We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Extra life 2014: Play Games, Heal Kids

Revamping this post to better reflect where we are (and repurpose it as the official Extra Life 2014 Thread).

The big deal this year is we're going to try and DOUBLE our 2014 total of $50,000.00. That's right $100,000.00. It's a huge number so it requires a huge incentive. Something... permanent.
    As in.... a Tattoo.

If we hit $100,000.00 on my fund raising page this year I will get the Extra life logo tattooed on my body. No you don't get to choose where, but I'll get it done as quickly as I can upon hitting the $100k Mark.
    To help with this, a local tattoo shop has volunteered to donate their time and do the tattoo for free. So when we hit $100k, I'll call them and set it up.

If you want to make this happen, and help heal sick kids then grab this link and hit the "support me" button and make your donation: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...cipantID=88974
    You can donate any amount, but I strongly recommend at least $25. This year we have two donor tiers, the standard $5 tier that gets you the titles, pets, cloaks, etc. and a $25 tier that gets you all that plus an exclusive Extra Life only Tundra Cub pet (with its own snow effect) that cannot be earned anywhere else. There is also a Ghost bear pet that is also available to anyone donating at least $25 assuming we hit the other goals. Obviously, if you donate $25, then you automatically qualify for the $5 stuff so you get it ALL.

There are a lot of other cool things on the page, so make sure you check it out!

Join Team Turbine!

If you are participating in Extra life by playing during the marathon, you can join Team Turbine and all your donors will still be supporting you and your chosen hospital. Joining Team Turbine just makes you part of a time that regularly appears at the top of the Extra Life charts for top fund raising teams.

While many of us here play for Boston Children's and many of our players do, too, you can play for any of the 170 Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. If you wanted to play for a hospital in Texas or Seattle, or somewhere else that's perfectly fine and the money you raise will still go to your chosen hospital. So there's really no reason not to join us!

If you want to join Team Turbine for Extra life 2014, you can do so Here: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...m&teamID=14408

Also, one last thing that's sometimes a little confusing for folks. If you join Team Turbine and donate money to your own page, it' doesn't count towards anything posted on my page. You have to donate directly to my page to qualify for anything up there. There was some confusion about that last year. The same is true about donating to others on the team. Let me be clear, only the donations that are made directly to my fund raising page qualify for the codes and items listed there. So make sure you are making at least one donation to my page to get all the stuff.

Major updates to incentives, the current total raised, and all other info will be posted to my official Extra life page, so make sure you check that for updates.
    Last edited by Sapience; Jul 21 2014 at 06:31 PM.

I never received my "ggodies" from the last one. That's not why I participated. But if stuff was to be given, we should have received it.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

I never recieved my goodies from this either, and had my main account perma BANNED for complaining about it.

No thanks Sapience, Ill donate my money to another charity.

Perhaps this is just my personal opinion, but donating only if you get goodies isn't donating, it's purchasing, and not a form of charity. True charity has no expectation of reward.

Let's not lose sight of the most important thing here -- Sapience and others at Turbine are using their own personal free time to raise money to help kids.

The fact they tried but failed to give everyone a reward doesn't change this at all. That mistake is in the past. Let's try to forgive and forget.

So, /swordsalute to everyone who donates to charity and spends their time encouraging others to do so.
    --= Windy Acres Ranch -- http://SteelAndMagic.com =--

The cause is a good one (there is a drive locally for the Children's Hospital of Alabama and the CMN) and I don't care if I do or don't get the premiums, even though I have gotten everything but the problematic steed this past year. Sorry things have not worked out so well for others.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    The cause is a good one (there is a drive locally for the Children's Hospital of Alabama and the CMN) and I don't care if I do or don't get the premiums, even though I have gotten everything but the problematic steed this past year. Sorry things have not worked out so well for others.
    I donated with no wish to receive anything. I donated with the express intention of giving to a worthy cause (of which there are many).
    Last edited by Chianti22; May 05 2014 at 03:53 AM.

Some questions about extra life

Hi,
    is the First 'Leet' Donor still available? And if it is, are you able to ship it to Sweden?
    Sec quest: If it is, does one get the Insanity Donor level at the same time? Would like that postcard...
    BR/Cel

So I went to your participant page (the Rick Heaton extra life page); clicked "make a donation"; & then made a donation on the page that popped up.... Was that the right page to donate on (for end of year/event rewards), or is there some other age that I was supposed to donate on?

Thanks,
    Grimsin
    Guild-Maxed Westemnet(T10) Metalsmith, (T10) Prospector, (T10) Tailor
    Power-Leveling Newbies Since Update 7! ...Now with Multi-Boxing!!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsin'sRiders View Post
    So I went to your participant page (the Rick Heaton extra life page); clicked "make a donation"; & then made a donation on the page that popped up.... Was that the right page to donate on (for end of year/event rewards), or is there some other age that I was supposed to donate on?

Thanks,
    Grimsin
    If you clicked the donate button on his page,then the donation would be listed under his profile. You can see the donators here. Not sure if this shows annon donations.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar

Donated! Hope it all goes well and I wish you the best on this endeavour Rick!

-- Tim (aka Ranatuor)
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."
    Officer in the Elders kinship - http://www.theelders.org.uk/
    We have left the wandering spark (Gilrain) to find the Song of Gold (Laurelin)...

Hey guys, thanks for the donations! We're a little ahead of where we were last year so that's a great sign!
    This year the folks at Extra Life finally updated their donor pages to be basically endless and allow a lot of flexibility. So as of today, I've posted images of some of the in game mounts (3 this year) and titles.

You can find it all on my page: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...cipantID=88974

To donate you just need to hit "support me" on that page. Thanks again to everyone who steps up and makes a contribution. It's a powerful statement on what gamers, and this community specifically, are really all about.

Seeing this now, and will look into it more later.
    May you raise $99,999.00 and be very proud!

A fantastic amount of coin, and no ink. But admiring the goal, nevertheless.

Cheers

I couldn't donate last year, but I'm going to try this year! I hope they take the type of secure credit card my bank here in Sweden lets people make for safe use on the internet If they don't, I might be able to donate anyway, but it will be a bit later since I have to figure something out with my bank

Anyway, I have a little question

I noticed that the names of the people who has donated is visible to everyone, and I was wondering if clicking "Make this donation anonymously" while also clicking "Allow participant to see my e-mail address" will make it so the participant (Sapience) can see my email, but strangers on the internet won't be able to see my name or anything else?
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the donations! We're a little ahead of where we were last year so that's a great sign!
    This year the folks at Extra Life finally updated their donor pages to be basically endless and allow a lot of flexibility. So as of today, I've posted images of some of the in game mounts (3 this year) and titles.

You can find it all on my page: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?...cipantID=88974

To donate you just need to hit "support me" on that page. Thanks again to everyone who steps up and makes a contribution. It's a powerful statement on what gamers, and this community specifically, are really all about.
    I'd like a chance to win some of the goodies for each of my accounts (3). How would I go about this?

Sapience, I just noticed that your Extra Life page now lists a cosmetic "Ghost Bear" pet as an incentive for a future goal you set.

I absolutely love the idea to have an exclusive al-classes cosmetic pet for those who donate, especially as this seem to not be available by any other means. I think something like this fits perfectly with the spirit of the other incentives.

What I do not like about this particular pet is that it is too close to some of the LM combat pets, thus infringing on the traditional territory of that class. I'd rather not have any all-classes cosmetic pets come that close to an LM pet (not even the cosmetic ones, but much less the actual combat pets). The LM pets I'm referring too are not only the Bear, but even more so two variations of the Spirit of Nature pet, the Spirit Bear and the Spirit Bear cub. From the picture on your Extra Life page, I think the main difference from the Ghost Bear all-classes cosmetic pet to the Spirit Bear Cub LM combat pet is that the former is of a more bluish tint than the latter. (As an aside, it would be nice if the pic of the new pet actually showed the head/face so we could get a better impression of it.)

For reference, some links to pictures of the LM pets:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/File...appearance.jpg

Please replace this Ghost Bear pet with something that does not resemble an existing LM pet quite so closely. You can keep the ghostly flavour of the pet, but please change the type of animal it resembles. A Ghost Stag would make a nice pet without stepping on LMs' toes, or a Ghost Badger. I could even accept a Ghost Bat or the Ghost version of a Holly Lizard from Eregion. There is enough options out there that should be doable without too much work, but please, keep LM pets exclusive to LMs.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

I do not want to offend anyone, but I just want to point out and remind the main reason: we are collecting money for kids, it's not about buying goodies, even less about being picky what to get for being nice and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    Sapience, I just noticed that your Extra Life page now lists a cosmetic "Ghost Bear" pet as an incentive for a future goal you set.

I absolutely love the idea to have an exclusive al-classes cosmetic pet for those who donate, especially as this seem to not be available by any other means. I think something like this fits perfectly with the spirit of the other incentives.

What I do not like about this particular pet is that it is too close to some of the LM combat pets, thus infringing on the traditional territory of that class. I'd rather not have any all-classes cosmetic pets come that close to an LM pet (not even the cosmetic ones, but much less the actual combat pets). The LM pets I'm referring too are not only the Bear, but even more so two variations of the Spirit of Nature pet, the Spirit Bear and the Spirit Bear cub. From the picture on your Extra Life page, I think the main difference from the Ghost Bear all-classes cosmetic pet to the Spirit Bear Cub LM combat pet is that the former is of a more bluish tint than the latter. (As an aside, it would be nice if the pic of the new pet actually showed the head/face so we could get a better impression of it.)

For reference, some links to pictures of the LM pets:

Please replace this Ghost Bear pet with something that does not resemble an existing LM pet quite so closely. You can keep the ghostly flavour of the pet, but please change the type of animal it resembles. A Ghost Stag would make a nice pet without stepping on LMs' toes, or a Ghost Badger. I could even accept a Ghost Bat or the Ghost version of a Holly Lizard from Eregion. There is enough options out there that should be doable without too much work, but please, keep LM pets exclusive to LMs.

Bear combat pets are exclusive to LMs. Ghost bear is a cosmetic only pet and as you point out does have a different appearance from the LM pet. Also, if you don't know about Ghost bear, you can learn more here.

Quote Originally Posted by Orivien View Post
    I do not want to offend anyone, but I just want to point out and remind the main reason: we are collecting money for kids, it's not about buying goodies, even less about being picky what to get for being nice and helpful
    yes please. I know it's fun to see what the things are and to reach goals and get wrapped up in the "what's next on the list" ride, but ultimately there is one goal and only one goal. To raise as much money as we possibly can to help heal sick kids. That's it. One clear mission statement.

As if that needed further clarification, I'll share this tweet from Extra Life:

@ExtraLife4Kids: Impact fact: This #July alone, 170 @CMNHospitals will treat approx. 68,000 kids for cancer, 70,000 kids for surgeries & 29,000 NICU babies.
    There really are no other reasons or numbers that should be needed to understand what I want to do. Make the numbers on THIS PAGE as big as possible. All the titles, cosmetic pets (yes there is an exclusive Extra Life pet yet to be revealed), cloaks (yes more are coming) and mounts (3 so far, 1 more coming) and nonsense are to make it sort of fun. But the goal is always, RAISE ALL THE MONIES. I've met some of these kids and each time I talk to them I come away thinking "More. Must do more."

I don't know about other folks, but it seems I receive solicitations by phone, email, and snailmail on a daily basis for worthwhile causes. What attracted my attention to this one (as opposed to the plenitude of alternatives) was the title I've seen on various characters in the game "Hero of the small folk". I like that. I have been anticipating donating to this cause once I learn the proper mechanic to do so in a way that all of my accounts might get the title (I would think I'm not the only person with multiple accounts who is interested). Do I make one donation and still be able to use the title (or whatever) on each account, or do I need to make donations using multiple email addresses? That bit of information would be useful to me.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Quad Core i5 3470 3.20GHz - 8Gb RAM - GTX 660 Ti 2GB (SLI) - Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Paragnosis View Post
    I don't know about other folks, but it seems I receive solicitations by phone, email, and snailmail on a daily basis for worthwhile causes. What attracted my attention to this one (as opposed to the plenitude of alternatives) was the title I've seen on various characters in the game "Hero of the small folk". I like that. I have been anticipating donating to this cause once I learn the proper mechanic to do so in a way that all of my accounts might get the title (I would think I'm not the only person with multiple accounts who is interested). Do I make one donation and still be able to use the title (or whatever) on each account, or do I need to make donations using multiple email addresses? That bit of information would be useful to me.
    Last year, I received a code that I could apply to any account that I wanted to have it. I know that I donated last year. I can't remember if I donated in 2012. I will donate this year. I already have donated to the local drive.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragnosis View Post
    What I've done in years past is donate multiple times using the different email accounts that are associated with the different game accounts (mine and my wife's). I'm not sure its the only way, but its what I've done. Worked great.

I would suggest that if you want the goodies on multiple accounts, you ought to donate for each. Glad to see you'll soon be donating!
    Silverlode lvl100 raiding characters: Glaistig Skop | lvl100 solo and small group characters: Bede, Elentir, & Wibba

Moochinbras - former expert treasure-hunter of Silverlode, now enjoying retirement on Landroval

Congrats on reaching the $7.5k goal Rick!
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."
    Officer in the Elders kinship - http://www.theelders.org.uk/
    We have left the wandering spark (Gilrain) to find the Song of Gold (Laurelin)...

Quote Originally Posted by Moochi View Post
    What I've done in years past is donate multiple times using the different email accounts that are associated with the different game accounts (mine and my wife's). I'm not sure its the only way, but its what I've done. Worked great.

I would suggest that if you want the goodies on multiple accounts, you ought to donate for each. Glad to see you'll soon be donating!
    I ended up using different email accounts even though some of my game accounts share an email address. Seemed like the surest way to go.

I can't donate via Paypal apparently, gives me an error saying "Paypal doesn't respond in a prompt manner. Please try again later." since 3 days. Anyone else got this problem? It worked perfectly fine last year.
    Dobb - Hobbit Burglar R14
    Thar - Dwarf Guardian
    [DE-RP]Belegaer
    R.I.P [DE]Anduin
    Visit my YouTube-Channel!

I was also unaware I could be apart of Team Turbine for Extra Life. I have now officially joined on
    Angelswing - Angthriel - Angelstar - AsevenX - Starzdust
    [url]www.thefallenangel.guildlaunch.com[/url] Officer & Co-Founder
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000006f2b1/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast