We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by kat1248 View Post
    Awesomium is not a Google product, it's a product made by a small shop in San Francisco and is probably not the best embedded client to use on production code. It's barely supported.
    Awesomium has a long and troubled history. It is a "wrapper" based on Google's Chromium. It is an open source product today, which was apparently, originally ,an independent company. Today, that company offers a "supported" version of Awesomium, however as you point out that support is a joke. Or possibly the "independent company" came after the fact, I am not positive which.

It is not really clear if it was ever "a good idea." But it was an idea with was successfully sold to a large number of the major Game Publishers who pushed their developers to utilize it.

BTW, that "small shop" was only ever one individual from everything I have been able to find out. A classic case of marketing guile if there ever was one!
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Release notes for today's hotfix are up...the store should be fixed now!
    **Lifetime VIP Mac Player**
    Hope dies last, but it dies.

I'd love to hear if it really does work. Been prepping my system for Yosemite upgrade for some time.

It works ;-)

No crashes so far, could play for 4 hours yesterday. Only downside is the new class, just don't like it. Picked up my lvl 72 elven championesse.

LOTRO store now works perfectly.

Despite the Mac client behaving stable so far, i would like to know, if someone has experience with running LOTRO under Parallels? Performance, issues, general playability? I have a high-end iMac (i7 late 2012, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD graphics).

I installed LOTRO yesterday under Parallels 10 running Win 8.1. After Installation it tries to install DirectX 9, but the launcher just shuts down after hitting Ok and nothing happens afterwards. In the graphics section DirectX 10 is enabled and greyed out, so i can't change anything there. Why does The launcher even try to install DirectX 9, when i have DirectX 10?

Quote Originally Posted by padraxus View Post
    I installed LOTRO yesterday under Parallels 10 running Win 8.1. After Installation it tries to install DirectX 9, but the launcher just shuts down after hitting Ok and nothing happens afterwards. In the graphics section DirectX 10 is enabled and greyed out, so i can't change anything there. Why does The launcher even try to install DirectX 9, when i have DirectX 10?
    LOTRO does NOT run under Direct X10 or X11... it must run under X9 -- there are a couple of enhancements which use features from the other versions, but the base version is X9.

LOTRO also has issues with 8.1

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I was able to get LOTRO running under Parallels a few years back, but I think I was running it under a Windows XP image. Performance wasn't the best - but then I don't have a high-end Mac either (2007-era iMac with 4GB RAM). I think I got it to run in Medium graphics mode if I remember right. Voice worked but was a little gravelly according to the friends I grouped with. I had lag issues but it wasn't terrible. BUT this was before RoR. I think I tried running under a Windows 7 image but was unable to get it to run satisfactory - but then I was probably only running the Windows 7 image with 2GB RAM assigned to it. I eventually gave up and just booted into Windows via Bootcamp when I wanted to play LOTRO.

Bottom line: even with a lower-end Mac like I had, it ran ok. If you can get past your DirectX and possible Windows 8.1 issues, I would think with your system stats you would get decent performance.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by elbac1957 View Post
    I was able to get LOTRO running under Parallels a few years back, but I think I was running it under a Windows XP image. . . .

Bottom line: even with a lower-end Mac like I had, it ran ok. If you can get past your DirectX and possible Windows 8.1 issues, I would think with your system stats you would get decent performance.
    Good point.

LOTRO is an XP program hacked to keep running under newer versions of Windows.

One of the most telling aspects is the fact that LOTRO is still a 32-bit application. That means that you need 32-bit libraries installed to make it run.
    This is one of the issues which various folks working with WINE on 64 bit LINUX systems constantly encounter -- you need the 32-bit libraries for LOTRO, even though you don't need them for anything else.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)