We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Civilization IV is evil. Just evil...

Well, I've been with out internet for a month now and won't have it until the 2nd month of May, meaning instead of LOTRO, I've been playing all those single player games I got on Steam during the Xmas sale but never played.

I cannot stop playing Civilization IV. It's like a drug lol. Even Skyrim didn't hook me this bad. I'm the Carthaginians on the huge map at marathon speed.

Have you good people ever played a single player game that just took over your life?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

In my freshman year of college, I was in upstate New York when they had those really nasty ice storms. We had power go out for one night and we all had to sleep in the library. We had power back the next day but no internet for a good 3 days, and the game I got completely lost in was The Longest Journey. It's still one of my favorites.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#009966][FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3][I][FONT=palatino linotype]I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?[/FONT][/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3]--------------------------------------------------[/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#cc9933][FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#ffcc66]> [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ffcc66][FONT=franklin gothic medium]Founder of [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=franklin gothic medium][U][URL="http://legacyofnarsilion.guildlaunch.com/"][COLOR=#99ff99]Legacy of Narsilion[/COLOR][/URL][/U][COLOR=#ffcc66] <[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff6600]- [FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=2]Extra Life Gamer | [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][U][URL="http://www.extra-life.org/participant/89904"][COLOR=#ff0033]Captain[/COLOR][/URL][/U][COLOR=#ff6600][FONT=franklin gothic medium], [+INT] Intelligence Modifiers -[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=franklin gothic medium]--------------------------------------------------[/FONT][/CENTER]

Oddly (considering your post) ... the Civ games that hooked me utterly were Civ II, III, and V. The only one that didn't appeal to me was IV.

After LotRO, Civ III is probably the single game I have been most hooked on.
    Theofrid, Wyndriel, Wendros, Glydia, Halfrid, Fridward, Friddis, Fridli, Gondaglir

I have played all the civ games and still play at least 2-3 times a week civ4.civ5 changed a lot and it's not my thing,I agree it's an evil game it gets you hooked I have done it all and still I play it
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c010000084612/signature.png]Pakak[/charsig]

It gets even more evil if you use the Rise of Mankind mod (assuming you have the BtS addon already). And if you ever overcome Civ there are the Paradox games (Europa Universalis, Victoria, Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron) to fill the gap.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Tearing out my hair on dark souls 2 atm. The game is brutal in how badly it punishes failure. Once you get past the awkwardness of the controls (which are designed for console) the game is very engaging and extremely frustrating. Old school rpg. Played civ 2 alot on playstation back in the day.

I play all the time...usually as Brennus but alternate occasionally to other cultures....right now I'm Egyptian, also using the huge map and marathon time. It's so bad I've got my 8 year old son addicted too.

I have played all the civs somewhere in 1 of my storage boxes i still have a copy of the First Civ game.. Right now im playing both lotro and the Zulu's in Civ V, Huge map marathon speed, Also find myself playing borderlands 2 a bit.
    [center]***[color=red]Public Safety Reminder:[/color] When Driving, Please [u]do not[/u] use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over off the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as a continued reminder, [u]do not[/u] or Drink and Drive when Celebrating.***[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    I have played all the civs somewhere in 1 of my storage boxes i still have a copy of the First Civ game.. Right now im playing both lotro and the Zulu's in Civ V, Huge map marathon speed, Also find myself playing borderlands 2 a bit.
    There's a fond place in my memory for a phalanx beating up a battleship back in Civ I...

I've played some of the Civ series (I-III & ToT), as well as the first three of both Age of Empires and Heroes of Might & Magic. Apparently all of my gaming experience stopped in 1999.
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Ah, the Civ series, one of my all-time favorites. The amount of time I spent playing Civ II is almost criminal.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by Warmutkan View Post
    There's a fond place in my memory for a phalanx beating up a battleship back in Civ I...

I've played some of the Civ series (I-III & ToT), as well as the first three of both Age of Empires and Heroes of Might & Magic. Apparently all of my gaming experience stopped in 1999.
    I started with Civ II, but I've heard stories for years about cases in Civ I, where a smaller unit would beat up a battleship.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I started with Civ II, but I've heard stories for years about cases in Civ I, where a smaller unit would beat up a battleship.
    Yup. :P

It was based on how the game calculated odds of victory: even though the phalanx was obviously inferior, play the odds for long enough and you're going to lose a lot of modern weaponry to sticks and torches.
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

its been so long i dont even remember the graphics of civ I.. Can you just imagine civ I graphics compared to what we are used to today. Wow... I recently went back and played the original Command and Conquer. that was a chore trying to run and do the missions. The graphics back then may have been top of the line but at todays standards they are ewwwwwwww.. lol

I also played an offshoot of the civ series called Alpha Century, spelling may be off a bit.

Also in my stockpile of ancient games hiding in storage boxes.. Bards tale series and the first Ultima games. Even have a flight simulator game for the old TSR80. hehe.

why, yes im a semi old fart.

64k is all you will ever need.
    ahh the good ole days when dial up was the prime and AOL was making millions charging an hourly rate to connect to em.
    [center]***[color=red]Public Safety Reminder:[/color] When Driving, Please [u]do not[/u] use your cell phones to call or text. If something is that important pull over off the road and stop the vehicle, then return to driving when done. Also as a continued reminder, [u]do not[/u] or Drink and Drive when Celebrating.***[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Gagmuk View Post
    . Bards tale series and the first Ultima games.

I was playing Ultima 6 last night(thank God for Good Old Games). I must have played and beaten that game at least 4 or 5 times over the last 25 years.

I started a new game in Civ IV a couple of days ago as the British. I must really be a bad player because at chieftain level barbarian swordsmen and archers took about 5 of my 8 cities. I was at the point to where all three of my remaining cities were making just archers and sending them to the city receiving the barbarian assaults. I guess the barbarians ran out of men because they stopped. So what I did was send 4 archers with every settler to make a new city. It wasn't until I had 10 cities are so with a stable border before the barbarian hordes slowed down to a few units every blue moon. By then I had multiple archers and walls on my frontier cities. But for a while I had have a really strong garrison for each new city.

Ultima 7 part one, The Black Gate. Being able to go everywhere (unicorn in a cave?!), take anything (talking stones!), place most of it anywhere (Lord British's own bedroom)... now that was an RPG at it's finest. Daggerfall came close, but seemed too 'random' at times, so it's stuck at 2nd position, tied with Civ4, allthough Civ 5 is catching up really fast.

For some reason newer games can't keep me interested. While Skyrim has everything I loved about Ultima and Daggerfall, I just can't enjoy it and as for Civilization5; couldn't stand it prior to Gods and Kings expansion.

Edit; RPG, not MMO...
    Last edited by Cambruyn; May 05 2014 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambruyn View Post
    Ultima 7 part one, The Black Gate. Being able to go everywhere (unicorn in a cave?!), take anything (talking stones!), place most of it anywhere (Lord British's own bedroom)... now that was an MMO at it's finest. Daggerfall came close, but seemed too 'random' at times, so it's stuck at 2nd position, tied with Civ4, allthough Civ 5 is catching up really fast.

For some reason newer games can't keep me interested. While Skyrim has everything I loved about Ultima and Daggerfall, I just can't enjoy it and as for Civilization5; couldn't stand it prior to Gods and Kings expansion.
    The Black Gate was awesome! Yeah, Daggerfall came close, but Black Gate was close to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmutkan View Post
    Yup. :P

It was based on how the game calculated odds of victory: even though the phalanx was obviously inferior, play the odds for long enough and you're going to lose a lot of modern weaponry to sticks and torches.
    Yeah, the Empire learned the hard way on Endor
    Sabian- Hunter85
    All warfare is based on deception

So many good games, that ate up so much time (half of it was loading; ugh!). Don't forget the D&D Gold Box games.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir