We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

defeat yellowfang

Just started this quest in the Old Forest and I must say I'm at a loss as to how to move about. It seems that I am unable to get to where I want to go. I've killed some of the other wolves and found yellowfang via the track ability at least to get a red marker on the minimap to show WHERE yllowfang is...but I am unable to get to that location. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbilsrcute View Post
    Just started this quest in the Old Forest and I must say I'm at a loss as to how to move about. It seems that I am unable to get to where I want to go. I've killed some of the other wolves and found yellowfang via the track ability at least to get a red marker on the minimap to show WHERE yllowfang is...but I am unable to get to that location. What am I doing wrong?
    You aren't doing anything wrong, you just have to follow the paths until you figure it out. He's there and you can get to him, or if you are super frustrated turn the graphic settings to super low and you'll be able to see where you are going much better.

I'm trying to follow the paths but don't seem to be able to get where I need to be. I will try what you said about lowering the graphics setting and see if that helps,

You're a Hunter... Use Passage of Nature to track it down.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    You're a Hunter... Use Passage of Nature to track it down.
    Ummm...I DID. As I said I couldn't seem to GO where it was showing it to be. But as the first poster said I will try lowering the graphics setting to see if that helps. Just won't have a chance to try it out until tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Here's a decent map of The Old Forest if you wish to use one:

http://www.thebrasse.com/maps/lotro-oldforest_rev2.jpg

It's fairly up to date. I used it for a new alt a couple of months ago nad it seemed pretty accurate. (The Brasse left LOTRO several years ago, but kept the maps on the site.)
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    [url]http://www.theoldergamers.com[/url]

The Old Forest and the Dolven View(mid 50s level area) in Moria are two mazes that just take getting used to. Be patient and you'll get it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    [I][FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#ffff00]Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Yellowfang only shows after you have killed all the other wolves

The wolves are in 3 places when you start the instance

On entry to instance....

Group 1 are to the left up a hill
    Group 2 are ahead in a clearing
    Group 3 are to the right

of where Gytha is standing

Once killed, Yellowfang will spawn in any one of these
    I have usually found it spawns where G1 or G3 were

So all you need is to go back to where you killed them

Thanks that is all very helpful info especially knowing he spawns in an area I've BEEN to. While trying to track him on the minimap I kept thinking he was in another area that for some reason I couldn't get to. Knowing this hopefully I will have better luck when I try tonight.

Another question though are you supposed to be able to get to sll ares of the map for this quest? If wanted to? I was only able to get to the same 3 ares which is why thought was missing something.

Thanks that is all very helpful info especially knowing he spawns in an area I've BEEN to. While trying to track him on the minimap I kept thinking he was in another area that for some reason I couldn't get to. Knowing this hopefully I will have better luck when I try tonight.

Another question though are you supposed to be able to get to sll ares of the map for this quest? If wanted to? I was only able to get to the same 3 ares which is why thought was missing something.
    It has been a long time, but if I remember correctly, those are the only 3 areas you can get to in the instance.

The level 15 Hunter class quest is an instanced version of the Old Forest and you are only able to get to part of the area. It's been awhile since I did this quest, but I recall moving away from the NPC and going downhill a bit with what I think is Bald Hill on the right. Pretty sure you don't have to kill the other wolves to get Yellowfand to appear, but it does help to clear some out first, because wolves near him will attack you when you start firing on him if I recall correctly. Hope this helps a bit.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Thanks all of you for your help. Was able to successfully complete this quest tonight!

Thanks all of you for your help. Was able to successfully complete this quest tonight!
    Enjoy the game, first few times through are pretty cool.

old forest is to tough, I gave up

Something to keep in mind with regards to LotRO's maps: they're representative, not accurate.

What I mean is that the various terrain and landmarks are approximately located where the map indicates. So you can get into the vicinity, but might not have a clear, step-by-step, and obvious route to any given point.

However the maps do not show every nook and cranny, all the walkable land, nor clearly indicates the end of usable terrain. This is particularly true for large scale maps. Generally, maps of a closer scale are more accurate, but some areas are designed to be confusing and/or misleading. The Old Forest and most of Moria (Dolven View, Foundations of Stone, Redhorn Lodes, etc) are of this latter type.

With that said, you would be surprised how, with a bit of careful movement and a lot of repetition, you can quickly learn how to get through these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelwyn View Post
    old forest is to tough, I gave up
    You should have seen it 6-7 years a go... It was truly scary to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasagabaster View Post
    You should have seen it 6-7 years a go... It was truly scary to say the least.
    And you didn't have the detailed map you have now, just the Breeland area map. They never should have changed it, the Old Forest is supposed to be confusing and scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    And you didn't have the detailed map you have now, just the Breeland area map. They never should have changed it, the Old Forest is supposed to be confusing and scary.
    And Moria is supposed to be dark and terrifying.

But alas. . .