We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Club Slowtro - A slow-leveling roleplay adventure club on Laurelin

Club Slowtro - starting June 2014

Do you want to make the game challenging again? Do you like grouping and role-playing? Do you want to experience everything LOTRO has to offer, taking it slowly and bit by bit? Then Club Slowtro might be something for you.

“What is Club Slowtro?”

Club Slowtro (pronounce it, and it will make more sense) is a chat channel and a gentleman’s agreement for players on Laurelin who want to take it slow, experience it all and make the game challenging again. And have fun grouping and RP’ing along the way.

Club members are to hold their characters at the same level - either by restricting their adventures or by using the XP disabler. We all agree to progress at about the same rate so that, when there is group content to be done, we can come together to complete it. Also, we will challenge ourselves and run quests up to 5 levels above the level cap. Some of us will also want to role-play the epic quest story along the way as a true “fellowship”.

Club Slowtro will start off (naturally enough) at 6th level - the level one leaves the introduction area. Players can play as they like - together or apart - crafting or harvesting materials or playing music or what they please - with the agreement not to advance above 6th level until everybody is ready to advance.

Players do not need to play together at a particular place and time. Players can play their characters whenever they want - respecting the level cap. The hope is that Club Slwotro will draw enough people that there will be somebody to help when somebody wants help, and there will be somebody to adventure with when somebody wants company.

Players do not need to worry if they need to drop out for a while. Unlike other types of clubs, the group is not "stuck" if some member cannot make it. When the missing player returns, he or she can catch up to the new level cap and join on adventures just as before.

The channel name is “Slowtro” (type “/joinchannel slowtro” without the ")

The current level cap will always be posted here in the first post of this thread. As of Feb 1, 2017 it is level 50 (Moria)

For more on Club Slowtro, see the next posts (details and schedule). Hopefully, this thread will be regularly updated with notes and images from the adventures of Club Slowtro.

[Note: Club Slowtro is heavily indebted to Club Eclair on Landroval. All credits go to Tiempko who conceived the idea and brought it to fruition. Club Eclair is now at lvl 27, progressing towards 28 and Evendim]

Update: Club Slowtro now has a site: http://slowtro.shivtr.com/ - We will use the site to organize events, present our RP characters and so on. You do NOT need to register at the site to be a member of Club Slowtro - the important thing is to join us in the chatchannel and adventure with us there.

Some of us also have also created a kin - Company of the Tortoise - but you do NOT need to be member of the kin to join the club. On the contrary - stay in your kin and bring kinmembers along!
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Mar 01 2017 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Updated level cap to 50

“Yes, but what _is_ Club Slowtro?”

The members of Club Slowtro agree to do two things:

1. Respect the Level Cap: They use XP-disablers (purchasable from the LOTRO store) to stop their character’s progression at a specific level cap. They play quests and content 4-5 levels above their level, resulting in a lot of challenge and groupable content. They agree to not progress above the cap until there is general consensus in the club to move on (when everybody is “done” with the content at their level cap).
    2. Engage in “walk-and-talk” RP: The purpose of this group is to engage in roleplaying adventures - the type of adventures that make for good stories. The characters are in character when engaging with other members of the club (OOC is ok in the chat channel - please, in brackets). They could use the quests to tell their own stories or relate how their characters develop towards the epic story. Personally I’m playing Berawena, a female warden from Archet, who is out to get revenge over the Blackwolds, but finds out that the world isn’t as simple as she thought.

The idea is that the characters are normal people (of all races) slowly becoming heroes while exploring Middle-Earth for the first time. They are fighting an overwhelming evil that takes all their cunning and co-operation to overcome. That’s a great outset for telling stories:

“The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. . . Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going.”

At least a few of us will aim to role-play the epic story as a fellowship.

Some players might want further immersion restrictions for themselves (like the total immersion series) but that’s up to them. There are only two demands for Club Slowtro: Respect the level cap and engage in walk-and-talk RP.

There are no specific play or grouping times. The idea is to have a chat channel full of friends who are at the same level as you and more or less at the same part of the story as you. So there’ll always be somebody to do the fun and hard content with (Garth Agarwen, anybody?)

“Ok, this sounds great. How do I become part of this?”

1) Create a new character, or use a character you already have. Pick any class and race you want. Don’t think too much about what is needed in the club, we’ll adapt. Some players might want more than one character, and that’s great too. The more the merrier.
    2) Join the chat channel “Slowtro” (type “/joinchannel Slowtro”)
    3. Introduce yourself.
    4. When we’re first starting out (June 2014) you should get to lvl 6, leave the introduction area and then equip the XP-disabler.
    5. Play as much as you like solo or in groups until you have done all the quests you want, up until lvl 11 quest. Some of them will be quite hard and you will need the help of friends. In that way most content becomes challenging again, and a lot of it becomes “group-able”.
    6. If you enter Club Slowtro at a later date, you should check out the plans posted in this thread. A rough plan is in the post below.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 01 2014 at 05:47 PM.
    "The turtle is my trinket". Founder of Club Slowtro.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.

"The Plan"

A preliminary schedule for Club Slowtro

It will take time to form the group, and the summer is slow season. So we will take it (even) slower in Club Slowtro, until we hit September and there will be issued a Call to arms gathering everybody in Bree. (This is the plan, anyway, we can change it if it doesn't work).

(1) June 2014: Level 6. At this level, one can do about 70% of the quests in the starter areas - and they are a challenge. Several will require the help of friends. However, that is what Club Slowtro is for. People who want to solo through the quests do not need a group. This is for people who prefer challenging fellowship adventures. Pretty much, this level should give one the sense of being a regular citizen - a member of the militia while Club Slowtro gets organized.

(2) July and August 2014: After living as a regular citizen in one's introductory region for a while, jump the level cap to 8 and then 10 to finish out the introductory areas. Now, things are getting serious.

(3) First week of September 2014: The call to arms!
    Increase the cap to level 11 and go to Bree. Here all the characters from the introductory areas will meet each other for the first time. The Free Peoples are coming together, summoned by a member of the club, or by their own intuition ... folks from distant lands . . . a pair of dwarfs, a lone elf, a trio of hobbits, a man, and a woman, meet in a bar. And the adventure begins ... (to be fleshed out by RP). Move to the Prancing Pony as the group's base of operations. Here Club Slowtro will really be starting to come together. The South Bree Fields, Buckland, and the Old Forest become our new playground.

(4) Increase the cap to 12 and move to Adso's Camp for a bit. There are nine Level 17 quests there to be done. This should not take long.

(5) A big jump to Level 15. This opens up the North Bree Fields and - in particular - the Barrow Downs. My personal interest is in spending quite a bit of time in the Barrow Downs. At 15th level, the Level 20 elite barrows will almost certainly require a full fellowship - complete with boss fights. I would also like to earn "Kindred" with Bree town. One of the values of this group is being able to earn reputation when reputation is actually valuable. I think we should also move our "base camp" out of the Prancing Pony and to the Hunter's Lodge.

(6) Increase to 16th level and finish some Level 21 quests in the Barrow Downs and the Northern Bree-fields. This should not take a lot of time.

(7) Increase cap to 18 and go for the Epic Quest charge on Weather Top, which will need a full fellowship but will also be legendary.

(8) Raise the cap to 20. At this level, all of the quests around the Forsaken Inn are doable. The Level 25 quests will require a full fellowship in some cases. The "base camp" can be split between Candaith's camp and the Forsaken Inn. Perhaps get a room in the basement. Perhaps explore that draft coming out from behind the bookshelf.

(9) Keep the cap at 20 and migrate over to Trestlebridge. Almost all of the quests from Trestlebridge and Amon Raith can be done. This will involve the "elite" region Nan Wathren - requiring full fellowships for some missions.

(10) Raise the cap to 22 for the Fields of Fornost quests.

(11) With the cap staying at 22, move back to the Lone Lands for the orc-and-dwarf caves and questing in the region between Weathertop and Ost Guruth.

Of course, everything here is subject to revision. There's no set path for Club Slowtro and no central planner. We will work it out as we go along.

(The schedule is heavily inspired by Tiempko's first plan for Club Eclair; We think it wise to follow in their footsteps).
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 22 2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Tolkien fan and LOTRO completionist, taking my time to see all the places. Clabauterman on Steam.

"Waves from Landroval . . . "

Hullo . . . and good luck.

With Club Eclair I have been able to enjoy things that few people in the last five years have had an opportunity to enjoy.

• Three low-level hobbits confronting the dwarfs trying to make troll a "Gift to the North - rescuing spider-trapped trees with friends - going into the cave in the Quarry and wondering if we will survive - taking along friends to rescue a sheep stolen by goblins - confronting the warg at Budgeford with a hunting party.

• Walking through the Old Forest with two or three friends when it was clearly dangerous - level 11 characters encountering some very dangerous trees and spiders. On one of the trips, one of us got lost among the spider webs - literally, we got split up and could not find a way to get back together. We roleplayed our way out of it - sending off searchers in pairs until we found him and got back together.

• Going through the barrows in the southern Barrow Downs with a companion or two trying not to attract too much attention.

• Battling to the top of Weathertop with an on-level group (actually, a below-level group; we tackled the 23rd level fellowship quest at 18th level).

• Confronting a rare-elite landscape mob while patrolling across the countryside and sending out a shout for people to help battle it - and have some players who, like you, are 5 levels below the creature coming to offer assistance for what is certain to be a big battle.

Sometimes we have to run away. Sometimes, things are truly dangerous.

And there has been some good roleplaying as well.

• The walk . . . six Shire folk . . . from the Shire to visit Bree for the very first time. You have to stop atop the Brandywine Bridge and pause for a bit - look back at the Shire to wave farewell, and look ahead to the east, wondering what is in store - and stop at Adso's for lunch.

• Passing a fellow club member on the streets of Bree and having a pleasant conversation about what (your characters) have been up to. "I'm planning on heading up to the Barrow Downs at first light. The folks at the Hunter's Lodge gave me a list of villains that they know to be hiding up there."

• Making up our own quests (e.g., to advance slayer deeds), like the time we went into the forests on the east side of the Hoerlog Swamp in the Lone Lands to retrieve two bodies. We had to two "corpses". Two of us brought ponies and the others had to prevent us from being knocked off the ponies as we looked for the bodies and brought them out. Meanwhile, we advanced the troll-slayer deed, without a bit of "grinding".

• Helping out the hobbits of Northcotton Farms and having a nice picnic afterwards, singing songs and telling stories (filling each other in on the background of our characters).
    It has been quite fun.

In doing this, I have noticed things in the game - easter eggs that I had not noticed in previous years. We stopped and listened to conversations that made up the stories we went through.

There is no wrong way to have fun except to have fun hurting others - and Club Éclair has been fun. I hope those who like such things can enjoy an adventure on Laurelin.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group on Landroval currently capped at Level 45 in eastern Angmar for all Shadows of Angmar end-game content (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow).

The idea sounds great to me

I have created Pada a male Loremaster level 7 from Bree.

I went on the chat channel tonight; only me on

Can you send me a message when someone is likely to be on the channel. I will get a xp disabler when I know a few people are joining the channel.

At the moment Pada will rest; I will pop and see him when I log on. I am a UK player but tend not to play at the weekend.

Hope it takes off

MS

Quote Originally Posted by mettasati View Post
    I went on the chat channel tonight; only me on
    Hi MS. Sorry to hear you couldn't find anybody! I've had trouble getting in-game for a few days. I'm on now and there's another slowtroer is here as well, and I know that more will be coming in the next few days (although I'll be away for the weekend). Hope you'll join us!

Post Berawena's First Letter Home

"Dear sister,

I am writing you this from the inn in Combe. Do you remember when we were here last summer? Things were so different back then. Well, for one thing, Archet wasn’t burned down. And mother and father still weren’t sick. You took care of me, like the big sister you’ve always been, and I could be silly the way I’ve always been. I know I’ve always been able to count on you.

Well, now I am on my own for the first time. And I am afraid.

I am not afraid to tell you that - but if anybody else says it I will punch him in the face! I’ve never been anywhere in this world and I don’t know what to expect. Oh sister, I wish you were the one going in stead of me, you were always smarter, wiser (I’m quick enough myself, but have no patience for reading!). But like you said, I’m the better armsman of the two of us, and armsmen are what’s needed today.

I’ll never forgive the Blackwolds for what they did to fair Archet.

I’ll send you any money I have for the new house, for the care of mother and father. I will also send you for brother's funeral.

All the best
    Bera"

Club Slowtro is starting up this summer. In September, When we hit lvl 11 and arrive in Bree, a Call to Arms will be sounded and Club Slowtro will launch for the real adventure. A few slowtrowers have already joined, and more are to follow. I'll be offline for the weekend, but will be back next week, when Berawena will be looking for help in crushing the Blackwolds.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Oct 20 2014 at 05:13 AM.

Thumbs up

Clabauterman, I am finnaly home.

I think this project is great, I hope many will join!

I've created my character, Hesthorn a hunter from Dale, I can't wait to have many adventure with you my companions!

See you in game

Cool Blog :)

Here I am, this will be my diary:

http://slowtro.wordpress.com/

If anyoneelse would like to contribute he will be the most welcome!

Nice diary! That looks great. Could be intersting to have more characters posting there.

An idea for everybody could be to add your other characters to the channel as well (if you have a channel available). That will make it easier to say hi and see if there is action in the slowtro channel, or get some action started yourself.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 07 2014 at 04:30 PM.

Post From Hesthorn journal

Everything that followed the appearance of Strider in front of my cell happened very quickly, and insofar as I can I will try to report it hereunder.

Strider had found my clothes, so I dressed as quickly as I could, then I found my bow beside one of the guards killed by Strider, the arrows were not a problem since several full quivers were hung on the wall of the guard room, there I could find my daggers too.
    We got out from what had been my prison, and then I realized that that place was much more big than I thought, more than an encampment it was a little village with rock houses, stables and other things that could not be found in a temporary encampment, I realized then that I was not the only prisoner there, indeed Strider ordered me to proceed toward other farther courtyards where while he was coming he saw a couple of Hobbits detained there, while he would take care of freeing others prisoners inside rock bulidings on the right.
    Fortunately there were few guards in that area that I could knock out in ashort time, although I had not yet recovered my strenght; freed the little Hobbits I proceeded with them looking for a way out from that horrible place, and was there that I saw him!

An imposing figure entirely dreesed of black clothes that covered every part of his body except for the hands on wich he wore a pair of armoured gloves; he was riding a mighty black stallion who whinnied and scraped the ground.
    A terrible Black Rider was in front of me.
    There where should have been the face of the rider I could not see nothing, was perhaps because of the low light (it was just dawning), or because of the black hood he was wearing, but I could swear there was no face at all, just a shadow.
    Meanwhile, someone has started a fire, the thatched roofs of the hunts were on fire and I could hear the noise of some collapse.
    in front of the rider another Ranger was standing, I have been able to notice the similarity of traits with those of Strider, armed only with a torch he threw chops right and left trying to scare away the rider, but alas the rider pranced his horse lowering a chop on the man’s shoulder, the Ranger fell to his knees then I would expect to see the rider dismount to kill the man, but he did not, indeed the black figure turned towards me and the Hobbits who I freed just before and with a shrill voice he said “Which is the “Baggins” promised me?” I could not help but notice that it was the second time I heard pronouncing that name in a short time, but nothing I could do so was the terror that paralyzed me; only a grating separated us from the rider who was approaching, but at that point all around us and a large fire was raging and then a burning beam crashed down right in front of the horse who instantly pranced, the Black Ridersent out terrible curses in his shrill language that never I heard before then he fled.

Then Strider appeared running on the other side of the courtyard and we all rushed to help the wounded Ranger, I knew then called Amdir; the wound did not seemed deep but he was however already very pale, he tried in vain to stand up, I decided then to help Strider to carry Amdir, the two Hobbits followed us; so it was that we setted out to the woods while behind our backs the fire was consuming what once were the refuge of the brigands.

I agree it would be a good idea for our other characters to join the channel to see if there is any activity. I would suggest that they don't chat on the channel apart to say the main char will join soon. Chatting as one char while preforming as another would be difficult for me.

Is there anyway to tell who is on the channel; when you log on it just give the number on the channel not who they are.

punkboy1985 - your diary and character description looks good; I agree it would be interesting to add other characters; would be happy to add Pada.

One point you added a year in your description; I think it is important we all work on the same timeline. One suggestion is that Clabauterman tell us the month and the year at the levelling up time.

MS

Lightbulb Some thought

Quote Originally Posted by mettasati View Post
    I agree it would be a good idea for our other characters to join the channel to see if there is any activity. I would suggest that they don't chat on the channel apart to say the main char will join soon. Chatting as one char while preforming as another would be difficult for me.

Is there anyway to tell who is on the channel; when you log on it just give the number on the channel not who they are.

punkboy1985 - your diary and character description looks good; I agree it would be interesting to add other characters; would be happy to add Pada.

One point you added a year in your description; I think it is important we all work on the same timeline. One suggestion is that Clabauterman tell us the month and the year at the levelling up time.

MS
    Happy to hear that you enjoyed my journal, I will send you a PM with my email adress, you can send me your material (some screenshot would be the most welcome) and I will put it on.
    About the year, I think we all agree we are playing in 3018 T.A.; if you visit the guests room in Rivendell you can find the member of the Fellowship preparing to depart (24 Dec. 3018 T.A.)

Yesterday I had some fun RP\action with Talarka an Elf from Lindon and with Athallan from Bree, both those meetings were very fun; with the Elf we went to Chetwood, there we thinned the Blackwold ranks, with Athallan we RPed the epic story, investigating about the reasons of my imprisonment, the assault on Archet, the dissapearing of the Ranger Amdir.
    Both encounters have been very fun, but completely separeted from each other, that point made me think about the importance to have a plot to follow, and which plot is already ready to be used?
    The Epic Story of course, it drives every player through almost each region of Middle-Earth, so I am totally agree when Clabauterman says:

"(1) June 2014: Level 6. At this level, one can do about 70% of the quests in the starter areas - and they are a challenge. Several will require the help of friends. However, that is what Club Slowtro is for. People who want to solo through the quests do not need a group. This is for people who prefer challenging fellowship adventures. Pretty much, this level should give one the sense of being a regular citizen - a member of the militia whike Club Eclair gets organized.

(2) July and August 2014: After living as a regular citizen in one's introductory region for a while, jump the level cap to 8 and then 10 to finish out the introductory areas. Now, things are getting serious."

Those things could be done alone or by two or three players togheter, but when this moment will come:

"(3) First week of September 2014: The call to arms! Increase the cap to level 11 and go to Bree. Here all the characters from the introductory areas will meet each other for the first time. The Free Peoples are coming together, summoned by a member of the club, or by their own intuition ... folks from distant lands . . . a pair of dwarfs, a lone elf, a trio of hobbits, a man, and a woman, meet in a bar. And the adventure begins ... (to be fleshed out by RP). Move to the Prancing Pony as the group's base of operations. Here Club Slowtro will really be starting to come together. The South Bree Fields, Buckland, and the Old Forest become our new playground."

Then we will know each others and then we will act as a Fellowship on route, we will move through the Old Forest then to Lone Lands, North Downs etc...
    In my opinion the Epic Story should be RPed, this will requires specials meetings where we will concentrate us on the main story, said that members will choose togheter when to go on, change region, as the Fellowship of the Ring stopped for long in Rivendell or in Lothlorien we can do the same, no rush, also because I expect to play side quest, deeds, skirmishes (i.e. when we'll have to play the quest that lead the player on the assault of Weathertop, once the quest is finished we could play another assault playing (and RPing) the skirmish).
    I see this Club as an end-game group of players with alot of RP inside, with a different speed.

I am looking forward to know your thoughts and ideas
    Last edited by punkboy1985; Jun 09 2014 at 04:27 AM.

[In response to gathering the members of Club Slotro, a snippet of my member's backstory. Originally posted on the Laurelin thread, being moved here.]

DISPATCH - Order of Rosicalli - Gladnagl Beastmistress of Lindon
    To: Talarka of Lindon

My dearest brother Talarka,

I shall be brief in this dispatch in the manner of our Clan. The enclosed rose and quill signify the Order's need for your help. Knowing your position about helping mortals, we would not ask this of you unless it were of great importance, and in keeping with your plans here in Middle Earth before Cirdan's ships wrought with our clan's cedars remove you to sanctuary.

You have been a loyal woodsman, fierce hunter, and devoted brother. Whereas I bend nature to my will and duty, you shepherd it with your wildling ways. In these travels for the Order and in service to the Rangers, there have been so many examples of nature's vile corruption by the forces of Angmar, our nemesis. Of what we have heard about Mirkwood and the Trollshaws I have seen throughout the former strongholds of Arnor. The Witch King may have been defeated by our folk an Age ago, but his lieutenant still operates from it's base. I have seen it a vision from Lady Galadriel, and confirmed it with the Dunedain. This evil must be confronted!

You already repesent our clan's business interests in Ered Luin, but those interests will be preserved with our without our help throughout this Age. All know the cedars of Lindon are without equal in ship mast making. But you can make an epic difference in the lives of these mortals if you would just spare a few years to hunt the forces of Angmar. They make excellent prey! If you will take up this hunt, then carve me a cedar rose and send it by courier as your reply.

Assuming you respond, here shall be your orders (your only contacts will be Order members or their trusted agents):

() Meet with dwarf Hamskald at the tavern in Thorin's Hall. He will train you in tailoring, axe throwing, and advanced prospecting. He will also provide a list of dwarven agents in Eriador with whom you may trade your leathers and uncut gems. He will treat you to a raid against the Dourhands if you ask nicely.

() Meet with human Mithlind at the tavern Comb and Wattle in Combe. He will draw out the arrangement of brigand camps around Bree Town. You are to create a legend of a Ghost Elf who comes in the night and dispatches lazy brigands. The damage to morale will help our cause.

() Meet with hobbit Gerbil at the tavern Bird and Baby in Michel Delving. She will brief you on the layouts and troop strength of Angmar enemy encampments throughout the former Arnor kingdom. She will also demonstrate some of the finer points of stealth and diversion.

After your meeting with Gerbil, I will contact you about future hunts.

Your devoted sister
    Gladnagl
    Gladnagl-Elf LM, Gerbil-Hob Burg, Hamskald-Dwf Guard, Mithlind-Hum Mini, Talarka-Elf Hunt, || Laurelin EN-RP -- For RP; Join Club Slotro; bit.ly/slowtro

DISPATCH: Talarka of Lindon
    To: Order of Rosicalli - Gladnagl Beastmistress of Lindon

My dearest sister Gladnagl,

I shall respond as briefly as in your last dispatch. There is much news to relate in recent events, however I'll just share the more important matter.

You know my priority has always been with our clan's lumber business. Not only Cirdan the Shipwright relies on our cedars, others throughout Arnor have come to know and appreciate our wood selection and service. Let others perform the epic adventures, I am just a humble business elf.

That being said, my recent travels at your imperative have been quite enlightening. Knowing of the fall of Arnor (from what, only 1000 years ago?) is one thing, seeing the aftermath is yet quite another. Humans and hobbits living in tents and wagons? Unthinkable! Even the Bree-Town structures could not possibly last 500 years at most. Your Order's first priority should be to rebuild Arnor. Ered Luin folk can and should help in that project.

Regarding the Angmar matter east of Bree-Town. I met your minstrel agent in Combe, who had began the myth spinning of a Ghost Elf. I conducted a few night raids on the brigand camp, setting up decoys and making unearthly noises by chopping wood and picking copper. For every three brigands, I slew two and left one to spread the myth. A very pleasant man joined me, Hesthorn of Dale, and together we slew more. It was a joyous event and a nice pause from forest-mastering.

There is proof these brigands are Angmar organized. In their headquarters we slew an Angmarim, albeit a weaker example. There is also still loose a warg not of Amon Sul or Fornost origin, most likely Angmar region. I will continue to explore these local connections back to Angmar, as you wish.

Small matters to address... Please have your dwarf agent Hamskald send a keg of nails from Thorin's Hall to the hobbit Adso, west of Bree Town. This should curry favor with the Mathom Society in Michel Delving. The local wolf population is unchecked, I will see about reducing their numbers to the local game supply. And please assemble a fellowship to slay that Bree warg before he breeds more monsters.

Your brother in service
    Talarka of Lindon
    Gladnagl-Elf LM, Gerbil-Hob Burg, Hamskald-Dwf Guard, Mithlind-Hum Mini, Talarka-Elf Hunt, || Laurelin EN-RP -- For RP; Join Club Slotro; bit.ly/slowtro

On the subject of which plotline.

Our characters are not as all knowing of Middle Earth as Tolkien was. We each come from our own regions, with our reasons, agendas, and biases. But at the start of Archet and Thorgrim's Hall we each know that something extraordinary has happened and continues to happen. We don't have all the facts, so at the beginning it's a big mystery. Think of it like a detective novel, we need to solve the who-dunnit and why, then figure out what we're going to do about it.

It starts with Hobbits and the name Baggins. Strider is involved, but we don't yet know how and why. As we unravel this mystery, our time will be divided following the local NPC fetching quests. But the focus should be on finding answers to the Black Riders and the importance of the Baggins fellowship. In agreement with the OP post about following the trail to Rivendell, that's where we will find the clues we need for these answers. The epic story line helps us out a lot with this, especially to not get too distracted by the side quests.

Elrond and Rivendell will be the turning point. The Company of Nine will act as an ice breaker into the regions we will explore further. We can't interfere with their mission, but we can certainly follow their footsteps. We may have the opportunity to indirectly assist the Nine by diverting Sauron's and his minion's attentions away from the true mission.

My construct, the Order of Rosicalli, has nothing directly to do with the Baggins plotline. I brought it into the Slowtro plotline as a LOTRO mechanic precisely because encouraging emerging heroics of normal folk is a core part of their mission. It's not my intent to hijack the Slowtro mission, but to assist it where it aids the RP. Rosicalli originates shortly before the arrival of the Nazgul, but operates on an elvish scale timeline; hundreds to thousands of years.

Punkboy and Gladnagl, both your stories are excellent starting points! Our travels will be very exciting, I think, and I'll have to step up my (Berawena's) game Gladnagl, I really agree with you on the detective story part. Berawena, for example, is just a country girl from Archet who knows nothing of the world and is suspicious towards rangers and outsiders. For her, elves are really only a legend and the with-king a bedtime story to scare the kids with. Of course, the world of legends is now coming alive before her very eyes - and yet she may know some detail or old story that somehow has missed the elven wisdom and memory. I have no problem with the Order of Rosicalli, it sounds like a fine and fun addition to the story.

Regarding our RP and the Epic Story, I for one would certainly be interested in using the Epic questline as our guideline. But if others want to do their own thing and still participate in Slowtro, I see no problem with that. If the aim of the channel is that there will always (or very often) be somebody online to do adventures with, we should probably have maybe 20-30 regular players (or even more). That means not just one but many "fellowships", or a loose alliance of individuals and fellowships really. But of course, if some groups want to quest more closely together and coordinate their actions even more, that would in my opinion only be great. (I think that Club Eclair on Landroval do both, they always have at least 4-5 players online (when I have checked) but also have certain hours when they meet up. We'll see what we want to do, or what some players want to do.)

Personally I'm mostly online between 10pm and midnight CET Sunday to Thursday, but also at other times as well.

Regarding other characters on the channel, I agree that they should only send messages like "This is the main of _insertcoolsindarinname_, she will be on shortly" or perhaps send a tell to ask what's up. The channel shouldn't be cluttered with chat that's irrelevant to the story we want to tell.

Regarding the T.A. timeline I think it will probably be difficult to have any kind of "realistic" measurement that accords with the epic story. I guess we should follow the epic story roughly, but not get too caught up in what date it is exactly, as that will make no sense (we may want 10 assaults on Dol Dinen, coming back day after day, while the Rivendell council is going on, just to have one example).

Hoping to meet up in-game soon!
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 12 2014 at 03:43 AM.

[OOC]

Hi everybody.
    I already approached Clabauterman for joining this club. My PC is called Elrhandir, a Man Captain. In these few days (probably during this week-end) i'll post his BG. I've already added you all to my ingame friends list too. Often, I'm online with my main character, Erbereth - LM lvl. 66. So, if you are online with your Slowtro PC and wanna join with other fellows, feel free to contact me through IMs. I'll relog with Elrhandir ASAP.

Usually, I'm online during Monday/Wednesday/Friday from 07:00 p.m. GMT +1 to midnight, plus on week-ends almost everyday and night. But don't worry, if it's a problem to manage the party regroup, I can be avaliable on UTC time too, especially on week-ends.

So, I hope to see you all soon ingame!

P.S. Follow me on my Twitch channel too!: R3537 - Wipe0ut - Every Friday night at 09:00 p.m. GMT+1 adventures on LOTRO!
    Last edited by DjEmet; Jun 10 2014 at 08:43 AM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][I][B]- Emet -

[/B][/I][/COLOR][IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/b8n0ic.png[/IMG]

DISPATCH - Order of Rosicalli - Hamskald of Thorin's Hall
    To: Talarka of Lindon

Regarding your nail delivery request for Adso:

Given the urgency of your last dispatch, the nails were sent not via the slower supply pack train, rather via sole courier. I regret to inform you that the shipment was stolen by Dourhands on the way to Gondoman. The courier escaped with his life, but surely by now the nails have been dispersed. I will resend the nail keg, but it will not be timely.

This is an outrage!! If the Free People's building projects are to proceed on schedule, supply deliveries must be deemed sacrosanct by every burglar and highwayman. I would teach them a lesson myself, but Dourhands will be expecting dwarven reprisals. However, a small raid by an elf, and perhaps your Dale man might slip through unnoticed.

If you choose this raid, I will provide you with custom arrowheads of welded nails. Splice them onto your arrow shafts and leave them with the bodies of the Dourhands you kill. That should make the message clear and to the point. We can meet at Thorin's Hall tavern.

Your trusted agent,
    Hamskald The Peeved

Post Berawena's Second Letter Home

"Dear sister,

I know that my last letter may have been a bit dark and moody. I was not feeling too well after leaving Archet. You will be happy to know that I am already more optimistic about my grand undertaking (and I need to be, anyway, since this is what I’m doing).

I have met good friends and it has assured me that we are not alone in our fight. A friendly traveller called Pada sent me a letter saying he had heard about our troubles and my mission to take on the Blackwolds, and that he wanted to help. I have yet to meet him, but I am looking forward to it.

I approached the Chetwood, where I was told that the Blackwolds have their main camp. Here I met a man, Hesthorn, who was quick and sure with a bow like no one I have ever seen. Together we took on the Blackwolds and laid many of them dead or injured. I don’t know ... it felt ... well I don’t know how to describe it. It made me feel a bit bad in a way seeing them fall like that, with frightened eyes and screams. But it is the only way to face the danger and make sure that they do not attack us again.

People here in Combe talk about the bravery of Archet. I don’t know. The price seemed too high. The price is always too high. But we did not choose this battle. They did.

I am sending you 100 silver I took from the Blackwolds. We found other valuables, but I have given them to Constable Underhill, who will return them to the rightful owners. Tonight I will sleep well after a day well spent.

All the best, also to mom and dad,
    Bera"
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 12 2014 at 03:42 AM.

Post From Hesthorn journal

After having left behind us the brigands camp Strider led us through the night along paths that only he seemed to know, he lighted up the trail with a torch while I was carrying Amdir on my shoulders, the two Hobbits kept up despite their short legs and I could not help but notice how much they are resilient, they were not weary nor they complained about the rugged ground on which we proceeded, where I had diffuculty to go on with my thick boots they moved swiftly and silently barefoot; just Mundo blabed about the fact that a gentlehobbit as him could not be treated in that manner, but no one was paying attention to his words.

It was the dawn when we finally arrived to a village, located in a small valley was surrounded on two sides by high cliffs the uncovered part was protected by a palisade made of pointed log, I learned shortly after that that place was called Archet.

We received a very cold reception from the guards at the gatewho seeing us instantly stopped us, our prayers were useless, they were willing to let us outside regardless our wounded friend and the condition of all of us, but the arrival of an officer named Calder Cob changed the situation he let us enter with the promise to leave as soon as the wounded Ranger would have been able to walk.
    We all slept except Strider who watched his friend who did not seem to perk up, all the inhabitants of Archet were watching us but none approached us to help.
    Strider told me that the Rangers were not well seen in those lands, and was at that point that he explained me that that small and peaceful village was in a great danger, he and the Rangers had in fact watched the brigands and their movements reavealing their intensions: assault and seize Archet.
    Strider asked me to inform the “mayor” Captain Brackenbrook, a man with long mustche and white hair, from his looking and posture one would have thought he had everything under control; I explained him what Strider told me before, I also told about the Black Rider but to no avail, Brackenbrook would not listen any reason.

Back to Strider he gave me another duty, find a medicinal herb: the Kingsfoil, the night before I had experienced its effects when the Ranger mashed some leaves in a bowl to make a cold pack on Amdir’s wound, its fragrance has the power to cheer up everyone, and in the expert hands of Strider could have given relief to Amdir.
    Leaving Archet I was faced by Calder Cob, I thanked him for having let us enter but he made me an half smile saying that we were fools to think that the village would have been attacked and anyway he did not see any brigand around, he rather warned me to be careful in the woods because none could know what could have happened to me going alone in the woods, said that he turned his back on me laughing loudly.
    I remembered the place where Strider collected the herb the night before but in the darkness I could not notice the impressive ruins that right now in the full light of the afternoon stood in front of me; staircases and columns, marble blocks, who knows what great men had left such works! Certanly not the people of Archet, perhaps only the Dwarfs could equal the greatness of those buldings.
    I found the gras and when I collected enough I decided to give a close look to the ruins, arrived on the top of what have been once a tower I found a banner hanging from a pole, immediatly appeared clear that it was there since little time; while I was examining the banner I heard footsteps behind me, I turned and I saw a man with a wolf on a leash coming towards me, luckily I had brought my weapons with me, I barely had time to nock an arrow that immediatly the wolf lunged to me, I tensed the rope then the arrow stabbed in the neck of the beast who fell lifeless to the ground, meanwhile the man was getting close, too close to let me use the bow, so I had to pull out my daggers; the man yelled to me that it was too late, that I could not hinder their planand in the mean time he tried to kick me with a great club, just I was able to get closer I threw a to his throat, I could see the open flesh and blood comes out, I was alive.
    I runned back to Archet but at the gate I had another surprise, Calder Cob looked at me with an expression somwhere between surprise and angry then he came closer and whenhe was sure that none else could her him he told me that I had been lucky to survive, and that if it was not for the guards he would have killed me in that moment, he laughed once again and concluded saying that soon he would have dealed with all of us.

I told everything to Strider who immediatly told me that a brigand was being held prisoner there in Archet and to go to question him; it was quite easy, as soon as I shown him my dagger covered in blood he instantly told everything, after that I talked with Brackenbrook once again and now he seemed to be moved from his positions therefor he decided to send me to the farm of CalSpigley, some of his laborers were in fact disappeared recently; speaking with the farmer I learned that Calder Cob was sent there before toinvestigate but was opinion of Cal that he done nothing.
    After have received some guidance I moved to east, there flowed a stream over i could see other ruins; walking along the river bank i found the bodies of the labourers then I saw the smoke rising from the ruin; I crossed the creek and hid in some bushes, from there I could see many guards patrol the area, that surely had to be the enemy’s main base.
    I runned back to the farm there Cal Sprigley that sent me to Combe a small town to the south in order to ask reinforcements, but another bitter surprise was waiting for me on the road, the robbers were surrounding Archet, no aids would have come; the inhabitants of the village would have to fend for themselves.
    Brackenbrook had to be convinced, Calder Cob was a traitor and Archet would be attacked that night.

A Little about Pada

Pada is small, thin and bolding; what hair he has left is grey. He always wears a bandana to protect his scalp and tattered clothing.
    He usually carries a staff and if you are very lucky you may see one for his companions; maybe ida the bear.
    He has very penetrating eyes and stares as if he can see into your sole. He is a man of few words and conversations can be difficult with him. It takes a while for him to reply, he ponders every word and speaks very quietly and slowly.
    He hates crowds and lots of activities; if a place gets busy or loud, he is likely to disappear.
    He comes and goes as he wishes without considering others

Here is some quotes from Pada’s journal:
    I was born on 23rd June 2966 ? not certain of the year but I am in my early fifties
    I lived in a small hamlet near Branny hills and southern Bree Fields

My father was Doug Sati and my mother Liz; Father was a baker and did most of cooking at home; Mother made clothing ; they rented a cottage and a small holding with a cow and a few hens. They were vey old when they had me; late thirties; Father a very quite man of few words; Mother looked after the money; They didn’t take much notice of me, not showing much affection but loved me in their own way. I had a safe childhood with no worries about food, warmth protection..
    My mother taught me my numbers and reading writing and my father how to cook and how to care for animals.
    I had some would call a lonely childhood; no other children to play with me. Spent a lot of my time in the hills and woods with my dog jack who seemed part wolf. I also spent lots of time with my uncle sati, at least that’s what my mother said he was but I only called him sati; which is the family name. He lived in a hut in the woods and only visited us for special occasions. He taught me a lot about plants and animals, nature and bits of the old words and history. He also taught me to make trinkets and charms I learnt more from him than anyone and its where I got my love of nature and maybe dislike of town life.
    One day when I was 13 he disappeared; he always used to go away for a month or so twice a year but always returned. He never said he was going or when he would be back. That last time he went I started to look out for him after a month and carried on watching for him to I left home ten years later. I never felt sad but felt somehow he was always with me and the animals
    My parents died in my twenties, father first, then mother 2 years later; Mother became very ill after father died and I looked after her. After that I felt there was nothing for me so I travelled around bree doing odd jobs selling trinkets and herbal food and drinks. I spent as much time as I could living in the hills with my friends the birds and beasts,
    I have carried on with this lifestyle to now. I have not been completely alone all this time. I have had a number of lady friends, but after staying with then for a week or so; the call of the outdoors comes and I have to move along. To my knowledge I don’t have any children
    Over the years my travels have extended to the shire; a place I have grown to love;. I spend about a third of each year there now and maybe will spend my last few years in the rolling hills above Woodhall.
    I have seen many strange things over the years; elves ,dwarves and others I will not talk about and dark things I try not to think about.

I will post a little more about Pada next week

MS

JOURNAL ENTRY - Talarka of Lindon
    Forward: Gladnagl, Beastmistress of Lindon | Order of Rosicalli

On Some Differences Between Mortals And Elves

Shire Hobbits, apparently, didn't believe elves are real.

It came as a shock to quite a few of them when I would materialize on their doorsteps, Bounder cap at a jaunty angle, ready to take on their concerns and run their errands. A Bounder's job, it would appear, is to keep the rest of the world out the ordinary lives of hobbits. Therefore it must be a double error; both for me to exist, and for Bounders to let me in. When we first meet, I give hobbits a few moments to adjust to the intrusion of my presence.

They astonish me with how short their spans of time are under which they operate. I guess we would also be in a rush if our ship to the Blessed Realms set sail in a mere century. But they make such good use of time like no elf can. There is a sense of urgency, a need to get things done quickly before opportunity passes them by. I'm sure you've experienced that with the Rangers, who send you from one end of Eriador to another fighting orcs and goblins.

It is now more so that I miss our simple childhood fellowships in the cedar forests in Lindon, dear sister. As a Lore-Master you would summon Bear, who as a bear would take point. I as a Hunter would fire arrows at foes who got past Bear. You would stun foes who got past me. Nobody told the other what to do, we did what was in our nature. With mortals it is more complicated. They want to be led, but not be told what to do. They expect kings and constables to do favors for them. It is as if mortals don't understand what their nature is, apart from duty and obligation?

Your Order, sister, walks a very narrow log bridge across a deep chasm. Guide too little, and your mortals will not be prepared for the return of Angmar's armies. Command too much, and you will be ignored as a meddler. They will not suffer the interference of elves in their affairs. You have planned well to focus on preserving history, scholarship, and artifacts; things which mortals cannot object to in principle. Should Sauron or his stewards succeed in dredging Gladden for Isildur's Bane, these may be the best defenses we have. Keep gathering mortals who understand how to wield them.

I believe the Rangers love the Shire, because it represents the soul of a well ordered kingdom, but without a king. They do so without any garrison of soldiers, let alone a standing army. And unlike Men, I have yet to see a halfling jail.

Of our neighbors the Dwarves, there is less need to say anything. When they are given the chance to trade, all who trade with them prosper. Guarantee them a trade route and an entire kingdom may flourish.

May Arnor return in the span of a single human life!

Amazing journals, letters and notes from all of you! I really feel inspired when reading them and get a whole new sense of the story, the world and the characters. It will be exciting when all the threads start adding up and we really start taking on the Dark Lord.

Club Slowtro has come to a really good start. We're only a bit over a week in and I have counted 10 active players in the channel so far, and we haven't even begun announcing the club in Glff or the Laurelin Archives. I've also had many good suggestions on how to proceed from here, and many questions as well. Remember that we're taking it (even) slower over the summer and then really starting up first week of september, when we'll make a gathering in the Prancing Pony and the Epic story starts for real.

The club was started by Punkboy and me - or Hesthorn and Berawena - but I don't think that makes us "the owners". While I'll make sure to update the forums with our schedule, I think Club Slowtro is anything and everything we make it to be (as long as we abide by the two rules: respect the level cap and engage in RP). That means that everybody is very welcome to spread the word, to engage other players and to get more involved. "The more, the slower, the merrier." Edit: An idea for easy dissemenation would be to use the bitly-link for this thread: http://bit.ly/slowtro

Club Slowtro is a chat channel and gentleman's agreement for players on the Laurelin server. We use the XP disabler to challenge ourselves with content 4-5 levels above our level, engage in role-play and tell the big story from the beginning all the way to the end.
    Last edited by Clabauterman; Jun 12 2014 at 08:50 AM.

[[Quick note: I have turtled/XP-Disabled my Dwarf Guardian (Hamskald) who is now Level 23. He is the most "blank slate" of my alts. If desired, we can pull him out to Main Tank the fellowship instances that are particularly rough, right after Fornost when the Level cap goes up.

Also, if it seems like Talarka is rushing the Level 6 content, there is a reason. I'm mostly F2P, but just activated a one month only VIP. Will be getting back to my mains soon to rush them through parts of the game while the subscription is active.]]
    Last edited by Gladnagl; Jun 12 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast