age, to killl three or four on level mobs. But it was nowhere near as difficult as the lone-land goblins were all those years ago. Some torch bearing orcs are hard. So are some mounted uruks. Everything else doesn't need much thought. So I'm unsure how your minstrel is finding herself squishy?

    Some observations/opinions
    I believe mobs should get relatively harder as we get more experienced. Landscape should always feel a little dangerous-but especially so, in Rohan and other lands we visit at level cap, that are now completely occupied by Sauron's forces.

    Content designed for groups should be impossible to solo by 99.9% of players. And soloing tier 3 skirms easily, should be the mark of the most competent in their class but not easy for B grade players like me
    Last edited by Calta; Jun 19 2014 at 01:42 AM.

    And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Maybe you can.
    The concept behind this ^, more than the person making the statement...

    This is very true and not something that I think most people take sufficiently into account. There are certain things that I've seen players do that have absolutely stunned me. Sometimes moments after I've just failed to accomplish something and think, "Wow, this content isn't good for a <class>, we're too <excuse>." So as I'm standing there, ready to make a second attempt, I see another character (same class as me) runs in, goes pop-pop-pop, and runs out - having accomplished things easily. I pick my jaw up off the desktop and wait for respawn to try the same thing. I die.

    Now, I know a certain amount of the difference is quite literally the aggressiveness of the player. That more aggressive players will tend to advance faster and complete some tasks much easier. But there is something else involved too. Some other trait within the player's personality which makes them a more accomplished gamer. Whatever that other key component might be, I haven't yet figured out.
    Last edited by AccessDenied; Jun 19 2014 at 02:39 PM.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    But there is something else involved too. Some other trait within the player's personality which makes them a more accomplished gamer. Whatever that other key component might be, I haven't yet figured out.
    In my experience, that elusive trait appears to be a willingness to interact with other people: seeking advice, letting others help you. And a second trait of being willing to try different approaches when yours isn't working. For example, I hear frequently in grouping or difficulty threads people who say they can't do things, and when folks start asking questions and offering information, even offering to fellow up in game, we are met with a deafening silence. Or resistance: 'well this is just the way I play and I don't need to think about virtues or positioning or skill rotation, and I sure as heck am not going to play red (or blue, or yellow)--I should win everything every time no matter what I do'.

    I totally understand differing levels of gaming ability. I can't do MC for example, and my reflexes are way slower than most people I play with. So I figure out what I'm not so good at, read the existing advice, ask questions, and get people to join me to show me what I need to know. I am perfectly willing to admit I don't know anywhere close to everything, and there are lots of great friendly knowledgeable players who are more than happy to help. So I let them, and it's worked out pretty well.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Whart View Post
    In my experience, that elusive trait appears to be a willingness to interact with other people: seeking advice, letting others help you. And a second trait of being willing to try different approaches when yours isn't working. For example, I hear frequently in grouping or difficulty threads people who say they can't do things, and when folks start asking questions and offering information, even offering to fellow up in game, we are met with a deafening silence. Or resistance: 'well this is just the way I play and I don't need to think about virtues or positioning or skill rotation, and I sure as heck am not going to play red (or blue, or yellow)--I should win everything every time no matter what I do'.

    I totally understand differing levels of gaming ability. I can't do MC for example, and my reflexes are way slower than most people I play with. So I figure out what I'm not so good at, read the existing advice, ask questions, and get people to join me to show me what I need to know. I am perfectly willing to admit I don't know anywhere close to everything, and there are lots of great friendly knowledgeable players who are more than happy to help. So I let them, and it's worked out pretty well.
    I partly agree. There are several stages of that...

    You're totally right when you say that looking for advice, reading forums and guides, checking equipment and skills, that all that is an important part of succeeding, even difficult quests/instances. (And I absolutely and totally hear ya on MC... that's a pain in the rear for me, no matter how I try it... )

    Adjusting the playstyle though, well, that's something for me personally I found very difficult to do. Of course I can only speak for myself, but the playstyle I use is there for a reason; because it suits my ideas of fun as well as my skills best. It's something I've developed over several games for like 12 years or something by now. Sometimes it works great, sometimes I'm struggling, that's something a player has to deal with. I can adjust until a certain degree, yeah - but, for example, I'll never be good in multitasking and you'll never find me being any good in crowd control (that's just not how my brain works). Trying to use those features would a) be extremely straining and b) be no fun at all. So yeah - I refuse to play my hunter in trapper line.


    As for difficulty: Right now my two main characters are 79 and 83 and mostly busy with farming virtues in low-level areas as I've neglected that part in my leveling-streak since last fall. I've first started playing shortly after release in 2007 and yes, I agree, back then things were a bit harder. I remember several camps being more crowded with mobs, more adds coming in and other things that made leveling harder. On the other hand: That was when end-level was still 50 and all the areas were full with other players, my kin was still active, so if things got too hard you could always group up (there weren't any solo-only instances, as far as I remember, so "bring a friend" was a good option). It still took me a year to get to 50 and that was okay, as it was - as just said - endlevel (even if I was a lot slower than other people).

    I started replaying a few weeks before HD appeared, and of course things felt easier than in my first try. Especially with things like quest-finder and of course the fact that content wasn't exactly new to me anymore. A lot of time in former times was spent looking for certain questmobs... and still, yeah, I've died several times. For example, those Gaunt war-singers in Haragmar (Lone Lands) (not sure if those are the right mobs... the ones that spawn several adds) gave my huntress a more than hard time. Or Forochel - there's a cave there with snow-beasts that nearly tore my champion apart; not to mention that one quest at the beginning where you have to free that bird among a group of wargs.

    I agree that the level of landscape quests is easy to - let's say - the ones in TESO. But I admit to be one of the people who, after a long day of work, prefer to have some mild challenge instead of a "pull my hair out over it" challenge. Like - it's okay to die once or twice, but after ten times I tend to get frustrated, log out and do something else. And the only times I really get bored are those dang kill deeds where it's about killing360 mobs of the same kind. I prefer to do those on a much higher level, to at least get over it quickly.
    Last edited by Rowellan; Jun 20 2014 at 04:56 AM.
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hobbiton
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Maybe you can. What class/level is your character?

    Whatever it is, I'm probably at the opposite end of the spectrum
    from you; I tend to play wimpy Minstrels and LMs and I either
    solo or duo when I play. Even though I prefer to quest in
    areas where the mobs are blue or green, I still get killed
    quite often.

    That's why it's subjective.
    I read this and decided on an experiment. I traited my LM (lvl 47) in the keeper of animals line, picked a pet (lynx) and put 5 skills (I forget which, when I am back at my home computer I will check) on my toolbar numbers 1-5 and put some healing pots on number 6. I took everything else off my toolbars. I then headed out and started questing against on level mobs or mobs one level above me.

    There was no real risk of failure at all. Target a mob, start by pressing 1, then 2 etc... to 5, if it was still alive (which it usually wasn't) start from 1 again. Hitting 1-5 isn't difficult and doesn't take a lot of skill. Those healing pots remained untouched until I got a bit clever and tried to pull too many mobs.

    As I said in a previous post, I still enjoy lotro and play it fairly regularly (not as often as I once did) but no longer for any sense of challenge, I get that elsewhere, now it is purely to see whats next on the road. I'll play through U14 and enjoy it for what it is but no doubt I will pause again once I've ran through it and await U15.
    Last edited by Runesi_EU; Jun 20 2014 at 08:48 AM.
    Council Of The West On Evernight

    Runesi

  19. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowellan View Post
    I agree that the level of landscape quests is easy to - let's say - the ones in TESO. But I admit to be one of the people who, after a long day of work, prefer to have some mild challenge instead of a "pull my hair out over it" challenge. Like - it's okay to die once or twice, but after ten times I tend to get frustrated, log out and do something else. And the only times I really get bored are those dang kill deeds where it's about killing360 mobs of the same kind. I prefer to do those on a much higher level, to at least get over it quickly.
    and it would be foolish for Turbine to ignore this market.

    But there seems to be a number of people who think the EVERYTHING should be accessible with no work. The very idea of, "This over here is for the players with quality equipment, supplies, an intimate knowledge of their skills, and a willingness (eagerness) to think, experiment, fail, and try again," offends them.

    I think that a player should be able to complete green and blue quests with poor equipment, no consumables, and and no understanding of their skills beyond, "when I click on these buttons the enemy takes damage."

    I think that when taking white or yellow quests, players should need to have a moderate understanding of their skills and half-way decent equipment.

    When a character is in the land of orange and red mobs, the attitude should be, "That creature will kill you unless you know what you character's abilities, pay attention to what you are doing, know your enemy, and either use quality equipment, consumables, or bring a friend."

    As it stands, what I describe for green and blue above is true when taking red and orange quests. My warden goes through a cycle of gambits taking no damage (or healing damage faster than it us inflicted). My minstrel kills the mob with two shouts and one swing from his club. (I do not gave a character in the infamous Level 85 to 90 range. - I almost wish I did.)

    By the way, I am well familiar with the play style of those who have better things to do and to think about than maximizing their character's skills. My wife is like that, and I do not want the game to frustrate her. But she's not offended by the thought that some things are meant for people who like a challenge.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 working on Book XIV (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowellan View Post
    Adjusting the playstyle though, well, that's something for me personally I found very difficult to do. Of course I can only speak for myself, but the playstyle I use is there for a reason; because it suits my ideas of fun as well as my skills best. It's something I've developed over several games for like 12 years or something by now. Sometimes it works great, sometimes I'm struggling, that's something a player has to deal with. I can adjust until a certain degree, yeah - but, for example, I'll never be good in multitasking and you'll never find me being any good in crowd control (that's just not how my brain works). Trying to use those features would a) be extremely straining and b) be no fun at all. So yeah - I refuse to play my hunter in trapper line.
    That's a fair point. I'd never advocate that anyone play in a way that isn't fun (I feel exactly the same about trapper line!), and knowing one's strengths and weaknesses and how best to play with them is an important element in success. I was thinking of a somewhat different type of situation, more along the lines of that person who has tried and failed something over and over because they are missing something--not enough dps for example. If they want to get through that quest, they really do need to think about whether they're in the right line for that situation and adapt for those few minutes if they think the change will improve their chances, or get someone to join who can improve the balance. I'm always surprised by the number of folks who refuse to do either of those options and then say it's the quest that needs to be changed.

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiempko View Post
    But there seems to be a number of people who think the EVERYTHING should be accessible with no work. The very idea of, "This over here is for the players with quality equipment, supplies, an intimate knowledge of their skills, and a willingness (eagerness) to think, experiment, fail, and try again," offends them.
    Now this attitude would indeed be silly. I know very well that there are several parts of the game I won't see, or at least not until I come back 20 levels later And that's perfectly fine - there should be indeed different levels of difficulty for different people and playstyles.
    All I want is that I can go through the main story of the game without running into too many frustrating situation - aka broken session play (I'm looking at you, We cannot get out) or (for my playstyle) too hard solo-instances that are gating further content.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whart View Post
    That's a fair point. I'd never advocate that anyone play in a way that isn't fun (I feel exactly the same about trapper line!), and knowing one's strengths and weaknesses and how best to play with them is an important element in success. I was thinking of a somewhat different type of situation, more along the lines of that person who has tried and failed something over and over because they are missing something--not enough dps for example. If they want to get through that quest, they really do need to think about whether they're in the right line for that situation and adapt for those few minutes if they think the change will improve their chances, or get someone to join who can improve the balance. I'm always surprised by the number of folks who refuse to do either of those options and then say it's the quest that needs to be changed.
    Fair points too :-)

    Personally I lean to the "let someone join" tactics, that's why I'm a bit unhappy with the solo-instances in a certain level range. I've probably pulled the short stick at the moment anyway with the level range my characters are in... well, sometimes you lose, sometimes the others are winning.
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

  22. #72
    Here is what I decided to do to bring some challenge without giving up much game play. I decided to use my crafted weapons the catch being they have to be 10 levels lower than my level. This way I still get to craft which I love and hope to bring some challenge to the leveling content without having to disable my exp and or let the content out level me by many levels. We shall see how it goes.

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Greymantle View Post
    Why am I fighting level 32 Elites at 29 and it's as easy as just hitting my attack buttons until dead without any thought to it?
    I skimmed through the thread and didn't see this mentioned...the reason you are able to do this within the Book 2 quest is the Inspired Greatness buff which increases your damage, health, and other attributes dramatically.

    The book quests were originally fellowship quests but they make them available to solo players now via this uber-powerful buff so that they can see the entire story and not have to skip the book quests. You are basically scaled to the power of a full fellowship of your level.

    That's not to say landscape questing is difficult, but I don't think it would be trivial to solo two +3 level elites outside of a Book quest with this buff active.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload