We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Voice playback and capture device issues.

So, I have an iMac, 2011 model updated with latest OS and a Sennheiser U320 Headset with Mic. At the beginning of the year I set up my headset successfully with LOTRO and was able to use it to communicate. As I have not been doing much group content as of late and always have voice enabled, I did not realise my voice chat is not actually working... until recently. In the LOTRO Audio options I have Voice Enabled checked, My Sennheiser headset is selected for "sound features" yet at the bottom of the audio page, 'voice playback device' and 'voice capture device' are both greyed out and I cannot click my headset.

I have looked online for similar issues and what info I have found have been for Windows users, or not helpful for my situation.
    I have double-checked my Sound settings on my Mac system preferences. My headset appears in both input and output and I have it highlighted. When I speak into my headset mic the sound levels rise, indicating my Mic is in fact working. I have seen forums suggesting the Audio MIDI Setup, however, these have been 5-6 years old and are hard to follow, for me any way - not the most tech savvy person

I have restarted my computer, tried different USB ports for my headset but nothing is working, with increased group content underway it's frustrating not being able to hear or speak to other people on LOTRO. I really do not want to have to buy another headset, especially considering the fact my Sennheiser is working out of game.

Could it be the OS updates, LOTRO updates?
    If anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

I don't use the in-game audio. My Kin runs its own Mumble server.

I use an Audio FX pro (USB) headset.

The playback has always worked well for me -- the boom mic, however, has been problematic. So I've tended to ignore it and use my 27 inch iMac's built-in mics.

There is a tool: /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app

which often can be used to solve various problems.

The one thing, I think i've found, is that if you plug-in and set-up the headset FIRST -- before you launch LOTRO, that it will work.

Similarly, there do appear to be USB issues with OSX.
    I normally use a powered USB hub for my headset, and occasionally, it doesn't show up in "About this Mac" - System Report - USB.
    Usually, simply un-plugging and plugging it back in will get OSX to recognize it, implying that there is some sort of "time-out" involved.
    I've sent in Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/) but since that is a one-way communication, I have no idea what, if anything is going on.

You can always submit a Ticket (not a /bug) to Turbine and see what (if anything) they respond.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (104)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Wow! That was "unique" ---

I just had the Mac Client running, sitting on the Character selection Screen, with Options/Audio open...

Plugged in my head set into the USB Hub... the audio immediately cut out (as expected) and then BOOM! Crash to desktop.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Wow! That was "unique" ---

I just had the Mac Client running, sitting on the Character selection Screen, with Options/Audio open...

Plugged in my head set into the USB Hub... the audio immediately cut out (as expected) and then BOOM! Crash to desktop.
    Thanks for the response. I have unplugged and re-plugged my headset before launching LOTRO yet it still does not show up in audio settings, my kin has thought about using a server, yes, and will most likely start looking into that some more. I mainly wanted to use in-game voice for groups where people are not in our kin, even if it's just so I can hear them.

I guess I'll keep fiddling around and hope for some luck

The thing I was looking for because I didn't remember exactly.

When you launch LOTRO, the Client does not control the Audio Input and Output; that is done by preferences/sound.

The Client will always show only the same "sound preferences entry" you have selected when you launch the client.
    Note this is from the Character selection Options screen, which only shows the OUTPUT settings.

The in-game audio panel does show the two -- "Built-in Output" (default) and "C-Media USB Headphone Set" which is how my headset is identified by OSX.

Input has 3 options -- "Built-in Microphone" (default), "Built-in Input" and "C-Media USB Headphone Set"

But again, those settings have no effect.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    The thing I was looking for because I didn't remember exactly.

When you launch LOTRO, the Client does not control the Audio Input and Output; that is done by preferences/sound.

The Client will always show only the same "sound preferences entry" you have selected when you launch the client.
    Note this is from the Character selection Options screen, which only shows the OUTPUT settings.

The in-game audio panel does show the two -- "Built-in Output" (default) and "C-Media USB Headphone Set" which is how my headset is identified by OSX.

Input has 3 options -- "Built-in Microphone" (default), "Built-in Input" and "C-Media USB Headphone Set"

But again, those settings have no effect.
    I couldn't select anything at all, even on the character selection. My 'Sound preferences' selection was always my headset so LOTRO picked up on that, just not the voice playback/capture.

I figured it out finally after hours of looking it up on Mac forums. I came across some information where someone had to use the Audio Midi Set Up and create a 'Multi-Output' Device. I gave it a shot, using my headset, (albeit with a screen shot tutorial) not thinking it would work - and voila!

Thank you for the help anyhow

Having the same issue now, although It randomly just started a couple of days ago. Can you tell me step by step what you did?
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan583 View Post
    Having the same issue now, although It randomly just started a couple of days ago. Can you tell me step by step what you did?
    1- The "Audio Midi Setup" is found under /Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup.app
    2- I did not have to do anything -- my headset was recognized and automatically created at a 1-in/2-out configuration.

3- click on the ? and it will pop-up a "help" screen which will explain the "Add button +"
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (91)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Well I found a work-around, but its kinda stupid.
    1. Before launching lotro, have your audio out(in system preferences) set to anything but your headset(ie system speakers)
    2. Once lotro is launched switch your audio out back to your headset.
    3. Once you've loaded in, switch the 2 voice audio devices(playback and capture) to your headset.
    4. Voila!
    You have to do this every time though, which is a real pain.
    Windfola:
    Bretela LVL 100 Warden Gwaithol LVL 100 Hunter Brilliance LVL 86+ LM
    Mac User, Raider