We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Post Berawena's Third Letter Home

"Dear Sister,

I think there is something terribly wrong. I find the whole Chetwood changed. Darker and more sinister than it used to be. It was always a deep forest, where one could go wrong and become lost if one was not careful. But now it has changed completely. There are not only a few scatterede Blackwolds, as I suspected. The place is crawling with them. I do not understand how these ruffians have been able to organize this well.

Or in fact, I do understand. Yesterday when we attacked them again - in company with an excellent markswoman named Berenthel, who did not say much but didn’t need to because her arrows spoke for themselves - we found not only bandits, but hood-clad men from the North, from a place called Angmar. We have only heard of this place in legends - or in nightmares to be more correct. But here they were, helping the Blackwolds organizing and supplying them with black magic. We fought them, but decided to retreat to come back another day.

If this is true it not only means that the Blackwolds are getting help from outsiders, but also that Angmar has risen again. I don’t know which part is most scary.

All the best,
    Bera
    (P.S. don’t tell anyone that I’m scared. I’ll give you such a beating if you do)"
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 13 2014 at 09:07 AM.
    "The turtle is my trinket". Founder of Club Slowtro.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.

Lightbulb

Sir Winston Churchill approves this thread.

Finally I've got my Laurelin Archive profile:
    http://laurelinarchives.org/profile/12761

Let us go forward togheter guys, our quests will be remembered!

Post [BG] Elrhandir Adanorn

Son of Elihador Adanorn, Commander of the 33rd Regiment of the Royal Troops of Gondor, brother of Eliadhan, Guard of the Citadel.Following in their footsteps, Elrhandir grows under a high-ranking and respectable military education, thanks to the military rank of the parent. With these assumptions, he was promoted to Captain of Gondor at a young age, in the day of his twenty-ninth birthday, by merit fees.With the weight of the responsibility of command, his father has big ambitions for his future. Proud of the position gained by both the heirs, Elihador takes Elrhandir under his wing. The plan for the young is to be formed in the military. The brother will be left in the care of his uncle, sharing the same road.

Elrhandir knows what it means to experience the thrill of the fight, accompanying his father in the early East campaigns of repression against the goblin races. Many moments of joy and sorrow are shared by the two, but also leaving spot for glimmers loving.<<The Banner that our Heralds bring with us into battle, it’s a symbol, El. This Tree, embossed in it, is the desire to find freedom and peace for our people, for the future of our posterity.> > Elihador was solid again with his son, while teaching him personally to mend the War Banner.<<Let footprint of the hands on it, in its preparation. Work it with the same care with which we focus to launch a counter-attack, is the secret of the energy that this symbol gives to us. For this reason it’s important that you learn to make it yourself, the banner that will accompany you. The same as you will recall, in the midst of the hell of war, this principle.>>

Not soon after, Elihador was assigned by the Steward of Gondor to the garrison responsible to calm down the various riots recently arisen in the East of Middle-earth. He had to say goodbye to his son and comrade in arms to assert his duties, with the promise to meet again at the end of these, in their native land.

Been separated from his father who was now traveling on those Dark Lands, Elrhandir had to take charge of patrolling the area of the Bree-land and surrounding areas. Gondor should also think about the fate of their people and to give its protection to men who found themselves under its banner.Strong by the memory of the father’s spirit and recommendations, the young Captain travels to Bree. The land that will start his adventure, for the first time alone, against a Darkness that he still doesn’t know. Darkness that is going to hover above all the races of Middle-earth.The heart of Elrhandir, however, is already looking to the future. That spark that flows from his Banner, by that symbol, will reinforce his mind. It will give him the strength to face the fate that will stand out before, for the freedom of all peoples.
    Last edited by DjEmet; Jun 18 2014 at 01:29 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][I][B]- Emet -

[/B][/I][/COLOR][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/b8n0ic.png[/IMG]

A site for Club Slowtro

Just a quick update: We've created a shivtr-site for Club Slowtro: http://slowtro.shivtr.com/

We can use it for organize, discuss, plan meetings and chat. We would like to hear everybody's opinions on where Club Slowtro should go, so we might schedule some chat-sessions.

The site is just bare-bones right now. The dragon picture is just a placeholder right now. More content will be added.

Club Slowtro is not a kinship, so you don't have to be a member of a kin to join us on the shivtr-site. (If, however, we do form a kinship at some point it will be called Company of the Tortoise - therefore the title of the site).

Next up: more diaries from Berawena + what about that big warg in the Chetwood?
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 18 2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.

Thumbs up First analysis.

After more or less two weeks of life I would give my first evalutation of this Club.
    In few words: a promising start.
    In those weeks I've met some good people that i hope will be my companions along the way for many time, I had some fun RP with Talarka the Elf, Reginart a fun Hobbit and Athallan a Breelander helped me to investigate about my character's misadventures.
    I also started a character journal that I hope to fill with many adventures.

Soon we will move the cap lvl to 10, there will be more action!So be prepared!

One last thing about Clab's last post: I really would like to have a general chat with all Slowtroers before our ingame meeting in Sptember, cause I really want to know, as Clab wrote, where Slowtro should go.

Cool

Great initiative the site!
    Last edited by DjEmet; Jun 18 2014 at 01:28 PM.

The Company of the Tortoise

First big outing of Club Slowtro: Out to slay the evil Warg Baugarch. Can four lvl 6'ers beat a lvl 15 elite warg? The answer is coming up!

From left to right: Hesthorn, Berawena, Pada and Elrhandir

Thumbs up [OOC]

The answer is: yes!

GJ everyone

Hey Claba, what do you think about posting this piece of memories into our new site?
    We could set a series of few screenshots during our events every time, to put them in the properly thread on the shivtr site. To hold track of our successes and show them as Slowtro-content to new potential players.

Quote Originally Posted by DjEmet View Post
    Hey Claba, what do you think about posting this piece of memories into our new site?
    We could set a series of few screenshots during our events every time, to put them in the properly thread on the shivtr site. To hold track of our successes and show them as Slowtro-content to new potential players.
    I think that is a great idea. I plan to post Berawena's letters here and on the Laurelin Archives - but it would be great to have images and stories on the shivtr site as well. "Track our successes" - exactly! And plan new ones!

Edit: I've added a journal function for the site, but I'm not sure how best to use it. Maybe it would be better just to have the journals as part of the forum posts. We can discuss that or/and try different approaches. There'll be lots of adventures to tell about, I'm sure.

Edit, edit: I think the Forums will work better for our shared tales of events and adventures. So I've added a section for that. Journals are mostly for one-person narration.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 19 2014 at 04:56 AM.

Good, it's a pleasure that you appreciate it.

Extracts from Pada's Journal 2

I was in Archet when they had all that trouble and helped as best I could to protect them but still many died and Archet was mostly destroyed.
    Many of the people I had traded with had gone or were so shocked that it will take years for them to recover. I stayed a few days to help but needed to get away to the security of the shire.
    I spent days helping the shire folk with their day to day problems; helped with the post and took back pies that’s were bad; for that I was given a wonderful pie recipe.
    Doing all this was to help me forget and with meditation in the hills, also the help of Ida heal to some extent.

The hobbits can be very generous but at times too energetic and playful for me. They even made me an honorary sheriff and gave me a hat which I will never be seen wearing but would never tell them.

What happen at Archet as changed me, I would never get involved with peoples problems unless they affected me. Now things seemed to be darker and problems links, I am beginning to feel if we all don’t get involved to stop this where will it end ?

I heard of a girl called Berawena staying at Comb who lived at Archet. She was there looking for revenge. I think I remember her family. I wrote; warning her to be careful about what she says, I also offered help. Its something I would never have done before Archet.

I was at Rushock bog and there were rumours of a stone troll causing lots for damage .Ulfar a dwarf staying at Needlehole said the troll was being held at a dourhands camp and could I help him deal with it. I agreed and Hesthorn a hunter came along. Unfortunately Ulfar got hurt by the dourhands so Hesthorn, Ida and myself had to fight our way into the camp and deal with the troll which they had in a cage. We helped Ulfar back to Needlehole.

It turned out that Hesthorn knew Berawena and was going to comb to join her in a hut for Baugargh a warg that is around the blackwoods camp in chetwood. I agreed to meet him there.

When I arrived at comb there was a party of three starting the hunt, Berawena, Hesthorn and Elrhandir, who seemed very good at raising our spirits. We set off, Ida joined us and Elrhandir’s herald making a party of six. Hesthorn looking for tracks but found none ! We wonder if he had been killed or sensed a strong party was hunting for him and had hid. While looking for him many blackwood men were killed
    Eventually, he was found, we all attacked, but he was very powerful and had great strength. I sensed a darkness and madness about him. The fight went to and fro over chetwood; he got hurt but so did we. People dropped away leaving me Ida and a very wounded mad Warg. I sensed he was in lots of pain so I decided to continue with the attack to try and put him out of his misery even if it meant the end of my life.
    I succeed and there will be no longer be a poor mad Warg causing trouble.

I could not have a done much damage to him but for the valiant efforts of all the party! Another lesson learned, when working in a effective team you can do amazing things.

I have a sense that more like Baugargh will appear. Where do they come and what is the purpose ?
    I sense all this is linked in some dark plan.

I will add more extracts in two weeks

Post Berawena’s Fourth Letter Home

“Dear Sister,

I hope this letter finds you well. Your last letter was not so reassuring and I long to be back with you in Archet.

Here in Combe, where I sit in my tiny room in the inn and write to you when I can find the time, things are going well. Do you remember the tales of the “Giant Wolf of Chetwood”, a gigantic creature that ate both men, deer and other wolves alike? Well, I can tell you two things: That wolf really exists. Or, to be correct, he exists no more! With three good friends, I slew him yesterday.

Baugarch, the locals called him, which supposedly means something in Elvish that I do not understand. “Garch” is “wolf”, I think. “Bau”, I do not know. It should mean "terrible", because he was terrible indeed.

It was a long, hard fight, but I, Hesthorn, Elrhandir and Pada finally beat him - but not before he had put both me, Hest and Elr incapacitated to the ground. Only Pada was left, and his bear Ida, but the wolf was gravely wounded now and fell. I am still hurting now, even if Pada's skills as a healer is considerable.

This was a great victory. At first it felt like my javelins and axe never hurt him, but in a real fellowship we could take him on. With good friends everything is possible!

Baugarch was a mystery. Was he associated with the Blackwolds? (I think he was known to eat one or two of them from time to time). They did breed wolves and work with them to terrorize us. But I hesitate to really call him a wolf, since he was so much larger and more cunning and evil. I do not see these ruffians producing such a monster. Could he have come with the men from Angmar? Perhaps we will never know.

I hope to be able to return to Archet soon and help. Meanwhile I am including here 100 silver we have taken back from the Blackwolds. You should give them to whomever in Archet needs it the most. That probably means everybody.

Love,
    Bera”

Club Slowtro is for Laurelin players who want to challenge themselves and RP along the way. We use xp disablers to stay 5 levels below the content and advance the epic story with care and fun. Come join us - enter the chat-channel “slowtro” and say hi.

The current lvl cap is 6. On July 1st we will raise the cap to 8 and progress in the quests in the starter areas. We’ll take it slow over the summer and start up for real in the first week of September when the cap is raised to 11 and we all meet up in Bree.

Congratulations!

This is how true heroes are made.

The Townsfolk of Combe, and particularly the workers at the lumber camp, now have reason to be truly grateful for what you have done - at great risk to life and limb.

These types of adventures are the primary reason I invented Club Eclair on Landroval 18 months ago. You didn't need to have a villager with a ring over his head sending you on a quest. You saw something that needed doing - were able (because of the club) to summon friends with which to share the adventure while preserving the challenge of it, and you did it. It was a real challenge, but you prevailed.

Over at Landroval, Club Eclair, now at 30th level, is organizing a caravan this Saturday to deliver supplies to the stranded ranger stronghold in Annuminus - a Level 40 region. It is not a quest we were given. It is a challenge we have set for ourselves.

I hope that this is the first of many exciting and challenging adventures for your club - as always - best shared with friends.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group working our way through Volume II - we will be spending 2019 working our way through the Moria Instances (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow). https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-II-Into-Moria

Thank you, Tiempko! Your support means a lot

I think we're off to a promising start. Good luck with Eclair as well! We'll be following in your footsteps (large, as hobbit footsteps are).

A new page of Hesthorn's journal.

http://slowtro.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/assault/

A visual memory book of Slowtro adventures, take a look:

http://urlin.it/5cef7

Post Berawena’s Fifth Letter Home

“Dear Sister,

I have big things to tell you.

First the good: When I first left Archet, I felt so alone, like I had never felt before. Well, I don’t feel lonely anymore. Our band of brothers and sisters is growing. First there was Hesthorn, then Elrhandir and Pada, then Talarka and Berenthel. And yesterday, Jullian, a strong fighter, joined us here in Combe. And I am receiving messages from friends far and wide who have sympathy for our cause and who will help us. That fills my heart with hope.

I thought that we - you and me - were all alone in this. That Archet was history and that we would soon be swallowed by the Blackwolds and those evil men leading them. That our victory would be our last. But now I see that we are not alone. Both men, elves, hobbits and dwarves must stand together against the growing darkness. And we will.

But here’s the bad part: The darkness is so much darker than any of us ever thought. Do you remember the warg Baugarch that we killed? Well, I’ve found out that Baugarch is not a name - it’s a type. It’s not “the Baugarch” but “a Baugarch”. Talarka, the elf, told me it means “cruel fang”, and they are bred by Angmar for warfare in the Ettenmoors. A war-warg. Wholly unnatural. A construct. A killing machine of flesh, bones, fur and blood.

There are many more of them. And yesterday we fought several. We defeated two, but it was a hard, vicious fight. The second Baugarch broke my shield and tore into my arm. There were six of us against one warg - I wouldn’t call us exactly heroes, but we are experienced fighters now - and still we only barely survived. I shiver at the thought of what even one Baugarch could do to the remains of Archet.

We took out the heart of one of them. I know this sounds macabre. But Leecher Cartwell of Combe said he would help us find information on the creature if he could see their hearts. So we cut it out and put it in Hesthorn’s bag. Poor Hesthorn. He wasn’t exactly clean before, since he has been travelling so much, but now he really needs a bath!

Cartwell said that he was sure that the blood of the Baugarch was all black and evil and a product of Angmar. He had to consult more books and talk to wiser people - but then fear overcame him and he asked us to leave. I cannot blame him for not wanting any part in this.

We will press on and attack the Blackwolds again. We must have proof that the wargs are associated with them and came with the Angmarim. It seems to be the case, but now we must know.

I beg you: Do not share what I write with anybody. It would only make them despair. And despair is not what we need. Hope is what we need.

I only have one last question:

Whatever should we do with the heart?”

Club Slowtro is growing rapidly. We now have 12 registered “turtles” on the site and more pop into the channel from time to time. If you want to join us, simply join the chat-channel “slowtro” and say hi. We’re currently capped at level 6 but will progress to lvl 8 this Tuesday. The warg-story will continue - and so will all the other stories you make yourself.

If you want to know more, go to the beginning of this thread.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Oct 19 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Thumbs up

From a Clabauterman's post on the Shivtr site:

"We've had a lot of fun creating the two Baugarch-events (and hopefully the third one tomorrow). At the first one we were four turtles (and won), and the second saw six turtles chasing the warg - and two more were scheduled to attend but couldn't make it. It would have been beautiful with a raid-sized group going after the Cruel Fang, but maybe that will come next time.

Anyway, the point is that grouping is what (in my opinion) makes playing the game fun, which is part of the reason why Club Slowtro came to be. I do not have much interest in "leeting, looting and levelling", but I love immersion, Tolkien-RP and going out there with a good group of friends. So I think we all want more of that.

The Baugarch-event was sort of improvised. I always hated that warg (and loved that he was there to make my time in the Chetwood miserable), and it was clear that it took a dedicated group to crush it. So why not four level 6 characters? And apparently there was a lot of stories to tell just from that warg: Why was he there? What's the connection with the Blackwolds? Is there just one or many - and so on. Now the Baugarch-story is going to continue, and who knows where it will take us?

What I'm saying is that we should have more of this. My plan is to try to set up events for (at least) the epic questline as well, so those who wants to, and see a reason to, can do those together. Not only the fellowship quests, but all of them. A lot of fun could come from that, and we could also RP the NPC's by using the /say channel. I've seen that done in another group. Remember that everybody can set up events - I know that my schedule usually only allows me to play late in the evening (CET), so feel free to do stuff whenever it suits you.

As the story unfolds there will be plenty of other group opportunities - slayer deeds, exploration, fellowship quests, elite mobs, or just events and ideas created out of nowhere - like Baugarch. Let's make good use of those opportunities!

Additionally - try to group as much as you can, when you're online. It simply becomes a lot more fun that way."

Level Cap raised to 8

As planned, the level cap for Club Slowtro goes up today to 8. We ended level 6 with a bang, by gathering 8 turtles for a raid-sized hunt for Baugarch and a continuation - and maybe an ending - of that story.

Now we will contine on through the starter areas, which means Staddle for the humans who seem to dominated slowtro so far. The plan is still to raise the level cap to 10 in August and 11 in the beginning of September, when we will all gather in Bree and the "real" adventure will begin with Volume 1, Book 1, Chapter 1. One of the club members, the Gondorian captain Elrhandir, has already mentioned a wise, grey wanderer named "Mithrandir" who we may need to talk to.

This was posted on slowtro.shivtr.com:

"So I think that we finished the chapter on Baugarch (at least for now). The creature is associated with the Angmarim who support the Blackwolds, and it probably came over the pass to the Weather Hills - we tried to scout it out, but a vicious Half-Orc sent us reeling back to Chetwood. Maybe he is part of the transportation of wargs to Chetwood?

Anyway, we will soon be moving on from Chetwood, and with the death of Jagger Jack perhaps the threat will not be as big. But we may, some day, return to scout the path between Chetwood and the Weather Hills. Or if somebody wants to take that assignment now, they could do so?

The hunt for Baugarch really gave us an opportunity to flesh out our characters some more. I always think that the best RP comes from the response and reactions of the characters to the events unfolding. It was fun yesterday to see Wil the fisherboy trying to trot along, the always sceptic Berenthel being the pessimistic voice of reason, the brave Elrhandir bringing news from Gondor, the philosophical Pada padding Ida, and so on. I hope we'll see a lot more of that."

Friends, I have an idea which maybe you want to consider. I was thinking about last hunt for Baugarch. Eight people took part - must have been fun to interact, but to fight - most likely not su much? First time it was four club members against the Warg so it was a challenge, for a second time I would have tried three members to go for the bigger challenge and bigger sense of accomplishment.
    And I think once we come together in Bree this issue will arise more often as our club expands (hopefully). Lets imagine quests where 10 people join...
    Well, I would like to propose possible solution: when we announce events let's mark them in two different ways - CH (Challenge, this means that you want only fixed amount of people and you say - two more, three more, five more, etc.), if event is interesting and there are more wanting to do it, club leaders (Berawena/Hesthorn) can arrange for a second group to gather with suitable story to follow. I think, Club Eclair on Landroval does so. So these events would show maximum challenge presented
    Other marking would be RP - there would be no maximum people and emphasis would be put not on questing, but on interacting among ourselves, having good time, etc.

Thank you for a great suggestion. We'll see what is needed as we go along. But remember that it by no means have to be me or Hesthorn who sets up events. Anybody can do so if there's something to be done - like you have done with the call to adventure in the Shire

Reg. Baugarch I'd say that six-manning the warg was actually still a challenge. With 8 - and a excellent kiter in Berenthel - it was ok, only one or two deaths. But I think Baugarch is an exception in that it is (unfortunaly) very rare to find such challenging monster in the middle of a normal quest-area.

What we could do - if we are a big group - was also to take on creatures that are maybe 8-10 levels higher than us. We downed a level 18 spider as an 8-man group with no problems. There might be some troll-areas that could be a huge challenge for even a group of 8 or 10 turtles.

Tiempko, if you're watching this thread, perhaps you could tell us something about how Eclair organizes groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Clabauterman View Post
    Tiempko, if you're watching this thread, perhaps you could tell us something about how Eclair organizes groups?
    Yep, I watch this group. I'm going to take some of your ideas. You're doing well.

As for groups . . .

The first thing to note is that we work on the idea that this is a game, and the Eclair is a tool for enhancing the game. It is an opportunity to do what we enjoy. On this philosophy, if somebody wants to try to take on Baugarch with a small fellowship, that player would announce, "I'm looking for a couple of people to help me in a warg hunt." If the player wanted to walk into Bree and shop for clothes, the player would announce, "I'm going to walk into Bree and hunt for a new outfit, who wants to come with me?"

By that, I mean each person should form an idea of, "This is something that I would enjoy." And not be afraid to ask for company.

It also works a whole lot better to have something to do in mind when asking for a group.

The second thing to note is that Baugarch is unique. As such, it serves as a poor model for what the club will encounter in the future.

Even at level + 5 (with the exception of a few shard droppers and elite areas such as the barrows of the southern Barrow Downs, Garth Agarwen, and Dol Dinen) everything is soloable. Nothing will kill you, unless you are afk. Two characters travelling together have nothing to fear on regular landscape at level + 5. If you want challenge, you will need to manufacture it. For example, when your group attacks the goblin camp, assume that the whole camp will be alerted when the fight starts. That is, charge in, and agro every mob within range.)

Of course, it is easier to manufacture challenge for a smaller group than a larger group. Other than skirmish raids and wandering into areas 10+ levels above the group, I can't think of anything that will challenge a raid-sized group. (Club Éclair is talking about a mission to flip one of the three strongholds in Annuminus.)

We have found that smaller groups are better not only for manufacturing some level of challenge, but also for roleplaying. When there are a lot of people, some will dominate the roleplaying, and most will fade into the background. With a smaller group, everybody gets noticed. (However, context is important. For a dangerous mission such as marching on the General's tent in Dol Dinen, and for social events such as the picnic in Northcotton Farms, larger groups work just fine.)

3 to 5 players seems to be optimal for both roleplaying and for manufacturing challenge. Consequently - except for social events such as picnics or particularly dangerous challenges - we do tend to split up into smaller groups. (Note: 4 or 5 players can also do most instances such as Retake Weathertop at level + 5, the Great Barrow, and Fornost on level.)

Note: It is possible to split up without going entirely different directions. "Aearthor, you take Brabbo, Willameena, and Halno enter Nan Wathren from Trestlebridge. I'll go with Erikin, Roy, and Heminhaw and attack Nan Wathren from the side of Meluinen. We'll meet in the middle."

Oh, one more thing. We have found that it is useful to set up some times when people can expect a group to start. For Éclair, it is Saturday at 9:00 AM and Monday at 9:00 PM server time. These are times when finding a group is guaranteed - and also excellent opportunities for discussing plans, discussing when the next change in the level cap will happen, planning an irregular group event, letting each other know their intentions and what they might want company for, and keeping people informed on club news.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Jul 02 2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group working our way through Volume II - we will be spending 2019 working our way through the Moria Instances (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow). https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-II-Into-Moria

Thank you Tiempko to keeping an eye on us, your tips are gold for us...newbies

Anyway, we have so much going on like journals, backgrounds, stories for our character and a lot of RP of course that we may have lost sight of the purpose for which this club exists:

Group, to play quests, skirms, deeds etc...clearly RPing every situation we have to face!

A new page of Hestorn's journal is out:

- Balckwolds -

Archet was destroyed and many fell that night, but despite everything the Shadow seemed to have moved away from that place and the survivors were already starting to re-build Archet, now was John Brackenbrook who lead the community and i am sure he will be a good leader for many years.
    My help was no longer needed and nothing held me there, Brackenbrook thanked me and suggested to direct me to Combe, maybe at the inn I could have find out more informations about the fate of Amdir.
    Combe is a little bigger than Archet, but offers many more services: a blacksmith, some sellers and the less welcoming inn I’ve ever seen: the Comb and Wattle Inn, on entering I could see only four drunks sitting at a table, a few hens scratching on the floor and the surly owner behind the counter.

...continues at: http://goo.gl/UzZ9UB

Berawena's Sixth Letter Home

"Dear sister,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am good, but a bit shaken from recent events. I have many things to tell you.

I have given much thought to the "rangers". You know them well, I think, more than I did. I never did like them much. They always seemed mysterious, caught up in themselves, dirty. I never gave much for the old tales of how they were related to the kings of old, such a ragged bunch of hoboes! They always seemed more like grey-eyed beggars and bandits to me. And I still don't really know what to think of them. They might all be a lot better or a lot worse than we thought. And if the rangers are a much better lot than we thought, then all of us will be much worse off! Because apparently Angmar is coming and they have a score to settle with the rangers!

I remember when that poor Amdir showed up in Archet, and I did think his companion Aragorn different from any man I have ever seen or met. So there might be something to the old tales, or so my new elven friend Talarka tells me. He took me to Bree to show me a part of the town I have never seen before (but then again I haven't been there much, it is much too big for me!) - som ruins in the western part of town - and here he showed me a large "crest", a symbol on the wall, a tree with seven stars and a crown, the symbol of the ancient realm of Arnor which stood here before Archet was even a glint in a farmer's eye. I have never seen such a beautiful crest before, and it shook something in me, gave me the chills and made me proud at the same time.

Talarka told me that the rangers are indeed the remnants of the people of Arnor, and that they fight to regain their former glory but also to protect us from evils. In that case they might not be doing such a good job - because I keep thinking that if Amdir and Aragorn never came to Archet, the town might never have been burned down. They came for Amdir did they not?

At least they took him with them. And another ranger, Toradan, sent me and my companions - yes we have a real company now, The Company of the Tortoise, because we move slowly but are hard to beat and always arrive at our destination in the end - to find Amdir in the Blackwold hideout below the falls near Combe. Who knew that they were hiding there?!

Am I forgetting something? Yes, we did fight the baugarchs again and we did poison the food supply of the blackwolds in Chetwood. I will not tell you what I think that food consisted of. I think we succeeded in reducing their strength, at least for now. Which is why Toradan sent us on, or gave us a tip. We posed as new recruits for the blackwolds and met their leader Skunkwood who led us to Amdir. But it was horrible! He was all changed, like a ghost, but a vicious one! He was all shouts and fangs and claws, gone mad by some wound or witchcraft. It was like he was turning into an evil spirit before our very eyes. He slew Toradan, who came to find us, and escaped to who knows where. It was madness. Now I know that the blackwolds were just pawns and that much darker forces are gathering. But I am still unsure about the role of the rangers. I don't know if to trust them. I will not trust anybody but my friends in the company of the tortoise.

Them, and you, of course. I am sending you 100 silver for the rebuilding of Archet.

Just when I thought it might be time to come back, I am being sucked further into this evil quest. I feel tired, and I have scars already on my arms from my battles. I look much older. But I will never stop.

Love,
    Bera"

Club Slowtro is a group of like-minded players who want to advance slowly through the world of Middle-Earth and meanwhile enjoy both challenging gameplay, grouping and role-playing. We use xp-disablers to stay 4-5 levels below the content, and we organize throught a chat channel (/joinchannel slowtro) as well as our site slowtro.shivtr.com. The only requirements are to respect the level cap (currently 8) and engage in RP when our characters go on adventures. So come join us!

We advanced the level cap to 8 on July 1st. As there is still plenty to do we will advance to level 9 on August 1st and then to 10 on September 1st. This will end the prologue and start the real adventure, when we will all be called to Bree.

We now have a steady core of about 10-12 "turtles". We've had three episodes of encounters with the baugarch which expanded on the epic story, we've had a dwarven led foray into Rath Teraig and are working on slayer deeds, Shire goodbyes, a trip to Esteldin and much more. We are fleshing out our characters as well as advancing the epic story by making it more plausible and exciting for our characters to participate - for example by extensive (and fun) character journals and biographies. You should also check out Hesthorns cool picture archive and wordpress journal.

Personally I'll be away fromt the game for the next four to five weeks, but will be active on the forums and our site slowtro.shivtr.com.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast