We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NEW PLAYER IN NEED OF HELP, F2p Subscription TP farming question!

Greetings LOTRO Community may you'r journeys be safe and swift!

To get to the point, I am a new player in LOTRO by the years I have played a lot games and also other MMOs so I have a few questions and if you could help and shed a little light in the darkness I would highly appreciate it.

Is this game so much pay-to-win? I have seen the marketplace and the TP has a big role to play?!
    How much I can play with F2P account before I need to subscribe some money? ( what level range ? )
    I have seen some guides that you can farm TP and get some expansions and dont even spent a dollar/euro in the game. Do they exist? Should I Do it?
    If I choose not to give money full money to the game and grind some TP and then subscribe some money to adjust the requirements and buy expansions gonna work for me?
    Is there a community that does play the game or the game is dead?
    How about Guilds/Clans? They exist?
    How about raiding?
    Is there any pvp?

If you have a good guide about the newbies and first-starters I would like to see it and learn from it, I like the game and my friends also so basicly we said that if everything checks ok with the game and if we ask the community and take some answers we should give more focus and play the game.

-We value community answers 10 times better than a stupid youtube video I hope you understand!

Well, I don't think the game is pay-to-win. The TP is used to buy content and fluff like horses and cosmetic clothing. You can play free until around level 30 because those are when the free quests run out. Yeah, guides on how to earn TP do exist, you CAN do it but I wouldn't advise you to, too much time wasted. If you grind TP to buy the expansions and such, yeah, it'll work. Yeah, there is a community that plays the game and I don't think the game is dead. Guilds/Clans are Kinships in this game, just so you know but yeah, we have them. Yeah, there are raids in this game. There is PVP in the form of Player-vs-Monster-Player, you can go up to the level cap and if you have VIP or Mithril Coins, you can send your character into the PVP zone. You can also play as a monster player character as sson as you reach level 10.
    Riddermark Freeps and Creeps: Morgunith, LM/Hadellost, Burglar/Nukzat, Reaver Rank 6
    Meneldor Freeps and Creeps: Cambanod, Cpt

Quote Originally Posted by LeviathAN-GR View Post
    Greetings LOTRO Community may you'r journeys be safe and swift!

To get to the point, I am a new player in LOTRO by the years I have played a lot games and also other MMOs so I have a few questions and if you could help and shed a little light in the darkness I would highly appreciate it.

Is this game so much pay-to-win? I have seen the marketplace and the TP has a big role to play?!
    How much I can play with F2P account before I need to subscribe some money? ( what level range ? )
    I have seen some guides that you can farm TP and get some expansions and dont even spent a dollar/euro in the game. Do they exist? Should I Do it?
    If I choose not to give money full money to the game and grind some TP and then subscribe some money to adjust the requirements and buy expansions gonna work for me?
    Is there a community that does play the game or the game is dead?
    How about Guilds/Clans? They exist?
    How about raiding?
    Is there any pvp?

If you have a good guide about the newbies and first-starters I would like to see it and learn from it, I like the game and my friends also so basicly we said that if everything checks ok with the game and if we ask the community and take some answers we should give more focus and play the game.

-We value community answers 10 times better than a stupid youtube video I hope you understand!
    Hello there!

As much as there are many parts of LOTRO that you can pay for, I wouldn't call it a pay-to-win game. It's a bit of a hybrid since you can unlock most content with TPs, but it would take a very long time to get everything without spending money on something.

A single account with a single character can comfortably hit Level 35 without spending any cash or TPs. The lower-level zones (Shire, Ered Luin, Breeland, and Lone Lands) will be enough to get you there. After that, you're still able to follow the Epic storyline, but your options drastically decrease unless you spend TPs. If you pick up regions/quest packs when they're on sale, a single character account can still avoid paying cash for a good while. I think I was level 50 when I first spent cash on the game. For me, that was after buying two regions (Evendim and Forochel) using Turbine Points. Certainly to level 50 that sort of thing is possible. After level 50, you'll either need multiple characters or money: levelling a single character on deeds along is a tall order. Having extra characters on your account is a quick way to boost your TP count since you can do simple deeds fairly quickly.

You can certainly play F2P and then decide to go P2P later on if you think it's worth it. That's exactly what I did. You also don't have to go fully P2P: you can unlock VIP for a short term, or just use money to buy expansions (rather than using TPs). You won't have as many perks as a full P2P player, but it's still a viable option.

The game isn't dead. Certainly not, or we wouldn't see the activity on the forums, twitter, and in the game. Some places are quieter than others, some places have been busier in the past, but by no means will you be the only one in the game. Kinships (LOTRO's guilds/clans) exist and come in all shapes and sizes. Many of them have raiding/PvMP groups who spend time in that part of the game as well. Shop around for a group that fits your needs - they're out there!
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Technically, LoTRO is not F2p, it's more pay to play, either by grinding TP to buy quest packs, expansions and other items you might like to have, buying TP with money or subscribing to VIP. Or all of the above.

As F2p you will be limited to 2 characters (per game server), 3 Inventory bags and a money cap of 2 Gold plus a few other things. You will be able to play the starter areas including all the quests in them and the Epic storyline. ( up to about level 30-32) Beyond the starter areas you would need to purchase quest packs/expansions to gain access to the quests. The Epics in all areas are accessible to you all the way through Wildermore. After Wildermore, you would have no choice but to purchase Helm's Deep with TP or money if you wished to continue the Epic Story and quests there.

PvP yes as stated in the previous answer.

Raids yes to that too.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

1 Twinfall Path, Celos-en-Nauth, Falathlorn
    LotRO is not a strict pay-to-play game, I find it strikes a much better balance in terms of what you can play with no money spent versus money spent. The free quests get you up to the level 30-35 range. Then things get difficult to level up. The epic quest line is still available, but that will outlevel you much faster than you can level with no quests. Sure, you can do the two free skirmishes, Defense of Gondamon and Trouble in Tuckborough, multiple times to level up, but that gets repetitive and boring. What I did was bought one month of VIP and a 2,000 TP card. I also had another character. I bought the next quest pack for my level, Trollshaws. VIP got me 500 TP plus all inventory bags plus trait slots, both of which I could keep. Prior to buying the TP and VIP, I shelled enough TP to unlock the gold cap and riding skill. I now have a character set to level 61 with my purchases, still with 270-ish TP from completing random deeds. Essentially, it is not necessarily how much you buy, but how smart you buy if you spend money. So can you get to level cap without spending a penny? Yeah...but it would not be fun. Multiple characters get TP fast with low-level deeds.

Kinships are like guilds, see the Kinships category on the forums.

All servers have communities, but pick a server corresponding to your time zone to get the optimal community.

Raids are available throughout game, I think you get two before you have to buy more. More raids come with quest packs and expansions.

Hope this helps.
    Night is falling,
    So ends this day.
    The Road is now calling
    And I must away.

:O thanks a lot for the help and the knowledge that you share

Is there any lvling-guides that you followed or advices? TP farming guide?( is it legit? - can I get banned by stating such a thing or doing it? )
    I will google them but its better ask the community than going blind...
    From what you told me altho I have similar ideas and my friends also,I told them that what u said guys and we agreed that we gonna play the game do a little bit of farming but aint gonna spend big in a game that we dont even know the basics and the mechanics, not that we dont like or enjoy our gaming time...

Best common guide that I found about leveling is :
    HTML Code:
    http://www.lotro-guru.com/lotro-professions.html
    I havent asked anything about professions and In-game money ( like gold-silver-copper),my character is a Dwarf-Guardian and I am going for tanking game-play and probably and alt-toon healer.
    Do professions worth the time to spend and craft?
    Is there a level up-gear-up system on them?
    I have seen a lot of complains about LOTRO and time spending on the game,a lot of people quit the game and some people that quit the game stated that they just spent a lot of time and they wanted a short or permanent break from it because they have reached their limits.

:O thanks a lot for the help and the knowledge that you share

Is there any lvling-guides that you followed or advices? TP farming guide?( is it legit? - can I get banned by stating such a thing or doing it? )
    I will google them but its better ask the community than going blind...
    From what you told me altho I have similar ideas and my friends also,I told them that what u said guys and we agreed that we gonna play the game do a little bit of farming but aint gonna spend big in a game that we dont even know the basics and the mechanics, not that we dont like or enjoy our gaming time...

Well, people usually do Evendim, Forochel or Angmar(for solo or mostly group content, respectively), Moria, Mirkwood or Enedwaith, Isengard, Rohan and then Helm's Deep(If I'm not mistakened). TP farming is indeed legit and you will not get banned for it.

Hope you enjoy your time in Middle-Earth!
    Riddermark Freeps and Creeps: Morgunith, LM/Hadellost, Burglar/Nukzat, Reaver Rank 6

HTML Code:
    I havent asked anything about professions and In-game money ( like gold-silver-copper),my character is a Dwarf-Guardian and I am going for tanking game-play and probably and alt-toon healer.
    I have seen a lot of complains about LOTRO and time spending on the game,a lot of people quit the game and some people that quit the game stated that they just spent a lot of time and they wanted a short or permanent break from it because they have reached their limits.
    Professions are worth the time because you get useful stuff from crafting. If you're asking about if the professions level up then yes, they do level up. Well, everyone's like that at one point(or so I believe), sometimes people just need a break from the game.

HTML Code:
    The only possible answer I can offer is to give the game your best effort. Only you should be influenced by what you experience and what you decide to make of the game, not by other peoples opinions.

Crafted gear is pretty decent, and the crafting system has been made a bit easier with something called "processing" Processing resources such as hides, ores etc makes leveling your chosen profession go a lot faster. There are currently 8 (or is it 9, counts fingers :P) Tiers (levels) of crafting. Recipes come from a variety of sources. Landscape mob drops, some drop in Instances or you can get them from certain (limited # of) repeatable quests. Others require that you join crafting Guilds and attain increasing levels of Guild mastery in order to buy recipes and still others require that you have Kindred standing with various reputation factions. Be careful when buying recipes from rep factions. If you are not buying on the character that needs the recipe, you won't be able to use it OR send it to the character who does need it, because they are bound items. Sometimes you can buy recipes on the AH when you get frustrated at not getting the exact one you need. You take your chances though, so be warned! Crafting still does take time and effort though.

Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy the journey that is LoTRO.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2521c000000241fb6/signature.png]Galaetea[/charsig]

"There will be no Dawn for Men" ~ Saruman the White

Hope you enjoy your time in Middle-Earth!
    Anyway, whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy the journey that is LoTRO.
    Thanks a lot guys!

Only you should be influenced by what you experience and what you decide to make of the game, not by other peoples opinions.
    I know that but second and third opinions never hurt anyone or anything :P.
    I always ask another player how was his trip and if he had fun playing the game because we dont share the same sights-optics-opinions about things.

Since I havent take any professions from the start and now I am 16 level I am gonna take it from the start, if professions do play a gear-up role in the game then its a must.
    Because we are new players and this game is from 2010/11 and has LOADS of expansions that's why we hold back a bit about pricing and spending.
    Buying 3-4 expansions in a game that you have 0 knowledge about mechanics and going that big in the market is not wise I think :P

Well, the four free regions have quests that will get you to lvl 30. By then, you should have a good idea whether or not you're enjoying the game, and want to continue.

As for the Vocations/Professions, it's always helpful to be able to craft your own gear; Weapons, armor, jewellery, consumables, etc.
    From lvl 7 through to about lvl 50, crafted gear will generally be slightly better than quest rewards and bartered gear.

Then, from lvl 50 on, Crafted gear falls behind quest rewards, especially in the Weapons department, with the addition of the Legendary weapons (which you can start at lvl 45).
    So, after lvl 50, the main point in crafting is either for consumables (food, potions, scrolls, etc.) or to be able to craft your own Legendary items (requires Guild access) without having to rely on the kindness of strangers.

As for which Profession crafts which Legendary item...
    • Cook - none
    • Jeweller - Rune-keeper weapons, Champion class items
    • Metalsmith - Captain and Guardian class items
    • Scholar - Lore Master and Minstrel class items
    • Tailor - Burglar and Rune-keeper class items
    • Weaponsmith - Metal-based melee weapons
    • Woodworker - Wood-based melee weapons, Hunter's bows and Warden's Javelins

Welcome to Middle Earth Leviathan. I think pretty much all of your questions relating to content etc have previously been covered above.

What server have you decided to play on? and what are the names of your character/s? If you are on my server I will help you out with crafted equipment whether it be armour, jewelery or weapons and also have low level characters who i could run along with you to help in the leveling process and also the company.

I play on Meneldor and my main's name is Rimfin.

Thank you HaleElven & Rimfin for info

The game is magestic and I am getting lost in the game and level of details that it has, it may be old mmorpg and doesnt have a lot of graphics but the detail of the world combine with LoTRO story tale is amazing. I will work my professions and level them, altho I am gonna start doing some TP farming to see how is it rolling.

Rimfin I play on Server Withywindle unfortunatly...

One more thing guys, I would like you to comment on a youtube video about a dude saying something abou TP farming I am wondering if it's legit or he is talking bs :P
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emur7yRJcR8

Re: Fastest "free" way to get Turbine Points?

I find doing these deeds easiest (for me) to do (i tp grind as Elf Hunter):

Ally/Defender/Hero of Ered Luin - 10/20/30 Quests completed in Ered Luin (45pts)

Elf Ruins Exploration (Ered Luin) - Find 5 Elf Ruins (5pts)
    Places of the Dwarves (Ered Luin) - Find 5 dwarf places (5pts)
    Scouting the Dourhands (Ered Luin) - Find 4 places (5pts)

Wolf Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Wolves (15pts)
    Goblin Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Goblins (15pts)
    Hendroval Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Hendrovals (15pts)
    Brigand Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Brigands (15pts)
    Spider Slayer (Ered Luin) - Kill 30/60 Spiders (15pts)

This is a total of 135pts, if you havent grabbed the free 10pts per server then that will increase it to 145 on the first run. If you are diligent should be able to do this in a few hours.
    One thing that I saw the other day and forgot to mention it.

I made this from the info that I took from forums:

Create new char (always human-hunter or champion) on a different server every time to get the extra tp,try to be as fast as you can.

I did a quick work with painting so to be easy to track down locations ( with white and in THalls 1 black location),monsters ( red ) chetwood north is for Brigand Slayer altho they can be found in Ered Luin.
    Last edited by LeviathAN-GR; Apr 29 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    As for which Profession crafts which Legendary item...
    • Cook - none
    • Jeweller - Rune-keeper weapons, Champion class items
    • Metalsmith - Captain and Guardian class items
    • Scholar - Lore Master and Minstrel class items
    • Tailor - Burglar and Rune-keeper class items
    • Weaponsmith - Metal-based melee weapons
    • Woodworker - Wood-based melee weapons, Hunter's bows and Warden's Javelins
    In addition, Tailors make Bridles, which is a third legendary slot every class can use once you get a Warhorse. That's level 75; I've never seen a bridle that was equippable at a lower level than that. The minimum level to get the quests that get you access to the Warhorse is 71.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

As someone stated before, TP farming is a thing and it isn't an offense -- but it is kind of a very, very tedious way to earn TP. If you don't mind a very boring grind, then yes -- you can gather up TP that way.

I started playing LOTRO when it first went F2P and was available on Steam. I only did VIP once to unlock a pile of features. I also made strategic purchases at intervals as I leveled my main character. The Steam starter pack they originally offered ($20) included North Downs, Evendim and Misty Mountains, along with a premium mount and 500 TP. I'd finished the Lone-lands and North Downs and was beginning Evendim when I found a 50% deal ($10) at my local GameStop for the Mithril edition of LOTRO which included Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria and Lothlorien -- and came with another 2000 TP. That TP then was used during one of the name-your-discount promotions in the LOTRO Store, allowing me a 30% discount on the purchase of quest packs -- and I'm fairly sure I picked up Forochel, Angmar and Enedwaith without spending more than the TP I'd gotten in the Mithril edition. That took me up to level 75 without spending more than $30 or doing any tedious grinding. Once I was within a reasonable range, I bought Isengard and Great River on sale. Riders of Rohan was gifted to me. And I made the decision that Wildermore and Helm's Deep were worthwhile purchases to make for myself. The only other money I spent on the game was for fluff I wanted to have -- like mounts and cosmetics. If I found I needed just one relic removal scroll or a legendary item title, or something small in price, I went and did a few deeds to scrape up the TP I needed. I do this every so often rather than making a dull grind out of doing all of them. It's sort of a supplemental income this way and it keeps the game enjoyable for me.

Now, had I gone VIP for this whole time, I'd have spent ~$330 just on the subscription (I wouldn't be able to afford the 12-month discounted option) and still had to purchase the expansions for roughly $60-70. I don't have an interest in PvMP, so access to the Ettenmoors doesn't matter to me. Having done the one-time stint as VIP removed my gold cap, virtue slots and travel options for all of my established characters. For me, I think I got the best deal a F2P player can get (though I am considered Premium for having purchased TP).

It's possible to get a lot out of the game without spending a lot on it or grinding your time away. You just have to plan ahead.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#009966][FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3][I][FONT=palatino linotype]I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?[/FONT][/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3]--------------------------------------------------[/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#cc9933][FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#ffcc66]> [/COLOR][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ffcc66][FONT=franklin gothic medium]Founder of [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=franklin gothic medium][U][URL="http://legacyofnarsilion.guildlaunch.com/"][COLOR=#99ff99]Legacy of Narsilion[/COLOR][/URL][/U][COLOR=#ffcc66] <[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff6600]- [FONT=franklin gothic medium][SIZE=2]Extra Life Gamer | [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][U][URL="http://www.extra-life.org/participant/89904"][COLOR=#ff0033]Captain[/COLOR][/URL][/U][COLOR=#ff6600][FONT=franklin gothic medium], [+INT] Intelligence Modifiers -[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][FONT=franklin gothic medium]--------------------------------------------------[/FONT][/CENTER]

Thank you Shukar & AarawynnP for you'r help also I am so gonna buy The Lord of the Rings Triple pack, I couldnt found it in a Local store or a chain-store and I wanted the copy of the game in my room and not an electronic copy in Steam but what I cant do much more than that :P
    It isnt in my power...
    The Triple Pack gets me easily up to level75 so if I grind a bit and play another character I would have save some TP points to buy other content.

This is what I found when I searched local stores or chain-stores:

Thank you Shukar & AarawynnP for you'r help also I am so gonna buy The Lord of the Rings Triple pack, I couldnt found it in a Local store or a chain-store and I wanted the copy of the game in my room and not an electronic copy in Steam but what I cant do much more than that :P
    It isnt in my power...
    The Triple Pack gets me easily up to level75 so if I grind a bit and play another character I would have save some TP points to buy other content.

The Triple Pack was always a digital-only thing, and is not available anymore anyway AFAIK.
    It has been replaced by the Quad Pack, which is also a digital-only thing and can be purchased from the LOTRO Market on this site.
    (The Quad-Pack includes the Moria, Isengard, Mirkwood, and Rohan expansions, so everything you need to level from 50-85.)

If you want a physical copy of the game there are few options available. You could try tracking down an old boxed copy of Shadows of Angmar or Mines of Moria, but those are so old it is not much use installing from those disks. (You can get some VIP time from them if you can find a box with an unused Turbine code in it.) Another option would be trying to find a physical copy of the Mithril Edition, but as I understand it they are sold out for some time so it might be hard.

The best option for a physical copy is currently if you can find a boxed copy of Riders of Rohan. There should still be some unopened boxes available from vendors, and it is the newest code version available in a physical version. Apart from the RoR expansion it also gives you 1000 TP, a pair of steeds and some other minor stuff.

Well I think the Triple Pack can get me up to level 80 which is good, I only found Riders of Rohand in a non-digital copy in stores.
    After Triple Pack what I need to purchase so to keep going?
    I think after that I need to buy Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep to reach max cap.

For TP grinding, it gets much easier one you hit a higher level as you can run through places like Annuminas, The Barrows in Bree, Sarnur in Ered luin and places like this for reputation items. Once you get 122 of them, you can mail them to your second character, and upon use gain 50TP per group.
    Add that to the deeds and you have quite a bounty.
    I usually make 250-400TP per burner alt
    Sabian- Hunter85
    All warfare is based on deception

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast