We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question about playing with other races.

So my friend and I both recently made accounts intending to play together. I made a Hobbit and she made an Elf. Little did we know that...their quests don't actually seem to have anything to do with each other. I was wondering, do the main story quests eventually overlap? Or do they stay separate the whole time/one of us needs to make a new character?

Quote Originally Posted by GenteelMan View Post
    So my friend and I both recently made accounts intending to play together. I made a Hobbit and she made an Elf. Little did we know that...their quests don't actually seem to have anything to do with each other. I was wondering, do the main story quests eventually overlap? Or do they stay separate the whole time/one of us needs to make a new character?
    Welcome to the game!

Each race has a slightly different start to the game as you've discovered. Elves and Dwarves begin their adventures in Ered Luin, while Hobbits and Men begin in Bree-Land. Hobbits are eventually sent back to the Shire while Men stay on in Bree-Land. These starter regions only affect your first few levels (and, if you want, you can even run yourself to another race's starter region once you reach the main world). If you're asking about the Epic Quests, Book 1 joins all of the races up after they've finished the prologue quests. If you're talking about broader questing, the game nudges all races back toward Bree around level 15. After that, no matter what your race, you can go wherever you please. Questing together is also an option.

Happy trails!
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Actually As Soon as you finish the Intro Quest ( Skorgrím's Tomb fro Elf and Dwarf, The Assault on Archet for Man and Hobbit ) you can just go to the nearest major city to get a stable and catch a ride to the staring are your friend is in.

So
    if you want to join an Elf friend travel to Celondim in Ered Luin ( from which you can travel to other locations )

if you want to join a Dwarf friend travel to Thorins Gate in Ered Luin ( from which you can travel to other locations )

if you want to join a Hobbit friend travel to Little Delving in The Shire ( from which you can travel to other locations )

if you want to join a Man friend travel to Archet in Bree Land

You will notice, if YOU are anything other than a Man, your first quest after the into puts you in a city with a stable master from which you can easily travel to the other starting locations.
    If you are a Man, to get to a stable for travel you will have to run out of Archet, into and though Combe, then into the City of Bree and make your way to the West Gate Stable.

When you first create a character, it's put into a private Tutorial instance.

After you complete the Tutorial (or, if you're Premium/VIP and have skipped the tutorial), then you enter into the shared Introduction area.
    • Elves and Dwarves share their Introduction area at Ferin's Court.
    • Men and Hobbits share their Introduction are in Archet.

If you had been in the same shared Introduction area, you could have teamed up for the majority of the Introduction. But, since one was a Hobbit and the other was an Elf, you're at different areas.

However, the end of the Introduction is a private instance. And, once you finish that instance, your character will be dumped into the game proper.
    • Elves are sent to Celondim in Ered Luin
    • Dwarves are sent to Thorin's Hall in Ered Luin
    • Men are sent to Archet in Bree-land
    • Hobbits are sent to Michal Delving in the Shire

Each area has their own quest chain that will get you till around lvl 15. Then, all four races gather in Bree-town.

However, if you want, as soon as you finished the Introduction instance, you can hop a ride at the nearest Stable Master (West Bree gate for Men) and travel to any of the other starter area to quest together with a player of a different race.

Personally, I prefer the quests of the Elf starter area (starting in Celondim) over the other starting areas.

Thank you! That answered my question perfectly. I'll tell my friend we just have to finish the prologue. Thank you so much to everyone who answered!