We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Unfortunately it will only get even easier after the old SoA areas. At 'endgame' challenge is completely non existant even in so called group content, with people soloing 3-man, 6-man and some t3 skraids.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymantle View Post
    So your answer is the last patch that was suppose to add difficulty didn't change a thing. I have always been of the thought make your content challenging based on the crafting gear progression and dungeon loot drops. If people don't want to work for the gear to make it easier to handle the challenge at your level then they should be the ones to have to adjust by out leveling content to get by not the other way around.

Well I guess my only option is to handicap myself for I sure don't see any other MMO I want to play. I will start with the exp disabler and try to keep my self a few levels lower than the content for I love to craft and don't think I could go without it.

To others saying find it else where that is not as easy as you think for most modern MMO's go the easy content leveling route too. It seems to be the in thing the last few years that might be taking a turn here in the near future will believe it when I see it.
    No, my “answer” (as you put it) never mentioned any updates, nor any intended effects.

I don't understand this what is subjective when you can win a fight by standing in one place clicking on your attacks until dead without fear of defeat? How is this more difficult for one person than another?
    There are still many challenging aspects of this game. If you are just running solo to level cap you will miss them...it's called doing group content on level.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

Quote Originally Posted by jet1971 View Post
    LOTRO isn't really about challenge and the combat but about the story.
    Citation needed.

The majority of players who are in the game play not for hard mode die 10 times each quest but to enjoy the story.
    Citation needed.

SNy
    LotRO on Linux! http://SNy.name/LOTRO/
    Also home to the LI progression diagram.
    Find the new forums unreadable? Try my forum theme.

To me the biggest challenge in landscape quests was always how to avoid taking on too many baddies at the same time. Take the kill the Red Reaver quest. I used to have to isolate guards to gain entrance to the camp. And then work my way to the Reaver without taking on too many at the same time. Then agro the Reaver and kill him one on one before any other baddies roamed into range again and/or re-spawned. Then get out of Dodge the same way, or by making a break for it.

If now I can stroll into camp with less carefulness, then I like it. I have not done the quest in years so I do not know how easy it is now. I always disliked (to some degree) having to stealth, isolate and methodically make my way to a destination. If I had a character at that level doing the quest now, I might just stroll into the camp straight to the Reaver and see if I could kill him and whatever agro I had accumulated on the way at the same time.

I've only skimmed this topic, but I have to say that LotRO, like every other MMO I've played, has gotten easier over the product's lifetime. Generally the first wave of customers are the most hardcore gamers. They want to be the first in, the first to accomplish and the first to put up with the headaches - bug reports, non-functioning features, unbalanced enemies, skill synergy death-spikes, and what-have-you. Later waves of new players progressively get more sedate, requiring easier content. I also imagine that as low-level zones become less populated these less capable players find they're isn't enough outside assistance to help them surmount early hurdles - requiring the devs to nerf things a bit. Thereafter it's an ever devolving cycle.

/wicked gleam in eye
    So go play ESO, already!

PS: Things might get better in LotRO if Turbine would finally recognize that the PvE vs PvMP customers need to be handled as completely separate gamers. Within the moors the skills should be explicitly balanced for that endeavor. Effectively, 1 skill, 2 functions - depends on where you are. Period.

There are some factors in whether or not landscape is a challenge. I'm going to use mounted combat in West Rohan as an example. On my burg, it's fun. Put on my disguise, run up behind a mob, and I can take away about half their health with one crit attack. BUT! The mobs were dark blue or cyan to me. They weren't on-level white. So white mobs may have been harder. But it's still fun.

Now on my RK... Don't get me started. She's is SUPER squishy. Can barely do mounted combat. Or any type of combat at all. Even one-on-one it's tough. I've done yellow line and red line. RKs are just hard to play at the moment. Almost makes me want to quit her.

So yah. There are many factors when it comes to content being "challenging." For reference, all my toons are in mostly quest gear with some Hytbold armor and maybe one or two drafted jewelry items. Nothing too spectacular. So if you want to try a challenge, try a RK. I don't know about the lower levels for them, but the higher levels will make you tear your hair out. Though again, this will depend on your playstyle. I don't want super easy faceroll stuff, but dying a lot to the same mob isn't any fun.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
    "As long as people believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Mini - 100 |Hunt - 100 |RK - 100 |LM - 100 |Cap - 92 |Champ - 100 |Burg - 100 |Beorn - 81

So your answer is the last patch that was suppose to add difficulty didn't change a thing. I have always been of the thought make your content challenging based on the crafting gear progression and dungeon loot drops. If people don't want to work for the gear to make it easier to handle the challenge at your level then they should be the ones to have to adjust by out leveling content to get by not the other way around.

Well I guess my only option is to handicap myself for I sure don't see any other MMO I want to play. I will start with the exp disabler and try to keep my self a few levels lower than the content for I love to craft and don't think I could go without it.

To others saying find it else where that is not as easy as you think for most modern MMO's go the easy content leveling route too. It seems to be the in thing the last few years that might be taking a turn here in the near future will believe it when I see it.
    The recent difficulty change didn't affect level 30 characters very much, because it primarily reduced mitigations (especially tactical mitigations), which level 30 characters don't usually have a lot of to begin with.

Anyway, I like playing with an XP disabler because I don't see it as a handicap - it just means I'm taking on harder content relative to my level. Also, if you end up in Forochel (the quests are about 44+, you can start doing them at 39 minimum), make sure to do the quest "Driving the Beasts Out" - I haven't done it on any character since HD but I'm guessing it will still pose a bit of a challenge. It's part of a quest chain starting in Kauppa-kohta.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    When solo levelling, if you are searching for a challenge, then try and do zones several levels higher than you. For instance, I went into Goblin Town (level 45/46 area) with my level 42 champ, and found that I had to take care with pulls/regen etc. It was nearly impossible to kill two level 46 signatures and a level 45 normal (which came in one pull), though after trying a couple of times I managed it - so essentially, if you want to make things more difficult for yourself, head to new zones as early as you can, and don't stick around once the quests start being blue or green.
    Yep just do this if you don't think the game is "Ah not that challenging"

*Still not sure if the OP is trolling or not*

But this game can be very hard to survive if you enter zones/areas that are 2 to 3 levels above you, you will notice about around Mirkwood or so...
    [COLOR="Green"]Legoor Hunter 100th[/COLOR]|[COLOR="Red"]Arhire Guardian 95th[/COLOR]|[COLOR="Blue"]Thaminail Runekeeper 95th[/COLOR]|[COLOR="Yellow"]Astrobulis LoreMaster 95th[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by AccessDenied View Post
    I've only skimmed this topic, but I have to say that LotRO, like every other MMO I've played, has gotten easier over the product's lifetime. Generally the first wave of customers are the most hardcore gamers. They want to be the first in, the first to accomplish and the first to put up with the headaches - bug reports, non-functioning features, unbalanced enemies, skill synergy death-spikes, and what-have-you. Later waves of new players progressively get more sedate, requiring easier content. I also imagine that as low-level zones become less populated these less capable players find they're isn't enough outside assistance to help them surmount early hurdles - requiring the devs to nerf things a bit. Thereafter it's an ever devolving cycle.

/wicked gleam in eye
    So go play ESO, already!

PS: Things might get better in LotRO if Turbine would finally recognize that the PvE vs PvMP customers need to be handled as completely separate gamers. Within the moors the skills should be explicitly balanced for that endeavor. Effectively, 1 skill, 2 functions - depends on where you are. Period.
    If you mean “capable” in the
    (c.) predisposed to; inclined to: capable of murder
    definition: then I would say that you have quite a lot of work ahead of you to verify that statement.

If you mean capable in the
    (a.) having the ability or capacity for: a man capable of judging art.
    definition: then I would say you have a somewhat viable point.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/capable?s=t
    Last edited by RKL; Jun 17 2014 at 02:55 PM.

I started playing LOTRO back in alpha 2 up until the first 3 months of launch. I did become a life time member and had hopes of making this my home for many years. Well at the time I was huge in to Wow and soon found that I missed the game and characters I had and went back. Flash forward to after Mirkwood when I decided to give it another go but I ran in to one problem I couldn't get past how easy the game had become. Well I left again to bounce around from MMO to MMO never finding a home. I came back a few weeks ago with the mindset that I will stick to my guns this time and level up a character to see Moria and beyond.

To make a long story short I'm finding the game so easy I'm having a hard time sticking to my goal. I have reached level 30 and I just finished book 2. What I have found so far is I'm never in danger of being defeated it's like I'm in god mode. Is this what I should expect for the next 50 levels until I reach the last expansion or two? Is it asking to much to have a little fear while I explore and adventure in Middle Earth? Why am I fighting level 32 Elites at 29 and it's as easy as just hitting my attack buttons until dead without any thought to it? Any hope things will change or am I stuck in god mode for the rest of the leveling?
    Welcome back! It is very much in order that you came to this forum. A lot of the people here will give you false answers as they possess little knowledge of this game and they have readily embraced the popular cliché that there is no challenge in lotro any more. The truth is there are challenges that even the best players find hard or even impossible to complete. You don't have to put restrictions on yourself, you just need to know where to look.

You have to accept the fact that about 80% of this game is easy and boring. But there are fellowship quests in some areas that you can do alone, and they are not easy. If you are level 30, definitely go to Agamaur in the Lone Lands and try to complete the quests there. There are also fellowship quests in the North Downs and Trollshaws that are equally challanging if you don't use inspiration. Annúminas (Evendim) is also a good place to quest. Looking further, Angmar is an obvious destination for you. Angmar has the best content in the game, imo, and it also has the hardest fellowship quests.

Looking even further, Limlight Gourge in Great River is a nice place to quest solo. It used to be a fellowship area. There are some instances in the quest line in East and West Rohan where you have to keep certain NPCs alive in order to succeed which is not easy. Failure is likely at least once. You can try to solo war-bands, too. All this was made possible by a recent patch that nerfed the classes a bit.

Instance-wise, I can give you a specific challenge right now. Try to find a group (without high-level assistance) for Bells of Dale and complete the instance. While GB is totally easy because it was kinda made as a tutorial instance, you'll find that some of the other stuff isn't. You can also do the GA instances if you havent outlevelled them yet. Try doing Fortress as a 3man. Don't wait with instances until you are 95. At cap, they are all very easy, except maybe Sari Surma.

On the other hand, if you're looking for hardship, I would avoid the following areas where there is little challenge to be found: Misty Mountains, Forochel, Eregion, Lothlórien, Enedwaith. Moria and Mirkwood are also pretty easy for the most part.

One last thing to add, other MMOs are not much different than LOTRO. The dungeons in Rift Online are a lot more challenging than LOTRO instances but regular questing and world content is just as easy there as it is in LOTRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeprandua View Post
    You have to accept the fact that about 80% of this game is easy and boring. But there are fellowship quests in some areas that you can do alone, and they are not easy. If you are level 30, definitely go to Agamaur in the Lone Lands and try to complete the quests there. There are also fellowship quests in the North Downs and Trollshaws that are equally challanging if you don't use inspiration. Annúminas (Evendim) is also a good place to quest. Looking further, Angmar is an obvious destination for you. Angmar has the best content in the game, imo, and it also has the hardest fellowship quests.

Looking even further, Limlight Gourge in Great River is a nice place to quest solo. It used to be a fellowship area. There are some instances in the quest line in East and West Rohan where you have to keep certain NPCs alive in order to succeed which is not easy. Failure is likely at least once. You can try to solo war-bands, too. All this was made possible by a recent patch that nerfed the classes a bit.
    I'm sure you won't agree with me in the slightest but these kind of comments worry me. To my mind you shouldn't have to try to solo fellowship content to find challenge: fellowship content should be for fellowships, otherwise what's the point in the label?

I know I'm sounding like an old fart saying this but I remember the good old days when even the Chetwood felt dangerous on level, when soloing Jagger Jack was a challenge and that darn Warg made you run for your life. I miss those days and I feel the game has been diminished by making everything so darned easy. I want to walk into Angmar with trepidation and feel a pang of panic when I'm overwhelmed by orcs in Moria but, sadly, those days seem to be long gone. I understand if Turbine have deliberately made the game easier to make it more 'accessible'. After all they want people to get to the higher level content as quickly as possible so they'll spend more money on quest packs and expansions. But really, we shouldn't have to look for challenge ten levels above us, or by taking on orc camps single-handed or by strutting around in nothing but our loincloth. We should be able to experience the thrill of danger around every darkened corner and in every war-torn realm of Middle Earth...

Now please excuse me while I take a few moments to grieve my loss...

Quote Originally Posted by Coeprandua View Post

On the other hand, if you're looking for hardship, I would avoid the following areas where there is little challenge to be found: Misty Mountains, Forochel, Eregion, Lothlórien, Enedwaith. Moria and Mirkwood are also pretty easy for the most part.
    That is some sad news that Moria and Mirkwood you consider little challenge. I'm in Agamaur now and finding it easy which worries me about the rest. Maybe being a hunter is not helping and I should be a loremaster or RK. Anyway thanks for the post I'm heading to North Downs next with my exp stopped at level 30 and see how it goes. I want to get the Ranger rep there for the crafting area. After that will head to Evendim and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Branwyr View Post
    I'm sure you won't agree with me in the slightest but these kind of comments worry me. To my mind you shouldn't have to try to solo fellowship content to find challenge: fellowship content should be for fellowships, otherwise what's the point in the label?

I know I'm sounding like an old fart saying this but I remember the good old days when even the Chetwood felt dangerous on level, when soloing Jagger Jack was a challenge and that darn Warg made you run for your life. I miss those days and I feel the game has been diminished by making everything so darned easy. I want to walk into Angmar with trepidation and feel a pang of panic when I'm overwhelmed by orcs in Moria but, sadly, those days seem to be long gone. I understand if Turbine have deliberately made the game easier to make it more 'accessible'. After all they want people to get to the higher level content as quickly as possible so they'll spend more money on quest packs and expansions. But really, we shouldn't have to look for challenge ten levels above us, or by taking on orc camps single-handed or by strutting around in nothing but our loincloth. We should be able to experience the thrill of danger around every darkened corner and in every war-torn realm of Middle Earth...

Now please excuse me while I take a few moments to grieve my loss...
    Nice post and that is how I feel. Middle Earth is at a all time high for fear factor at this time of the books and the problem is the fear factor is missing and that takes me out of Middle Earth and in to just another MMO. I do enjoy the story but it's hard to take it seriously when they are using drama in the story line / voice overs and the encounters are laughable at best.

There is one area that right now is pretty tough going for a hunter (and most freep classes), and that's out on the Ettenmoors. Since you've been away, a recent change now allows lower level players to access the moors and get "auto-leveled" to L95. It won't help much and you will find that you will be pretty well challenged by the opposing side.

There is PVMP armour you can earn for your pre-scaled level that will grant you the much needed audacity rating but again being less the L95 with no full L95 PVMP gear and no LI's at all or no 2nd age / 1st age L95 tricked out to the max won't help your survival much. But it's definitely not God Mode on the moors.

This change and the current set of "balance" (ahem...) on the moors means you will have all the challenge and then some you could possibly want. And better yet, you don't have to wait to get there.

But be warned, the current incarnation of "balance" (ahem...) is subject to change and it could go to God Mode at any time or not.... So get that hunter trap set trait line going and head out to the moors to find some less-than-God-Mode entertainment.

see section: Playing for the Free Peoples

• Only VIPs have access to the Ettenmoors as a fighter for the Free Peoples at level 20, and are automatically scaled to level 95.
    • Free and Premium players can purchase a temporary Ettenmoors pass from the Stable-masters (below) using 20 of the Mithril Coin-icon.png Mithril Coin currency to purchase 6 hours of PVMP playtime.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Monster_Play
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by Branwyr View Post
    I understand if Turbine have deliberately made the game easier to make it more 'accessible'. After all they want people to get to the higher level content as quickly as possible so they'll spend more money on quest packs and expansions. But really, we shouldn't have to look for challenge ten levels above us, or by taking on orc camps single-handed or by strutting around in nothing but our loincloth. We should be able to experience the thrill of danger around every darkened corner and in every war-torn realm of Middle Earth...
    I think it would be more accurate to say that Turbine has turned LOTRO into a Middle Earth theme park.

Goblin Town has been turned into a nice amusing walk with no serious threat to the player while he gets to visit Gollum's cave and other touristy sights, every once in a while pretending to battle the play goblins put in the hallways. This is the general sense of the place - tourists following the steps of the fellowship in a tamed-down version of the story - the pretend hero standing over the Orc predestined to fall over dead after pretending to put up a bit of a fight.

Challenge currently has to be engineered - and it is about as difficult as turning the Pirates of the Caribbean theme park ride into a genuine adventure.

It did not used to be that way. Six on-level well-equipped characters at one time could feel proud at completing the Grand Stairs. It took work, thought, knowing one 's character, and earning rewards, planning, and teamwork. Now, four under-equipped players can make if through the first time unless they seriously trip over their own feet.

The stories that were told - the stories that were created - in those days.

Some have asked the question, "Who wants to did seven or eight times. Where is the fun in that?"

The fun in that is on the ninth time you are sitting at the edge of your seat watching the Guardian's morale fall from repeated blows as you get pummeled by a pair of wights that other members are trying to get off you long enough to heal the guardian. The Hunter's Rain of Thorns reaches cool down, he fires his shot, pinning the orcs, the Minstrel gets off his heal, the Guardian stands against the boss and - all of that sweat and thought and planning and teamwork you get the victory. Among the cheers and congratulations you Rez the fallen companions and prepare to take your share of the treasure.

Of these, I hold that the thought, the planning, the teamwork, and the fellowship provide the greatest reward. A rat in a Skinner box can press a button and collect a reward. A human can think, plan, figure things out, and work with others.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in Rivendell finishing off Book XIII and starting Book XIV (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Ok lets summarize, challenging areas in Lotro <50, many of them have fellowship quests (in the end, this it is only a label, after all you were looking for challenge not if the quest is "solo" or "fellowship").

-Bree: Southern Barrows-Down.
    -Bree city: try to go from W. to S. Gate without experiencing hitching, lag (sorry I couldn't resist).
    -North Downs: Nan wathren, Fornost.
    -Angmar: Almost all Angmar is challenging; lots of fellowship quests.
    -Evendim: Annuminas, Emyn Uial (has some challenging quests).
    -Forochel: Almost all quests, (I always started Forochel around lvl 40, at that level it is challenging. I say: above the average.
    -Lone-Lands:Garth Agarwen.
    -Trollshaws: North Trollshaws, spiders lair, Trolls everywhere, Giants Valley.
    -Misty Mountains: Goblin Town, Giant Halls. There are some areas above the average: South High pass: Gauradan North High Pass: Goblins.
    -Eregion: Most quests are above the average. Specially with pre-moria equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerien View Post
    Ok lets summarize, challenging areas in Lotro <50, many of them have fellowship quests (in the end, this it is only a label, after all you were looking for challenge not if the quest is "solo" or "fellowship").

-Bree: Southern Barrows-Down.
    -Bree city: try to go from W. to S. Gate without experiencing hitching, lag (sorry I couldn't resist).
    -North Downs: Nan wathren, Fornost.
    -Angmar: Almost all Angmar is challenging; lots of fellowship quests.
    -Evendim: Annuminas, Emyn Uial (has some challenging quests).
    -Forochel: Almost all quests, (I always started Forochel around lvl 40, at that level it is challenging. I say: above the average.
    -Lone-Lands:Garth Agarwen.
    -Trollshaws: North Trollshaws, spiders lair, Trolls everywhere, Giants Valley.
    -Misty Mountains: Goblin Town, Giant Halls. There are some areas above the average: South High pass: Gauradan North High Pass: Goblins.
    -Eregion: Most quests are above the average. Specially with pre-moria equipment.
    I agree Nan Wrathren, Angmar, east Garth Agarwen, TS Spider Lair / Giant's Valley, MM Giant Halls, the Great Goblin instance and *one* quest in Forochel can provide a challenge as they have multiple elites. However the rest is Normals & Signatures and sadly don't offer a combat challenge.
    [I]In the sea without lees standeth the Bird of Hermes.
    [/I][I]When all his feathers be from him gone, He standeth still here as a stone.
    Here is now both white and red, And all so the stone to quicken the dead[/I][I].
    The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame.[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofHermes View Post
    I agree Nan Wrathren, Angmar, east Garth Agarwen, TS Spider Lair / Giant's Valley, MM Giant Halls, the Great Goblin instance and *one* quest in Forochel can provide a challenge as they have multiple elites. However the rest is Normals & Signatures and sadly don't offer a combat challenge.
    Remember, I said some are above the average; others require to be played on lvl. For example, Southern Barrows-downs crypts, at level 20 are challenging. Forochel, killing that elite warg in the beginning is not that easy, the elite master dwarf near Zigilgund too; gauradans and sabertooth in groups; there are elite named mobs too. On level, they are challeging (or they was before class revamps).

You have inspired this Suggestion https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...11#post7185111

Quite different from the existing Turtle pocket item.

Quote Originally Posted by SNy-lotrolinux-EU View Post
    Citation needed.

Citation needed.

SNy
    Seriously if you cannot contribute to a discussion do not try and troll someone who is. Otherwise you may as well just type obscenities in all caps and be more effective towards the discussion.

OT:
    AccessDenied was spot on for his explanation on why the game has gotten easier over time. He was correct that the initial rounds of players are more hardcore and that over time the players entering the game are more casual players ontop of less group oriented players in the lower levels to be able to manage 12-6 man content. Never was WoW level of challenge and has only gotten easier over the years especially between RoR and HD. levels 0-40 were harder before RoR and somewhere since then lost much such as the 30 minute easy peasy start zone that is missing allot of content like fighting the guys at the gate.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d000000307b65/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Seriously if you cannot contribute to a discussion do not try and troll someone who is. Otherwise you may as well just type obscenities in all caps and be more effective towards the discussion.

OT:
    AccessDenied was spot on for his explanation on why the game has gotten easier over time. He was correct that the initial rounds of players are more hardcore and that over time the players entering the game are more casual players ontop of less group oriented players in the lower levels to be able to manage 12-6 man content. Never was WoW level of challenge and has only gotten easier over the years especially between RoR and HD. levels 0-40 were harder before RoR and somewhere since then lost much such as the 30 minute easy peasy start zone that is missing allot of content like fighting the guys at the gate.

Thats kinda insulting to the more casual players. I suggest you change the word "casual" to "incompetent".

Your welcome.
    [IMG]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii500/supermaco/2800703.png[/IMG]

Even at level 85 the game was already super easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-mDfaEw0ro Just look at this video I made back then. Auto attack killing the first pull on Iorbar's peak, without using any skills on my skillbar.
    Now It feels like I'm Tulkas reborn whacking orcs left and right, so I'm not even bothering anymore.
    [Juregar/Laurelin] [Jureon/Evernight] [Ragetrain/Laurelin]
    Member of Puliveivarit
    I was a corner survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laerien View Post
    Remember, I said some are above the average; others require to be played on lvl. For example, Southern Barrows-downs crypts, at level 20 are challenging. Forochel, killing that elite warg in the beginning is not that easy, the elite master dwarf near Zigilgund too; gauradans and sabertooth in groups; there are elite named mobs too. On level, they are challeging (or they was before class revamps).
    To illustrate the need to engineer challenge - the Level 20 Elite southern Barrow Downs was challenging to my Level 15 characters limited to only dropped armor and weapons. I could still solo the signature bosses - but I did have to take care not to draw too much attention all at once.

The XP Disabler is essential here - otherwise one will gain levels very quickly and lose the challenge.

I had hopes that these instance would require groups at 15th level - me and my friends were going to adventure there as a group. We did a few times, but two 15th level characters really had nothing to fear.

Another example of engineering challenge - we mustered 5 for a skirmish; 3 level 30, 1 level 29, 1 level 27. Two lacked experience in fellowships. So we set the skirmish to level 31, Tier III, and fought without skirmish soldiers.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Jun 18 2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in Rivendell finishing off Book XIII and starting Book XIV (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

I also recently came back to LoTRO and I agree with the OP, darn the game is so easy now compared to back when it released! I don't use food buffs, heck I don't use any buffs at all and my armor was under leveled when I went to the Barrows. I remember getting my bottom handed over and dying quite a few time before level 20 when I started playing at release, now I'm taking on mobs above my level and killing them with just 2 minstrel shouts and a swing of my mace. I was expecting a wee bit of challenge when taking on mobs of same or 1-2 levels above, nothing drastic but still, enough challenge that if I get adds it's play with skills or die.

But nope! Adds go down too quickly to be a danger, I never died once and don't even need to use a heal in combat. Should we really have to buy a lock exp thingie while we level? I don't think so. My goal is to level and catch up to my kinnies while enjoying the journey. Leveling should be easy only when mobs are under your level. You should not have to get gimmicks to force yourself to have challenge. I think whatever LoTRO did to dumb down the game was not a good idea. This super easy mode only discourage players from grouping for normal leveling, which is a bit sad.

I'm still enjoying the game even if this bothers me, because it seems all games out there have followed the same easy mode pattern. No matter how much feedback I send on that topic, seems like those who want a bit of danger are the minority so games still get dumbed down unfortunately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast