We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Sputtering Connectivity

This is an issue I've never had any trouble with before; I lose connection for a minute or so (can't input anything, yet I am still looking at the game world), then it reconnects for a little bit. The issue seems to get better over time. That is, the longer I endure it, the less problematic it becomes. I still get the "Lost Connection to Chat Server/Reconnecting to Chat Server" messages, but it does not seem to impede game play -after an hour or so.

I get: "Your connection with the Chat server has been lost"
    then after like 30 seconds to a minute (during which time some monster has thrashed me): "Your connection with the Chat server has been reestablished."

It seems that if it was a port/firewall issue, I'd not be able to connect at all.

I can't believe I'm the only one this is happening to.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Aamu; Jun 17 2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: adding more detail

Quote Originally Posted by Aamu View Post
    This is an issue I've never had any trouble with before; I lose connection for a minute or so (can't input anything, yet I am still looking at the game world), then it reconnects for a little bit. The issue seems to get better over time. That is, the longer I endure it, the less problematic it becomes. I still get the "Lost Connection to Chat Server/Reconnecting to Chat Server" messages, but it does not seem to impede game play -after an hour or so.

I get: "Your connection with the Chat server has been lost"
    then after like 30 seconds to a minute (during which time some monster has thrashed me): "Your connection with the Chat server has been reestablished."

It seems that if it was a port/firewall issue, I'd not be able to connect at all.
    The simple answer is -- it's a communications problem. And, therefore it tends to be unique to individuals.

Why is also simple: Encrypted UDP

* Both DDO and LOTRO connect using encrypted UDP (User Datagram Protocol) packets over ports 9000 to 9010 (for the general data communication) and 2900 to 2910 (for the chat and voice chat connections) and they use "loose" routing methods, usually referred to as "asymmetrical packet routing". What this means is that while the game client sends data outbound (upstream) on port 'x', the response packets coming back from the server inbound (downstream) are using port 'y'.

* Whenever there is an issue with these ports being accessible, the two-way data method being supported, or the inbound/outbound data being mis-routed then connection issues at these stages can and do occur.

Fixing it is not so simple. The problem is usually your local ISP.

Try purging your arp cache....

Power down your Mac - don't just close the lid, shut it down!
    Power down your modem/router/WiFi access point (which ever you use -- or all of them!)

Wait a full two minutes

Power up things in sequence waiting for each component to come up before#moving on to the next one.
    Power up sequence should be:
    Modem
    Router
    WiFi Access point
    Your Mac.

This will get you new "routes" between you and Turbine. It may help, it may not.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

That seems to have done it. To any who see this, I would also say that I had to go through the process twice, but things seem to be working as normal now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aamu View Post
    That seems to have done it. To any who see this, I would also say that I had to go through the process twice, but things seem to be working as normal now.
    The problem can easily reoccur.

The key to the fix is forcing your Router to convince your ISP to give it a new route -- this isu sually a "time-out" function -- that's why the 2 minute wait.
    Your router has to be "off-line" for a minimum amount of time before it will get a NEW address, rather than simply "recovering" and giving you back the old one.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)