We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

MAC OS 10.10 Yosemite

New keynote, new OSX.

The next OSX will be launched in Fall 2014 and i hope that my LOTRO will function with it as stable as it is now.

My iMac didn't have the tiniest issue with LOTRO for over 6 months now and runs smoothly as hell.
    **Lifetime VIP Mac Player**
    Hope dies last, but it dies.

I'm aware that the NDA won't be lifted for months, but i just wanted to start a thread after the announcement at the keynote.
    **Lifetime VIP Mac Player**
    Hope dies last, but it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by padraxus View Post
    I'm aware that the NDA won't be lifted for months, but i just wanted to start a thread after the announcement at the keynote.
    Apple will be offering the 10.10 as a free Beta during the summer. If you want you could download that and try lotro on it.
    Not a scientific test of course but if it works it works.

Hi there

Without going into anything specific about the forthcoming OS 10.10 Yosemite release I am able to confirm that I have seen the latest developer build running the native Mac client for Lord of the Rings Online without any known issues whatsoever. No noticeable difference with FPS or any other performance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelenko View Post
    Without going into anything specific about the forthcoming OS 10.10 Yosemite release I am able to confirm that I have seen the latest developer build running the native Mac client for Lord of the Rings Online without any known issues whatsoever. No noticeable difference with FPS or any other performance at all.
    Lets hope Turbine fixes the Mac Client for the release of Update 14. They broke it in the 7/3 Build 4 of the Beta
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Sadly it seems as if the assumption that the LOTRO Mac client works perfectly under OS 10.10 Yosemite was a bit premature.

That said though, the actual issue which has been noticed is not all that major. The actual gameplay of the client works just fine. The issue lies with the LOTRO Store - this is run through a browser and all you get is an error screen reporting "An unexpected error occurred".

As I said not that major but this could have serious issues for Mac users if they are unable to make use of their Turbine points.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelenko View Post
    Sadly it seems as if the assumption that the LOTRO Mac client works perfectly under OS 10.10 Yosemite was a bit premature.

That said though, the actual issue which has been noticed is not all that major. The actual gameplay of the client works just fine. The issue lies with the LOTRO Store - this is run through a browser and all you get is an error screen reporting "An unexpected error occurred".

As I said not that major but this could have serious issues for Mac users if they are unable to make use of their Turbine points.
    You'd have to think that if they're going to fix any Mac bugs, it'd be the one that stops people spending money that gets their attention...

I'm running Lotro on Yosemite. All was great until this latest Yosemite release. Now I get near-constant screen flicker. Not sure what they changed, but it's really annoying. ADD: I've had to run in windowed mode, as Yosemite moves the screen down to accommodate the Apple bar at the top of the screen. This is on my Macbook Pro (which I've been playing Lotro on for a long time). Fired it up on my iMac and did not see this issue (in full screen - still suffering from the "shift-down" which obscures the XP bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Calblack View Post
    I'm running Lotro on Yosemite. All was great until this latest Yosemite release. Now I get near-constant screen flicker. Not sure what they changed, but it's really annoying. ADD: I've had to run in windowed mode, as Yosemite moves the screen down to accommodate the Apple bar at the top of the screen. This is on my Macbook Pro (which I've been playing Lotro on for a long time). Fired it up on my iMac and did not see this issue (in full screen - still suffering from the "shift-down" which obscures the XP bar.
    Keep in mind the differences in Graphics Cards and the related "drivers" between the MacBook Pro and the iMac.
    Apple provides the "drivers" by taking the code from the graphics chip vendors and integrating it into OSX.

The other thing to remember -- The Mac Client and OSX are using OpenGL, not DirectX.
    What I don't know is how LOTRO uses the same basic graphics files for both. There are techniques available.
    My graphics background is probably 15 years out of date and Google is only somewhat helpful.

One other interesting thing about Yosemite. (I signed up for the beta program, but haven't heard anything from Apple since their announcement. )
    Mavericks implemented some significant memory management changes. Nominally all involve "cacheing" stuff to make things "seem faster" and to prolong battery life.
    i.e. "Compressed Memory," "App Nap," "Timer Coalescing" in particular - technologies which are likely to effect (designed to effect?) the Mac Book more than the iMac.

http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/
    http://images.apple.com/media/us/osx...y_Overview.pdf
    This appears to be a reasonable explanation:
    http://macs.about.com/od/macoperatin...ry-in-OS-X.htm

What impact does all of this have on gaming? Specifically I do no know. What I do know is that Apple is optimizing OSX for "general purpose" computing and "the Internet."

You see the impact of the "active Internet Required" with all of the applications interacting with the iCloud. There is an expectation that you have an active "high speed" Internet connection -- all the time.

In general, this kind of optimization MUST be detrimental to gaming -- although today's gaming technology (thinking of LOTRO in particular) is basically 5 years behind. But even that is not a correct statement as LOTRO in particular attempts to make use of the latest advances in Graphics Technology. We saw a great deal of that enhancement in Rohan, and see more now in Update 14.

There are a tremendous number of pieces to this puzzle and like the folks in Plato's Cave -- all we can see are the shadows on the wall.

BTW, I've always played in Windowed mode on my 27 inch iMac. "Full Screen" as such has never been available - the Apple bar has always been present.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

An interesting table from Apple mapping OpenGL features and Hardware.

https://developer.apple.com/graphics.../capabilities/

Only describes Mavericks, not Yosemite.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

I see several players have ran pre-beta releases of 10.10 (Yosemite) with LOTRO. Anyone had a chance to download, install, and run LOTRO under the official public beta? And if so, what's the verdict?

Lotro in Yosemite

Currently unplayable under Yosemite for me. Minor issue - going full screen leaves the Menu Bar part of the screen unused - i.e theres a bar of wallpaper visible over the top - but the big problem is near constant flicker and screen redraw that makes the game unplayable.

Hmmmm..... sounds like Turbine needs to use the new SDK from Apple for compatibility.

Hi there

I am now running the public beta OS X 10.10 (14A299l) and the LOTRO performs just as well as it did for me running on OS X 10.9. My FPS varies between 50 and 80 depending upon location (the lower being Bree). The settings are all set to maximum for the graphics but my system specs are probably not the norm

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
    Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 10 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Chipset Model: AMD FirePro D500
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Chipset Model: AMD FirePro D500
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-2
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Displays:
    Thunderbolt Display:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    APPLE SSD SM1024F:
    Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,555,581,440 bytes)

As mentioned by Desd1nova is you play full screen then you lose a bit at the top as the client incorrectly leaves space for the menu bar (you can see the desktop through it).

The LOTRO Store is also out of action under the current release and I fully expect it to remain so until the LOTRO client is updated.

No issues so far video, sound, performance or quest wise to report.

Thanks for the update Shelenko! I've got a 12-core new Mac Pro I'm itching to try this out on... but it's a production machine and won't be able to load it up until after all of our production software is declared stable under Yosemite. I have a MB Pro which I think I'll wait until Turbine updates their client before trying Yosemite.

On my MBP I have the same flickering issues with Yosemite. The menu bar issue has been resolved with the latest developer release, and I no longer need to play windowed. I'm on Developer Preview 5 (I've had them all - same problem throughout). My 21.5" iMac suffers neither problem (same version of Yosemite).
    [B][charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c000000011bc9/01008/signature.png]Calamus[/charsig][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Calblack View Post
    On my MBP I have the same flickering issues with Yosemite. The menu bar issue has been resolved with the latest developer release, and I no longer need to play windowed. I'm on Developer Preview 5 (I've had them all - same problem throughout). My 21.5" iMac suffers neither problem (same version of Yosemite).
    Sounds like issues with Apple's Graphics drivers. Par for the course.
    Which Graphics does the MBP have vs the iMac.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

I took the plunge and installed the public beta. I have to play windowed (since public beta is updated less frequently than developer preview). The only thing that doesn't work for me is the LOTRO store. Other than that it's fine. No flickering, etc. Have you checked to see if "sync to refresh rate" is checked/unchecked? Mine is currently unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by DWalla View Post
    I took the plunge and installed the public beta. I have to play windowed (since public beta is updated less frequently than developer preview). The only thing that doesn't work for me is the LOTRO store. Other than that it's fine. No flickering, etc. Have you checked to see if "sync to refresh rate" is checked/unchecked? Mine is currently unchecked.
    Yes - same situation here, running public beta, LOTRO Store is not available to me. Would love to spend some Turbine Points but that can wait until the fall.

OK... so here is the list of things I have found that don't work under 10.10 public beta 1:

1) Full-screen doesn't work correctly, must play windowed.
    2) LOTRO store doesn't work at all.
    3) In-game voice chat doesn't work at all.

OK... so here is the list of things I have found that don't work under 10.10 public beta 1:

1) Full-screen doesn't work correctly, must play windowed.
    2) LOTRO store doesn't work at all.
    3) In-game voice chat doesn't work at all.
    2 & 3 are communications issues. Possibly related to Apple security issues/changes.
    Both are communications to different servers from the game servers.
    No guess as to which side is causing the problem, but I would guess that Apple has changed things...
    I know Apple has "tightened up" some things in that area.
    At least with the store a problem, Turbine might take notice.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    2 & 3 are communications issues. Possibly related to Apple security issues/changes.
    Both are communications to different servers from the game servers.
    No guess as to which side is causing the problem, but I would guess that Apple has changed things...
    I know Apple has "tightened up" some things in that area.
    At least with the store a problem, Turbine might take notice.
    On the in-game voice chat element.... when I go to my audio settings I don't even see a device for capture or playback. So I'm wondering if it's a sound device discovery issue for the in-game chat? However, I do have in-game audio for everything else.

On the in-game voice chat element.... when I go to my audio settings I don't even see a device for capture or playback. So I'm wondering if it's a sound device discovery issue for the in-game chat? However, I do have in-game audio for everything else.
    Hard to say - except that we know the fact - Gamespy which originally provided the in-game voice chat to Turbine is no longer in business.
    Turbine has continued to use the technology under their original license, however they have been using their own voice chat servers. ( This was confirmed as recently as April 2014 on the DDO forums.)

What is unknown is the status of the voice code in the client. Is it being maintained by Turbine?
    Sadly, this kind of topic has been considered "technical" and beyond the scope of discussion by Customer Support, i.e. Sapience.
    Is that still true with the new CS Manager? Since I'm no longer on the Players Council, I have no idea.

Is there any "support" for the Mac Client? Only time will tell. We have had no comment from anyone in Turbine since before the Mac Client was released.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

A comment about Ventrillo and Mumble - both of these are moe easily "played with" by using the Utility -whose name I forget and this is written on my iPad - used for midi work.

Use it to select the audio devices - it will verify what devices OSX can see.

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    A comment about Ventrillo and Mumble - both of these are moe easily "played with" by using the Utility -whose name I forget and this is written on my iPad - used for midi work.

Use it to select the audio devices - it will verify what devices OSX can see.
    Yes... TS3, Mumble, and Ventrilo all work fine under Yosemite.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast