We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: 13.1.1

Not sure of the ramifications of a launcher only update here, but why on earth does a MS-centric launcher issue need to be cross platform (as far as downloadable code)? To me it seems like a unnecessary burn of bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    Not sure of the ramifications of a launcher only update here, but why on earth does a MS-centric launcher issue need to be cross platform (as far as downloadable code)? To me it seems like a unnecessary burn of bandwidth.
    This was one of those "interesting" updates... er... HotFix.
    One of the largest "HotFixes" I've seen in 7 years. Although they went from calling it a HotFix in the downtime announcement to calling it an update in the release notes.
    (Given the huge size of the Bullroarer update - took me over 50 minutes, I'm wondering if they have pre-loaded some of the Update graphics with this.)

I'm guessing that the "purpose" was strictly "Akamai related," but I don't know.
    Personally, I have had no issues with the Akamai NetsSession client on the Mac.
    And the only "complaints" I've read have been of the same type as "They've got to merge the servers," "The game is dying," -- typical 14 year old's yacking to hear themselves talk etc.

Other than that, the Launcher is actually surprisingly "cross-platform," and "cross-game." From all I can tell the same launcher is used by DDO as LOTRO. (No idea about AC1/2.)
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Given the huge size of the Bullroarer update - took me over 50 minutes, I'm wondering if they have pre-loaded some of the Update graphics with this.
    I am using the PC version of the game. The majority of the down load was the arrival of a new compressed library called client_cell_3.dat which is 167 megabytes in size.

I believe cell libraries contain terrain information for the landscape. The cell libraries grow in size when new regions are added or existing regions are expanded.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I am using the PC version of the game. The majority of the down load was the arrival of a new compressed library called client_cell_3.dat which is 167 megabytes in size.

I believe cell libraries contain terrain information for the landscape. The cell libraries grow in size when new regions are added or existing regions are expanded.
    Interesting -- are you mixing versions? The only Cell_3 file I find is in the Beta copy of the Mac Client.
    I have both the Mac Client and via WINE, the PC Client installed on my machine and do not see a Cell_3 file on either of the Live clients.

BTW: There is also a companion Client_3.map flie (only 23 meg).

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

One thing I should mention -- so far, I've had two 3-hour sessions in Western Gondor!!! (Compared to my historical average of 45-60 minutes.)

In both cases the client didn't crash until the AFK timer ran-out.
    Yes, I had Lua's running.

The most interesting thing -- this happened with a NEW character created on BR and leveled to 95 via the E&G.

I have 3 copied characters -95, 93,87 which I have not yet run on Bullroarer. So I don't know if the Client has "been fixed" or if it has to do with the complexity of the Character.

Time will tell

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valanne - Beorning (94)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Interesting -- are you mixing versions? The only Cell_3 file I find is in the Beta copy of the Mac Client.
    I have both the Mac Client and via WINE, the PC Client installed on my machine and do not see a Cell_3 file on either of the Live clients.
    You were wondering what was being down loaded to cause the long update for the Mac of the Bullroarer client. My answer is that for the PC version of the Bullroarer client it is a new compressed library called client_cell_3.dat of 167 Megabytes. There is also another new compressed library called client_cell_map_3.dat of 22 Megabytes.

Neither of these files exist in my live PC installation of Lotro. My live installation is 500 Megabytes smaller than my Bullroarer installation. There is another 311 Megabytes are - who knows. I did not bother to compare the other compressed libraries in Bullroarer and live.

The only reason I noticed client_cell_3.dat is because it took a long time to download that one file. The total size was listed for the file - 9 digits. I glanced the bytes downloaded - 7 digit number over a megabyte - 1% complete.

Over all it is a big update so far. 500+ megabytes.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Yeah, I have no client_cell_3.dat file (although I do have 1 and 2.dat), nor do I have anything related to Akamai or NetSessions that I can find. Mine originally was a Steam install years ago. Kind of mysterious.

Good to hear about your success with avoiding application crashing Valamar. I haven't had much in the way of crashing in 6-8 months after futzing with graphic settings. It might be time to start pushing the settings a little higher to see what is the real cause of those pesky crashes.