We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

resembles the movie with the game

Hi,
    I'm new here. I'm a big fan of movie The Lord of the Rings. How much resembles the movie with the game?
    Thank you.
    ________
    wingman
    Last edited by pristavuema; May 12 2014 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pristavuema View Post
    I'm new here. I'm a big fan of movie The Lord of the Rings. How much resembles the movie with the game?
    Pretty much the only thing the movies got remotely close to being accurate was the visual representation of Middle Earth. So, you may very well see several similarities between them.

However, as far as the events that take place in Middle Earth, the game follows the events of the Books. Not what happens in Jackson's failure of an adaptation.

Hi,
    Thank you.
    If you want to know if you'll meet the Fellowship of the Ring, Bilbo, Elrond and other iconic characters: Yes, they're in the game and we get to meet them. Sometimes we may also do some quests for/with them.

What we do not do in the game is to travel with the Fellowship. We take care of other matters, help the Free Peoples win battles that sometimes take as quite far away from the path of the Fellowship, but eventually, we always encounter them again in some way. It may be meeting the Fellowship NPCs or obscuring the traces they left behind, so the enemy will not find them. Much of the time in the lower levels, it is just indirect stuff like a totally unrelated NPC talking about the "weird strangers who passed by a few days ago", but you will see lots of reminders of the events in the books.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    If you want to know if you'll meet the Fellowship of the Ring, Bilbo, Elrond and other iconic characters: Yes, they're in the game and we get to meet them. Sometimes we may also do some quests for/with them.

What we do not do in the game is to travel with the Fellowship. We take care of other matters, help the Free Peoples win battles that sometimes take as quite far away from the path of the Fellowship, but eventually, we always encounter them again in some way. It may be meeting the Fellowship NPCs or obscuring the traces they left behind, so the enemy will not find them. Much of the time in the lower levels, it is just indirect stuff like a totally unrelated NPC talking about the "weird strangers who passed by a few days ago", but you will see lots of reminders of the events in the books.
    Agreed with this, and I'd like to add on that while we do not travel with the fellowship, LOTRO often allows us glimpses of the events that take place from the fellowship's perspective in the form of Session Plays. It's great and blends well with the epic stories as you progress. Also, while your main story is not with the fellowship, you are in someway, playing a part in a more "behind-the-scenes" role, taking care of business for the benefit of Middle Earth.

Regardless of if it follows PJ's trilogy or not, give it a chance and it'll grow on you. =)
    Haffleheim - R12 Captain (105), Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post

Well stated.

Also, except during session plays, we do not get
    to be *any* character named in the books, although
    we get to meet many of them -- including some
    who are only mentioned once or twice.

We are all members of one of the Four Free Peoples,
    who start out (at level 1) knowing nothing about
    the upcoming War of the Ring; we are all newbies,
    getting a little basic training in the use of our
    weaponry before we're sent out to deal with
    whatever's threatening us. As we go on adventuring,
    we grow in strength and skill, till by the time we
    reach the current level cap and the newest area
    open to us, we're fairly competent, and some call
    us heroes.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Hi,
    Thank you.
    The game is based on the BOOKS and not the movies. The movies are significantly different in several important places. So the game resembles the movies about as well as the movies resemble the books.

You will see many iconic places. You will meet the characters from the movie. They will NOT look like the actors in the movie. Be aware that if the game shows you events that are different from the movie, it is because the movie did it differently.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>