We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 426

Thread: Beorning notes

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    6,126
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreBrand View Post
    I'm not looking for wide-eyed innocence, but rather a progression from the simple to the complex. The beornings could start from a simpler frontier life and that could include dealing with some goblins, wargs, and wildlife. I think what I have in mind is more about the small world of a character expanding out to bigger things than themselves and where they started. It is them realizing their world is connected in a much bigger and messier way to things way out of their control. That gives a scaling progression to the personal story.

    I agree it couldn't start out as basic as Breelanders or Shire-folk because they're not a simple people. I do think there needs to be an introduction, as you point out, and an expanding progression to the story. I'm also kind of curious how they will fit into the Book I epic deed chain.
    The point is that skin-changers are in concept a 'powerful' character, so that excludes wimpy examples; your 'simple' Beornings would be just ordinary Northmen who followed Beorn and his son, rather than being from among the skin-changers who were actually descended from Beorn. The Beornings had always had large concerns, having to deal with Orcs and Wargs from the Misty Mountains as well as the corruption of Mirkwood and the evil that lurked in Dol Guldur. That was quite enough for anyone to have to worry about.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    554
    I too would like to start this new class at level 1, I see no point in rushing to level 95, I already have 7 characters there with nothing to do. I don't see any need for a new starter area if Turbine haven't got the resources to build one, but forcing us to start at 50 is a bad decision, people should be given the choice!

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Coimbra
    Posts
    38
    IMO, the argument that since they are used to attacks from orc-kind, the Beornings would start at lvl50 instead of lvl1. That being said, my preference would still go to a lvl1 in a new starter zone.
    The Champion of Eriador, Man-at-Arms Melvargil Eaglewing, Lord of the Ashen Wastes.

    Portucale Electus, Evernight

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    simple question to everyone in this thread

    If (hypothetically) Turbine were to come out and say... Ok we hear you... Beorn will be delayed 6+ Month while we get it done correctly from level 1... Do you feel this would be a negative?

    Personally I think it would put a positive light on Turbine.. but that just me
    I think it would be a positive thing, I would like the Beorning to start at level 1 like the other classes.
    Pelarin Goldheart of Bree-land, Level 45 Guardian of the Brandywine server.

  5. #105
    I also feel this is a missed opportunity. With all the reworking that has been done to the earlier parts of the game why is it being skipped over with this new class?

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    simple question to everyone in this thread

    If (hypothetically) Turbine were to come out and say... Ok we hear you... Beorn will be delayed 6+ Month while we get it done correctly from level 1... Do you feel this would be a negative?

    Personally I think it would put a positive light on Turbine.. but that just me
    Any hypothetical delay wouldn't bother me as I would rather they took the time to do any content correctly. Having said that, "done correctly" is completely dependent upon your position. Having played on and off for 8 years now I've had plenty of time to enjoy the SoA content so starting at level 1 would certainly not be correct for and would likely mean I wouldn't purchase the class. As far as I'm concerned there are another 9 classes and plenty of character slots available should I wish to run the SoA content again. The truth is that there are people on both sides of the fence and none of us can know how many sit either side. The devs will have to decide that for themselves and tally it with their capabilities, especially as developing for one side would cost significantly more than developing for the other.
    Last edited by GB-Esty; Jul 05 2014 at 07:34 AM.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    4,367
    I can appreciate existing players who want to roll a Beorning may not want to have to go through the SOA content again. As someone with way too many characters the pre-RIO content is too familiar and more akin to having the same old relatives around for xmas year in, year out, even though it is some of the best content in any MMO.

    However, think of the beneficial impact on new players to the game if there is a massive influx of Beornings into the early part of the game. This could be an excellent opportunity for kins to open their doors and have experienced players being on board people new to the game, the early parts of the game will seem more alive with a bigger pool of players for those new to the game to tackle fellowship quests, instances etc.

    Of course it's going to cost Turbine more to implement Beornings from lvl 1 - the lvl 15 and 30 class quest instances, the lvl 45 class quest arcs and gear plus the Rift and Helegrod armour sets etc. But this could really pay dividends for the game in the longer term if it's done right.
    <A sig goes here>

  8. #108
    So it's a rage mechanic rather than a mana mechanic. Not quite understanding the riot about that. It's something different (only in LOTRO, everywhere else not really), which would make more sense for guardians, but okay, I take it.

    Have no issues with starting at 50 rather than at 1, because I'm not exactly looking forward to doing all the stuff from 1 to 50 for another time. I've seen it all, several times, no need or desire to drag it out again. The "argument" with learning the class is just the same old straw man nonsense. From 1 to 50 it'll take you around 10 levels to understand your class. At 50 it will take you to maybe 52 or 53. Nobody takes 50 levels to do that. Nobody. And if you do, then 50 levels won't be enough for you anyway, then you will never understand your class.

    No new starter zone is a bit of a letdown, but okay, I can live with it. It's not really needed anyway. There might still be some starter instance to explain things.
    [CENTER]“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

    [/CENTER]

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    125
    On one hand, I don't want to have to start all over again, so I'm ok with starting at 50. On the other hand, I do tend to enjoy the questing in the first 50 or so levels, so I could handle that as well. I'm not picky, I just don't want something that won't work regardless of where you start at. IMO, as long as it works as intended, I'll be good to go.
    Work in progress...

  10. #110
    I have faith it will work... that is not my main issue. But it does sound interesting none the less. I just hope it comes as a level 1 start someday so I can play it. I have a personal issue with not sstarting any toon in a MMO at level 1.
    Welcome to Maitenance Mode
    Please Add Draigoch Scales to the Skrimish Camp or Rep Barter Vendors in Dunland We are 30 Levels Past that Content
    And when the Devs make fun of how buggy it is in Bingo that should tell you something
    Peace Love and Tacos

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In the Ninky Nonk
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Takekaze View Post
    So it's a rage mechanic rather than a mana mechanic. Not quite understanding the riot about that. It's something different (only in LOTRO, everywhere else not really), which would make more sense for guardians, but okay, I take it.

    Have no issues with starting at 50 rather than at 1, because I'm not exactly looking forward to doing all the stuff from 1 to 50 for another time. I've seen it all, several times, no need or desire to drag it out again. The "argument" with learning the class is just the same old straw man nonsense. From 1 to 50 it'll take you around 10 levels to understand your class. At 50 it will take you to maybe 52 or 53. Nobody takes 50 levels to do that. Nobody. And if you do, then 50 levels won't be enough for you anyway, then you will never understand your class.

    No new starter zone is a bit of a letdown, but okay, I can live with it. It's not really needed anyway. There might still be some starter instance to explain things.
    So when someone buys the class and finds themselves at lvl 50 with (when based on the other classes) two bars worth of skills but any issues with getting to grips with those skills, understanding the nuances of a rotation, which skills being best to use for groups of mobs, for signatures / elites and how to make the best use of the rage mechanic any issues with understanding the class is just a "staw man"?

    The point you've missed is that between lvls 1 to 20 when a character aquires their main skills, combat is far less dangerous than it is at 50, let alone in Moria when most probably the first thing new players will do is head into the vol2 chapter 1 instance to get their LI - just a tad more difficult that archet at lvl 1 is it not? Nothing to do with taking 50 levels to learn ones class but having the opportunity to do so.

    So if, as Turbine plan this class is a draw to new players and it gets them buying the Moria expac, then forsee many frustrated players in those first few weeks.
    <A sig goes here>

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    680
    I suppose a good measure of this "straw man" will be Moria instances. If on-level Beornings can meaningfully contribute, I will happily agree that 2-3 levels was enough time to learn the class. If all of my anecdotal experience points to "they don't know what they're doing," I'll be more hesitant about it.
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Takekaze View Post
    So it's a rage mechanic rather than a mana mechanic. Not quite understanding the riot about that. It's something different (only in LOTRO, everywhere else not really), which would make more sense for guardians, but okay, I take it.

    Have no issues with starting at 50 rather than at 1, because I'm not exactly looking forward to doing all the stuff from 1 to 50 for another time. I've seen it all, several times, no need or desire to drag it out again. The "argument" with learning the class is just the same old straw man nonsense. From 1 to 50 it'll take you around 10 levels to understand your class. At 50 it will take you to maybe 52 or 53. Nobody takes 50 levels to do that. Nobody. And if you do, then 50 levels won't be enough for you anyway, then you will never understand your class.

    No new starter zone is a bit of a letdown, but okay, I can live with it. It's not really needed anyway. There might still be some starter instance to explain things.
    You've seen it all, you have seen ALL the new reworked content have you ? I havent, thats why I want to play this character from 1, I guess now I have to play a class a second time or do it stupidly overlevelled if I want to do that then do I
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c00000004dc6e/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,392
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/preview/...tros-update-14

    And the next update will be another one of those moments players have been waiting for: Update 15 will see the introduction of the Beorning
    Hm. I'd have thought we'd have seen at least a sketch by now.
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulanor_EU View Post
    Well that reasoning is a bit #### as it doesnt make sense for all those hobbits to be running round either, that sort of thing has never stopped them before. Plus they still start in Eriador, they dont start post Moria, they start prior to it.
    Sorry, I cannot determine what your profanity was, as your use of symbols prevents it. Sure hobbits break lore, but I don't recall that Turbine applied any hobbit specific starting rule to them, to get around lore breaking. With Beorning, it has been suggested the level 50 start is to prevent Lore breaking, which would be applying a specific starting rule to them. Yes they plonk one down on the Eriador side of the Misty Mountains for a start point. Hardly full access to Eriador though is it. For all we know it could be starting right at the Hollin gate, which wouldn't really be giving the class a great look at Eriador - a pool and some high walls instead of the full glory of Eriador doesn't quite cut it.

    Like I said, its something that I read, and have seen no official statement. But if it is true, and Turbine have to start a class at 50 because lore prevents it from being in Eriador - then, it can't really be seen in Eriador can it? It would be like saying you can't have fish, while serving salmon.

    I don't see what is so (whatever you typed) about that kind of reasoning.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,394
    Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    simple question to everyone in this thread

    If (hypothetically) Turbine were to come out and say... Ok we hear you... Beorn will be delayed 6+ Month while we get it done correctly from level 1... Do you feel this would be a negative?

    Personally I think it would put a positive light on Turbine.. but that just me

    I wouldn't say starting Beorning from level 1 is doing it correctly, or incorrectly. I am sure there are many many players who like the idea of a class starting at 50, and for them, the level 50 Beorning is what they would consider correct or more aptly, preferable for them.

    For me, being one of the people who would like the option of beginning this exciting new class from level 1, a 6 month delay wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, it wouldn't bother me if the level 50 start Beorning came out first and a level 1 starter at a later date. I'd wait it out, as I would like to experience the new class from the very beginning of middle earth, and compare it with the experiences of my other classes.
    Apes are superior to man in this . . . . When a monkey looks in a mirror, he sees a monkey

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    338
    Does anyone know when this class will be coming out? and do you have to purchase it with tp?

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbilsrcute View Post
    Does anyone know when this class will be coming out? and do you have to purchase it with tp?
    There will be a TP purchase, just like the Warden and Rune Keeper classes. The price is not currently known.
    Welcome to Maitenance Mode
    Please Add Draigoch Scales to the Skrimish Camp or Rep Barter Vendors in Dunland We are 30 Levels Past that Content
    And when the Devs make fun of how buggy it is in Bingo that should tell you something
    Peace Love and Tacos

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    simple question to everyone in this thread

    If (hypothetically) Turbine were to come out and say... Ok we hear you... Beorn will be delayed 6+ Month while we get it done correctly from level 1... Do you feel this would be a negative?

    Personally I think it would put a positive light on Turbine.. but that just me
    I am very ambivalent about this class. Nearly everything said about it grates. For me, if I were to buy this class, I'd rather start at 50. I won't gripe either way. I'm that ambivalent about it.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  20. #120

    Another Opt Out

    Add me to the long list of players who won't bother to get the Beorning if it starts at level 50. I am totally bored with level 95 and have started a new family on a second server just to have the fun of playing all the under 50 zones which are by far the most enjoyable to me. Actually the game through Dunland and Great River is still fun but once I have to start using a warsteed forget it - that makes it work, not fun.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a0000002a3fe6/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    64
    I don't want to wait 2 years for a new class. I'm fine with starting at lvl 50, it will be like a Heroic Class. I've been through the SOA content thousands of times anyway.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0720600000012f90b/01005/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    338
    The beorning class is a lore break to begin with. To put on the nerd glasses a little bit, there is a reason that most star wars mmos take place in the past, because at the time of the original trilogy there weren't a load of jedi running around.. The same goes for beornings. However, as this is clearly a fantastical bit of lore stretching I guess they figure they can and will do whatever they wish. Level 50 or level 1 it doesn't make a difference as speaking from a strictly lore perspective we should all have to roll a big 1000 sided die to see who wins the chance to be the one beorning on each server. Turbine could sell die rolls in the store for 1000 tp a piece and really make bank.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,693
    For me it doesn't matter what level we start at as long as there's plenty of story explaining what a Beorning is, where you come from, and why you are at the place you get to start in. A new starter instance would be needed because the normal Man starter instance in Archet would be really confusing if you then find yourself in Misty Mountains.

    Turbine has said no new starter area which should mean no new zone like Shire, Ered Luin and Bree-lands, but they haven't said no new starter instance so I'm hoping for one set in a place where Beornings could live and then something that would explain how and why you go to Misty Mountains. Give us a bit of story, please! We love story!


    About how we are supposed to learn to play a class with 50 less levels than the others: I think all classes already have a difficulty setting. Some are easy and some are difficult, so why not add a high difficulty tag to the Beorning?
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    246
    In those few years I play I created tons of alts, it feels like I know following of all quests up to Moria, too many times I went through those zones.. Therefore I am happy to learn about my class for next 50 levels without a need to go through the same rotation again. It's not like I don't like them, but I have only two characters at level cap, so in comparison I saw high level areas only twice, while going through starter areas I-don't-even-know-how-many times. Racing to the level cap is not much for me, and while I am interested to learn how all classes work, I naturally don't read those quests I just read on other character, but going through content just smashing, punching and killing stuff leaves me uninterested after while and I lose point of what I'm actually doing. I honestly would be happy to get a class at 50 because I already have a lot of content in front of me on all my other characters.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    simple question to everyone in this thread

    If (hypothetically) Turbine were to come out and say... Ok we hear you... Beorn will be delayed 6+ Month while we get it done correctly from level 1... Do you feel this would be a negative?

    Personally I think it would put a positive light on Turbine.. but that just me
    It wouldn't be a negative. I'd actually buy it then. The only reason we even know about Beornings is because they decided to tell us. They could have opted not to say anything, and we wouldn't have been the wiser, thus, there would not have been a "six month wait" for the low level content. It may have taken them six more months, but we wouldn't have been complaining about it.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

 

 
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload