We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Hello AccessDenied!

I'm in the one and only account I have on this Machine, David - Administrator

Ok. I heard back from Turbine Support this morning. All they asked me was what folders I had in C:\Users and if I felt comfortable using System Restore. Then they suggested I might try using System Restore to a point before the problem occurred. I don't really want to do that because it might require me reinstalling a significant amount of stuff. But if I have to... Maybe I'll try it later tonight if I have the time.

Gruffyn,
    Well if you're logging into Win7 under David, and have no idea who/what/where/when/why/how Jacob got involved, then Jacob is a security problem. It's your computer and if something changes without your knowledge and consent, it's a problem.

I would suggest deleting this user and any files associated with them.

Hello AccessDenied,

As I've stated before, and I don't know how to put it more clearly, there is NO user "Jacob" on this computer. There is NO user account and/or files associated with it to delete. There are only two user accounts on this computer: David - Administrator and Guest - Account turned off.

I suppose I could do a little more research to find out exactly how the lotroclient.exe.stackdump file is created.

For an update with Turbine Support: Their last email asked me if I had "Turbine Download Manager" in my list of programs in the Uninstall Programs list in Control Panel. I do not. The only lotro relevant programs I found there were Happy Cloud Client and The Lord of the Rings Online. I could not find a "Turbine Download Manager" anywhere on my computer. I'll keep you posted on what they say next.

Hello Everyone! I've been posting about this issue in this thread with some other folks but since I saw a Turbine person here, I thought I would post here as well.

In my case, I logged in, played the game for 2-3 hours, mistakenly clicked on "Exit game" instead of "Log off character" and exited the game. After the game closed I immediately tried to log back in and that's when I started receiving the "Error logging in! Connection closed" error. It's so crazy that I was able to log in and play for a few hours and then suddenly not be able to log in. I don't understand what could have changed in that 2-3 hour time frame to cause this problem. I was playing the game the whole time so obviously I didn't make any system changes between the time I was able to log and the time I got the first error. I'm trying to work with Turbine Support on this but it's slow going exchanging one email a day. But I'll give them credit, they have been contacting me every day.

So far, of all the people that have posted about this problem on this and other threads, I'm only aware of two that have been able to log back in after getting this error. One was someone who did a system restore from back to March 1, I believe, and the other is the person Mirthgar mentioned who reinstalled Windows. I may try a system restore this weekend if the problem isn't fixed by then. I would hope at least some serious progress would be made by then so that would be unnecessary.

And I just leveled to 95! I want to play!!!

Hello Folks!

This is the latest from Turbine Support:

Thank you for your reply. The preponderance of systems in this state have been reported as Windows 7 home premium (though there have been one or two reports of this occurring on Win8).

Reviewing the behavior our engineering team found this remediation KB article from Microsoft regarding SSL/TLS communication issues* due to a prior update, and the symptoms reported are similar if not the same as what is occurring with the launchers use of these features.

(* Although originally reported to occur back in 2012 it is possible that it may have just only manifested recently, as the article details the issues are 'sudden onset').

If you feel comfortable using the 'fix it' option to try the repair detailed there first use Windows System Restore to make a current backup 'just in case' and after performing the fix note in a reply if there is any change once the certificates are reloaded via Windows Update.

Thank you,
    The Turbine Technical Support Team

As soon as I get a chance to try this 'fix it' option, I'll post the results. It's interesting to note that of all the folks I have seen post with this problem, on this and other threads, I've only seen 2 that have been able to log back in. One did a system restore back to about March 1, I believe, and the other reinstalled his Windows OS. The OS reinstall seems a bit extreme and unnecessary to me but I may try a system restore this weekend if I'm still having the problem then. (Although I did have to reinstall Windows some time ago when Bitdefender became corrupted, could not be removed and caused many problems.)

I suppose I should check my Event Viewer to see if I have any of the Event IDs listed in that KB article. If I do, I'll post that back here, as well.

And just in case the above link doesn't work, the Microsoft Support KB article can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2801679

Hello folks!

The latest from Turbine Support is to try this 'fix it' option: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2801679

I'll let you know the results after I get a chance to try it.

Update on the problem

Turbine technical support contacted me today and said this:

Thank you for your request. As a test, please attempt the steps we have included below to reset the game launcher to a default state. To start, please first make sure that the game launcher is fully closed out (you might want to reboot the pc just to be sure) and then perform the following:

Click on the Windows "Start" button and click "Run" or click in the the search bar (on Windows 8 if using the new UI, "swipe" in from the right and click into search)
    Copy & paste the following command exactly as it appears below, pressing enter when done:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\

Within that folder, you should see a folder named "Turbine"
    Right-click on it and choose "Delete". If you receive an access denied message at this point, the game launcher is most likely still running
    Once it is placed into the system's recycle bin, relaunch the game to test
    Once these steps are complete, note in a reply if there was any change. Also, if you encounter any issues performing these steps, note that as well and we will gladly assist with additional troubleshooting steps.

Thank you,
    The Turbine Technical Support Team

My response: doesn't change a thing.

@Gruffyn, I think I did what Turbine told you to do but it had no effect on my lotro launcher. I might have done it incorreectly, so let me know how it goes when you give it a try.
    Landroval- Doin Armourfist, Dwarf Minstrel

@toto704

Hey! I tried the fix Turbine Support gave you, about deleting the "Turbine" folder. It did not work. Same behavior, same error. It also produced the same LotroLauncher log entry.

I also tried the Turbine Support suggestion about trying the "fix it" from the Microsoft KB article about deleting a registry entry. It did not work either. Same behavior, same error. (Although my Spark IM program seemed to stop working properly after the deletion so I restored the registry folder.)

The last thing Turbine support asked was whether or I had "KB931125" in the "Microsoft Windows" section of my Update history. I do not.

I didn't hear anything back from Turbine Support today but I'll send them a reply stating I tried the "Turbine" folder deletion suggestion and that did not work either. I still haven't decided whether or not to try a system restore. I'll keep you posted on any updates or changes.

Current Status

"Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify what occurs detail if you are selecting a game world and then clicking on the play button or if the button that greys out is the 'login' button after typing in your username/password.

Also though open "Documents" > "The Lord of the Rings Online" and in there should be a file named "userpreferences" once you have located it (and with the game launcher closed out) right-click on it choosing "rename" and rename it to olduserpreferences and once renamed then start the game again to test. Detail any results in your reply.

Thank you,
    The Turbine Technical Support Team"

Once again, no luck. I miss lotro and it's a shame that the launcher has to be corrupt.

Keep me posted Gruffyn. Maybe one day we'll be friends in game haha.
    Landroval- Doin Armourfist, Dwarf Minstrel

Merged again to keep a unified thread for follow up.

My reply in the original merge here still applies.

Primary suspect right now is something to do with Windows encryption/authentication processes, so far mainly on Windows 7 home premium versions but a few other systems with different versions (believe they are versions of 8/8.1 but I'd have to recheck that) are similarly affected.

Also to clarify it's definitely something inherent in Windows itself affecting the process, as DDO is also affected on similar systems and other systems on the same home network are reported as being fine and the login works on them.

Steps that have been reported as resolving it:

- Opening www.turbine.com into IE before login (only one report of this working though so far)
    - In one other case it was reported that right-click and 'run as administrator' worked (but again a one only report)
    - Windows reinstall (not recommended but illustrates that resetting something in Windows tackles the underlying issue)
    - Activating a system restore point prior to the error occurring (consistent, but also not always a recommended step unless you're pretty close to the initial point it began, just another one that's illustrative that it's something to do with an underlying Windows setting/feature that gets stored for reset by wsr)

We are still looking into it but it's a situation unique to these systems and their copy of Windows so reproducing internally so far has been elusive but we are trying so that we can hopefully offer a better fix than what some have already attempted.
    Last edited by Mirthgar; Jun 23 2014 at 12:52 PM.
    -Helpful Turbine Support Links-
    Note: The Customer Support forums are for Player-to-Player help, for official support, please submit a ticket to the appropriate team via the form here.

After contacting support, log into your email webpage to add noreply@turbine.com and accountsupport@turbine.com to their "safe senders" list and your contacts list/address book.

Be sure to check Spam/Junk Mail folders as well since most email providers do not let external email programs or cell phones download mail flagged this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirthgar View Post
    Merged again to keep a unified thread for follow up.

We are still looking into it but it's a situation unique to these systems and their copy of Windows so reproducing internally so far has been elusive but we are trying so that we can hopefully offer a better fix than what some have already attempted.
    Thank you Mirthgar, I appreciate the update, even if it isn't a fix yet (for me anyway) at least it helps me understand where we are at, and that it is still being worked.
    Jacobar (95 Burglar) Eryendil (90 Minstrel) Justinius (90 ish Captain) of Ring Guard of Rivendell

Hello Mirthgar!

Thank you for jumpin' back in here and trying to keep things organized and keep us updated.

@toto704

The error occurs after clicking the "Login" button on the screen where you enter your username and password. It's the same error as the one in the screenshot posted by Tazwulf earlier in this thread. On page 3, I believe.

Ok. Turbine Support asked me to run a "Capture" with Wireshark of the login process and send them the resulting capture file. That I have done. I'm looking forward to hear what they have to say about it. While I couldn't tell what is causing the problem, I think I can see where the problem is occurring, at least in my case. Here are the results of the SSL thread from the capture file (I apologize for the poor formatting but it was the best I could do):

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Length Info

21235 333.258737000 73.35.11.171 74.201.102.12 TCP 66 54235 > https [SYN] Seq=0 Win=8192 Len=0 MSS=1460 WS=4 SACK_PERM=1
    21248 333.318908000 74.201.102.12 73.35.11.171 TCP 66 https > 54235 [SYN, ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=4380 Len=0 MSS=1460 WS=1 SACK_PERM=1
    21249 333.318951000 73.35.11.171 74.201.102.12 TCP 54 54235 > https [ACK] Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=65700 Len=0
    27248 671.744992000 73.35.11.171 74.201.102.12 SSL 177 Client Hello
    27259 672.041422000 73.35.11.171 74.201.102.12 SSL 177 [TCP Retransmission] Client Hello
    27267 672.641439000 73.35.11.171 74.201.102.12 SSL 177 [TCP Retransmission] Client Hello
    27294 673.842519000 73.35.11.171 74.201.102.12 SSL 177 [TCP Retransmission] Client Hello
    27319 676.237630000 73.35.11.171 74.201.102.12 SSL 177 [TCP Retransmission] Client Hello

*Note* 74.201.102.12 is the gls-auth.lotro.com server

You can see from the first three lines that the three-way handshake completes successfully and the two computers are communicating. But something happens when my computer send the "Client Hello" to the lotro server. it appears there is a problem with authentication on that one server. Which is really, really strange. You would think if Windows was corrupting the Client Hello packet, you wouldn't be able to log in with SSL anywhere. And if the lotro server had a problem reading Client Hello packets, nobody could log in. I have a lot more information from Wireshark if anybody is interested. I'll be happy to share what ever I have. I just thought there was way too much to try to post it all here at this time and I wasn't sure what might be important and what might not be. I'll also be sure to post the reply from Turbine support after they have a chance to look it over.

One more thing. I uninstalled the game again, created a new Turbine account and then reinstalled the game. No luck. Same behavior, same error.

I want to play!!!

This may have been suggested elsewhere, but based on one or two recent reports, can any of you getting this go into the LAN Settings options in the control panel (Control Panel > Network and internet > internet options > connections tab > LAN settings button) and check whether 'automatically detect settings' is on or off and depending on which state you find it in (e.g. if it's off, set it to on, if it's on already set it to off) change that state, click ok and ok on the internet options,

At that point then bring up www.turbine.com in Internet Explorer (IE only since it and the launcher share these options) just to confirm that IE is still connecting then (with IE still open) try logging in again.
    -Helpful Turbine Support Links-
    Note: The Customer Support forums are for Player-to-Player help, for official support, please submit a ticket to the appropriate team via the form here.

After contacting support, log into your email webpage to add noreply@turbine.com and accountsupport@turbine.com to their "safe senders" list and your contacts list/address book.

Be sure to check Spam/Junk Mail folders as well since most email providers do not let external email programs or cell phones download mail flagged this way.

Hello Mirthgar!

I tried your suggestion. In my case the "Automatically detect settings" box was checked, so I unchecked it. (Since I did not have a script, I left the "use script" box unchecked.) I opened IE, came back here and logged in to lotro.com. I left IE open and tried to log in to the game. Same behavior, same error.

*Note* - I had to start the launcher by clicking on the TurbineInvoker.exe file in Windows Explorer because for some reason my desktop shortcut no longer works. The shortcut points to the HCLOTROLoader.exe file. When I tried clicking on that file in Windows Explorer, it would not open from there either. I don't know when it quit working. I know it worked Monday because I used it to try and log in to the game when I got the Wireshark capture. I didn't try it today before I made the LAN options changes so I have no idea if that had any effect on it.

I sure hope we can get this fixed soon. I really do not want to reinstall my OS.

Hi, i am also having the same issue than some of the people in this thread, Error logging in Connection closed, i have a ticket in support and i have been receiving and sending email regarding the problem but still no solution to the problem.
    Recently i have made a big change that i tough it would help with the problem but it didn't, since a couple months ago i was thinking about changing from windows 7 to windows 8, yesterday i did the change and now, with windows 8, i tried to log in again but the connection closed error remains.
    In this thread is mentioned that reinstalling the OS has helped solve the issue in some reports, but since in my case it didn't work it looks that in my case it might not be a problem with a windows setting. Another thing to mention is that i did not download the game again after changing OS, i saved the game in a flash drive and installed from that to avoid having to download it all again, so maybe i should try downloading the game again and see if the error continues.

I have tried again (after following the guidance from the latest support email), however I am getting the same problem, enter password, click Log In, and it goes grey and nothing loads.
    Jacobar (95 Burglar) Eryendil (90 Minstrel) Justinius (90 ish Captain) of Ring Guard of Rivendell

Thank you for your post, Migethir. That's good to know. Now I'm not so sure I'll try a reinstall of my OS. I don't think your game install from the flash drive matters all that much. Many of us have performed new downloads of the game several times and it never works. Same behavior, same error.

I haven't heard anything from Turbine Support since 6/23/2014 when they asked to get a Wireshark capture of the login attempt. That's a bit annoying. At least they could let me know they are still working on it.

While waiting to hear back from Turbine, I thought I'd get a Wireshark capture of a successful login to the lotro.com server. The only difference I saw (other than being able to log in) was the successful Client Hello and Server Hello exchange on the lotro.com server were exchanged using TSLv1.2 while the unsuccessful exchange with the gls-auth.lotro.com server used SSL. Again, the Client Hello was sent once and retransmitted 4 more times with no Server Hello sent from gls-auth.lotro.com.

If this is a "Windows specific" issue, it is also specific to the gls-auth.lotro.com server. I don't have any problem logging in anywhere else, even on lotro.com.

C'mon, Turbine Support! Somebody, somewhere has got to have clue!

I was pretty hopeful when I found this thread but still nothing is working :/ I really hope they figure it out soon I just wonder where the problem started if they could find that it would be easier I think.

EDIT: I just perused through the rest of this thread and I noticed something in common with two other people, that being that it only does the two first steps in the update process then says "complete" and goes to the login screen without even doing the other steps. I have an image id link but I don't know how.
    Last edited by Darkhorizonify; Jun 28 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Hello all!

Found this thread because after a long time of playing without a problem, my launcher suddenly would not launch the game.

My specs:
    MSI Z87-S02
    i7 4770K @ 3,5Ghz
    2 x Geforce GTX780 3Gb
    2 x 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    Samsung 840 Evo 500Gb SSD
    Windows 8

So I read through this thread, and didn't really find anything that could help me, when I remebered that I had deactivated my SLi in the nVidia controlpanel the other day to show a friend a game that has some serious SLi bugs (so it has to be deactivated).
    Re-activated SLi, and the launcher now starts the game

If you have dual graphics cards, you can try this out, and if you don't, maybe there's something else there you could mess around with and try.

Quote Originally Posted by migethir View Post
    Hi, i am also having the same issue than some of the people in this thread, Error logging in Connection closed, i have a ticket in support and i have been receiving and sending email regarding the problem but still no solution to the problem.
    Recently i have made a big change that i tough it would help with the problem but it didn't, since a couple months ago i was thinking about changing from windows 7 to windows 8, yesterday i did the change and now, with windows 8, i tried to log in again but the connection closed error remains.
    In this thread is mentioned that reinstalling the OS has helped solve the issue in some reports, but since in my case it didn't work it looks that in my case it might not be a problem with a windows setting. Another thing to mention is that i did not download the game again after changing OS, i saved the game in a flash drive and installed from that to avoid having to download it all again, so maybe i should try downloading the game again and see if the error continues.
    An update to my previous post, i am finally able to log in, yesterday i did a random attempt to log in and i was able to do it with no problems, today i tried to log in again and again i was able to log in without any trouble. I was in the game for some time and i didn't have any kind of problem so i looks like for me the issue is solved, now i hope it keeps that way xD.
    I don't know what fixed the problem, i haven't changed anything and for the two or three first days after i reinstalled the OS the problem was still there, and now suddenly problem solved....?

An update to my previous post, i am finally able to log in, yesterday i did a random attempt to log in and i was able to do it with no problems, today i tried to log in again and again i was able to log in without any trouble. I was in the game for some time and i didn't have any kind of problem so i looks like for me the issue is solved, now i hope it keeps that way xD.
    I don't know what fixed the problem, i haven't changed anything and for the two or three first days after i reinstalled the OS the problem was still there, and now suddenly problem solved....?

Were there any windows updates installed automatically or driver updates done?
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=#ff0000]Currently serving [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Brecfes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] on every world....[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

Wow! Lucky you, migethir! This problem seems to just get stranger all the time. As EmyrSelyf asked, would you check to see if any Windows, drivers or any other updates have been installed?

In the meantime, I haven't heard anything from Turbine Support for a week now. I sent them the Wireshark capture like they asked but so far, no reply. I reinstalled the game again using the full download from lotro.com. This time it seemed to install without using any of the Happy Cloud stuff. it didn't make any difference, though. Same behavior, same error and I still can't log in to the game.

I'll be checking back here often and I'll be sure to post anything I get from Turbine Support.

Quote Originally Posted by EmyrSelyf View Post
    Were there any windows updates installed automatically or driver updates done?
    As far as i know no, i have windows update off, and i haven't installed anything these days. I basically use windows only for games, linux for everything else, so i don't really mess around much with it.

As far as i know no, i have windows update off, and i haven't installed anything these days. I basically use windows only for games, linux for everything else, so i don't really mess around much with it.
    That may be the root of the problem. There may be a bug that was fixed in the OS that Turbine doesn't see when trying to reproduce your issue, because their OS is up to date. In general, it is unrealistic to expect a game company to try out every new LotRO update with every old, buggy version of Windows. I recommend you apply all of the available "important" Windows updates and try again.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

I had the same problem as many in this thread and system restore worked for me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast