We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Mines

Mines

Ever since I started playing Lotro I found it very odd that there are these ore deposits. Tiny rock heaps where suposedly ore is in. Which you can mine within a few seconds and get some ore.
    Always searching for a deposite with the radar (because that is VERY realistic).
    I ask you why was this system created? Because everybody knows you get ore from veins in a mine! Was it because you have to search for ore and so kill mobs and get XP?
    Was it because of the auction houses, so that it would be a bit scarce and so sellable?
    I personally as a dwarf would really like to see some real mines introduced in the game. But as I hear people think know "that would be too easy!" But to counter that you could perhaps set one particular mine depleted, so that people would have to go somewhere else and it would still be kind of scarce. You can also make like secret entrances, to abanoned mines where you first have to kill a few mobs or have to do a tiny instance for.
    Maybe they could rework the abandoned mine at Thorins Hall. Also the mining system would need a change I think.
    I think you should mine a few minutes to get ore from a vein rather than a few second to mine a deposite(and then search for the next one).
    Would be cool just to see a few people mine a mine at once, as a group.

I'm sure it will make a fun edition to the game!

Crafting was a late addition during the development prior to the initial launch. Like dyeing gear or PvP it was done via a limited budget and the time constraint of must be done by launch time like all the other launch features.

Turbine came up with the node concept for gathered materials. It is done that way because a lot of other games implement resource gathering this way. Swtor which is a much newer game also use the find a node on the landscape and harvest method just like Lotro.

It seems like these reasons were used:

1) Players would be comfortable with this implementation because it is a standard accepted way of doing it.

2) Supply is limited based on the need to have a character high enough to survive in the field. It is time consuming running around looking and gathering materials. It is difficult to automate so that your PC can play your character and gather unlimited quantities while you sleep, do laundry, clean or working. You will find people do full automation for farming.

3) Experience points for crafting are new. It was perhaps 18 - 24 months ago (five years after launch) that Turbine added experience points. I have no idea why. Some people hate it. Other like me love it. The majority probably do not care.

My personal opinion. I suspect there are a lot of people like me. Gathering resources is already very time consuming. Any change that would make it more time consuming is not going to be acceptable. Likewise - special mine concept - forget that. I like being able to do my quests and have a side of material gathering at the same time.

When you get to higher level and higher tiers Turbine has created the concept of a resource instance. There are a lot of ore nodes in the ore instance. There are a number of quests within the resource instance. You get kills for slayer deeds. Barter tokens for various loot. Experience points. Quest completion credit. Along with the ability to get a bunch of ore, wood ...
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I have thought about what you said and I have this to counter it. How about cancelling the deposits and make a short of lines of a spesific color in large rocks, to represent tiny ore veins. perhaps the devs could even concetrate these at a certain point in a region. Just make them in big rocks, and not tiny humps like these deposites. And about the mines, I still believe it can be done. Just make secret mines with little ore and some mobs guarding it. Abondoned mines with cave crawlers etc. But please kill the deposites I think it is a bad idea and very unrealistic.

Deposits are as much realistics as Hunter armour dropping from spider or grulet. Or evil horde of Orcs with their leader - a leader you can slain as many times as you wish. or - what about carrying 60 pieces of armour and 30 pieces of legendary weapons? If armour weighs only 5 kilograms and weapon - only 1 kilogram...wait a second, we have almost 400 kilogrames? Oh, add food and some ore and some unbreakalble health/power potions...

Crafting system is good as it is. it is already time-consuming even for easy crafters (like gathering metal or wood). Ask Scholar about finding boxes - these are scarce and sometimes dangerous.

I,as Dwarf, wood like to step into mines and mine, mine, mine some ore. Maybe - idea for festival?

See I am not alone! Plus we have to start somewhere with improving the crafting systems.

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    wait a second, we have almost 400 kilogrames? Oh, add food and some ore and some unbreakalble health/power potions...
    You don't have a backpack. What you have there is an invisible leather TARDIS.

I think you may be playing the wrong game.

Try this one.
    [center][url=http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?18699-How-to-get-help-on-the-Tech-Forums-and-how-to-contact-Turbine][color=gold]How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine[/color][/url]

[color=green]Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.[/color][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Ryga View Post
    I have thought about what you said and I have this to counter it. How about cancelling the deposits and make a short of lines of a spesific color in large rocks, to represent tiny ore veins. perhaps the devs could even concetrate these at a certain point in a region. Just make them in big rocks, and not tiny humps like these deposites. And about the mines, I still believe it can be done. Just make secret mines with little ore and some mobs guarding it. Abondoned mines with cave crawlers etc. But please kill the deposites I think it is a bad idea and very unrealistic.
    What you are looking for is a realistic resource gathering or mining simulator. There are games that cater to this kind of game play.

This game around character growth via doing quests and killing stuff with many complicated features that to support character growth and consume lots of time. I quite happy with the current simple and elegant resource gathering system that does not detract from us being adventurers.

Once you start adding in realism factors like eating, sleeping, having to visit a doctor, long travel times, weather effects, unable to see at night ... you end up with frustrated customers that are having to waste time doing things that are not fun. Older games like EverQuest had a lot of these realism features. They gone away because customers like me hated them. In games like Dark Ages of Camelot or EverQuest that had very dark nights, I would log out when the sun set. Log back in when the sun came up.

My suggestion is that you go play a mining game until you get your fill of this kind of realism. I do not expect Lotro to satisfy my love of war games. Hence, I have a Decisive Campaigns, Panzer Corps and Hearts of Iron 3 to name 3 games to get my war game fix.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I myself started playing lotro because i love the Lotr story and all of it's lore, not because of mining. But seeing as this as crafting part of the game why not improve it?
    I am not going to play those games for this purpose we just want some better mining experience, like it was meant to be, not striking your mickaxe twice at a colored hump to get "ore" which suddenly disappears.
    Give me one good reason why you shouldn't or we can't replace these deposites with REAL veins. Scatterd around like deposites, with mobs around them like depostis and able to be mined while on a quest like deposites.
    Simply enough it works in the exact same manner but it is and looks better and it is more realistic. And what the other mister dwarf said earlier why not have mines at festivals? I could be good for all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryga View Post
    Give me one good reason why you shouldn't or we can't replace these deposites with REAL veins.
    MONEY.

good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Frishia View Post
    MONEY.

good enough?
    What are you saying, like it would cost them too much?
    Come on we all know the turbine store and everybody that I know has paid atleast something for the game.
    I think they have money enough!