We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Impressions of my first day (returning player)

The graphics were a shock! I'm coming from Elder Scrolls Online so LoTRO felt so old. Well it is, if I consider I played it back in 2007. But after half an hour I was used to them once more and could appreciate an old style landscape bringing back nostalgia.

I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 years worth of gifts in my inventory and thrilled for the festive azure dress and horse. There was also over 2k points to spend in the store so I unlocked straight away the riding skill. I'm keeping my points for questing packs, I have Moria from I dunno when years ago but never played it. I started fresh, new elven minstrel named Muinel (beloved in Sindarin if I am not mistaken), cute as a button and already level 14 with no death. They dumbed down the game right? Or buffed the classes because I remember dying and never being able to get The Undying title back then hehee. Leveling feels way faster also but I guess that's ok because the level cap is what 95 now?

I barely saw anyone in Ered Luin, all chats were 100% quiet and that made me hope to join a guild rapidly for some chatty company while I catch up. I'm on Landroval so send me a tell if you are new/returning player friendly (I'm not looking for stuff just making friends).

I'm was boggled by the virtue trait panel but realized I was unlocking them by using my skills so I am using 2 now (is it worth buying the third one?). Nothing unlocked for my race trait yet, have to kill more goblins! Class traits are fine I went DPS until I get at a level when grouping happens often then I'll go full healer.

Overall, very happy, I'm playing a bit more tonight to finish my deeds. Not concerned about loot or gold, the game seems to provide with quested gear. I'll try to make some sense of my skills too, but right now everything I press that screams yaaaaaa! kills something, it feels too OP even if I'm trying to do white/yellow quests. Maybe investing in a level lock thingie would give more challenge? Or maybe I'll simply have it easy until I reach the higher levels

Really enjoying myself, I should have return way earlier. I realized that somethimes old games offer more then the shiny pretty new ones who often feel bareboned. Years of expansions and development is like time for a good wine for mmorpg's.

Anyway, Game on guys and gals, and feel free to send a message to Muinel (dunno my char restriction as a premium though).

Quote Originally Posted by Chlyo View Post
    The graphics were a shock! I'm coming from Elder Scrolls Online so LoTRO felt so old. Well it is, if I consider I played it back in 2007. But after half an hour I was used to them once more and could appreciate an old style landscape bringing back nostalgia.

I was pleasantly surprised to find 6 years worth of gifts in my inventory and thrilled for the festive azure dress and horse. There was also over 2k points to spend in the store so I unlocked straight away the riding skill. I'm keeping my points for questing packs, I have Moria from I dunno when years ago but never played it. I started fresh, new elven minstrel named Muinel (beloved in Sindarin if I am not mistaken), cute as a button and already level 14 with no death. They dumbed down the game right? Or buffed the classes because I remember dying and never being able to get The Undying title back then hehee. Leveling feels way faster also but I guess that's ok because the level cap is what 95 now?

I barely saw anyone in Ered Luin, all chats were 100% quiet and that made me hope to join a guild rapidly for some chatty company while I catch up. I'm on Landroval so send me a tell if you are new/returning player friendly (I'm not looking for stuff just making friends).

I'm was boggled by the virtue trait panel but realized I was unlocking them by using my skills so I am using 2 now (is it worth buying the third one?). Nothing unlocked for my race trait yet, have to kill more goblins! Class traits are fine I went DPS until I get at a level when grouping happens often then I'll go full healer.

Overall, very happy, I'm playing a bit more tonight to finish my deeds. Not concerned about loot or gold, the game seems to provide with quested gear. I'll try to make some sense of my skills too, but right now everything I press that screams yaaaaaa! kills something, it feels too OP even if I'm trying to do white/yellow quests. Maybe investing in a level lock thingie would give more challenge? Or maybe I'll simply have it easy until I reach the higher levels

Really enjoying myself, I should have return way earlier. I realized that somethimes old games offer more then the shiny pretty new ones who often feel bareboned. Years of expansions and development is like time for a good wine for mmorpg's.

Anyway, Game on guys and gals, and feel free to send a message to Muinel (dunno my char restriction as a premium though).
    Welcome back to LOTRO!

1. I am on Withywindle so I cant help you out kinship (LOTRO guild) wise, but I can help you out about communication on a global scale.
    First of all, you will not see very many people in any starter zone because there is only one for each race, therefore you will only see about 1/4 of all characters created at the beginning.
    To get your global communication, you will need to join a global channel. It is GLFF for your server I believe so do /join channel GLFF to enter it. There you will see all the chat and spam you could ask for . Regional channels are rarely used.

2. About the game being easier than before, it is. There was a large drop in difficulty when the last expansion was released and most classes are still op. Turbine is slowly moving the difficulty scale back up however, and there are areas of the game where you will find it very hard.

3. The cap is 95 right now and will soon be 100 in a few weeks.

My personal advice to anyone starting LOTRO is to always read the quest text. The devs spent a lot of time on it and it really makes a good story.

Good luck and have fun in Middle Earth!
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post

My personal advice to anyone starting LOTRO is to always read the quest text. The devs spent a lot of time on it and it really makes a good story.
    That's so true. Love the epic book quest lines, it's like a good book, you never quite know what's coming next since there is much more to LotR than you ever thought. Lots of great characters with interesting stories to tell.

Great post.

I am newly returning after three years off, and I hadn't gotten far then. Thought it was a nice game, but just got distracted by another game, then another, then another...

It does feel somewhat easier. But coming from that larger MMO-which-shall-remain-un-named (which is now so easy to play that it is almost pointless) it seems about right.

Beautiful game, friendly and helpful community (Brandywine here) and a nice balance between action and gathering/ crafting. Glad I came back!
    Last edited by Daffidyll; Jun 24 2014 at 12:05 PM.

Difficulty is of course personal, and the devs are always working on balancing things. The first few levels are not that hard, then the difficulty increases a little. If you want a challenge, try to go ahead to an area 3-4 levels above your level (:
    Just adding that in a couple of weeks, with the next update, there's going to be a server-wide chat channel (/world). I guess that's going to be a bit more chatty than the regional channels I do hope you find yourself a nice kinship, that really makes this a great game to play!
    "Not all those who wander are lost" ~ FotR
    Evernight: Faratalath (100 Hunter), Dorthar (76 Minstrel), Tardaros (42 Captain) and many more