We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Too few Fangorn quests

Unless I've missed something, after the initial quests you're stuck with doing the "Quieting" quests and crafting instances to get Fangorn rep and leaves (plus the seed series but that's 5 days long). One of my characters has the quieting quest bug which means they never get offered, so I'm basically stuck doing crafting instances.

Doing the same 3 instances every day is plain boring. I don't mind doing a bit of grinding and at least with Wildermore there were an assortment of quests to get rep with them but Fangorn seems very lacking in variety.

I'd quite like to get some of the armour but at 400 leaves for a teal/gold chance recipe I don't think I can stand the tedium of repeating the same instances to get that many leaves. There's new teal recipes available from guild crafters but frankly they aren't as good as existing gear and don't compare to the single use Fangorn recipes.

If Fangorn had a range of at least 10 quests there'd be something to do but I think I will be burnt out after getting kindred rep on 2 char, never mind all the others I would usually get to max rep.

What do you think?

Entwood is terrible.

In Moria, there were daily instances at Dolen View that gave you LI titles.
    In Isengard, there was a daily instance at Galtrev that gave you LI titles.
    In the Eastemnet, there was a daily instance at Hytbold that gave you LI titles.
    In the Westemnet, there are LI titles that you have to barter for after becoming Friend and for 100 Fanghorn currency.

One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

There are about 20-25 quests in the Entwood, not very many at all, but it is a mini-region.

Then again, at about this time each year, Turbine would have normally released a new zone (e.g Wildermore, Great River, Enedwaith and so on) with around 100 quests and some repeatable content including fully fledged region deeds. Not sure what made this update seem so much lesser.
    Last edited by zalladi; Apr 26 2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Deeds
    [center]Superior Grand Master Spectator of Wall-Paint Drying[/center]

I would imagine we will get a full region (Dol Armoth/Paths of the Dead in update 14 this summer. Yes I felt like Update 13 was kinda rushed. I guess its some kinda April Fool's joke on us from Turbine by how small and short the quest and epic quest there was. Though I didn't find it all that funny. They could lose players by doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgoing View Post
    I would imagine we will get a full region (Dol Amroth/Paths of the Dead in update 14 this summer. Yes I felt like Update 13 was kinda rushed. I guess its some kinda April Fool's joke on us from Turbine by how small and short the quest and epic quest there was. Though I didn't find it all that funny. They could lose players by doing this.
    Whh tells me Turbine put into U13 what players had been
    asking for: more in Fangorn, and flooded Isengard.

(And I don't know what everybody else was asking for,
    but I was delighted to see Lothrandir freed.)

To do enough of Quickbeam's quests to get Kindred will
    take us will take us about three weeks, if we're diligent.
    About the same as getting Kindred with Limlight Gorge.

Do recall that they're doing small updates, small fixes,
    and no full-scale expansion this year.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by zalladi View Post
    There are about 20-25 quests in the Entwood, not very many at all, but it is a mini-region.

Then again, at about this time each year, Turbine would have normally released a new zone (e.g Wildermore, Great River, Enedwaith and so on) with around 100 quests and some repeatable content including fully fledged region deeds. Not sure what made this update seem so much lesser.
    You are partially incorrect and correct in this.

Example:
    April 2014 Entwood/Flooded Isengard landscape end-game, Revamp of NDowns, MM, TS, Balancing, Moria Instances rebalanced, +other stuffs...
    May 2013 Wildermore Release
    March 2013 (Erebor Cluster)
    December 2012 Mirkwood Scaled
    May 2012 New skirmish storm at methedras and Moria revamp
    March 2012 Great River released
    June 2011 Inn of the Forsaken and Halls of Night + 2 Skirmishes
    April 2011 - In their Absense Raid Cluster

If you look at this timeline in light of where we are today in LotRO, I count the April 2014 U13 release as the traditional March release because of the layoffs, new management, new objectives delaying things this year. Just my observation that when a development team gets overhauled it takes at least 3 weeks for people to adjust to new roles / eliminate agenda items that can no longer be accomplished.

With this in mind, I'd expect U14 for release in June or possibly early July.
    Last edited by Leixy; Apr 27 2014 at 01:29 AM.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

In regards to the amount of Fangorn quests, I view Fangorn/U13/Entwood like a late addendum to Helms Deep that was meant to be released with the expansion but got delayed/repackaged because of Big Battle / re-balancing taking so much developer time.

Also, yes, it is true you only get 10 quests + 1 progression quest per day. however, remember, we only got 5 hytbold quests every day unless you spent mithril coins, which btw, I'm surprised we cannot reset Entwood quests with Mithril Coins.

The seed quests are extremely diverse and the quieting quests also have diversity, it is not the same quest every day.

The Entwood are lore based quests, not meant for challenge, but to absorb the player into the world of ent concerns, and they are implemented effectively.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

In all fairness, Entwood is a tiny area, it just basically fills the hole in the middle of the other three areas of Fangorn, but the quest content ran out very quickly, in flooded Isengard as well. And there's no point in doing the dailies, since by the time you get enough leaves for the helm and shoulders, the next update with a new level cap will almost be out. The crafting instances are tedious after the first run through them, making myself do all three every day is not possible. You only need to kill 20 enemies, but you end up having to kill twice that many to reach the end.
    So yeah, this was a pretty bare update, aside from the system upgrades, and revamps of old areas. The epic line was pretty good though.

Goreamir - 100 Cap | Jinwe - 88 Hnt | Celebourne - 90 Champ | Humblefoot - 75 Min | Dorfus - 74 Grd | Creonath - 55 Wdn | Stormcraban - 35 LM | Whippit - 35 Brg | Thangadir - 33 RK | Bucksexton - 24 Bng

Quote Originally Posted by HaleElven View Post
    Entwood is terrible.

In Moria, there were daily instances at Dolen View that gave you LI titles.
    In Isengard, there was a daily instance at Galtrev that gave you LI titles.
    In the Eastemnet, there was a daily instance at Hytbold that gave you LI titles.
    In the Westemnet, there are LI titles that you have to barter for after becoming Friend and for 100 Fanghorn currency.

One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?
    In between Moria and Isengard there were titles in both Lothlorien and Enedwaith that you needed to barter for after earning sufficient rep. (Maybe Mirkwood too, but I've not done that area fully.)

The Lorien title for Beleriand damage could also be obtained from the instance Midnight Raid, so not a big deal. Just gave an alternate method for obtaining this title for solo players. It was expensive, but most of us could squeeze out a title or two per solo character.

The requisite barter items for a couple or three Enedwaith titles plus the necessary rep could be picked up before you got to Llanuch. The repeatable quests gave you the opportunity to barter a few more titles after that. All of my characters hit Great River and then RoR with a few Enedwaith titles in the vault for future use.

Both of these were reasonable efforts.

Fangorn seems like a quick and easy design job to me. Apply the grind of a larger region (like GR or Wildermore) to a single area.

I'm going to end up doing Fangorn in full only with my 95 Hunter/Historian, and then only for the bluebell bulb and steel blue dye recipes. (He will no doubt run back to RoR and do a bit of Hytbold rebuilding in order to have a source of titles for the next time the level cap raises and we get new LIs.)
    Last edited by Nosdracir; Apr 27 2014 at 01:54 AM.
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com

Been VIP for 2.5 years... fangorn was so poorly done in story and content I cancelled my sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    [SNIP]
    You're failing to see the fact that, even though there are several places to barter for LI titles...

Moria, Isengard and the Eastemnet had daily instance for LI titles. That's ONE day, ONE instance, ONE LI title, ZERO grind.
    Westemnet, and subsequent Entwood, don't have that. It's just grind, grind, grind for rep. THEN, the EGREGIOUS cost of one-hundred Fanghorn currency. So, grind, grind, grind for currency.

My friends already quitted because this new zone. I wouldn't mind the Fangorn quests, but the crafting instances are something so poorly done, I would ask why should I pay anything anymore to Turbine? They took every part of them from previous instances, there is 0 of invention in them and you should grind them every day instead of quests. Are they insane?
    Limlight gorge was original atleast, you had a nice instance there which was connected to it with a boss fight. This is much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    In regards to the amount of Fangorn quests, I view Fangorn/U13/Entwood like a late addendum to Helms Deep that was meant to be released with the expansion but got delayed/repackaged because of Big Battle / re-balancing taking so much developer time.

Also, yes, it is true you only get 10 quests + 1 progression quest per day. however, remember, we only got 5 hytbold quests every day unless you spent mithril coins, which btw, I'm surprised we cannot reset Entwood quests with Mithril Coins.

The seed quests are extremely diverse and the quieting quests also have diversity, it is not the same quest every day.

The Entwood are lore based quests, not meant for challenge, but to absorb the player into the world of ent concerns, and they are implemented effectively.

Not only diverse but extremely diverse?

No wonder the bar is set so low.

I'm afraid to say, but killing 8 different mobs each day, or collecting 8 different mulches each day is not what I would call diverse.

I don't care what you call it - a mini-region, a blurb, a footnote in history, the Entwood is a grindy, boring place. Not even what I would consider a handful of quests but with a full rep expectation and sky-high barter item prices. I mean, this is ridiculous. Even Book 14, was it? Very, very brief. Hytbold was mind-numbingly boring, something Turbine has decided is how MMOs are supposed to be, but even that had more quests to do each day. I've been disappointed overall with this update. Every time they add new content these days, all it comes down to is reputation bars and boring repeatables. Does someone on staff need to grow an imagination? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefali View Post
    My friends already quitted because this new zone. I wouldn't mind the Fangorn quests, but the crafting instances are something so poorly done, I would ask why should I pay anything anymore to Turbine? They took every part of them from previous instances, there is 0 of invention in them and you should grind them every day instead of quests. Are they insane?
    Limlight gorge was original atleast, you had a nice instance there which was connected to it with a boss fight. This is much worse.
    I wouldn't say the crafting instances were poorly done, they seem ok to me. Yes they've recycled some scenery but they haven't really repeated anything. Anyway I view crafting instances as an easy way to get craft materials - that's how they've always been presented at other levels. But in Fangorn they are pretty much the ONLY way to get Fangorn rep and leaves. If the "stewards of fangorn" deed quests were repeatables it would make life in Fangorn somewhat more pleasant but as it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Celebria View Post
    I don't care what you call it - a mini-region, a blurb, a footnote in history, the Entwood is a grindy, boring place. Not even what I would consider a handful of quests but with a full rep expectation and sky-high barter item prices. I mean, this is ridiculous. Even Book 14, was it? Very, very brief. Hytbold was mind-numbingly boring, something Turbine has decided is how MMOs are supposed to be, but even that had more quests to do each day. I've been disappointed overall with this update. Every time they add new content these days, all it comes down to is reputation bars and boring repeatables. Does someone on staff need to grow an imagination? I think so.
    Yes I agree. There was a lot of blurb in the leadup to update 13 about how we would explore flooded Isengard but a couple of hours questing there and it's all done, never to be seen again. They could have added some repeatables here to give rep and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbug View Post
    Not only diverse but extremely diverse?

No wonder the bar is set so low.
    Hahaa! I think you hit my perspective on LotRO perfectly. I hold Turbine's ability to produce content for a 7-10 year old game extremely low because its an old, low population MMO that has maintained Turbine support even with changing market situations.

I always tell people on my server to set expectations extremely low for this game and be pleasantly surprised when you run into unexpected things from an update. There are plenty of other big budget MMOs on the market if that is what you seek, but LotRO has never been and will never be one of those games. Looking at LotRO from that perspective, you will enjoy your gaming experience much more imo.

I don't mind Fangorn being a small area with a few quests - it's mainly just a story-filling addition.

However, the barter costs for the recipes and other items is waaaaaaaay out of proportion to the ability to earn leaves. 400 leaves for one of the one-shot recipes is nuts. That's weeks of doing the dailies and crafting instances just for one recipe. The costs as a whole look both wacky and extreme - everything except the kindred recipes is 100 leaves.

I hope these are placeholder costs which are in-game by mistake. If they are correct then that sort of extreme cost will (for me at least) have the opposite of its intended effect - I won't grind that much. Reduce the kindred recipe costs to 50 each and bring the other items down to 10-15 leaves, then I'll merrily do the content every day on different characters. As it stands I'm already done with Fangorn.
    [CENTER]Tarmas Elf Champion R13 | Tarmeg Elf Guardian R6 | Tarmil 95 Elf Warden | Tarmun Elf Hunter R6 | Tarmot Elf Minstrel R6 | Tarmyr Elf Loremaster R6
    Strawn Reaver R6 | Strawz Warg R6 | Strawk Blackarrow R6 | Strawx Warleader R6 | Strawb Defiler R6 | Strawt Weaver R6[/CENTER]

turbine reduced the leaves cost for the cook recipes and scholar recipes in fangorn from 100 leaves down to 5 leaves each, Hopefully they will consider reducing the crafting recipes down to 25 each and the kindred armour recipes down to 150-250 since lvl 100 is fast approaching in a couple months.

turbine reduced the leaves cost for the cook recipes and scholar recipes in fangorn from 100 leaves down to 5 leaves each, Hopefully they will consider reducing the crafting recipes down to 25 each and the kindred armour recipes down to 150-250 since lvl 100 is fast approaching in a couple months.
    Oh, that's a good change, was that made with the maintenance downtime?

Quote Originally Posted by zalladi View Post
    Oh, that's a good change, was that made with the maintenance downtime?
    It was a remote change they made without a patch, same way they took OD wound offline without a patch I guess. Seems in the last few years they've added a lot of tools to change the game without patches.

Well I was intitally excited by Entwood but when I saw that the quests were done quick and the only repeatables are the seed quest and the daily defence quest (and Im not counting the crafting quests) to get 300 rep daily, with a little bit more after 4 days with seed quest completion.. Im wondering what the point of it is.

IF.... the update is in a few months, whereby we have another 5 or 10 levels.. then Im figuring that by the time I could get Kindred then the rewards from that will be pretty pointless.

ATM..its worse than Wildermore, at least there were more daily quests.. and well.. the rewards, like Wildermore are pointless.

I understand Ents take a long time to do anything, but.. I also understand they goto sleep when there's nothing to do.
    Second Marshal Jevyan of Eldar
    Lvl105 : Mini LM RK Capt Champ Hunt Burg Guard R7: WL Def. Player from the beginning in 2007
    I can heal lots but I can't heal stupid