We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Tiempko, thank you for that great advice! We will surely do it that way - soon. First, events will take us to the North Downs ... Book 3 is calling.
    "The turtle is my trinket". Founder of Club Slowtro.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.

Smile

We have now just started Volume I Book 3, so it's a perfect time to jump (slowly) on the (slow-moving) Slowtro Bandwagon!

Sketches from our latest travels

Berawena has always had a way with a woodcutting knife, so here are some sketches she has made and sent to her sister in Archet.

The heroes about to enter Fornost: Kiri, Lylan, Ermenrich, Bera, Rychyrd and Jim (facing the wrong way, always the contrarian)

Lylan wishing a kind old lady goodbye. I wonder who she was?

Inside Megoriath's Cave - prepared indeed.

Another quest from Halbarad

Bera fighting orcs at Trestlebridge!

---
    Club Slowtro might have been absent from the forums, but we are still going strong! Turtling our way through Middle-Earth, we are a group of like minded players who like to challenge ourselves by staying 5 levels below the content we run (using xp disablers) and RPing along the way - doing everything from scouting missions to tough instances. We have a regular weekly session on Wednesday night (9.30 PM CEST, roughly). Right now we're at level 25 (jumping to 27 this Monday) and are based in Esteldin, closing in on Dol Dinen ... if you would like to join us, pop into our chat channel /slowtro or check out our website slowtro.shivtr.com.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.

Post Berawena's Tenth Letter Home

"Dear Sister,

It has been a long time since you heard from me. But events have been unfolding fast. In the Lone-Lands we got involved with a band of troubled men living in the ruins of Ost Guruth - a place that was once a fair city but is now only a shadow of its former self. The Eglain they call themselves, but you might as well call them the Forsaken. They were troubled by goblins and orcs and other foul creatures - but they had in their midst the one we were searching for, Radagast. A strange wizard he was. It seemed he wanted more to do with the squirrels of the woods and the toads of the lakes than with us.

Still, Radagast knew things that we needed to know: That the Lone-Lands were beset by a evil that is no longer nameless: Angmar has sent his lieutenants, Ivar the Blood Hand and the Red Maid, and they have awoken the dead of Rhudaur, the betrayers of the Dunedain. We have only searched the outskirts of their forts, since we were called away for other business, but we now know a lot more. Unfortunately what we know is not good. In some way I wish it could be unknown again.

Still, Radagst felt that to meet the danger facing us we had to travel to the North Downs to the town of Esteldin, where the remnants of the Dunedain - the Rangers of the North - have made their camp. These are the companions of Strider and Gandalf and I have grown to trust them. One of their leaders, Halbarad, has seen the danger clearer than any others I have talked to. While the Lone-Lands are besieged by necromantic evil, the North Downs are threatened by more mundane dangers: goblins, orcs and trolls - and wargs. No less evil, no less dangerous.

Guardian of Esteldin

A ranger with a plan

The witch-king of Angmar is raising not one but three armies here. In Nan Wathren, in Dol Dinen and in the old king’s castle of Fornost. We have fought skirmishes with all three army groups, but for every victory we score, more enemies seem to appear. By all logic, Angmar must be emptied by now - but I fear it is not so.

But we must not lose hope. If Esteldin falls, then Trestlebridge will fall, and then Bree will fall. And all will be lost. Halbarad is gathering an alliance of men, elves and dwarves and we are helping him do so. It strengthens me to know that we have allies and friends everywhere, if one knows how to find them.

We have grown to call ourselves “turtles”. Ask not where the name came from, as I do not know. But I think it is because we move slowly, yet never lose stride - and we’re hard-hided and hard-biting. Once we bite in, we never let go!

Our little band is working hard to secure the borders on all sides. Jimhaden, Lylan, Kiri and Rychyrd all take their turns. Ermenrich is wounded, but I hope he will recover soon. Reginart the hobbit we lost somewhere near Fornost, but I hope we see him again soon. More friends are always needed, so send any you can find. I hope to hear from you soon. How is mom and dad?

When I am not busy, I try to sketch my memories. I am sending some here. Will send more soon.

Sister, I send you my love,
    Bera"

---
    Club Slowtro is still in the North Downs, attacking Dol Dinen, looking for the Troll-Keeper and scouting the outskirts of Angmar. If you have a character around level 27 who is up for some slow, slow action and role-play, come join us. More details at the beginning of this thread.

Dragons!

“I’ve seen dragons!” said Lylan.

“Dragons?” I said. “Dragons don’t exist. They’re the stuff of old wives tales.”

“I tell you, I’ve seen dragons. Up in the mountain passes that lead to Angmar,” Lylan insisted.

“Dragons exist,” said Kiri. “Dwarves know as much. Or they existed. The last one was shot down over Lake Town years ago.”

“Whatever,” I said. “Even if they do exist, I’m pretty sure you didn’t see one, Lylan.”

“Not one ... but many!” she said. “I’ll show you!”

And off we went, into the mountains north of Esteldin. The borders of Angmar. My first time going there. I fear it will not be my last.

We crossed fields full of wargs and foothills full of spiders - and then inside the pass, we saw it: A slithering, scaly monster with a gaping mouth full of sharp, pointy teeth.

“There!” said Lylan. She pointed, proud.

I gasped, horrified.

“It hasn’t any wings,” said Kiri and shrugged.

“So?” said Lylan.

“So, it’s not a dragon ... it’s a worm. I studied this stuff.”

“Sigh,” said Lylan.

“Let’s kill it anyway,” I said.

And we did. And many of its kind. But they were just worms.

That is until ... we saw it. “It” being this time a gigantic creature, much larger than the worms. Shiny red scales, batlike wings, a roaring mouth full of fire!

“If that is not a dragon, I don’t know what is!” said Lylan, whispering and shouting at the same time.

I gasped again, my knees shaking.

“Technically ...” said Kiri, “that one is not a dragon. Its a Drake. Because even if it has wings, it cannot fly.”

“Sigh,” said Lylan.

“Whatever,” I said. “Let’s kill it.”

So we did. And many like it. We went deep up into the mountains above Esteldin and killed worms and drakes, so many they cannot be counted. Lylan had to go back as she had fired all her arrows. Kiri and I headed on, got lost in a maze of passes and crags and deep, slimy holes filled with drakes. Over a ledge we saw at the bottom of a deep chasm some kind of human settlement. Hillmen, Kiri said. Neither on our side or the enemy’s. They will have to choose, I said. Someday, they will have to choose.

We went back. We had found worms and drakes, but no dragons. In some way it comforted me. Dragons do not exist. At least that I could be sure of: dragons do not exist.

And then I saw it...

---
    Club Slowtro is a club for like-minded LOTRO players on the Laurelin server. We use xp disablers to stay 4-5 levels below the content and try to do all the (group) content available in this great game, RP'ing and challenging ourselves at the same time. We do fun exploration trips and tough instances and everything in between. Current level cap is 27 (Esteldin and surroundings), and our current fixed slowtro night is Wednesday, around 9.30 PM EuropeanST. If you have a character level 27 or below and want to be a "turtle", join our chat channel /slowtro, visit slowtro.shivtr.com or check the first post in this thread.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; May 22 2015 at 04:04 AM.

"The Plan" - Summer 2015

The summer is usually an (even) slower time for the turtles, so here's what we hope to achieve this summer:

We've come a long way gathering the Council of the North to counter the massive orc and goblin armies of Angmar, and we've helped Radagast in the Lone Lands find out more about Ivar and the Red Maid, who threatens the Free Peoples from the East. But now, Aragorn the Ranger has sent us traveling to Evendim and the old city of Annúminas to help him mend the blade that was broken - none other than the sword Narsil, that cut off the ring from Sauron's hand (if the stories are to be believed).

People are going to be on holidays and stuff coming up shortly, so a lot of this is flexible. If we have only a few people on we might just do quests in the appropriate areas, if there are more we can try fellowship stuff.

10/06 Rivendell - Explore / Discuss journey to Evendim (see Jim's post on the forums of our "Shortcut through mushrooms")
    17/06 Evendim - Oatbarton (Level 28 Trouble in Tuckborough)
    24/06 Evendim - Kings Crossing
    01/07 Evendim - Tinnundir
    08/07 Evendim - Ost Forod (Level 30 if need be)
    15/07 Evendim - Tyl Ruinen
    22/07 Evendim
    29/07 Evendim
    05/08 Trollshaws (Level 32)

In August we plan to be level 32 which means we'll be starting Book 4 of the epic quests - and we'll also be able to return to Garth Agarwen and finally make a dent in that Barkgrim's bark.

Book 4 mostly takes place in the Trollshaws and concerns the hunt for a nazgul!

Between Oatbarton and King's Crossing, there is Dwaling and the glass blowers. It has a nice story for a roleplaying group.

Also . . . I hope you don't mind my saying, when we got to Oatbarton we had a picnic at Northcotton Farm. We spent a couple of hours all going around the farm preparing for the faire, then we gathered at the pond for fishing, a meal around a fire, than sat around with pipe weed and ale and had some excellent conversation.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Jun 11 2015 at 06:25 PM.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

Good advice, thanks. I love the little A Formal Complaint storyline in Dwaling.

We did have a short hobbit second-breakfast in the Trollshaws when we walked to Rivendell ... So perhaps a quiet lunch in Northcotton is in order?

Greetings!

I was wondering about joining this, but I'm only level 6. Would I need to reach a group appropriate level before joining up?

Thanks.

Greetings Draygan!

You are very welcome to join! However, most members are at level 28 by now - but you're very welcome to join our chat channel /slowtro and see if anybody can help you level up or want to accompany you. Also check out our site at slowtro.shivtr.com to see what's going on.

Please be advised that summers tend to be a slow season (I'll be gone for most of July for example).

Thanks for the info, I shall join the chan next time I'm on. Levelling is no problem, I'm 11 now just from 30 mins playtime. I assume I'd limit the XP at 28 and joinup with everyone elses pace?

I am an old Dwarven Runekeeper, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Draygan View Post
    Thanks for the info, I shall join the chan next time I'm on. Levelling is no problem, I'm 11 now just from 30 mins playtime. I assume I'd limit the XP at 28 and joinup with everyone elses pace?

I am an old Dwarven Runekeeper, by the way.
    It will be great to have you on board. Note that the level cap is raised to 30 and we're on our way to the Trollshaws. Check out slowtro.shivtr.com.

Post A short message from Bera

Dear Sister - No I am not dead! No, I did not break my neck on the rocks of the Trollshaws or drown in the cursed bloodpits of Agamaur. I am still here. We are still here! I am sorry to keep you waiting so long - but we have been occupied by laying waste to the grim fortress of Garth Agarwen and travelling by foot to Rivendell - yes that fabled city of the elves. I have seen it now. I will send you sketches ...

I am writing you to tell you that we will now go on to our most dangerous task yet. We will track down a Black Rider somewhere in the Trollshaws. You may have heard of them when they came through Bree. I do not know where they come from, but they are more dangerous than anything we have faced so far - they hail from Angmar or from even farther away, a place that cannot be named. So wish me luck, dear sister! And if one day you gain the strength ... come join me.

---
    Club Slowtro is still going strong. "The Turtles" are out of the summer daze and back in action. We’ve just finished a lot of Garth Agarwen runs (if GA on-level runs are your thing, this is the time to jump on the turtle bandwagon), and will continue Book 4 in the Trollshaws. Many new turtles have arrived after the summer and yesterday, Bera, Beriadir, Aelash, Gwen and Ollia again ventured into Garth Agarwen.

Slowtro is a chat channel and a gentleman’s agreement to stay capped at a certain level using xp-disablers (currently 32) and face challenges 4-5 levels above ours. Also, we try to engage in walk-and-talk RP, but have been focusing a lot on action lately. That way we can experience everything Middle-Earth has to offer and still find a challenge waiting, as well as good friendship and grouping.

If you have a character at level 32 or below (or 33, we’ll be approaching that soon), come join us in our chatchannel slowtro or at slowtro.shivtr.com
    You can also read a lot more at the beginning of this thread.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Sep 18 2015 at 04:26 PM.

Question Where Is The Rider?

Welcome to Imladris, Berawena. It is good that you have come. Rest well, but not too deeply or too long! We have need of adventuring folk, for there is evil beyond the vale.

'Not more than two months ago, a hobbit by the name of Frodo Baggins and his companions were pursued to the Ford of Bruinen by servants of the Enemy. I speak of the Nine, the Nazgûl, fell creatures in the service of Sauron, and though the Bruinen fell upon them at my command, we have found the steeds of only eight. One of the Riders is unaccounted for.

'My sons set forth with scouts bound to them by friendship to seek this missing Rider. I ask that you speak with Elladan at their camp of Thorenhad, among the Bruinen Gorges, and lend your aid to the search. We must learn where this Nazgûl has gone, and most importantly, his designs.

---

So said Elrond - it is time we go searching for this rider! First session Wednesday, Sep 30.

In the fall season, Berawena will focus on the Epic Quests, getting the turtles onwards on that great trip to Angmar.

We've also started up two other weekly sessions: Monday is "Completionists Night" headed by Beriadir. And Thursdays are "Second Wave" nights, where Alforath will head a new bunch of turtles starting level 5.

---
    Club Slowtro is for players who want to challenge themselves and RP their way through Middle-Earth. We use xp disablers to stay 5 levels below the content and advance the epic story with care and fun. Come join us! More info: http://bit.ly/slowtro

After Book 4

We've helped Elladan and Elrond scout for the missing Black Rider - it took us all the way into the woods with Legolas and fights with a band of giant wood trolls.

We're currently at level 35, and Book 5 doesn't start until level 37 (level 42, like the band). The logical move would be to go to the Misty Mountains - but the problem there is that most quests also doesn't start until level 37.

So Bera's proposal is that for the next 2 levels we attack Annuminas - and maybe Fornost as well - trying to get our hands on how to handle the instances a bit more. It's going to be a lot of fun!

---
    If you have a character at level 35 and want to run Annuminas or Fornost - you're more than welcome to join Club Slowtro. More information at the beginning of this thread.

Attack on Annuminas - Event for Nov 4th session

Friends, Turtles, Eriadorians! The time has come to reclaim the city of Annuminas from the Angmarim who have taken the city in co-operation with their friends, the grave-robbers. This is the first time we will engage Angmarim in force, so keep your weapons sharp and your wits sharper!

The city of Annuminas - even outside the instances - contain some pretty sharp resistance from loads of Angmarim. Bera and Jullian have undertaken som very dangerous scouting missions, but now we all need to go in and win the day for the Rangers. We'll meet at Tinnudir. No prerequesite quests necessary, but its a good idea to have finished at least some Everdim quests and become aquainted with the rangers.

The Tomb of Elendil - Wednesday December, 9th

Entering the Tomb of Elendil

Dear Sister,

We are still alive, even if you hear from us rarely. We have been busy scouting out the ancient city of Annuminas way north of Bree - you have read of it, I am sure (as I most certainly have not before I started my long travels). We are here because we have been sent to help repair a “Blade That Was Broken” - that means helping Strider of Bree reclaim his broken sword, Narsil, which will be a great weapon in the fight against Angmar.

Right now we - Bera, Jullian and Aelash - are gathering at the Tomb of Elendil (the ancient king) to recover a gem called the Silithar, which will be used to forge Narsil. The problem is that the tomb is full of tomb-robbers! We need to gather our strength and perhaps find new allies to best them.

Tomorrow, we go again...

Club Slowtro is alive and kicking, and we’re right now doing the full fellowship instance The Tomb of Elendil, part of the quest-chain The Blade That Was Broken. We’re at level 37 and doing the quest at level 40, and we’ve had a lot of trouble - but also a lot of fun. If you’d like to come with us for the instance and have a character at level 37 who’s ready for the Tomb of Elendil - come join us in our chat channel /slowtro or at slowtro.shivtr.com - our weekly sessions are Wednesday at 9.30 PM CEST

I'm downloading as we speak.

This is the best idea. I remember being a group that did something like this it was called 'The Wandering Company' and we progressed together and tried to stay on the same level as we ventured throughout the epic storyline saga. I have a character around level 35-ish and I'll try to keep in touch and see if I can join in on this awesomeness. I love role-playing and I love the idea of making the game challenging and engaging. See you ingame!

Oh and I'll definitely try and help out with anything relatable to crafting and deed hunting!
    Last edited by Eodinn; Jan 06 2016 at 05:30 AM.

Great to hear from you, Eodinn. We're looking forward to seeing you in Arda!

Dear Company,

at start of letter wanna introduce myself. I'm Xenea Mithdiliniel, Quendi, the Rune-keeper. I hear so much about your adventure over Middle-earth. My first encounter with your company was at Rivendell. Where you meet up Lord Elrond. He told me what your comapny done and what road you following. After long decision making and many sleepless nights, I want join your Comapny and help you much as possible.

I follow your steps into Evendim and ruined city of kings Annuminas, but seems like I miss you. After speak with Dunedain Rangers in ruins of city, you leave city few days before my arrival. Rangers sending you acknowledgment with help in ruins of city, but they still got a lot work here. Seems like I give then helping-hand, still many Angmarins around. After help, try catch up your company soon.

But where your steps go? Many rangers talks you find something in depths of city, and you head into northwest. Hope they lead me to right direction.

Best regards and blessings.
    Xenea

to the heroes of Arda

Club Slowtro has need of your aid, we are looking to recruit two or three adventurers of renown to join us in our travels. Gwenethwyn, Duralagos and Lirduniel (this humble elf) have recently arrived in the outpost of Myrkworth in East Angmar and soon we must turn our thoughts to the fortress city of Carn Dum ancient seat of the witch king. Unfortunately we have lost several companions on the way so If you would enjoy exploring all that middle earth has to offer in the company of friendly and relatively mature like minded souls (and you have a character in the level range of 40-50) please feel free to get in touch in this thread or at http://slowtro.shivtr.com/ to find out more.

Club Slowtro is for players who want to challenge themselves and RP (lite) their way through Middle-Earth at a pace where the story takes centre stage. We use xp disablers to stay typically 5 levels below the content and advance the epic story with care and fun. We have a regular event on Wednesdays at 8.30pm (UK) and at other times by arrangement. Most of group content is either fellowship quests or instances aligned with the central story. All classes welcome to get in touch, at present we are Lore Mater, Rune Keeper and Hunter (all level 45).

we also have a kin - the company of the tortoise - however we would welcome players from different kinships to join us.

Just so you know . . . If you are following the Epic Story line . . . Club Eclair on Landroval found nothing that we could not do in Sarnur, Urugarth, or Carn Dum that could not be done with four characters - including the slaying of Mordirith himself. So, you should be able to go through the this much with just one more person.

On the other hand, the Battles of Aughire took a full fellowship, and the deed that requires visiting the towers on the south and east sides of Barad Gularan took ore than a fellowship.

Still, the more the merrier. I have been more than pleased to be able to adventure in these instances in a way that resembles their original design.

Seriously, if folks have wanted to play the Shadows of Angmar end-game content as something like the way it was originally experienced, there is nothing better than a leveling group like Club Slowtro. I wish you the best of luck in your recruitment.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Tiempko. We have currently just finished Book 7 without any hiccups.
    Onwards to Book 8.. not liking the look of Circle of Despair. lol

*I had more questions but probably best to check your posts*
    Last edited by JimhadaUK; May 30 2016 at 04:37 AM.

recently we bumped into an old friend Grorax (Guard) and made a new one in Eodrim (Cappy). Both have joined us in taking the fight to the false king. We'd be delighted to have another travel with us on our adventures (details 3 posts above)

currently at level 45 book 8 and exploring Carn Dum (Helchgam)

thanks for the kind words Tiempko =)

Marshland Motivator

A letter to the Company from Corunir:

„Hail to the Turtles!

It has been months since you left Aughaire and set out to do the task I should have found the strength in myself to do. The people of these lands and my kin shall forever be grateful to you for your valiant efforts in these forsaken lands.
    Although the loss of Golodir is a dire one and we all mourn with him, do not let that shadow the victorious encounter you had with Mordirith in the fell fortress of Carn Dúm!
    We should not allow ourselves to be overcome with grief as many still needs our help... and this is one of the reasons I am hoping the falcon’s flight to you will be swift and true.

A few weeks after you have left Aughaire a man called Siggar came with his companion seeking the Ranger that called for help. There was something about him that reminded me of my captain, Golodir. He had a strong, willful presence that inspired the men around him – one could see this the most in the eyes of his young companion that followed him everywhere, carrying his banner.
    Despite his brief stay in Aughaire he managed to demonstrate some unparallelled skills when it came to making food and even attempted to advice the Hillmen on how to work the barren lands around the settlement. Although this man seemed to be well known and respected throughout many places in Eriador – just like the members of your Company: the stories told and the presence of some rare and valuable tokens – I am sure that he was not from around here. His traits and coat-of-arms reminded me of a journey I have made far to the East many, many years ago. He seemed to have grown fond of these lands the past years, though, especially the Shire folk. He was the type of man that kept moving forward and never looked back.

It was a welcome arrival and it gladdened my heart to see such adventurers turn up when the need was great. So I soon decided to share with him the knowledge we have gathered regarding the Watching Stones and he, too, set out to defeat an Ancient Spirit to be able to follow your footsteps deep into enemy territory. That was the last time I have seen or heard from him until very recently. What I am about to tell you is of great concern to me and truth be told scares me a great deal...

Just a day ago a small group of hunters came to Aughaire from Tyrn Lhuig with provisions and news of a man who I firmly believe to be Siggar. Less than a moon ago a steed and a goat wondered into their encampement weary from traveling, beset by fear, carrying nothing but trappings and packs. The hunters started to look for their owner in Malenhad but had no luck for an entire week. They were about to give up hope when they run into a small group of goblins just Southwest of Bail Boglakh, heading towards a Watching Stone. A small fight ensued and most of the goblins were driven away. One, however, was badly wounded and wishing to keep his life he offered to share the whereabouts of some loot the group set out to claim for themselves. The hunters followed up and found a man, not very far from the Watching Stone, in a terrible state. He must have challenged a spirit far greater than many of us could ever think of. Lying still like a carcass, countless wounds covering his body, his eyes staring into the abyss, most of his equipment taken.
    As the hunters were approaching the body a ghostly figure has emerged from under the ground. It was not an evil spirit of old, not at all. This entity seemed to have been bound to the man lying on the ground, wielding a banner and a sword in his hands. A protective presence and a feel of great sadness surrounded it. Strangely the body had not started to decompose yet and there was a lack of foul odours. The hunters also felt a beam of hope upon their hearts and encouragement during the encounter and decided to take the body with themselves to a tribe herbalist.

Interestingly the body of the man started to recover on the way back to the encampement already, the herbalist’s treatment seemed to only enhance the slow mending. His mounts in the camp recognized him and became calm, even in the presence of the Bound – a name that was given to the ghostly figure by the tribesman. However it seemed that a frightening burden has been cast upon his mind by the Enemy as his memories were all but lost to him. Vague, hazy pictures in his mind of the places he visited, no recollection of faces or names.

Tearless he mourns the companion he lost in the battle.

Most of his abilities and deep-rooted feelings were somehow retained, though... and there is a growing desire in him to fight the shadow that has done this to him. The Hillmen hunters can not stand against the camps of the enemy and help him regain his possessions, nor he can remember anyone he could turn to. I set him on this path and whatever foul curse he has become a victim of I feel responsible. However I also feel that my kin needs every one of us, Rangers, now more than ever and if Aragorn should decide that our purpose is now fulfilled in the North he might call upon us – a call I can not refuse to answer. I do not know how long it will take Siggar to recover, if he ever will... So I turn to your Company:
    Help this man, so that he may help many!

Yours Faithfully,
    CORUNIR”
    Last edited by Nogen; Aug 03 2016 at 12:50 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4