We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yes and no.

To me, the story and quests get more mature - even "depressing" - the further you get (at higher levels). It's totally ok at lower levels (maybe everything up to and including Moria, even Isengard), but with Rohan latest, the stories get quite dark. Depending on your kid's leveling speed, it will take him quite a while to reach that point.

Best thing is: play together and if you feel that something is bothering him, talk about it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/1f21b000000024c74/01002/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

As a teen that started playing at a younger age, it isn't that bad for a ten year old. Just make sure you try it out with him for a few weeks, and meet some of the players on the server and find the ones that could monitor him for you (thats what my brother did). other than that, zero nudity, some alcohol/pipe weed (cigarettes) overall, safe game for a 10 year old.

~Rimenuir, r6 hunter: Officer Guardians of the Forsaken Woods
    ~Lumfatnur, r8 warg: Member In Breeds
    ~Sloro, 30 burg: Member Fortune Hunters Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Leonhast View Post
    Yes and no.

To me, the story and quests get more mature - even "depressing" - the further you get (at higher levels). It's totally ok at lower levels (maybe everything up to and including Moria, even Isengard), but with Rohan latest, the stories get quite dark. Depending on your kid's leveling speed, it will take him quite a while to reach that point.

Best thing is: play together and if you feel that something is bothering him, talk about it.
    Not only that, but the first volume of the Epic Quest line gets dark with that Elf girl's (forgot how to spell her name) isolation from her kinsmen and being eventually corrupted and all. Might be a little to much of a mature theme for someone so young as a 5 or ten year old.

Thanks for all the answers! Playing together sounds like a good idea, so I think I'll start with it. Thanks.

I would have loved this game when I was 10. It's a great atmosphere overall, and very friendly. A LOT depends on the server you choose, as some are harsher than others. I'd recommend Landroval because it's very community-minded, mature and friendly overall.

In terms of the 'hazards' I agree that the only real hazard is chat/interaction with other players. It's a good idea to keep a close eye on that, and check in with him every now and then to see what kind of connections he's forming with other players. I would keep him out of the Role-Playing scene until he's older because there are some rather 'interesting' types in that scene.

Overall, should be totally fine. It's a very family-friendly game.

If he can handle the complexity(yes, I know it's more simple and less complex than some other MMOs) I would say let him play. There might be some people talking about mature subjects in chat, but 10 year olds are a lot more street savvy then we give them credit for.

Not only that, if he likes Tolkien, the visuals will blow him away. Like seeing Weathertop for example.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCrow View Post
    Hi,

I'm a father of 10 year old boy, who is (as his father) a great fan of J.R.R Tolkien works.
    Since it his birthday soon I thought maybe I could buy him a lot of trubine points as a gift, but since he never played your game, and I'm trying to be so called "responsible" parent I would like to know is this game appropriate for 10 years old. And by appropriate I'm talking about violence, nudity, and general... let's say "friendliness" of fellow players. Also I would like to know whether the game retains the magical atmosphere of the book? Last think I want is to ruin his own vision of Tolkien's world.

What are your opinions? ...
    This is how this game is classified:

What this means is your 10 year old kid will see interactive videos of people enduring bloody fights (bleeding special effects included), image of corpse in several states of decomposition (this 2 should be expected because the story inspiring the game, is about a fictional war in the past), consuming alcoholic drinks & smoking weed in the holidays. This shouldn't be shocking for a adult but for a too young person (12 or younger) might not be apropiate. Of course all that is tame if you let him see "The walking dead" TV series.

On a positive note, there is no nudity at difference to most games, even some less violent . This is a reason why many women & men that respect women prefer it, isn't offensive how they draw the female body. Also the people here overall are much more friendlier & mature than other games. The game mechanics inspire good team work. The main theme of the game is follow the path of the fellowship, starting from Frodo depart from the Shire to Mordor (but we havent reach Mordor yet). The ambient is very tolkiens lore rich, with many images & locations inspired on the books.

If you still will let your kid play this game i recomend you do it with your supervision or that you team with him.
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Jul 07 2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? : http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38sxzbsq.png
    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgoing View Post
    Not only that, but the first volume of the Epic Quest line gets dark with that Elf girl's (forgot how to spell her name) isolation from her kinsmen and being eventually corrupted and all. Might be a little to much of a mature theme for someone so young as a 5 or ten year old.
    She did finally turn back to the light after all, though it's very sad when her father died for her and she end up dead too. But I think if a kid can handle the death of Mufasa and Bambi's mother at 6, they can handle the epic quests at 10.

Beside, I recommended a role-play server. The community is quite more mature.

Kids should play outside with their friends not in their rooms infront of a pc screen.My opinion ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Akitsa View Post
    Kids should play outside with their friends not in their rooms infront of a pc screen.My opinion ofc.
    That is not a universal rule:
    Consider a kid that live in a appartment with not playground anywhere near or that their parent work 18 hours a day & have not enough time to supervise their kids at the playground when they get back home. Also a kid that can't move from bed or that have a physical condition that can be life threatening if his heart rate or breathing get to high. Or that is alergic to the sun light, etc... I swear you that those conditions are far more common than you think.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? : http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38sxzbsq.png
    Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Turn the question around too as part of your evaluation.

Is your 10 year old appropriate for this game?

Can your 10 yr old handle simulated violence and gore?

Can your 10 yr old interact politely with adults?

How will your 10 yr old deal with inappropriate chatter in the chat channels?

Is your child able to leave the game and report to you if something unwelcome happens?

My boys played this game when they were about 10 years old but my questions were less about the game and more about them. I was more concerned about their maturity level when in game play with adults more than I worried about what a game rated for 12 and up might expose them to. I had to trust that their father and I had given them the skills necessary to essentially go out into a world alone.

I read the lord of the rings as a kid, the game is twice as not very scary. The chat could be scary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2