We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vol III Book 3 Chap 10: Echoes of the dead

Has somebody an idea how to finish this quest? Near the end I am supposed to run back from Britou to Radanir and ask him for a trip home. Unfortunately I am followed by a dozend pretty angry ghosts and therefore I am in combat. I have heard, before the last update it was possible to talk to Radanir even while in combat and so to escape. This does not work any more. (Patch note: You will no longer be able to complete a quest by talking to an NPC or by using the remote-bestow quest completion button while you are in combat. This will prevent certain exploits.)

Another solution I have heard is to feign death. But I don't think that my human lore master has any skill for this.

Can't you kill the ghosts? (I haven't done this quest since the change; I always ran through)
    [size=1][i]A spaceship from another star / They ask me where all the people are
    I tell them I'm the only one / There was a war, but I must have won[/i][/size]

You have to kill em now. No more easy mode finish by running to the NPC and getting out.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    You have to kill em now. No more easy mode finish by running to the NPC and getting out.
    When I tried to do that recently the mob's health bar would go down ~2/3s, turn green, and then replenish. The only way I could finish this was to drop combat by flopping.

Suggest the OP bug this if they are seeing the same behaviour.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    Not sure that this will work. If I remember right, the text of the quest changed to 'flieht' (I use the German client and 'fliehen'='escape'). Whenever this text appears in another instance, e.g. The Fall of Moria or Before the Doors of Durin it means run away, don't try to fight the Balrog or the Watcher.

I somehow hate just to try it again without knowing what to do at the end. It is just soooo boring to fight an endless count of waves of ghosts before you reach the end...

Submit a bug report citing the change in Update 11.1 and pointing out that this makes the old epic quest impossible to complete as originally intended.

You could try submitting a help request offering the same information. While GMs are usually good about helping you past known glitches, this may be too new for them to be informed of it. I'm not sure how much freedom the GMs have to take measures in cases like this, but it can't hurt to ask.

After playing a little in Wildermore, and seeing how the game now handles Auto-bestowed quests (i.e. by design you cannot turn in the quest whilst in the combat state), I'm reasonably sure (83%) this new bug is related to this new mechanism.

HTH

In the meantime, get a GM to advance you past the quest as others have suggested. I can confirm that the Hobbit racial flop skill will enable you to break the combat state and advance the quest. If you have any kind of aggro dump skill you could give that a whirl.

I had problems with this instance just a few days ago, until a kinmember helped me. The trick is to fight the ghosts until they are "defeated" (but not killed since you can't kill them), and then it takes a little while before they engage combat again. During this time, you run to the next group of enemies. The past group will not follow you since you are not near enough to engage them. This way you defeat one group at the time. It's hard to explain in a good way :P Just fight the boss first, and when he resets, run away before he starts to fight again, and do so with all the other groups. It might be hard to do if you are alone, in case you can't kill one ghost in the group before another one is engaged again. We were two and the other was a lvl 85 so it was no problem for us.
    Hope this helps.

Basically, Turbine, by "fixing" an exploit (I've seen claims that it was using the Festival quest advance to escape defeat in the Ettenmoors), broke this quest.

Yes, playing dead will get the ghosts to go away.

It is possible that having one or more volunteers for a suicide mission to grab the agro far enough from the Ranger at the exit so that when he dies, the character by the Ranger will go out of combat.

The real solution is for Turbine to isolate the "you can't turn in quests while in combat" to the Ettenmoors so that the spillover from PvMP stops adversely affecting PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    The real solution is for Turbine to isolate the "you can't turn in quests while in combat" to the Ettenmoors so that the spillover from PvMP stops adversely affecting PvE.
    Good luck with that.
    [IMG]http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z434/spance76/thrag_zps674d7c88.jpg[/IMG]

I did the same quest a couple of days ago, and indeed, you now need to defeat each group of enemies and move on before they reset... And you need to kill the whole group pretty much at the same time, or some of them will reset and you'll have an endless fight on your hands. I pulled it off on the second try (after getting roflstomped on the first), using Silvan Shadows to sneak past the last and biggest group.

Not yet sure how to get through this on my human cappy - if there's no GM around, I might try going to Forochel and getting the http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...e%3A_Lesson_13

And it's such a tedious instance too. <.<
    Last edited by Cithien; Jun 24 2013 at 06:12 AM.

What you need to do is get a few on you and run back. Attack one till it's health bar turns green, he will stop fighting, run away so you are far enough for him not to reengage you when he recovers, target the next one, rinse and repeat. Whalla, you are not in combat when you reach Radanir.

I just did it like this yesterday and it worked fine.

I love stuff like this, makes you think, not just the same old hack and slash over and over. My hats off to Turbine for mixing it up like this, please add more unique twists.

I did the instance a few days back, and i failed the first time. The second time i ran back to the point where Radanir is the moment Candaith says to Britou HOLD! and that he is the heir of Isildur. Don't wait for the dialogue to end to run, because that is when the evil spirits appear, but if you run before the dialogue ends the way is clear. You have to wait a few seconds for Radanir to appear (he appears when the evil spirits do) and then you can talk to him and finish the instance.

This is definitely the easiest way to do it, so thanks a lot, Intyalle! It's such a pity that we once again have some novelty to fix an exploit or a problem that causes a whole other lot of problems ...
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

I'm just a few quests away from this one with my main team, so I read this thread with interest and thanks to the contributors.

With the latest patch notes including this from Sapience:
    In Update 11.1 to prevent exploits, we prevented all advancement of quests by talking to an NPC while you are in combat. This caused some difficulties in certain instances, so you will now be allowed to advance a quest up to the last objective while in combat by talking to an NPC, but you still will not be able to finish the quest until you leave combat.
    I'm not sure whether this will solve the problem or not - as talking to Radanir appears be the last objective. I think I'll still run back as soon as Candaith says "Hold" just in case!

Update:

I followed all the advice and it worked - thank you . Trouble is I couldn't get out - I went all the way to the exit which was flashing with one of those hologram-like thingummies but it wouldn't let me through - then I realised I must have missed Radanir so went back and talked to him without getting mobbed.

A point to add is that Candaith isn't tremendously tough for a ranger and doesn't seem to heal himself. In a similar way to the instance a few quests beforehand you have to make sure you take most of the aggro otherwise the ranger will get killed and the quest fail.

This is still bugged...what total BS!

There is an easy trick to end this instance without having to fight anything on the way back to Radanir.

As soon as the waves of enemies summoned by Britou have been killed, you can run away towards the entrance. Candaith will shout "Hold", that is your trigger. While you are running away the script continues, you don't have to be close for the events to unfold. As soon as the script ends Radanir will appear at the entrance and you can talk to him. You won't even be near any spawned ghosts and never enter combat.

Nothing but aggravation! If it was not for this thread i would be besides myself with anger. As the other posters have stated, as soon as you see HOLD!, turn around and run back, when he appears you will not be in combat and can escape.
    Paladiran 100 Hunter, r10; Leeafe 100 Lore-master, r1, Agrro 100 Minstrel, r5, Gaarrd 100 Guardian, Valann 100 Captain, Elvwing 100 Rune-keeper, Sneakky 100 Burglar, Chaamp 100 Champion. Shifta 100 Beorning, Heeals 83 Minstrel (Crickhollow)

HOLD!

Yes, this is the trigger. I swear it wasn't like this more than a year ago. As soon as Candaith says HOLD, run back to where Radanir will appear after a few seconds and exit. There is no need at all to make yourself crazy by trying to kill the oathbreakers, playing dead or sneaking past. I also agree that Candaith is pretty poor at defending himself and runs out of power quickly. These Rangers have a lot to answer for.
    Last edited by Octaviane; Oct 26 2013 at 03:34 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

Except it isn't bugged. All of the options are explained above.. I don't get the calling it a bug...

Quote Originally Posted by Solyrys View Post
    Except it isn't bugged. All of the options are explained above.. I don't get the calling it a bug...
    Just because there's a work around for the problem, does not mean that the problem does not exist. The quest does not currently work as intended.

You're supposed to stay by Candaith's side, until told to run. You're supposed to make a mad dash to the exit. You're not supposed to actually fight the Oath-Breakers, since they spring back into action 2 seconds later.

The fact that you can't advance the quest when you get back to the entrance, if you're in combat, IS an unexpected bug of the 'fix' that stopped Freeps in the Moors from completing quests, that port to a destination, to escape losing battles.

Hey guys is this still an issue? I'm about to embark upon this instance and would like to know beforehand if possible so I don't do any unnecessary sprinting to the exit.

I was able to run to the exit when I did it a month or so ago and got out of the instance successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    Basically, Turbine, by "fixing" an exploit (I've seen claims that it was using the Festival quest advance to escape defeat in the Ettenmoors), broke this quest.

Yes, playing dead will get the ghosts to go away.

It is possible that having one or more volunteers for a suicide mission to grab the agro far enough from the Ranger at the exit so that when he dies, the character by the Ranger will go out of combat.

It wasn't just in PvMP - it was also to prevent PvE players running into a particular mob-infested area, handing in a quest and then running away without having to kill the mobs. An irritating change on some occasions, to be sure, but a probably necessary one to get us to play content as it was intended.

As for the instance in question, is it not possible to kill the mobs to the green stage, run to the next set, and then leave the ones you were previously fighting where they were? Or does that not work? Admittedly the last time I did this instance was before the combat completion change, so I can't attest to this actually working.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Tolvax, Champion - And others...
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast