We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

living with lag: Lag is real and can be funny if you experenced it in real life.

I know some have claimed other things about the "lag". They claim it is not real. They claim they don't know what it is. They say we do a poor job of explaining and documenting it.

Well this one is for you bud!

Now I hope we can all get on the same page.
    "Taking a new step is what people fear the most. Any revolutionary change must be preceded by a passive, affirmative, non-challenging attitude toward change among the mass of our people. They must feel so frustrated, so defeated, so lost, so futureless in the prevailing system that they are willing to let go of the past and chance the future."

Interesting marketing... anyway I can't speak for you, but anytime I have lag, (which honestly isn't very often and I can tell you exactly when it will happen i.e. in the new areas and around large groups of people. I would imagine that my lag actually is a video card or some other client side issue) my lag is not a delay like the example shown in your video. It's more like akinetopsia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akinetopsia Basically movement is frozen and then jerks and freezes again, but I don't actually see the movement when I have lag. But is my lag the same as yours? Who knows? Maybe that's why it's an issue that is so difficult to fix if it manifests differently?

Quote Originally Posted by DarObel View Post
    Interesting marketing... anyway I can't speak for you, but anytime I have lag, (which honestly isn't very often and I can tell you exactly when it will happen i.e. in the new areas and around large groups of people. I would imagine that my lag actually is a video card or some other client side issue) my lag is not a delay like the example shown in your video. It's more like akinetopsia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akinetopsia Basically movement is frozen and then jerks and freezes again, but I don't actually see the movement when I have lag. But is my lag the same as yours? Who knows? Maybe that's why it's an issue that is so difficult to fix if it manifests differently?
    The main issue is that lag is too general a term. Back in the old days, it meant network latency (the time needed for a message or a transferred file to be received by the receiver and the acknowledgement of the receipt to be received by the sender, known as the ACK/ACK handshake that suppresses the retransmission of packets). This can have multiple causes and is the final common pathway for a number of pathological conditions (no, not biological in this case of usage). To fix lag, a process similar to medical differential diagnosis is applied. Thus, when complaining of lag, people need to have ping data (tracert or similar program results) and a snapshot of the state of the backbone (internetpulse). IMO without that, people are talking past each other.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Like cdq1958 says when people talk about lag in an online game they don't necessarily mean the same thing. There are different forms of "lag" which can affect the gaming experience. Here are some examples:

• Latency issues anywhere in the network and by "anywhere" I mean not only the Internet but also the gaming providers and players network (Server <--> Client)
    • Data Loading issues on the client PC - these can usually be lowered by using an SSD
    • Data Processing issues on the client PC - could be CPU or GPU related and usually lead to a drop in FPS (extreme FPS variance is very noticeable)
    • Data Processing issues on the game server - these can lead to skill delay and rubber banding for example

Your video which is kinda funny is a good example of latency. The person sees exactly what is happening but everything is delayed by x seconds.