We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Hobbit: BOFA Smaug's Death

I just had a thought. What if, since everything about the destruction of Lake Town is set up and fairly obvious with Smaug's anger and the windlance and everything, we will still get a surprise! I think that it's possible that Bard will fight Smaug with the windlance, but misses. Then, he pulls out his bow and takes the shot that makes us all love him. It would fit perfectly with the story, appease all the book fans, and give Bard all the renown he needs for the negotiations later. Does anyone else think that could happen?

I don't think it's possible to appease the book fans. Seriously, a wind lance? I understand that movies have to change things because it's a different audience, but I think PJ went too far with a wind lance.

Maybe if I had never read the book I could be happy with the changes.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Quote Originally Posted by MoxieMe View Post
    t's possible that Bard will fight Smaug with the windlance, but misses. Then, he pulls out his bow and takes the shot that makes us all love him. It would fit perfectly with the story, appease all the book fans, and give Bard all the renown he needs for the negotiations later.
    I, for one, would be much happier if that happened. I want Bard to demonstrate exceptional skill of his own, not merely the ability to press a button so that a self-guided missile can do all the work.

BTW, "windlass" is just a term for the type of cranking device used on some large crossbows and ballistae to draw the string (also frequently used for reeling in lines on sailing vessels). It is not, itself, a type of weapon. However, they might be referring to the weapon that way because it's shorter than saying "that big crossbow that has a windlass on it".

(Or do they actually call it the "Windlance"? If so, then please disregard the above comment. I'll have to check the movie when I get it on disc.)

I think it's actually "Windlance". I've seen the movie in German and there it was called "Windlanze", what's the German word for that.

Plus, I don't think the huge arrow is self-guided, or Brand's father wouldn't have missed. If you watch the memory-sequence you see the older man (can't remember his name) aiming at Smaug through some aiming mechanism. Just that he failed...
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~