We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Great news about Epic Battles... Aggro is changing

In the dev round table today, it was said that aggro mechanics would be changed on BBs.
    If you attack a mob before he reaches his target, he will attack you. I am not sure this will come with U14 or later. Although they did say something about U14 in relation to BBs at a similar time.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

I think that this is definitely a step in the right direction, but would like to see a fraction of the mobs that will attack you, even if you do jot attack them. Like if you are taking down a ladder and one of these mobs comes up it, he will attack you.
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

I play a LM, I definitely do NOT want the mobs to auto-attack me... that's why there's all those soldiers in front of me on the wall....

I will be happy to help debuff them but I'm not interested in doing mano-a-mano with those big trolls.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Well, if this comes true tanking will become interesting for BB.
    Protecting primary objectives would be much easier.
    But it could be harder to stay alive for light armor classes.

www.Sternenheer.eu
    [IMG]http://s14.directupload.net/images/130201/fuv65lba.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://s14.directupload.net/images/121115/8p7megf7.png[/IMG]

Wow! Really?

I don't know why they have introduced this now. BB's have been designed around the current system.

This change would finally make the Vanguard line useful, however I bet it breaks far more than it fixes!

If you are a squishy class and happen to be in the wrong time at the wrong place you are going to get insta-gibbeted!

How would this work with some side quests like Spider Assault? If you stand in the cave entrance and AoE would that mean that no spiders would ever reach the crystal?

Who needs barricades in duo's anymore? Just get your friend to stand near the spawn point and rain balista shots down on them (since there is no friendly fire).

I could go on but I'm sure more interesting stories will come out of beta testing.
    [SIZE=3]NO SLEEP 'TILL MORDOR!![/SIZE]

Great new!

Quote Originally Posted by q945 View Post
    Wow! Really?
    If you are a squishy class and happen to be in the wrong time at the wrong place you are going to get insta-gibbeted!
    Nothing wrong with an element of danger. That is precisely what BBs lack at the moment.

Shumzuda R11 Blackarrow - Shumheals R6 Defiler - Shumzud R6 Warg Beardhug R9 Champion - Majeika R8 LM - Chuffnel Burglar
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by q945 View Post
    Wow! Really?

I don't know why they have introduced this now. BB's have been designed around the current system.

This change would finally make the Vanguard line useful, however I bet it breaks far more than it fixes!

How would this work with some side quests like Spider Assault? If you stand in the cave entrance and AoE would that mean that no spiders would ever reach the crystal?

Who needs barricades in duo's anymore? Just get your friend to stand near the spawn point and rain balista shots down on them (since there is no friendly fire).

I could go on but I'm sure more interesting stories will come out of beta testing.
    I dont know how Turbine will address all of these issues but some of them I can clear up.

As it has been announced, mobs will only attack you if you attack them before they reach their target. So if the squishy lets them run by he will be fine.

Mobs with specific assignments will continue to thise assignments like sappers and these spiders. *not 100% sure I heard this right but this is how I think it was said.

(/sarcasm on). Isnt that working with your class? AoE attacks are some classes specialty and hunters can shoot them down with their big crossbow (/sarcasm off) I do not know what they will do about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    I dont know how Turbine will address all of these issues but some of them I can clear up.

As it has been announced, mobs will only attack you if you attack them before they reach their target. So if the squishy lets them run by he will be fine.

Mobs with specific assignments will continue to thise assignments like sappers and these spiders. *not 100% sure I heard this right but this is how I think it was said.

(/sarcasm on). Isnt that working with your class? AoE attacks are some classes specialty and hunters can shoot them down with their big crossbow (/sarcasm off) I do not know what they will do about this.
    In the 2013 PC the discussions were about making Vanguard viable and moving some of the other options to other roles as nearly everyone chose Engineer as a role.

There were discussions about allowing classes to use their skills rather than have nearly nothing work, as in many mobs died well before a class skill went off. I have no idea what the 2014 PC discussed about this of course and I am not doing BR testing.

I would hope that the new version will be "mindful" of the each class type. A LM tosses an AOE debuff which on the landscape will draw the aggro; it's not the same as a hunter doing Rain of Thorns and the response will hopefully be different. LM AOE debuffs are a pre-fight debuffs that allows the melee and ranged to do more damage or take less damage.

So, given I have a lack of information about how this works for each class and under what circumstances, I supposed I can still stand in the back and read a book while the BB is happening around me.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

This sounds interesting. I went on BR to test it out. I did Helms Dike. For the normal mobs I pulled nothing. I am a hunter so I went to the front of the line and tagged the mobs first. None of them peeled off and attacked me. Same boring thing as before. I thought maybe the side quests. The statue quest would be a good test of this. I think maybe I pulled 1 mob off. I could not take aggro from any trolls. Now either this change is not included in 14 build or it does not work. I am hoping that the changes are not introduced. Something has to make epic battle interesting. My desire to play LOTRO dies a little bit every time I play an EB.
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyx View Post
    This sounds interesting. I went on BR to test it out. I did Helms Dike. For the normal mobs I pulled nothing. I am a hunter so I went to the front of the line and tagged the mobs first. None of them peeled off and attacked me. Same boring thing as before. I thought maybe the side quests. The statue quest would be a good test of this. I think maybe I pulled 1 mob off. I could not take aggro from any trolls. Now either this change is not included in 14 build or it does not work. I am hoping that the changes are not introduced. Something has to make epic battle interesting. My desire to play LOTRO dies a little bit every time I play an EB.
    It is not in the current build

Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    In the 2013 PC the discussions were about making Vanguard viable and moving some of the other options to other roles as nearly everyone chose Engineer as a role.
    I'll pass tyvm. I trait all engineer in one trait slot and all officer in another trait slot and then change trait slots on the fly. This works well enough for me, I have absolutely zero need for a vanguard line.

If turbine try to railroad me into buying a third trait slot I will just walk away from BB's (which I'm not running at the moment anyway, since they aren't fun, have random rewards and I got everything I could want from them already, excluding marginal benefit gold items).
    [SIZE=3]NO SLEEP 'TILL MORDOR!![/SIZE]

So if I solo on a light, I don't attack anything until it's too late and the mobs are already at the sidequest, like the debris and spiders ones? The only way my RK can deal with the trolls is because they ignore her. In the caves, it would mean I can't let Gimli tank while I burn down the new waves of mob commanders because I'll pull all the other mobs? (This is the only way to solo this until you rank an engineer and can move the barricades, otherwise Gimli gets overwhelmed.) Does it mean heal threat is back here too?

I really do have every sympathy with tanks needing some threat management in here so they can play their class a bit, but what about squishies with no threat management tools because they were called 'skill bloat' and taken away? This is another dumb side effect of changing the threat mechanics to dps based ones. The old system may have been messy under the hood but it worked for us players just fine. And we are the ones who pay the devs' salaries. Now we have multiple classes and instances borked for a simpler system designed solely to make the game development easier on the new developers GRRRRR!!!

Can't get into Beta ( it will take me hours to patch due to fail internet connection this wekend) so I'd love someone to test this mechanic on a squishy when it is implemented.
    Last edited by yvandriel; Jun 14 2014 at 04:44 AM.

I'm tired to see a raid with 12 Engineers putting traps and barricides everywhere, sometimes switching to Officer for to change weapon types and target priority or throw some heals then switching back to Engineer for more traps and barricides. The current whole BB system is now too favor Engineer and a bit of Officer, leaving Vanguard no place to use.

Vanguard defintely needs improvement a lot, to be more useful at the front line.
    [I]"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends"[/I] - [B]Gandalf[/B]

It is not in the current build
    Good to know.
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....