We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Socketed Armour and Essences

With Update 14 we are being introduced a new type of itemisation system, known as socketed armour or the essence system. This is quite an exciting introduction for players who enjoy customisation. The gist of the system is that there will be new items with 'slots' where you can equip your preference of stats (found in 'essences'). Players will be able to customise items to suit their personal requirements rather than making do with the pre-determined options available. This is great if you're struggling to keep up a particular stat or fancy toying around with different builds.

Uhdun barter pieces at skirmish camp. Demonstrating two pieces of light armour at level 95 with three slots and two passive stats

At the moment, the system is restricted to: helm, shoulders, chest, gloves, legs and boots. Though it was mentioned that this may be expanded in future, if the system is successful.
    Pieces can be bartered for at skirmish camps, at Dol Amroth, and also drop randomly.

The items have passive stats similar to LIs, and empty slots. The number of slots available seems to vary from 2 to 5, depending on the quality of the piece.

Uncommon = 2 slots
    Rare = 3 slots
    Incomparable = 4 slots
    Legendary = 5 slots

Depending on the weight of the armour, there seems to be a constant main passive stat on each piece. These are:
    - Light = Will
    - Medium = Agility
    - Heavy = Might

Where an armour piece has two passive stats, the first seems to always be one of those with the second changing depending on the piece.
    At the moment, the stat values are the same for the level 100 skirmish and Dol Amroth pieces (+119 will, +119 agility, +119 might). It's in the armour value that you see the difference between the rare and incomparable qualities. It's worth pointing out that these values at level 100 (+119 will etc.) are equal to the rare essence of the same stat. The skirmish pieces at level 95, however, have stat values equal to the uncommon essence of the same type (+108 will etc.). It's likely, therefore, that the main passive stat will always be equal to at least the value of the uncommon essences.

Comparison of the level 100 skirmish and Dol Amroth light armour pieces

The empty slots can be filled with any of the available essences (level dependant), there are no current class or quality restrictions. Essences are consumable items that apply a single stat onto the chosen item. These essences are available for 19 different stats, in level forms 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95, and 100. So this looks to be a system that can be enjoyed midway through the game to the cap and does not require a player to be level 100. Each essence comes in three quality variations: uncommon (Minor), rare (Major), incomparable (Greater). Some can also be crafted to produce legendary (Supreme) essences.

The stats available are:
    Agility, Blocking, Critical Defence, Critical Rating, Evasion, Fate, Finesse, Incoming Healing, Might, Morale, Parrying, Physical Mastery, Physical Mitigation, Power, Resistance, Tactical Mastery, Tactical Mitigation, Vitality, and Will.

Slotting an essence is very simple, you right-click on the essence in your inventory and a pop-up will ask you which item to apply it to. The stats are then added to the item in the first empty slot, and when the slots are all full you cannot overwrite any of the essences. If you want to swap any, you can remove all the essences from a single item using an Essence Reclamation Scroll (available in the store - and as a rare drop). So there is a way to swap out essences if you get better ones. It would also seem that you are able to stack essences of the same type on an item.

These essences are not bound, meaning players can trade them freely. This should ease up some of the concerns of it being too 'grindy'. I don't know yet if unslotted items can be traded as well, or if they are bind-on-equip.

Steps of applying an essence to an item

As mentioned above, when applying an essence you cannot overwrite an existing essence. You will have to remove it first.
    Last edited by Galuhad; Jul 20 2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

Here are screenshots of the level 100 essences. Images supplied by Moochi.

and the critted crafted essences...

When you reach level 100, it is possible to barter for an essence box in Dol Amroth at the Essences Quartermaster (74.9s, 71.1w). These award randomly one of four essences, which will be either a rare (approx 75% chance) or incomparable (approx 25% chance) essence. Odds seem to be equal for each type of essence within the quality tier, so chances of getting the exact incomparable essence you want are about 6.25% (or about 1 in 16), and the exact rare essence is about 18.75% (or about 1 in 5).
    Note: Sampled with 500 essence boxes.

The cost of each box is listed beneath the name.

Primary Essence Box
    10x Mason Tokens
    Fighter's Essence Box
    10x Greater Hall Tokens
    Tactician's Essence Box
    10x Docks Tokens
    Vital Essence Box
    10x Armoury Tokens
    Defender's Essence Box
    10x Warehouse Tokens
    Warrior's Essence Box
    10x Bank Tokens
    Healer's Essence Box
    10x Swan-knight Tokens
    Essence Box of Avoidance
    10x Library Tokens
    Agility
    X
    Blocking
    X X
    Critical Defence
    X X
    Critical Rating
    X X
    Evasion
    X X
    Fate
    X X
    Finesse
    X
    Incoming Healing
    X X
    Might
    X
    Morale
    X
    Parrying
    X X
    Physical Mastery
    X X
    Physical Mitigation
    X X
    Power
    X X
    Resistance
    X
    Tactical Mastery
    X X
    Tactical Mitigation
    X X
    Vitality
    X
    Will
    X X
    Last edited by Galuhad; Jul 20 2014 at 12:05 PM.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

Crafted Essences

At the moment these are available at Westemnet tier only, and are bartered for in Dol Amroth at the Quartermaster (74.9s, 71.4w).

The recipes require two new ingredients, the first is a Universal Solvent and the second a rare essence (level 100) of the same stat. The Universal Solvents are available to buy in the store, and as random drops.

Current pricing and batches for the Universal Solvents. These prices are from Bullroarer and do not necessarily reflect the live price.

There are two essences available to craft for each profession, these are:

Cook: Finesse and Vitality
    Jeweller: Fate and Tactical Mitigation
    Metalsmith: Critical Defence and Might
    Scholar: Tactical Mastery and Will
    Tailor: Agility and Physical Mitigation
    Weaponsmith: Physical Mastery and Vitality
    Woodworker: Critical Rating and Fate

Recipes are bartered for with Amroth Silver Pieces (these are mostly earned while questing in Western Gondor).

Recipe prices are as follows:

Reputation Requirement: Ally
    Greater Essence of Tactical Mitigation Recipe - 50 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Finesse Recipe - 50 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Critical Defence Recipe - 50 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Tactical Mastery Recipe - 50 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Physical Mitigation Recipe - 50 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Physical Mastery Recipe - 50 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Critical Rating Recipe - 50 Amroth Silver Pieces

Reputation Requirement: Kindred
    Greater Essence of Might Recipe - 75 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Agility Recipe - 75 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Will Recipe - 75 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Fate Recipe - 75 Amroth Silver Pieces
    Greater Essence of Vitality Recipe - 75 Amroth Silver Pieces

Most of these essences are unique to a particular profession, only Fate and Vitality have two profession choices.
    The recipes produce an incomparable quality essence normally and a legendary essence on critical success.

Below are all the recipes with their normal and critted essences.

Last edited by Galuhad; Jul 20 2014 at 12:07 PM.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

<reserved for future content>
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

Very nice guide, some info on how to acquire the essences would be awesome. I know its from questing but yeah.
    Yelk, Hunter| Rank 15 | Gladden | Leader of Shock and Awe
    Original Challenger of Saruman
    Original Challenger of Gothmog

Quote Originally Posted by YesMaam View Post
    Very nice guide, some info on how to acquire the essences would be awesome. I know its from questing but yeah.
    In theory (according to one of the live-feeds): crafting, questing, group content (traditional and EB), even festivals.

Looks good, but I do wonder whether it's a good idea for essences to stack. For example, a guard who stacked nothing but vitality or mitigation, or whatever. You could have a godmode guard who hits like a wet noodle and standard DPS/heals to support him/her in groups.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    ... Looks good, but I do wonder whether it's a good idea for essences to stack. For example, a guard who stacked nothing but vitality or mitigation, or whatever. You could have a godmode guard who hits like a wet noodle and standard DPS/heals to support him/her in groups.
    Any class, not just guard the stack only 1 stat will not be godmode. Will be lacking so bad on other essential areas that will have big flaws. Remember that each stat, affect more than 1 bonus. Better to think twice before add 4 essence T3 of the same kind to 1 piece.
    Is this Alternate Playable Character Disorder? :

Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    I do wonder whether it's a good idea for essences to stack. For example, a guard who stacked nothing but vitality or mitigation, or whatever. You could have a godmode guard who hits like a wet noodle and standard DPS/heals to support him/her in groups.
    It might make configuring easier for some people. For example, if a player doesn't quite grasp how to effectively balance their stats between all their equipped armour, they could instead use one armour piece for each stat. So instead of spreading will (for light classes) around between all the armour, someone could just put their will essences all into one piece knowing it's covered, then use the other armour for other stats: perhaps vitality, some tactical mastery, mitigations and so on.
    A lot of stats also have caps in place to prevent players becoming way over-powered in one way or another, which should deter players from aiming for pure vitality/mitigation builds and so on.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

Did anyone else notice the Power essences for blue and purple have the same value, that has to be an error.

i would love to see that the 3 headstats on 2-handed lengendary weapons are exchanged with 3 essence slots

maybe someday in the future....

Quote Originally Posted by gloernsmash1 View Post
    Did anyone else notice the Power essences for blue and purple have the same value, that has to be an error.
    Correct me if I'm wrong... I stand corrected.
    Last edited by Rufkin; Jun 16 2014 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it since the power revamp is that our abilities all cost a % of our total power. So if you waste a slot increasing your total power, all you will achieve is an increase of your skills' total power cost. In other words you can still only perform each skill exactly the same number of times as you could before any power increases. Are there any skills that could get an advantage if a player had more power than their baseline?
    It's been stated in the past that the power cost of skills is a percentage of the chars base power pool (the 50/65 power you get per level) and power from traits/items is ignored in that calculation.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Great screen shots and information! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing more about this.
    [IMG]http://www.jerrywagoner.com/galrin_pal2.png[/IMG]
    [B] Level 100 Lore-Master[/B]

More grind to distract players from the lack of content.

Enjoy running the same old instances for essences! Oh! Then there'll be the cash shop, of course!

Made a few changes to the guide with Beta 2. The incomparable power essence has had the power stat changed, and I've added in some info concerning crafted essences.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

Let me just do some simulating then. My main is a champion, so I want as much Physical Mastery and Crit rating as I can get, and whatever is left, I'll put into Vit / Morale. From the numbers I see on the screenies, there's basically no point slotting base stats - the rating essences are way better.

So for an armour piece I would aim for Physical mastery (1075 PM straight is better than 119 x 8 = 952 PM from Might essence), Crit rating (1075) and Morale (765 morale straight is better than 119 x 3 = 357 Morale from Vitality essence).

Assuming purple essences then, I won't grind 100 Fangorn leaves for a recipe for one essence - 6 armour pieces times 4 slots would mean 2400 leaves... ummm... half a year? Hell no.

My armour piece would look something like this then:

+119 might (base stat on item)
    +1075 PM (essence)
    +1075 Crit (essence)
    +1075 Crit (essence)
    +765 Morale (essence)

I would prolly place Tact Mit on 1 or 2 pieces instead of the second crit rating.

Overall I like where this is going. The only concern I have is that there seems to be one optimal way of doing it (with slight variations for Moors maybe), so it will still be cookie-cutter anyway.

At the moment there are only 2 Armourpieces with sockets. Helmet an Hands. So there maximum 8 slots you can use.

Greetings Skor

Crafting items missing

I'm not working level 100 stuff at the moment, however I notice in your list of Crafted Essences, there seem to be several missing.

* Blocking
    * Evasion
    * Incoming healing
    * Morale
    * Parrying
    * Power
    * Resistance

Are theses simply oversights on your "data collection" or are they missing in-game?
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    I'm not working level 100 stuff at the moment, however I notice in your list of Crafted Essences, there seem to be several missing.

* Blocking
    * Evasion
    * Incoming healing
    * Morale
    * Parrying
    * Power
    * Resistance

Are theses simply oversights on your "data collection" or are they missing in-game?
    Hi,

No it wasn't an oversight, at present there are no recipes available to craft those essences. I don't know if they are planned to be added later perhaps, but at the moment we only have the recipes listed in the guide.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

Thanks for the guide, Galuhad!

I only wonder what took Turbine so long to deliver this kind of customizable gear. Ever since the LI came out I've been waiting for something like this to come up.

I'm glad to see the difference between yellow and teal/gold is effectively meaningless. I wont feel to the need to have top tier stuff, just as with the current top tier LI relics. Oh boy, 20 more of one stat! Joy!

Edit: Didn't realize this was in the Player Created Guides and FAQs section so if critiques on the system are out of place please just delete this comment.
    You gotta chill to take it to the next level.

onodrim

How does a fully level 100 essenced item compare to a level 95 onodrim?

I noticed today with Build 4 that the essences icons have little numbers in their upper left corner.

From mob drops in Abedec's Watch - They have been either a 6 or a 7 -- but otherwise their descriptions seem to be the same.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

that bright star in the constelation of Vela
    Good job and thx for putting this up
    MOORS: HUNTER R11, WARG R9
    BE NOT FEARFUL OF DEATH FOR IT WILL LEAD YOU TO AN EVEN GREATER ADVENTURE,
    AS LIFE IT SELF IS A JOURNEY TO DEATH AND ONE WHICH WE MUST ALL TAKE.... LIVE GOOD, FIGHT HARD, DIE WELL.

Now we just need confirmation on whether the gold 5 slot essence armors are already in the game and how to acquire them before undertaking the massive grind to barter for and heavily customize the teal armor from Dol Amroth (let alone acquire all the removal scrolls to migrate all those shiny gold essences).

If the past is any indication we can expect they will be extremely rare drops from the same old scaled content that has already been run to death but we'll just have to do it anyway, while the RNG laughs at our dedication and rewards casuals with epic gear on their first try.
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RqKkWdz.jpg[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast