We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Big Battles - Still not feeling it, could use advice

Hey There,

I’m looking for advice from anyone who had trouble getting into Big Battles, but found a way to enjoy them.

I understand the intent of this system and I think in the scope of HD they made sense as a way to experience the epic moments of the Helm’s Deep Battle, but regardless of which one I do or how many times I do it, it always feels like a really, really long defensive skirmish (with a few side goals).

A lot of effort went into the building of this system and considering that now even trait points are tethered to the ongoing use of this mechanic it is clear that Big Battles are not going away. With this in mind how do others that have found themselves feeling this way figured out a way to undertake, and more importantly enjoy, spending time in this system.

Like many other players my continued motivation is the ongoing progress of my character, and I’m concerned that not wanting to utilize this system will end up hurting that progress. Granted 2 trait points are not really all that much, but if this trend continues in future expansions it could start to make a difference.

Thanks in advance for the comments…
    [IMG]http://www.jerrywagoner.com/galrin_pal2.png[/IMG]
    [B] Level 100 Lore-Master[/B]

I got over my initial total hatred when I learned the tactics & mechanics and had some ranks so I was able to actually do something..

Now with my zero bad attitude towards these bb's im at the point where I am able to do them on all chars to the point I get the jewels I want
    and trait points.

But for me to see these as a fun way to spend some time and play with friends, no matter if I could not get any reward anymore, not going to happen.

Rule #1
    Try to do them with other people as much as possible. Even with the solo/duo ones, they're much easier with two people, and you will learn a lot of strategies by just playing with other people. Besides, if you want the 200 promotion points, you'll need to group with people on the larger ones regardless.

Don't just a book by it's cover, in this case, you need to get a couple chapters (ranks) in. Rank 3 of engineer allows you to actually do things, rank 3 of officer lets you actually do things that matter. Rank 5 of both let's you be effective (admittedly, you are halfway through the book in investment at this point).

However rank three come from just running through them a couple to few times. Even less if with someone rank 6+ with you.
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Ranks help, but for me; what I like most is that the battle roles are distinct from our class roles. Here we are disguised and act as Rohirrim in the kinds of roles 'heroes' would have in parts of set-piece battles with a known outcome for each part. For me, our class roles should be suppressed, even as dps (ie Vanguard). I find being a role player rewarding versus being a class player. In other words, take on the role of a squad/platoon leader, a battle engineer, or a morale officer.

Also, if you're going in as a scaled up character, try to get a partner for the 'solo' spaces. They really were balanced for duos. That said, some classes at 95 can still get good merit scores for some side quests.

The strategies and tactics vary from space to space and from group size to group size. Read up on them or get an experienced (see the post about someone being 6+) to show you the ropes.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

I played BB for 5 minutes and hated it so much I stopped. Would anyone be able to tell me if I can just skip the rest of the epic story in Helm's Deep like I quit Volume 2 in Moria with no consequences?

Seriously, I hate the gimmicks like mounted combat and Big Battles, I just want to quest.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by webrender View Post
    Hey There,

I’m looking for advice from anyone who had trouble getting into Big Battles, but found a way to enjoy them.

I understand the intent of this system and I think in the scope of HD they made sense as a way to experience the epic moments of the Helm’s Deep Battle, but regardless of which one I do or how many times I do it, it always feels like a really, really long defensive skirmish (with a few side goals).

A lot of effort went into the building of this system and considering that now even trait points are tethered to the ongoing use of this mechanic it is clear that Big Battles are not going away. With this in mind how do others that have found themselves feeling this way figured out a way to undertake, and more importantly enjoy, spending time in this system.

Like many other players my continued motivation is the ongoing progress of my character, and I’m concerned that not wanting to utilize this system will end up hurting that progress. Granted 2 trait points are not really all that much, but if this trend continues in future expansions it could start to make a difference.

Thanks in advance for the comments…

I never learned to like them. However the 2 trait points was enough of a motivation to get me to play them on my 4 main toons just long enough to get the 2 trait points.