We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    Given the size of Gondor on the map, I should expect that both landmasses in total should cover a similar area to the two Rohan landmasses.
    Indeed they should, but those were expansion sized regions. While I hope that they are that big, I have my doubts, though in that most recent map of Gondor, it did show a lot of mountains near Dol Amroth, which could mean that the connection to Pelargir is a long and thin one until you get a bit closer on to the open ground. However, if they don't do that then the possibility is that this:

Quote Originally Posted by Isy View Post
    Based on the scale of southern Gondor, I would've thought we're looking at two separate landmasses. First the Paths of the Dead from Dunharrow to Gondor, leading south to Dol Amroth for Lv95-100. And then I would imagine we board a ship to be transported to the eastern zone (not physically connected to western section) surrounding Pelargir where we take the Corsair ships from behind.
    will happen. And I really don't want to see this, as it would ruin the cohesive nature of the game world - I want to be able to walk directly from Ered Luin to Minas Tirith, or Minas Morgul eventually; while there is already a loading screen near Duillond and at the Fords, more should be avoided if at all possible, if only for the sake of the chickens.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    Indeed they should, but those were expansion sized regions. While I hope that they are that big, I have my doubts, though in that most recent map of Gondor, it did show a lot of mountains near Dol Amroth, which could mean that the connection to Pelargir is a long and thin one until you get a bit closer on to the open ground. However, if they don't do that then the possibility is that this:

will happen. And I really don't want to see this, as it would ruin the cohesive nature of the game world - I want to be able to walk directly from Ered Luin to Minas Tirith, or Minas Morgul eventually; while there is already a loading screen near Duillond and at the Fords, more should be avoided if at all possible, if only for the sake of the chickens.
    Yes, yes, exactly! We don't need anymore loading screens as it breaks the immersion of the game world. I'm ok with the loading screen at the Gap of Rohan, but that's enough for the sake of people who really want to feel like they are in Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgoing View Post
    Yes, yes, exactly! We don't need anymore loading screens as it breaks the immersion of the game world. I'm ok with the loading screen at the Gap of Rohan, but that's enough for the sake of people who really want to feel like they are in Middle Earth.
    There will be a loading screen either way, even when Gondor is connected to Rohan at Minas Tirith. The new Gondor areas will have to be on an entirely new map, just like Eriador and Rovanion are two different maps and require loading to pass between them. The bottom edge of the Rhovanion map is where the White Mountains are, you can especially see this if you use the Terrain Map plugin. So we will be loading into a new map any way we enter Gondor.

Goreamir - 100 Cap | Jinwe - 88 Hnt | Celebourne - 90 Champ | Humblefoot - 75 Min | Dorfus - 74 Grd | Creonath - 55 Wdn | Stormcraban - 35 LM | Whippit - 35 Brg | Thangadir - 33 RK | Bucksexton - 24 Bng

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post
    I posted this a while back in the thread with the letter announcing this, but it recieved no notice among the 25 pages of bickering about beornings:

This is the area described, with the three major points pointed out, Erech is where we would start, assuming we woudl start from the exit of the Paths of the Dead. If they actually give us all of this, it would be at least as big as all of Rohan, which is why I don't have my hopes up, since it's scheduled to all come out this year, along with the Dead Marshes update. That's a lot of landmass to put out within 8 months, unless tey have had a huge head start on building it already. But I have a feeling it will only be smaller areas based around those cities, since he described the updates by the names of the cities, and not "East/West Gondor", or "Lebennin/Belfalas", etc. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Hmmmmmm.

If we start at Erech, it would mean that our characters
    don't go through the Paths of the Dead.

(I don't see how we could go there, unless in session play
    as a Ranger. The Dead don't allow ordinary mortals to pass
    through, and even though we are heroes and all that, we're
    not the descendants of Isildur.)

So that would relieve my mind considerably.

We'll just have to wait and see what summer brings.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Hmmmmmm.

If we start at Erech, it would mean that our characters
    don't go through the Paths of the Dead.

(I don't see how we could go there, unless in session play
    as a Ranger. The Dead don't allow ordinary mortals to pass
    through, and even though we are heroes and all that, we're
    not the descendants of Isildur.)

So that would relieve my mind considerably.

We'll just have to wait and see what summer brings.
    It would be possible if we go through the Paths of the Dead after Aragorn - he will have taken them all with him, and the only occupants would be beasts, or any orcs etc who'd sneaked in after the dead had left.

Just a thought but it has been noted by those in the position to know that there are always tasks assigned which far exceed even the current release cycle. (meaning the usual calendar year.)

The assumption being made here is that all this land-mass has to be built-out in the months ahead and hasn't been roughed-out already. Plus it also suggests that every square inch would be explorable in the first place which isn't likely.

They could have been gnawing away at the raw map for years already. One video stream Turbine put out this year had several people noting that having two Isenguards, one pre and one post breaking was already figured out internally for years.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

We HAVE seen a bit of Gondor already, in the session play "At the Stone of Erech", so I'd say it's a safe bet that they had already built a fair portion when that session play was introduced.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    We HAVE seen a bit of Gondor already, in the session play "At the Stone of Erech", so I'd say it's a safe bet that they had already built a fair portion when that session play was introduced.
    You've seen more than that. Stand on Amon Hen and look at the Mouths of the Entwash. That's the northernmost parts of Anorien.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    You've seen more than that. Stand on Amon Hen and look at the Mouths of the Entwash. That's the northernmost parts of Anorien.
    True, true. I keep forgetting about that bit. Because Mordor.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    .: Dannach, 100 WDN :.: Daire, 83 LMR :.: Gyrefalcon, 92 CHN :.: Brandon, 72 CPT :.: Honey, 71 GRD :.: Griffon, 69 HNT :.: Kaelenea, 72 RNK :.
    .: Iryth, 56 WDN :.: Baye, 56 WDN :.: Samtal, 64 WDN :.:Dunnock, 56 WDN :.: Sedgewald, 68 LMR :.: Breyon, 41 CHN :.: Tieran, 50 HNT :.

I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

My kin and I consider Gondor to be a rather higher priority than the new class. Based on Tolkien's maps, I would expect the first L95-100 area to be around the size of Eastern Rohan (though it could include impassable mountainous areas). Anything much smaller than this would be extremely disappointing. We also expect the Pelargir update to be contiguous with the later Dol Amroth update and the rest of Gondor. Personally I will not even bother playing the new class if Gondor is substandard.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorthnoth View Post
    It would be possible if we go through the Paths of the Dead after Aragorn - he will have taken them all with him, and the only occupants would be beasts, or any orcs etc who'd sneaked in after the dead had left.
    Hm, yes, you're right; that could work.

Don't try it before Aragorn has passed through, though.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Didn't Legolas, Gimli, Elrohir and Elladan go through with Aragorn? No reason why we can't hold Halbarad's hand.
    Crickhollow
    Lv 100 Loxsley Man Hunter
    Lv 77 Vetyran Man Captain
    Lv 75 Tungsten Dwarf Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Beorthnoth View Post
    Because of course the Orcs would be queueing up outside the Dwimorberg to get in the second the Dead had gone

The place had been a haunted deathtrap for thousands of years and nobody could have known ahead of time that the Dead were going to leave!

Quote Originally Posted by dietlbomb View Post
    Given the size of Gondor on the map, I should expect that both landmasses in total should cover a similar area to the two Rohan landmasses.
    I'd be really surprised if the landmass amount that we recieve in two free updates is going to be the same amount as what we received in two paid expansions. Given the small level cap that we're going to receive in each update, I'd expect the total landmass to be, at best, only about the size of eastern Rohan. Hope I'm wrong.
    Don't vote for Sapience...vote for meeeee!!!!!

I am actually a little frustrated at this...i am already behind on Hytbold and all that...why grind when new stuff comes so fast x.x oh well
    Truth and Justice

All that travel makes people hungry. So I'm just looking forward to getting to the White Castle.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

Rowan is offline Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™
    Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    All that travel makes people hungry. So I'm just looking forward to getting to the White Castle.
    I hear they have great Auroch sliders.
    Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I hear they have great Auroch sliders.
    You know, Rowan--you really need to preface your posts with a "Please return all liquid libations to your desktop before reading" warning. Your one-liners are going to be the death of someone's keyboard or monitor if this keeps up.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Because of course the Orcs would be queueing up outside the Dwimorberg to get in the second the Dead had gone

The place had been a haunted deathtrap for thousands of years and nobody could have known ahead of time that the Dead were going to leave!
    You know how Orcs are... As soon as the "For Sale" sign went up, they were moving in. Orcs do like a good cave.
    Originally Posted by Damian6988
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrawn View Post
    There will be a loading screen either way, even when Gondor is connected to Rohan at Minas Tirith. The new Gondor areas will have to be on an entirely new map, just like Eriador and Rovanion are two different maps and require loading to pass between them. The bottom edge of the Rhovanion map is where the White Mountains are, you can especially see this if you use the Terrain Map plugin. So we will be loading into a new map any way we enter Gondor.
    Hang on, so you're saying that Rhovanion has already reached its limitations? How does the Terrain Map plugin establish this? I'm going to be really disappointed if this is the case.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post
    You know how Orcs are... As soon as the "For Sale" sign went up, they were moving in. Orcs do like a good cave.
    Heck, there were already some living nearby! I seem to remember killing all of them, though, which would make it a little difficult to move in. (Well, maybe not. It didn't stop the previous occupants, after all.)
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgoing View Post
    Whoa, interesting. I didn't know Peragir was shaped like a triangle.
    Me, too. I've never read about that...

The detailed map of Gondor posted by Celebrawn I just found today while posting in the German forum to this topic. And also I repeating myself just in another language:

These areas give massive possibilties to work with them creating some hidden viewcatchers, difficult to reach-areas and also difficult group content or at least group quests without bothering the normal quest lines just for players who have interest in these. The mountains near Dol Amroth would be very suitable for this. You could need to find these areas first and without searching for it it could be very unlikely to find them by chance. And eben if they don't fill the whole landmass the mountains would be close so that they could be at the edge of the map...

It would be great to find once again hidden valleys (like Floid&Dewitt in Dunland), only through Jump&Run or similar reachable peaks which may have old watch towers on their top or near the top to look over the surrounding areas and ruins and small villages or farmsteads throughout the landscape without quests leading to it. Some of these locations but not all should have independet quests or quest chains which you have to explore on your own to get these quests and not quest lines leading to it. IMO that's a really important part of the unique atmosphere of LotRO and especially these vast, but still very varying landscapes are suitable for this kind of content.

Concerning the Paths of the Dead:

Didn't Rowan said that we will somehow explore/experience the Paths of the Dead with U14? On the one hand we'll probably go through there after Aragorn and the Grey Company have taken all the Deads "with them" so like others have written it would be a mostly vacant area, or we go with them as we're kind of part of the Grey Company (we got the clothes during the quests of Volume 3 Book 5 Chapter 1) or we'll experience it through session play talking with Halbarad, Aragorn or someone else about their way through the paths of the dead while we found another path and used that one to the valley of Erech (maybe an orc cave with tunnels).

Although I found these two pictures of Edhellond, the first one being from John Howe in 2003 - a version I would prefer to be more different from the close Dol Amroth if they would create both locations and not only Dol Amroth:

The second link somehow doesn't like to be embedded. So here it is.

Orodbril

Just yesterday I walked out of the side entrance of Beaconwatch down the east road to the river. The guards there let me cross the river but an invisible wall prevents me going further than the other side of the river. This seems like one of two ways we can head into Gondor.

That seems a huge area to produce for a non-expansion update. In fact, even for an expansion.

However, I remember once a dev said the actual landscape creation is done relatively quickly, and its the content within that area and the new systems they tend to launch with expansions that take long (legendary system, skirmishes, etc)

So that said, is it possible that they would add a relatively empty wilderness with a lower density of quest hubs, quest content concentrating near those quest hubs so that questing feels similar to now, but huge 'empty' areas for us to explore, with maybe just some exploration deeds and some roaming named mobs with a deed attached?

I'd love that! (One can dream)

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post

Granted, but where's the fun in walking through a totally deserted Paths of the Dead just to get to Erech

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast